What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Greg Jennings to Vikings, now Dolphins (2 Viewers)

trader jake said:
If the Jaguars sign Jennngs, it strikes me as more of a locker room/veteran move than one to add anything on the field. Other than the connection with Philbin from their Green Bay days, the Dolphins don't make much sense for either side. Miami already has that role covered on the field and the locker room seems fine a year removed from their issues. The team that makes the most sense is Carolina. We'll see if Gettleman agrees.
From a fantasy perspective, Carolina would be best for him. However, Miami just got rid of 3 of their top 4 WRs from last year. The only guy out of that top 4 that they still have (Landry) averaged 9.0 ypr. They did add Kenny Stills, but you have to admit they could use another outside wide receiver. Landy and Matthews are the only notable incumbents and they are both slot guys.

After announcing he'd found a new team on Twitter on Tuesday, free agent Greg Jennings ultimately signed with nobody.
It was Jennings' lame attempt at an April Fools' Day joke
that's kind of sad
The joke was surely on us.
dang. word around here yesterday (or the day before?) was he signed with the Panthers. Would have been a good fit, pathetic joke.
Guess what? I just got hired to be CEO of Citibank.

April Fools. Ha! Ha! I'm still unemployed. I got you good.

Wow, what an idiot
He liked the educational opportunities, the culture of the city, and he wanted to give his former teammates a chance to shine.Or maybe his new coach asked him to keep away from the media for a while. Somebody check his sister's account.

Last edited by a moderator:
After announcing he'd found a new team on Twitter on Tuesday, free agent Greg Jennings ultimately signed with nobody.
It was Jennings' lame attempt at an April Fools' Day joke
that's kind of sad
The joke was surely on us.
dang. word around here yesterday (or the day before?) was he signed with the Panthers. Would have been a good fit, pathetic joke.
Guess what? I just got hired to be CEO of Citibank.

April Fools. Ha! Ha! I'm still unemployed. I got you good.
More like "Haha, I'm worth $30M, have fun at work tomorrow!"

Rotoworld:

Dolphins signed WR Greg Jennings to a two-year, $8 million contract.

Jennings gives Miami a veteran presence behind Jarvis Landry and Kenny Stills. He has a strong ties to HC Joe Philbin, who spent six years with Jennings in Green Bay. Jennings has been in major decline the last three seasons and turns 32 in September. The Dolphins will likely use Jennings on the outside in three-wide sets, with Jarvis Landry remaining in the slot. Jennings should be a candidate for 45-55 catches on the Dolphins, but is unlikely to reemerge as a significant fantasy contributor.

Source: Rand Getlin on Twitter
Apr 22 - 5:50 PM

Rotoworld:

Jennings gives Miami a veteran presence behind Jarvis Landry and Kenny Stills. He has a strong ties to HC Joe Philbin, who spent six years with Jennings in Green Bay. Jennings has been in major decline the last three seasons and turns 32 in September. The Dolphins will likely use Jennings on the outside in three-wide sets, with Jarvis Landry remaining in the slot. Jennings should be a candidate for 45-55 catches on the Dolphins, but is unlikely to reemerge as a significant fantasy contributor.

This is actually a good signing for both parties. Tannehill is the best QB Jennings will have since Rodgers. Jennings is basically in that mold of a Reggie Wayne, a crisp route runner with better-than-you-think metrics. At 32, he's still got a good 2-4 years left in the tank, imo. I would expect a thousand yards and 6+ TDs this season.

Rotoworld:

This is actually a good signing for both parties. Tannehill is the best QB Jennings will have since Rodgers. Jennings is basically in that mold of a Reggie Wayne, a crisp route runner with better-than-you-think metrics. At 32, he's still got a good 2-4 years left in the tank, imo. I would expect a thousand yards and 6+ TDs this season.
I agree with everything except the part about expecting 1000 yards. This situation is going to be a little weird because they just brought in Stills and Cameron and Landry is already eating up the slot targets. IF Jennings returns to his role as an outside receiver and can still get open downfield then he could feasibly get to 1000 yards like Hartline did in 2013. I just don't know if he'll get enough targets to do it. I mean, Wallace never cracked 1000 yards in the last two seasons (930 and 862) despite 141 and 115 targets.

Just looking at last year, Hartline (63) and Wallace (115) are vacating 178 WR targets. And Clay is vacating 84 at TE +9 for Dion Sims during the two games Clay missed, so let's say 93. Personally, I expect Cameron to garner more than 93 targets. So the real question is going to be how are targets split between Stills and Jennings? Another important question is do these guys eat into Landry's targets? Landry saw 40 targets in the first eight games and 72 in the last eight.

Miami ranked in the bottom third of the league with only 334 RB rushes while throwing the ball 590 times last year. It was the first year with Lazor as the OC, so that's all we've really got to go by. I'd still speculate they'd have liked to have run it more if possible. There were 364 WR targets and 124 TE targets. The 4th WR did see 51 targets last year so it is possible Cameron just steals some of those while Jennings, Stills, and Landry get the bulk of the remaining WR targets. Even so, I doubt any of them get more than 120 and it appears Landry is most likely to be the guy and he'll likely continue his paltry <10 ypr. So this situation may not pan out well for anyone except Cameron and Tannehill. Given people's reaction to older guys coming off bad years, Jennings will still probably be a nice value as a bye week filler/weak WR3 but we'll need to let his ADP shake out before I can say that for sure. I think he's got a good shot at 110 targets, 65 receptions, 850 yards, and 6 TD.

Rotoworld:

I agree with everything except the part about expecting 1000 yards. This situation is going to be a little weird because they just brought in Stills and Cameron and Landry is already eating up the slot targets. IF Jennings returns to his role as an outside receiver and can still get open downfield then he could feasibly get to 1000 yards like Hartline did in 2013. I just don't know if he'll get enough targets to do it. I mean, Wallace never cracked 1000 yards in the last two seasons (930 and 862) despite 141 and 115 targets.

Just looking at last year, Hartline (63) and Wallace (115) are vacating 178 WR targets. And Clay is vacating 84 at TE +9 for Dion Sims during the two games Clay missed, so let's say 93. Personally, I expect Cameron to garner more than 93 targets. So the real question is going to be how are targets split between Stills and Jennings? Another important question is do these guys eat into Landry's targets? Landry saw 40 targets in the first eight games and 72 in the last eight.

Miami ranked in the bottom third of the league with only 334 RB rushes while throwing the ball 590 times last year. It was the first year with Lazor as the OC, so that's all we've really got to go by. I'd still speculate they'd have liked to have run it more if possible. There were 364 WR targets and 124 TE targets. The 4th WR did see 51 targets last year so it is possible Cameron just steals some of those while Jennings, Stills, and Landry get the bulk of the remaining WR targets. Even so, I doubt any of them get more than 120 and it appears Landry is most likely to be the guy and he'll likely continue his paltry <10 ypr. So this situation may not pan out well for anyone except Cameron and Tannehill. Given people's reaction to older guys coming off bad years, Jennings will still probably be a nice value as a bye week filler/weak WR3 but we'll need to let his ADP shake out before I can say that for sure. I think he's got a good shot at 110 targets, 65 receptions, 850 yards, and 6 TD.
I think that is about the best case scenario for Jennings. His game is just about completely devoid of big plays. He's got 4 plays of 30+ yards in the last two years. The last time he broke 1000 yards was 2010. What he is now is a savvy vet that can find an opening in a zone. He still runs good routes, but he's clearly lost a step or two.

The Vikings had nothing at WR or TE for the past two years, and Jennings managed 68/804 and 59/742 in each of the past two years respectively. He's now going to a team with a much better corp of WRs than the Vikings had. Rudolph was only able to stay on the field half the time, so while Cameron's health is a concern, he's a quality target as well.

I think Jennings is no higher than 4th on the pecking order in Miami, and is looking at 40-50 catches and 450-600 yards.

Rotoworld:

I think that is about the best case scenario for Jennings. His game is just about completely devoid of big plays. He's got 4 plays of 30+ yards in the last two years. The last time he broke 1000 yards was 2010. What he is now is a savvy vet that can find an opening in a zone. He still runs good routes, but he's clearly lost a step or two.

The Vikings had nothing at WR or TE for the past two years, and Jennings managed 68/804 and 59/742 in each of the past two years respectively. He's now going to a team with a much better corp of WRs than the Vikings had. Rudolph was only able to stay on the field half the time, so while Cameron's health is a concern, he's a quality target as well.

I think Jennings is no higher than 4th on the pecking order in Miami, and is looking at 40-50 catches and 450-600 yards.
The Vikings also had nothing at QB the past two years. And you are calling Patterson, a 1st round pick, and Rudolph nothing?

You sound a little bit like a bitter GB fan. Citing 2010 is obviously misleading since he likely would've had 1000 yards in 2011 and 2012 if he hadn't been injured. Sure, the last two years have not been pretty for his stat line, but nothing has been pretty about the Vikings' passing game. I'm not sure anyone was going to shine with that combo of QBs. I mean, Ponder played 9 games in 2013. You really going to hold numbers against a guy when half of those numbers came with Christian Ponder at the helm?? Nobody is catching 30+ yard passes from Christian Ponder.

FWIW, in the last two years, Jennings ranks 36th in WR targets and 34th in WR fantasy points, so despite the Vikings being the 24th ranked passing attack in the last two years, Jennings has held his own against other WRs getting better passes from better QBs. This indicates that rather than losing "a step or two" that his physical decline is being greatly exaggerated.

I'm in the camp that realizes WRs don't fall off a cliff after 30 like RBs (Boldin, 34, and Steve Smith, 35, both cracked 1000 yards last year), so I'm not writing off Jennings' physical ability at age 32. I'm more worried about his situation. Tannehill is showing promise, increasing his TD:INT ratio every year (very respectable 27:12 last year), but he struggled to connect deep with Wallace for two years and hasn't cracked 7.0 ypa in his three year career. The problem very well could've just been his chemistry with Wallace, so maybe his ypa gaps up this year, but I couldn't ask anyone to take that leap of faith.

Already calling Jennings the 4th option seems a bit premature. Cameron can't see to stay healthy, Landry and his 9.0 ypr should never be very high up the progression list, and Stills only had 83 targets last year and could be a product of Drew Brees/Sean Payton. There is a lot to shake out here.

Rotoworld:

The Vikings also had nothing at QB the past two years. And you are calling Patterson, a 1st round pick, and Rudolph nothing?

You sound a little bit like a bitter GB fan. Citing 2010 is obviously misleading since he likely would've had 1000 yards in 2011 and 2012 if he hadn't been injured. Sure, the last two years have not been pretty for his stat line, but nothing has been pretty about the Vikings' passing game. I'm not sure anyone was going to shine with that combo of QBs. I mean, Ponder played 9 games in 2013. You really going to hold numbers against a guy when half of those numbers came with Christian Ponder at the helm?? Nobody is catching 30+ yard passes from Christian Ponder.

FWIW, in the last two years, Jennings ranks 36th in WR targets and 34th in WR fantasy points, so despite the Vikings being the 24th ranked passing attack in the last two years, Jennings has held his own against other WRs getting better passes from better QBs. This indicates that rather than losing "a step or two" that his physical decline is being greatly exaggerated.

I'm in the camp that realizes WRs don't fall off a cliff after 30 like RBs (Boldin, 34, and Steve Smith, 35, both cracked 1000 yards last year), so I'm not writing off Jennings' physical ability at age 32. I'm more worried about his situation. Tannehill is showing promise, increasing his TD:INT ratio every year (very respectable 27:12 last year), but he struggled to connect deep with Wallace for two years and hasn't cracked 7.0 ypa in his three year career. The problem very well could've just been his chemistry with Wallace, so maybe his ypa gaps up this year, but I couldn't ask anyone to take that leap of faith.

Already calling Jennings the 4th option seems a bit premature. Cameron can't see to stay healthy, Landry and his 9.0 ypr should never be very high up the progression list, and Stills only had 83 targets last year and could be a product of Drew Brees/Sean Payton. There is a lot to shake out here.
Yes, I am calling Patterson and Rudolph nothing. Rudolph barely played 1/2 the games the past two years, and seemed limited in many of the ones he did play. Patterson is a good returner, bad receiver. I happen to think Rudolph is a good player, he just hasn't been healthy.

I'm not bitter about anything having to do with Greg Jennings. I just think he's not what he once was. I think the fact that he's been on the open market for 5 weeks should tell us something as well. He also won't factor in to any comp pick formulas because he was released from the Vikings, which should have made him even more attractive to NFL teams.

Across his last 45 starts, dating back to week 8 of 2011, Jennings has exactly 2 games of 100+ yards. That includes 14 games with Aaron Rodgers at QB. Jennings has averaged 48 yards per game over that time span. (768 yards/season). The 45 games before that he averaged 79 yards/game with fifteen 100+ yard games. (1264 yards/season).

Obviously, there is a difference in QB play after he got to the Vikings. I'm just not buying into the guy this year though. He's not only looked slower, but his numbers have gone from WR1 to WR4. Boldin and Smith are borderline HOF candidates. I'm just not seeing Jennings in nearly the same light as either of those guys, and don't see the career renaissance coming for him.

Food for thought:

Greg Jennings' two-year, $8 million deal with the Dolphins included a $3 million signing bonus.

This isn't a late-career flier contract. The $3 million bonus assures Jennings of a roster spot, and a $4 million year-one commitment suggests the Fins are counting on Jennings for a relatively significant role. The Jennings signing also may discourage the Dolphins from using a high pick at wide receiver, which would be good news for Jarvis Landry, Kenny Stills, and Jordan Cameron's fantasy values. Apr 24 - 12:50 AM

Rotoworld:

New Dolphins WR Greg Jennings says he'd "love" to run more routes outside after spending the majority of his time in the slot the past two seasons.

Per Pro Football Focus, 66.8 percent of Jennings' routes came in the slot last season. The slot is Jarvis Landry's home in Miami, so Jennings is going to get his wish. However, it should only stand to make him less efficient. Jennings averaged 64 catches over the past two years. We doubt he comes close to that in 2015.

Source: Armando Salguero on Twitter
Apr 23 - 3:28 PM

Rotoworld:

Greg Jennings - WR - Dolphins

Greg Jennings, Kenny Stills and Jarvis Landry were the Dolphins' first-team wideouts as OTAs opened Tuesday.
DeVante Parker is getting the rookie treatment as he'll mix in slowly. Ultimately, we'd expect Jennings to be the odd man out here. But he was given an $8 million contract that included $3 million guaranteed, so he's not going away. It's a reminder that this pass-catching corps -- one that also includes TE Jordan Cameron -- is stacked. There will be heavy competition for snaps and targets.

Related: Kenny Stills, Jarvis Landry, DeVante Parker

May 26 - 11:42 AM

Rotoworld:

According to the Miami Herald, Greg Jennings "could be anywhere from second to fourth" in the Dolphins' wide receiver pecking order.

Miami beat writers have Jarvis Landry penciled in as the Dolphins' nominal No. 1 receiver. Behind him, Jennings, Kenny Stills, and eventually first-round pick DeVante Parker (foot surgery) will vie for snaps and targets. Ryan Tannehill recently talked up Jennings' crisp route running. "It’s unbelievable how he can break corners down, with his savviness of how to get guys leaning." In an ideal world, Parker (X), Stills (Z), and Landry (slot) would emerge as Miami's top-three wideouts, with Jennings as the primary backup to each position.

Source: Miami Herald

Jul 10 - 11:14 PM

Rotoworld:

The Miami Herald's Armando Salguero reports the Dolphins coaches "love" Greg Jennings.

Salguero fully expects Jennings to make the team and be a top-four receiver. The soon-to-be 32-year-old has impressed onlookers with his route running, leadership, and professionalism, which is a plus in a very young receiving corps. It's a sign this could be a true committee approach at receiver behind Jarvis Landry, with Jennings, Kenny Stills, and DeVante Parker filling certain roles and not providing much fantasy consistency.

Jennings retired, per his website and per NFL Network. 

Nice career for the man who worked his way into a stellar rotation in Green Bay.  

Users who are viewing this thread