What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Darnell Mooney, CHI (1 Viewer)

Darnell Mooney has bulked up to 183 pounds this offseason. 

Mooney played in the "low 170s" his first two years in the league. "With the help of a daily creatine shake, a Muscle Milk in the evening and a bowl of Froot Loops before bed, he hit 183 recently," Dan Pompei reported. Although his 986 snaps were already fifth most amongst receivers in 2021, Mooney has said he is focusing on increasing his stamina this offseason, in part because new OC Luke Getsy wants him to "explode off the ball on every play, pass or run, so defenders don’t get a read on play intention." According to WRs coach Tyke Tolbert, the coaching staff wants to make Mooney a "moving target, going from outside to the slot, on the ball to off the ball, and sending him in motion before the snap." Frankly, these are "all the right things" we need to be hearing for Mooney as he enters a No. 1 receiver role he is miscast for on paper. The WR28 in summer Underdog drafts, Mooney will be a fascinating re-draft season ADP. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jul 14, 2022, 4:21 PM ET

The only question is whether Fields and the offense can get it to him consistently in plus situations.  He's going to draw a lot of attention not to mention the offensive line is arguably the worst in the League.

Mooney is one of the tougher reads to draft.

He’s a really underrated receiver - great route runner, good hands, explosive. He’s got a real runway to an elite target share, but just don’t know if he’ll get it with few other options around him to draw away coverage. 

Ross Tucker (former O Lineman) on his podcast said the backup Eagles O line is better than the starting O Line for the Bears.  Bears were easily ranked last.

It's really really bad, worse than last year.   Could create huge problems for the entire offense.

I highly recommend Ross Tuckers 2 part podcast where he ranks the O Lines...just more knowledge to have in your arsenal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ross Tucker (former O Lineman) on his podcast said the backup Eagles O line is better than the starting O Line for the Bears.  Bears were easily ranked last.

It's really really bad, worse than last year.   Could create huge problems for the entire offense.

I highly recommend Ross Tuckers 2 part podcast where he ranks the O Lines...just more knowledge to have in your arsenal.
Poor Justin Fields. His second season and he’s behind the worst line in the league with a WR corp. of Mooney, Pringle, Jones and Harry. Give this kid a chance.

Poor Justin Fields. His second season and he’s behind the worst line in the league with a WR corp. of Mooney, Pringle, Jones and Harry. Give this kid a chance.

He really has no shot this year.  Will be running for his life unless the O line shocks the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
He really has no shot this year.  Will be running for his life unless the O line shocks the world.
Meh.  They are moving to a run first offense.  That'll be a bigger downfall for both Mooney and Fields' fantasy stats, but I believe it'll be better for their development long term.

The thing is their run play-calling was predictable as hell the last couple of years. Nagy could occasionally scheme somebody open in the passing game but was absolutely terrible in his run calls. D-linemen were regularly jumping the snap count (and yet somehow Montgomery and Herbert were able to be productive). I'm not going to argue that the O Line talent isn't lacking but if the scheme improves even a little bit, it will make a big difference for the entire offense.

Trubisky was asked what the biggest difference was when he went from Chicago to Buffalo (he was asked when he was signed by the Steelers) and he said that the coaches in Buffalo actually communicated with him. Allen Robinson and others have had similar stories. Nagy also only called a limited number of designed runs for Fields last year (because he is an idiot) but the new staff is putting in RPO and playing to Fields' strengths. 

I realize the OL talent is an issue but I think there is reason to be optimistic for fantasy purposes. Especially for the price the Bears skill players are going. Mooney is going to get 150 targets regardless of the OL play. We just don't want Fields to get killed or for the run game to be stagnant.

Meh.  They are moving to a run first offense.  That'll be a bigger downfall for both Mooney and Fields' fantasy stats, but I believe it'll be better for their development long term.
It’s going to be really hard to be a run first offense without running lanes. They may start  that way but they’ll be playing catch-up often. 

Reminds me too much of David Carr. Talent is there but the team isn’t setting him up for success. 

It’s going to be really hard to be a run first offense without running lanes. They may start  that way but they’ll be playing catch-up often. 

Reminds me too much of David Carr. Talent is there but the team isn’t setting him up for success. 
The OL was not good last season, but Nagy's schemes didn't set them (or Fields) up for any kind of success.  That inflexibility was the "offensive genius' " downfall.  This OL will not be anywhere near elite, but they will be markedly improved from last season and I expect there to be a great deal of running, play action, and RPO.  

As for Mooney, I'm projecting 85/1025/7 on 125 targets

This OL will not be anywhere near elite, but they will be markedly improved from last season and I expect there to be a great deal of running, play action, and RPO.  

As for Mooney, I'm projecting 85/1025/7 on 125 targets

Not saying you are wong, but a lot of analysts like Ross Tucker are ranking this O Line dead last in the NFL.

Not saying you are wong, but a lot of analysts like Ross Tucker are ranking this O Line dead last in the NFL.

Obviously looking through some rose colored glasses here, but I expect Jenkins to elevate his play significantly this season after a rough rookie outing that included back surgery in September and  being thrown back at in in early December.  Borom was a solid find in the 5th.  Both should get markedly better.  Whitehair is a better G than C and hopefully the signing of Lucas Patrick will solidify the C position.  I'm not sure what to think about Mustipher.  He's shown flashes of playing well as well as some absolute bonehead mistakes so this year is his make/break season.

Ross Tucker (former O Lineman) on his podcast said the backup Eagles O line is better than the starting O Line for the Bears. Bears were easily ranked last.

It's really really bad, worse than last year. Could create huge problems for the entire offense.

do you have a link handy to the podcast?

He's #good. Enough said. The era of needing massive receivers has been reduced for a while. The sub 6 foot 190 lb guys are here to stay. You need quicks and shiftiness in today's league to succeed.

Darnell Mooney caught 1-of-3 targets for eight yards in the Bears' Week 1 win over the 49ers.

Mooney was also the intended target on a Justin Fields interception that was nowhere close. Fantasy managers stuck with 1.8 PPR points aren't going to want to hear it, but it was a fluky day for the Bears' No. 1 wideout. With a driving rainstorm engulfing Solider Field on the shores of Lake Michigan, Fields attempted only 17 passes, completing eight of them. That was still enough for a two-score victory in the elemental conditions. It is fair to wonder if Mooney can be a top-30 fantasy receiver in this offense, but today should not be used to condemn him. Week 2 against the Packers in Green Bay will be more telling.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Chicago is a trainwreck. Hard to catch passes that aren't even being thrown. He's not going to see my starting lineup, hate to think about dropping him but another week like the past two and I might be there.

Really happy Mooney/Kmet were clear avoids to me. People tend to overrate top options on horrible pass games in weekly lineup leagues.

Even then it's crazy Mooney/Kmet have 4 more yards than you and me through 2 games.

No idea what Chicago was doing tonight. Last week made sense, it was a monsoon. But tonight? At no point did they look like a team trying to compete with a divisional rival. They looked like a team trying to limp through to the end of the season…but it’s week 2. And their #1 goal this season HAS to be to try and figure out if Fields (a QB investment from the previous regime) flashes enough to be worth building around/not drafting another rookie QB. Instead they let him throw less than a dozen passes even with a multiple score deficit? It makes no sense.

I’ve got Mooney as a depth player that I was planning to use for bye weeks but man this is bleak. I don’t get at all what they’re doing or what they think they’re learning about their young potential franchise QB by keep him at half a dozen pass attempts for the whole game and then finally letting him throw a few, cold from a game of handing the ball off, near the end. Just disastrous in every way and if I was a Bears fan I’d be wondering what the point even is if this is what they’re doing with Fields. And it’s crazy for me to say that as a Washington fan lol. But come on.

I'm going to hold, but he's clearly going to be planted on my bench until I see reason otherwise.

Mooney did show some meaningful talent/stats last year, but starting to wonder if even having a disinterested Robinson drawing coverage was a big factor.

Not sure if Mooney is not able to separate, or it's mainly on Fields and/or the offensive line. Whatever it is, the trend is really frightening.

Mic drop. Lol.

I don't know, can a dome read defenses? Can a dome feel the blitz? Can a dome give up future draft picks to move up one spot? It's not the weather.
Hard to imagine that in the 61 years I've been on this planet the Bears have never had a stud QB, or is my memory failing me? How is that even possible? You would think the Bears could hit at least once and McMahon, Harbaugh, and Cutler don't count as hits IMO. The 85 Bears won because of their defense, just like the Ravens when they had Dilfer.
The closest they had to a stud was a little run Jim Miller had, then was suspended for creatine. McMahon would be the next.

I'm going to hold, but he's clearly going to be planted on my bench until I see reason otherwise.

Mooney did show some meaningful talent/stats last year, but starting to wonder if even having a disinterested Robinson drawing coverage was a big factor.

Not sure if Mooney is not able to separate, or it's mainly on Fields and/or the offensive line. Whatever it is, the trend is really frightening.
It’s mainly on Fields. He’s still unstartable though. They play the Texans next, it will be just like the Hou/Denver game.

It’s mainly on Fields. He’s still unstartable though. They play the Texans next, it will be just like the Hou/Denver game.

Justin calling the plays?

Mooney and Kmet played better with Dalton last year than they did Fields. Both have been 🙂

But how do attempt 11 passes when you’re behind the virtually the whole game??

How does an NFL quarterback (in normal weather) go 8 possessions / 45 minutes and throw for 40 yards?

I still can’t believe what I saw.

It's on the coaching staff, the OL and Fields. That said, Mooney was never going to be a target hog. Fields has a lot of learn......he leaves the pocket too early so it's hard to complete passes at the ADOT that Mooney's routes are. But you can't be productive if CHI only thows 11 passes in a positive game script. CHI only had 42 plays on offense. That's pathetic.

Mooney and Kmet played better with Dalton last year than they did Fields. Both have been 🙂

How does an NFL quarterback (in normal weather) go 8 possessions / 45 minutes and throw for 40 yards?

No, but its a new coaching staff also. They will grind it out until Fields progresses.

Pretty bad idea to not replenish the room with some pass-catching talent. There's a reason WR's are paid so much these days- they are game-changers that can flip field position on any given play lol

I do believe Mooney can be a variance guy, but this is straight up pathetic. 6th round pick basically up in flames. He needs effing targets but I'm also not sure if Jaire came up to play because they were talking mad **** to each other.

Staying on the bench for sure. This is a classic "once I drop him he will get back to normal and blow up" guy. Could be the opposite, but I do believe he is talented. The Metrics were truly good last year.

Yeah so the new coaching staff is not really any different than the last (hundred) coaching staffs. I swear the McCaskeys have a clause in coaches' contracts that require ballsless cowardly playcalling. I don't get it. It isn't new. *OMG did you just see AJ Brown??!!*

No, but its a new coaching staff also. They will grind it out until Fields progresses.

they don’t seem to have any interest in seeing if Fields can progress, unfortunately. Nobody is progressing with less than a dozen pass attempts (less than a half dozen while the game was still “competitive”).

Darnell Mooney caught 2-of-6 targets for 23 yards in Chicago's Week 3 win over the Texans.

It's a season-high! Mooney has 27 receiving yards in three games despite more than doubling his season target total in this one. He's probably a drop candidate in shorter leagues as the Bears continue their quest to bring 1980s football to 2022. Mooney reportedly was catching balls on the field after the game from a JUGS machine in what we would call an act of being Down Bad. Nevertheless, Mooney will take on a weak Giants secondary in Week 4.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Fields needs to clear 200 yards consistently to give this guy any value at all. Might as well drop and pick him up later if he pops

Its Fields and weird game scripts, Week 1 is a wash to me for weather, Packers own Bears etc and in Lambeau, Texans is unique I think that is typically a winnable game and if we have a shot we will lean on the run.

I'm willing to hold Mooney and expect things to change within this next slate of games. Giants will be another winnable game but with the Vikings I expect to them push the Bears to do some more on offense. He'll be on the near back end of my bench, but I can't just drop a top 72 pick. after 2 bad games. I won't count week 1.

Are
I'm willing to hold Mooney and expect things to change within this next slate of games.
Anyone else holding onto Mooney to see if things get any better - starting with the Giants next week.
Only in my league with14-teams, 3-flex starters and 10-bench spots. Our waivers are void of anything worth mentioning at all and I just lost Shepard too. He's getting let go in my short league.

Are
I'm willing to hold Mooney and expect things to change within this next slate of games.
Anyone else holding onto Mooney to see if things get any better - starting with the Giants next week.
I'm holding in the 1 redraft I have him, but replacing with Robert Woods until further notice. I did take a look at the waiver wire to see if there was anything enticing, but not enough to cut bait yet.

Are
I'm holding in the 1 redraft I have him, but replacing with Robert Woods until further notice. I did take a look at the waiver wire to see if there was anything enticing, but not enough to cut bait yet.
Contemplating dropping Mooney for either Zay Jones, Wan'dale Robinson or Toney, but just can't pull the trigger.

(FantasyPros) Darnell Mooney saw five targets against the Giants and had four catches for 94 yards. His day was highlighted by a 56-yard catch in the first half. Analysis: It was nice to see a little sign of life out of Mooney who post his best day by far of the season. However, with only eight receptions for 121 yards and no scores through four weeks there isn't much fantasy production for a run-first offense.

Users who are viewing this thread