What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Darnell Mooney, CHI (2 Viewers)

Keep looking at this kids rookie season and marvel at how impressive he was. Ran great routes, showed strong hands, is a vertical threat, saw a couple really nice contested catches, and a third of his yards were YAC. Dalton is not a world beater but if protected will be a upgrade over Mitch. The upside obviously comes in play if Fields can get in the lineup. With the deep ball accuracy he showed in college this could lead to a large increase in production for Mooney. I think over 1000 yards is coming this year for him.

Still underrated in most circles. Has a Diggs-lite upside IMO.
What do you base this idea on?

Diggs rookie season with Teddy Bridgewater in his 2nd season in 2015 84 targets 18.5% target share 52 receptions 720 yards 8.6 yards per target

Mooney with Mitch Trubisky and Foles 98 targets 16% target share 61 receptions 631 yards 6.4 yards per target.

While the number of receptions and yards are in similar ball park you need to understand that the Bears threw the ball 614 times in 2020 while the Vikings only threw the ball 454 times in 2015.

I like Mooney I think he is worth having for the 2021 season but comparing him to Diggs is too generous in my opinion.

What do you base this idea on?

Diggs rookie season with Teddy Bridgewater in his 2nd season in 2015 84 targets 18.5% target share 52 receptions 720 yards 8.6 yards per target

Mooney with Mitch Trubisky and Foles 98 targets 16% target share 61 receptions 631 yards 6.4 yards per target.

While the number of receptions and yards are in similar ball park you need to understand that the Bears threw the ball 614 times in 2020 while the Vikings only threw the ball 454 times in 2015.

I like Mooney I think he is worth having for the 2021 season but comparing him to Diggs is too generous in my opinion.
Stylistically versus statistically. Mooney’s route running ability reminds me of Diggs. Smooth out of breaks but more of a vertical threat. I am not saying he is as good as Diggs, just that he shows some of the same attributes. 

Stylistically versus statistically. Mooney’s route running ability reminds me of Diggs. Smooth out of breaks but more of a vertical threat. I am not saying he is as good as Diggs, just that he shows some of the same attributes. 
Hmm maybe so. I have not watched him enough to be sure.

I did not see the suddenness in Mooneys breaks like I did with Diggs right away. But maybe It was in a game I didn't see.

I found a guy who posted video clips of every play that Mooney was targeted in. I watched the first 7 weeks so far.

There is a lot of good but also bad as well. Mooneys hands are not above average in my opinion as he dropped some catchable balls in these games. He also does make some outstanding contested catches along the way. As I watched this I realized these QB were not just throwing prayers up to Robinson. Its how these QB are. Mooney made some great grabs on yolo balls where the DB (some times more than one DB) had just as good a chance to come down with it.

Diggs also good on the contested catches so can see some similarity there. I don't think Mooneys hands are as good as DIggs though. Not yet anyways.

They were both drafted in the 5th round and have similar size and weight profiles. I consider these things to be more coincidental similarities though.

There is a lot to like and I am glad I spent some time watching him.

Biggest fantasy football takeaways for every team from 2021 NFL training camp

Excerpt:

Darnell Mooney breakout season is officially upon us. The rising second-year stud wide receiver is a favorite sleeper of PFF's Nathan Jahnke.

He is tearing up the practice field and looks like one of the next elite NFL deep threats. The Justin Fields to Mooney connection will be special — let’s hope it happens sooner rather than later.

Bear Necessities: Sky's the limit for WR Darnell Mooney in 2021

In all seriousness, though, if Mooney *doesn't emerge* as the obvious number 2 this year, who would it be standing in his way (or cancelling him out enough)?

Javon Wims (maybe, just maybe)
Kmet (he will get a little TE slice but no TE is going to dominate targets on this team enough to worry about what other WRs can do)
Damien Byrd, Riley Ridley, Marquise Goodwin, Dazz Newsome

I mean honestly who else are they throwing the ball to? In a way that would inhibit Mooney from ascending to a *very* relevant #2 role?

Having looked at this right now I might say bump Monty and D Williams again. Only other takeaway is that I think Wims is actually pretty good and *if* someone stops Mooney it would be him. I am presuming Mooney has the talent and ability otherwise. Maybe not true either but Harmon and others think he can be elite. IDK.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t think Mooney gets enough credit for the numbers he put up as a 5th round rookie playing with subpar QBs…that was a very solid season…if Fields is legit Mooney could turn into a real quality Dynasty asset…when you look at the Bears depth chart he could not be in a better spot…ARob takes the heat as the #1 so that should take pressure off of Mooney who is still developing and after that the cupboard is pretty bare…he is a guy to go after right now because he is probably very affordable but the price could go up on a big way if Fields is legit and that offense can finally have a consistent passing attack.

Darnell Mooney (back) remained "limited" in Thursday's practice.

We have yet to hear any concern over Mooney's Week 1 status, from the coaching staff, media or otherwise, but it is always disappointing when someone comes off camp with an injury. Mooney could be in for a highly-targeted Sunday role with Jalen Ramsey all but certain to lock down Allen Robinson. Mooney is an upside WR4/5 in the early going, though Andy Dalton will be cramping his deep threat style. 

Sep 9, 2021, 6:37 PM ET

Bears WR Darnell Mooney (back) is questionable for Week 1 against the Rams, although he practiced fully on Friday.

It would be a surprise if Mooney can't go, and he'd likely be listed as "Probable" if that tag still existed. With Andy Dalton under center, the Bears may struggle against a stingy Rams secondary, so you're better off leaving Mooney on your bench in Week 1. Still, he's an intriguing breakout candidate after a productive rookie campaign.

SOURCE: Adam Beasley on Twitter

Sep 10, 2021, 4:40 PM ET

NFL Week 1 fantasy football questions and answers: 32 reporters give advice on Julio Jones, Ravens running backs, more

Excerpt:

Who ranks second on this team in targets on Sunday night (and for the season)?

Second-year wide receiver Darnell Mooney. As a rookie last season, Mooney caught 61 passes for 631 yards and four touchdowns. Mooney is determined to top those numbers in Year 2. After Allen Robinson II, Mooney figures to be the most reliable target for Andy Dalton, and then for Justin Fields, whenever the rookie takes over. -- Jeff Dickerson

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Darnell Mooney (back) is expected to play Week 1 against the Rams Sunday night.

Mooney got in a full practice Friday, so this was the expectation. But with the Bears projected to be one of the lowest-scoring teams of the week and Mooney to see a lot of Darious Williams and Jalen Ramsey, the sophomore wideout is best left on fantasy benches catching passes from Andy Dalton.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 12, 2021, 8:26 AM ET

Darnell Mooney (back) is questionable for Week 2 against the Bengals.

Mooney will be out there after a round of full practices this week. He played 100% of the snaps last Sunday night against the Rams but went 5-26-0 on seven targets in an anemic pass offense coordinated by Andy Dalton. Mooney is a WR5 until Justin Fields takes over.

Sep 17, 2021, 2:25 PM ET

What's the feeling here on Mooney with Fields going forward?

Picked him up in free agency as a flier. Hoping with Robinson drawing the attention that Mooney can put up decent PPR numbers. I'm just not sure how high the ceiling could be (or even how low the floor is).

Picked him up in free agency as a flier. Hoping with Robinson drawing the attention that Mooney can put up decent PPR numbers. I'm just not sure how high the ceiling could be (or even how low the floor is).

That’s probably a no dawg

Late Round Podcast 518 - How Rookie QBs Affect Their Teammates

Interesting study by JJ Zacharisus this summer.

We basically never see multiple pass-catchers be super fantasy relevant from a rookie quarterback's team. Unless you’re betting on AR being a different player than the one we’ve seen 4 of the last 6 years, then it’s probably not happening.

ASIDE - the other 2 years, he played 3 snaps and tore his knee up, them wasn’t the same guy the first year back. In 2015, ‘16, ‘19, and ‘20 he was a 150 target PPR monster. With lousy QBs, every time. Now he’s got the best QB he has ever played with throwing the ball.

Could it happen fir Mooney? Sure, absolutely, anything could happen. This is simply what history has taught us, and we should make probability-based decisions in fantasy football.

But oftentimes people’s reactions to my posting data is to find one exception, as if that one invalidates the 99 examples that say otherwise. 

You do you.

WRT Mooney apart from the Fields/rookie QB factor, he was identified early after last season to be an “obvious breakout candidate.” That was before we knew Dalton and/or Fields would be the QB. LOTS OF GOOD METRICS to support that: high win rate vs man and vs press coverages, ton of air yards to his routes run, the low catch rate and production were mostly due to poor QB play.

Will he outperform his ADP? He should, and anytime a guy drafted outside the top 125 or after WR50 contributes in FF, that’s a win. Will he be a league winner, e.g., a top 24 WR? If AR stays healthy, seems very improbable.

In fact that scenario nearly happened for Luck in his rookie year with Wayne and Hilton as his wideouts. Luck was touted as the absolute best QB prospect in history, Wayne was an established Pro Bowler, and T.Y. was a speedy rookie who was probably just he the PR.

Luck had an outstanding season, Reggie finished WR10, and Hilton was WR31 despite finishing third on the team in targets and only started one game. The 2012 Colts are the only time we've seen a rookie QB support two Top 36 WRs (& not that far from two Top 24 WR.) Think about how all the rookie QBs who have started since 2000 - pretty low probability, right? OTOH, if I owned Mooney, I might tell myself a story that the 2021 Bears are kinda similar to the situation 9 years ago.

It could happen. Improbable, but possible.

Bear WR Darnell Mooney (groin) was limited in Thursday's practice.

Back-to-back limited tags for Mooney, and this is coming off a back injury that had him questionable in Week 2. There's a very real chance he'll be questionable for Week 3 as well. With Justin Fields expected to take over the offense -- at least for this week -- Mooney has some FLEX upside in a matchup with Cleveland if he plays. 

Sep 23, 2021, 5:03 PM ET

We basically never see multiple pass-catchers be super fantasy relevant from a rookie quarterback's team. Unless you’re betting on AR being a different player than the one we’ve seen 4 of the last 6 years, then it’s probably not happening.

ASIDE - the other 2 years, he played 3 snaps and tore his knee up, them wasn’t the same guy the first year back. In 2015, ‘16, ‘19, and ‘20 he was a 150 target PPR monster. With lousy QBs, every time. Now he’s got the best QB he has ever played with throwing the ball.

Could it happen fir Mooney? Sure, absolutely, anything could happen. This is simply what history has taught us, and we should make probability-based decisions in fantasy football.

But oftentimes people’s reactions to my posting data is to find one exception, as if that one invalidates the 99 examples that say otherwise. 

You do you.

WRT Mooney apart from the Fields/rookie QB factor, he was identified early after last season to be an “obvious breakout candidate.” That was before we knew Dalton and/or Fields would be the QB. LOTS OF GOOD METRICS to support that: high win rate vs man and vs press coverages, ton of air yards to his routes run, the low catch rate and production were mostly due to poor QB play.

Will he outperform his ADP? He should, and anytime a guy drafted outside the top 125 or after WR50 contributes in FF, that’s a win. Will he be a league winner, e.g., a top 24 WR? If AR stays healthy, seems very improbable.

In fact that scenario nearly happened for Luck in his rookie year with Wayne and Hilton as his wideouts. Luck was touted as the absolute best QB prospect in history, Wayne was an established Pro Bowler, and T.Y. was a speedy rookie who was probably just he the PR.

Luck had an outstanding season, Reggie finished WR10, and Hilton was WR31 despite finishing third on the team in targets and only started one game. The 2012 Colts are the only time we've seen a rookie QB support two Top 36 WRs (& not that far from two Top 24 WR.) Think about how all the rookie QBs who have started since 2000 - pretty low probability, right? OTOH, if I owned Mooney, I might tell myself a story that the 2021 Bears are kinda similar to the situation 9 years ago.

Interesting information Bobby. I drafted Mooney late in both of my leagues, banking on Fields being able to take advantage of Mooney's speed. I'm not ready to throw him in my line up yet, but I am hoping that, after a few starts to get comfortable, Fields and Mooney can start attacking defenses deep.

BobbyLayne said:

You do you.

So what this all tells me is sell Allen Robinson, amiright?

😁

You do you.

I'm fairly new to FF. I use metrics as my primary info to evaluate players. I get that you're saying only Robinson OR Mooney will be worthy of being a fantasy contributor. I know that Mooney has outperformed Robinson twice now, and came within 7 yards of doing it a third time. It's happened with Dalton, and with Fields. Robinson's matchup was one of the best in the league this week, and he just barely avoided falling flat. I won't deny his previous seasons of relevancy, it proves that he is a good player.

Good defenses to start the season, then a rookie qb, and that's supposed to account for the poor games. But Mooney had the same conditions, and he posted better stat lines than Robinson twice. Once with the tough defense, another with the rookie qb. I think something is wrong with Robinson, because you can't pretend those 4 seasons don't exist. Do you have any idea what the hell his problem is?

Darnell Mooney caught 5-of-7 targets for 125 yards in the Bears Week 4 win over the Lions.

Mooney had a beautiful 64 yard reception in the first quarter and averaged 25 yards per reception. The second year wide receiver showed a strong connection with his rookie quarterback, seeing a target on 41% of Justin Fields' attempts. Mooney will face a more difficult test in Week 5 when the Bears face the Raiders. It's unclear if Fields will remain under center.

I think its fair to assume Mooney is the Bears #1 WR. This may be a little out there, but I wouldn't be shocked if Robinson was dealt before the trade deadline. Its very clear he's not signing long term and they can't franchise him again. 

I think its fair to assume Mooney is the Bears #1 WR. This may be a little out there, but I wouldn't be shocked if Robinson was dealt before the trade deadline. Its very clear he's not signing long term and they can't franchise him again. 
He might do better as a #2 without coverage from the best CB. Would you rather have him or another 2nd year WR, Laviska Shenault? Assuming Robinson stays.

He might do better as a #2 without coverage from the best CB. Would you rather have him or another 2nd year WR, Laviska Shenault? Assuming Robinson stays.
Probably Shenault, I think he's more talented in general, and I trust his QB situation more. I might have answered differently before Chark got hurt.

I don't trust the coaching staff from either team, but I think Mooney has skills that are more well developed than Shenault. 

It's pretty obvious Mooney has the goods to be a starting WR in the league, with a few traits that could make him a very good starting WR if he maxes out. Ideally you want him to be a #2 given his size, but guys his size have gone on to do big things so time will tell. He's gonna get his fair share of deep balls from Fields the rest of the way, but I'm thinking he will be boom or average most weeks. Would not want him as my 1 or 2, but he can do some damage in the flex role

Is that a normal workout for a WR to catch passes standing on one foot on whatever that contraption was?
ESPN aired a segment on the week 2 pregame show of Jameis on the Bosu ball (contraption) with one foot as well, but he was juggling tennis balls and doing retention and recognition exercises. It looked impressive as hell, then he proceeded to #### the bed a few hours later.

EDIT -

Did some research. Their usage is nearly equal in RR%, snap counts, pretty much all opportunities the team can give them. The difference is Mooney has just 7 more routes run in 4 weeks, 120 to Arob's 113

They differ at (still weeks 1-4) -
being placed in the slot - 49 (41%) arob, 37(29%) mooney
being set wide - 70(59%) arob, 87(68.5%) mooney
Reception rate - 13/23 (56.5%) arob, 17/25 (68%) mooney

They differ more at -
Yards - arob 149 to mooney's 226

They differ significantly at -
Contested catches - 3/11 (27%) arob, 2/4 (50%) mooney

Contested stats discrepancy is likely due to better defenders being on arob. Can anyone confirm?

Also, arob was held out of the preseason for a hamstring. He's not on the injury report, but my guess is he's still not 100%. Has anyone heard anything about that?

Also, when targeted, arob has had 0 interceptions, where as mooney has had 2. I'm not sure that means much tho.

Darnell Mooney (groin) was limited in practice for the second straight day on Thursday.

Mooney has been an injury report staple with this groin/core injury for the better part of three weeks now. The good news is that Mooney blew up on Sunday and that the Bears appear to be managing him well enough to play through it, as he gets in limited practice after limited practice. He's on the WR3/FLEX radar for Week 5 against the Raiders. 

Oct 7, 2021, 5:43 PM ET

Darnell Mooney caught 5-of-8 targets for 45 yards and one touchdown in the Bears' Week 6 loss to the Packers.

Mooney's five-yard touchdown grab in the fourth quarter was his first end-zone trip of the season, and his eight targets were one more than Allen Robinson for the team lead. Mooney has seen target counts of 4, 7, 5, and 8 in four games with Justin Fields under center. Mooney will be a passable WR3 next week against the Bucs' soft defense where the Bears will be playing catch-up all afternoon.

- NBC SportsEDGE

Darnell Mooney caught 3-of-6 targets for 41 yards and one touchdown in the Bears' Week 9 loss to the Steelers, adding a 15-yard rushing touchdown.

Mooney was having a quiet night until the fourth quarter when he took a wildcat handoff from David Montgomery 15 yards to the end zone for his rushing score two plays into the final 15 minutes of action. The speedy wideout then caught a 16-yard touchdown to put the Bears up 27-26 with 1:46 to play, doing a great job of getting both feet down in bounds in the end zone on a dime from Justin Fields. Mooney's six targets tied Allen Robinson for second on the team behind Cole Kmet's eight. Mooney has been Fields' favorite target all season. He now has three scores on the year and will be a WR4 for Week 11 against the Ravens after the bye.

Nov 8, 2021, 11:53 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread