What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Darnell Mooney, CHI (1 Viewer)

Darnell Mooney (foot) was limited in Thursday's practice.

Mooney has displayed a lot of toughness this season in playing through limited tags multiple times. We would consider him more on the optimistic side of questionable heading into Week 11's matchup against the Ravens. If Justin Fields can survive the Baltimore blitzes, Mooney should be one of his primary targets. 

Nov 18, 2021, 5:36 PM ET

Seems he flies a but under the radar with other WRs at the moment.  
Yes he does. 

Watching his route running he certainly does look like a true WR1.

Just scooped him off the waiver wire with news that A Robinson is doubtful. Regardless, I've been eyeing Mooney and just added him dropping Golladay who I picked up earlier this week needing a Flex spot. Had to drop Van Jefferson to get Golladay. Now it's Mooney in the Flex. I like him more for the rest of the year. 

zamboni said:
Dalton confirmed as starter - could be a smash spot. Which means of course he’ll go 3-30.
Seems almost guaranteed to happen once we all start hyping him... and I finally put him in my lineup
Yup - hate to have a crappy performance sitting on the scorebook until Sunday, but hard to sit him after 16 targets yesterday. If Robinson plays, I might be less inclined to start Mooney.

ETA: the Lions also have to keep the game close with Boyle, or the Bears will barely need to throw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup - hate to have a crappy performance sitting on the scorebook until Sunday, but hard to sit him after 16 targets yesterday. If Robinson plays, I might be less inclined to start Mooney.

ETA: the Lions also have to keep the game close with Boyle, or the Bears will barely need to throw.
I like the way you're going here... let's keep this negative and slow any impending hype train. I don't have anyone else left. I have to start him.

Having a hard time deciding whether to roll with Mooney on Thursday. Should be a target hog again with A-Rob presumably out, but can we trust Dalton? And with Boyle likely starting, the Bears may be controlling the time of possession and running the ball all game long.

Anyone rolling with him on Thursday, and if so, over whom?

I'm playing him, but AJ Brown is up in the air again, and my last guy who isn't injured is Bateman... who I'll have to use if Brown doesn't play. At this point it's ride or die with Mooney for my squad. I like Mooney as a player though. I'm hoping he can be one of those guys that's on a lot of championship rosters and blossoms into one of the better receivers in the league over the second half. We'll see.

Having a hard time deciding whether to roll with Mooney on Thursday. Should be a target hog again with A-Rob presumably out, but can we trust Dalton? And with Boyle likely starting, the Bears may be controlling the time of possession and running the ball all game long.

Anyone rolling with him on Thursday, and if so, over whom?
I'm debating him or Gallup on Thursday but all my other WRs (Patterson, AB, OBJ) or uncertain for Sunday. Well not OBJ but I'm uncertain on him.

I'm benching. That level of inefficiency plus the 70 yard screen TD (ravens stink at tackling) makes me question sustainability with Andy Dalton.

Also, Detroits' defense has played pretty inspired. This could be Montgomery 30 times. 

trying to decide between Mooney and Jeudy.  I go back and forth multiple times throughout the day.

Have the same dilemma, but probably going Gallup assuming both Lamb and Cooper are out. Just see more offense in that Cowboys/Raiders game.
Can't see Lamb getting cleared on a short week.  

Looking at the Lions schedule, any decent qb has had success vs Detroit.  The last two weeks were also poor weather.  Dalton is about as average as can be, but that is a major upgrade for the Bears passing game right now.  I am starting Mooney with confidence Thursday over Bateman or Claypool.

Looking at the Lions schedule, any decent qb has had success vs Detroit.  The last two weeks were also poor weather.  Dalton is about as average as can be, but that is a major upgrade for the Bears passing game right now.  I am starting Mooney with confidence Thursday over Bateman or Claypool.
That’s what is making the decision tough - Dalton is indeed average, but will likely feed Mooney. I’m more concerned about the Bears going run heavy.

tough comparison to Gallup, I have the same but will be starting both Gallup and Mooney.

For others considering Mooney, as far as WR3 types go, Mooney's been startable all year, though the ceiling is very limited for reasons already mentioned in the last couple of pages. Mooney's weekly fantasy points this year, assuming 1/2 pt PPR 6pt TD 1pt/10yds:

5.1 - 9.6 - 1.4 - 16 - 5 - 13 - 4.9 - 9.4 - 19.1 - BYE - 20.6

this translates to a weekly WR ranking of:

73 - 43 - 104 - 13 - 67 - 20 - 47 - 33 - 4 - BYE - 4

in comparison, ARob has a weekly WR ranking of:

67 - 45 - 75 - 49 - 65 - 43 - 69 - 73 - 28 - BYE - INJ

if you're in a 12 team league, Mooney has performed as a WR1 twice, WR2 twice, and WR3 once out of 10 games. Only one goose egg type game in week 3. he's easily a fixture as a WR3 with WR1 upside dependent on TD's.

tough comparison to Gallup, I have the same but will be starting both Gallup and Mooney.

For others considering Mooney, as far as WR3 types go, Mooney's been startable all year, though the ceiling is very limited for reasons already mentioned in the last couple of pages. Mooney's weekly fantasy points this year, assuming 1/2 pt PPR 6pt TD 1pt/10yds:

if you're in a 12 team league, Mooney has performed as a WR1 twice, WR2 twice, and WR3 once out of 10 games. Only one goose egg type game in week 3. he's easily a fixture as a WR3 with WR1 upside dependent on TD's.
Fair points, although the pass game overall - and Mooney’s production - has gotten better as Fields has progressed. Not like anyone will confuse them with the Rams and Bucs, but heading in the right direction. And all this without much from A-Rob.

Bears WR Darnell Mooney was limited at practice on Tuesday.

Mooney was also limited on Monday. This is worth keeping an eye on with the Bears playing on Thanksgiving morning, but all indications are that Mooney will play on Thursday. He topped 100 yards in Week 11 (although he needed 16 targets to get there) after being limited during the week, so there is no reason to worry about the second-year wideout as long as he's active against the Lions. Consider Mooney a solid flex in Week 12 against a porous Lions defense.

SOURCE: Bears Wire

Nov 23, 2021, 8:37 PM ET

Very true, although Zeke is banged up so maybe they won’t have the luxury to do so. 

Pollard quite capable of taking a large enough load that they can limit Elliott's touches. Frankly the way we're playing I can see them being so far ahead by half time that it'd be Pollard all the way even if Zeke was 100%

First half meant nothing. This is the definition of a breakout 

Darnell Mooney caught 5-of-8 targets for 123 yards in the Bears' Week 12 win over the Lions. 

The third 100-yard effort of Mooney's two-year career was his second in five days. With Allen Robinson sidelined, Mooney has turned 24 looks since Week 11 into 10/244/1. It is abundantly clear the 24-year-old is now Chicago's top weapon and should continue to be treated as such upon Robinson's return. Mooney's longest grab this afternoon was a 52-yarder where he ran right by S Will Harris. Even if Robinson returns for Week 13 vs. the Cardinals, Mooney has earned every-week WR2 treatment until further notice, though Andy Dalton keeping the job over Justin Fields (ribs) would probably help.  

Nov 25, 2021, 4:18 PM ET

Watching him feels like the Diontae Johnson breakout. Always open, steadily increasing in targets and QB trust, undersized but more of a technician with agility.

Watching him feels like the Diontae Johnson breakout. Always open, steadily increasing in targets and QB trust, undersized but more of a technician with agility.
I can agree with that. The real thrill is his connection with Fields and Fields big/accurate long ball. Many may dismiss Mooney with the lack of high draft capital but I think we have seen enough to invest in the current floor with WR1 upside if Fields is legit.

Week 13 Fantasy Football Stats: An RB1 finish for Antonio Gibson?

Excerpt:

Darnell Mooney ranks second in target share among all WRs since Week 8

The second-year receiver has thrived with Justin Fields but has taken another leap lately with Andy Dalton under center and Allen Robinson out. It looks like both of those variables will remain in Week 13.

Ignore Mooney’s ugly catch rate during this span. His 14-yard aDOT from Weeks 11-12 with mostly Dalton playing is helping to offset some inefficiency. You don’t need a high catch rate to thrive where he's getting targets. He’s a volatile but extremely enticing play at $17 in Yahoo DFS.

So is Dalton starting a plus or minus for Mooney this week? Seems like I remember one of Mooneys best games was with the Red Rifle??

So is Dalton starting a plus or minus for Mooney this week? Seems like I remember one of Mooneys best games was with the Red Rifle??
That's a good question. I'm beat to hell at WR and I could use him this week. I'm concerned about his QB play as always, and the weather that could be in play. Namely the wind. 

The Bears clearly need to bring in more receiving weapons, just hope it’s not an alpha type that would make Mooney the secondary option in an offense that may not be very pass happy.

The Bears clearly need to bring in more receiving weapons, just hope it’s not an alpha type that would make Mooney the secondary option in an offense that may not be very pass happy.
This concern gets brought up with all receivers. Being the only threat is not a benefit either as it is easier for the defense to defend. Water finds its level and I think Mooney is on a Diggs-like trajectory.

This concern gets brought up with all receivers. Being the only threat is not a benefit either as it is easier for the defense to defend. Water finds its level and I think Mooney is on a Diggs-like trajectory.
Of course  - it depends who the other options are that are brought in. I’d be more concerned as a Mooney owner if a Godwin/Adams/Mike Williams was brought in versus, say, a Kirk, JuJu or Chark.

Of course  - it depends who the other options are that are brought in. I’d be more concerned as a Mooney owner if a Godwin/Adams/Mike Williams was brought in versus, say, a Kirk, JuJu or Chark.
I understand but would wager that they do not sign any of the top FAs. Only Adams would be a major concern as a potential “target hog” and I doubt he wants to go from Rodgers to Fields. Evans faired well with Godwin, Allen faired well with Williams.

King of the Jungle said:
I understand but would wager that they do not sign any of the top FAs. Only Adams would be a major concern as a potential “target hog” and I doubt he wants to go from Rodgers to Fields. Evans faired well with Godwin, Allen faired well with Williams.
That’s assuming one believes that Fields can rise to the level of accommodating two fantasy relevant WRs. Not sure of that yet, especially if he’s going to run the ball a fair amount. 

Still a ways to go with FA/rookie draft/trades, but Mooney has the earmarks of being a target hog this season.

The Bears just signed the "other" St. Brown and Byron Pringle (double yawn)  and it's not like there are a lot of other big time FAs out that are alpha guys. There's always the possibility that a meaningful trade happens (e.g., Woods), but even that might not derail Mooney's ascension. Also, the Bears also don't have a 1st round pick this year, so there's no guarantee they'll be able to get an impact player right off the bat. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread