What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Darnell Mooney, CHI (2 Viewers)

Bears coach Matt Eberflus said Darnell Mooney (ankle) is still "progressing" from his ankle injury.

Mooney was not at early voluntary OTAs for the Bears. This isn't much of an update on Mooney after he suffered this season-ending ankle injury in Week 12 of last season. Mooney told the 33rd Team in a podcast that he had screws put in his foot and that he "will be 100 percent." The Bears have not given a timetable on Mooney's return yet. Until we get better word from the organization, drafters should probably consider him questionable for the start of training camp.
SOURCE: Kevin Fishbain on Twitter
May 23, 2023 at 3:02 PM ET

Bears coach Matt Eberflus said Darnell Mooney (ankle) is "right on track" to be ready for training camp.

Mooney suffered a season-ending ankle injury in Week 12 last year. He eventually underwent surgery and has been absent from OTAs to start the offseason. Training camp won't start until late July, so Mooney still has over a month before the offseason is in full swing. Even once healthy, it's hard to be optimistic about Mooney's fantasy prospects. The Bears ranked dead last in pass attempts per game in 2022 and added D.J. Moore to the mix in the offseason. Mooney projects as a volatile WR4/5 heading into his fourth NFL season.
SOURCE: Mark Grote on Twitter
Jun 7, 2023 at 2:49 PM ET

Any hope here?

I'm kind of glossing over his name in mocks and best balls when I see it. He had the great year 2 years ago.
Now the competition for targets has gone way up. Moore is going to eat. Are the Bears and Fields going to pass enough to support 2 fantasy relevant WR's?
I would think Kmet is the 2nd in line for looks, and then Mooney/Claypool fight for the rest.

He feels like a guy with a low ceiling, and the floor isn't high enough to pass on guys with higher upside.

Any hope here?

I'm kind of glossing over his name in mocks and best balls when I see it. He had the great year 2 years ago.
Now the competition for targets has gone way up. Moore is going to eat. Are the Bears and Fields going to pass enough to support 2 fantasy relevant WR's?
I would think Kmet is the 2nd in line for looks, and then Mooney/Claypool fight for the rest.

He feels like a guy with a low ceiling, and the floor isn't high enough to pass on guys with higher upside.
I don't think the volume will be there. A few spikes but overall I'm thinking he barely hovers over that floor.

I like him a lot more with Moore there. I traded him for a couple of rookie picks in an IDP as I needed defensive prospects, but would have loved to have figured out a way to keep him. I think he has WR2-3 upside (FF roster, not overall)

Will be fine with him as a flex/bye option assuming it looks like his injury issues are healed, but as I've got quite a few similar players it wouldn't take much for me to move him on

Will be fine with him as a flex/bye option assuming it looks like his injury issues are healed, but as I've got quite a few similar players it wouldn't take much for me to move him on
During my recent IDP rookie draft IIRC I got a 3rd and a 5th. Managed to get both DEs BJO & Anudike-Uzomah.

With performance scoring, taking two shots at a big play DE felt like the right price to part with Mooney. But I do wish I could have kept him.

Darnell Mooney said he will be “ready to roll” when the Bears open training camp.
Mooney was sidelined with an ankle injury late last November and didn’t play the remainder of the season. After going for 81-1055-4 in 2021, Mooney’s numbers took a drastic hit in 2022. In 12 games, he managed just 40 receptions for 493 yards and two touchdowns while averaging a career-low 5.1 targets per game. The Bears plan to pass more heading into this season, but Mooney’s target volume could still be impacted by the arrival of D.J. Moore. The fact that he’s ready for camp is a positive sign, but Mooney is little more than a late-round flier in fantasy at this time.

I like him a lot more with Moore there. I traded him for a couple of rookie picks in an IDP as I needed defensive prospects, but would have loved to have figured out a way to keep him. I think he has WR2-3 upside (FF roster, not overall)
I do too. I traded for him in a dynasty where I've done a complete tear-down and am slowly rebuilding. I think he has some big-play upside.

During my recent IDP rookie draft IIRC I got a 3rd and a 5th. Managed to get both DEs BJO & Anudike-Uzomah.

With performance scoring, taking two shots at a big play DE felt like the right price to part with Mooney. But I do wish I could have kept him.

I traded him away for a 2025 3rd and was just happy to get anything for him. I needed a roster spot and wanted to cut him outright.

Darnell Mooney caught 4-of-7 targets for 53 yards and one touchdown in the Bears’ Week 1 loss to the Packers.

Mooney brought in two catches of 20-plus yards, with his second long reception resulting in a touchdown to close out the third quarter. Mooney’s seven targets tie with Cole Kmet to lead all Bears receivers, and were five more than newly-acquired receiver DJ Moore had. We probably shouldn’t expect Mooney to lead the Bears in targets as the season goes on, but he appears to be a focal point of the offense. He’ll have some flex upside in next week’s matchup against the Bucs.

- Rotoworld

If the Bears defense is bad, and Claypool continues to underperform, does Mooney have a good chance at being a top 30 WR?

Darnell Mooney said his knee injury is a “nagging bruise” and expects to be “fine.”

Mooney left in the third quarter of Sunday’s game and did not return to the field. He didn’t specify whether or not he expects to play in Week 3 against the Chiefs, but he clearly avoided major injury here. Mooney was not targeted in Week 2 against the Browns, and will be hard to trust as anything more than a WR3 if he plays.

Darnell Mooney (knee) was limited in Wednesday’s practice.
Mooney himself said he has a nagging knee bruise. The injury forced him from the Bears’ Week 2 game in the third quarter. A limited session to start the week is a good sign for his Week 3 availability, but it’s not clear how effective he can be while dealing with the knee issue. Mooney was not targeted before leaving the game last week.

Seems like a team that is rebuilding. Mooney in last year of contract. Unless the Bears have plans to resign him, he may end up a trade target. KC could use a receiver…

Anyone thinking Mooney is a decent stash?

It can't be DJ Moore all day and Kmet is banged up. Next week, CHI faces the LV D at home. Could be a decent sleeper next week if you are in a bind.

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reports the Chiefs are interested in free agent WR Darnell Mooney.
Fowler notes that there are other teams interested in Mooney as well. Mooney’s final season in Chicago was a disaster. He ended the year with just 31 receptions for 414 yards and a single touchdown. He posted similar numbers in 2022 while playing in three fewer games. It wasn’t all bad for him in the Windy City though. In 2021, Mooney topped 1,000 yards and scored four times while showing off his game-changing speed every other week. He would be the ideal replacement for Marquez Valdes-Scantling, who the Chiefs cut after a quiet 2023 season. If Mooney can reclaim his 2021 form, he would be a massive upgrade over MVS. A move to Kansas City would also reunite him with Matt Nagy, his head coach during that breakout campaign.

Users who are viewing this thread