What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (4 Viewers)

Once rookie drafts are over I can see Brown being a cut on a lot of teams as they pickup players during waivers.  If he didn't need surgery I can see teams holding him, but his remarks that he needs surgery, but won't have it until a team commits to him, is probably straw that breaks the camel's back.

Then maybe he should not have burned any bridges.  Can't see the Steelers doing this.
Sure they will and his departure was not that bad. Remember Rooney flew into meet him at an airport in Florida, they talked and both parties agreed they'd try and trade him and then AB and Rooney took a photo together.

He gave them arguably the greatest 6 year stretch a WR has ever given a team. They won't have an issue signing him to one of those one day type contracts if that's what he wants. He's not actually saying he has any desire to be a member of the team again.

In 2017, the Steelers signed Antonio to a 4 year, 68M contract.  If he wanted to retire a Steeler, he certainly could have.  Instead, he chose the path he took for the last couple of years.

I hope he gets the help that he so clearly needs, but I really hope they do not do any ceremonial deals for him at this point.

Regarding the debate if they would sign him to a ceremonial one day deal or not, it's a sad but realistic consideration as to whether or not AB would take advantage of such an opportunity to spew even more bile.  The guy is hazardous waste by now.

menobrown said:
He gave them arguably the greatest 6 year stretch a WR has ever given a team.
Come on, man. Jerry Rice (1990-1995) was better:

• Rice led the league more times in receiving yards (4 to 2), receiving yards per game (3 to 1), and receiving TDs (3 to 1)
  • Rice was 1st team All Pro 5 times to Brown's 4 times
  • Rice won 1 OPOY to Brown's 0 major awards
  • Rice finished in the top 3 in MVP voting 3 times to Brown's 0
  • Rice played for a Super Bowl champ (1994) and made a very strong contribution to that playoff run; Brown topped out in the AFCCG; I realize it is a team game, but that has to be a credit to Rice in this comparison
And Rice did it 20 years earlier. The league was tilting towards offense, but it wasn't close to where it was by 2010 in that regard. For example, without looking up the data, I'm guessing that Brown's teams had 30%+ more passing attempts, and Brown had at least 20% more targets than Rice.

In addition, (in no particular order):

• Hutson (1940-1945)
  • Alworth (1963-1968)
  • Calvin (2010-2015)
  • Harrison (1999-2004)
I may have forgotten some, but IMO this is enough to make it clear that your statement is hyperbole. I disagree that it is objectively arguable that Brown played the greatest 6 year stretch ever for a WR in 2013-2018.

Last edited by a moderator:
I may have forgotten some, but IMO this is enough to make it clear that your statement is hyperbole. I disagree that it is objectively arguable that Brown played the greatest 6 year stretch ever for a WR in 2013-2018.
You are a piece of work.

I used the word arguable and during that stretch compared to all the stretches of those other WR's you mentioned AB led them all in catches and yards. Only area he came up short was TD's were he only beat Calvin.

Suggesting that is hyberbole is insulting and typical of your past behavior which is why I stopped responding to you years ago on this site and will continue that path in the future.

You are a piece of work.

I used the word arguable and during that stretch compared to all the stretches of those other WR's you mentioned AB led them all in catches and yards. Only area he came up short was TD's were he only beat Calvin.

Suggesting that is hyberbole is insulting and typical of your past behavior which is why I stopped responding to you years ago on this site and will continue that path in the future.
Plenty of time to reply but not enough time to read... 

A rationale person interprets "arguably the greatest 6 year stretch" as in the conversation and comparable to other great runs... not an absolute statement.  

You are a piece of work.

I am genuinely sorry you feel that way. I have always thought you are one of the better posters in this forum, and I enjoy your posts. I wish you would accept my apology and not purposely avoid responding to me, but that is obviously your call to make, and I respect it.

You posted an opinion. I posted my reaction to it, which was obviously my own opinion. The first player I thought of in reaction to your statement was Rice, so I posted information about him to support my stance. I didn't intend any insult or offense.

I am genuinely sorry you feel that way. I have always thought you are one of the better posters in this forum, and I enjoy your posts. I wish you would accept my apology and not purposely avoid responding to me, but that is obviously your call to make, and I respect it.

You posted an opinion. I posted my reaction to it, which was obviously my own opinion. The first player I thought of in reaction to your statement was Rice, so I posted information about him to support my stance. I didn't intend any insult or offense.
Thank you for your reply, was nicely put.

I have had a feeling over the years that you sought me ought to argue over things. Trolling might be the word I'd use. Perhaps I have totally misread the situation and that was never your intent, you simply liked engaging me on conversations. So for that I apologize,  will not avoid you and look forward to chatting with you in the future.

I have had a feeling over the years that you sought me ought to argue over things. Trolling might be the word I'd use. Perhaps I have totally misread the situation and that was never your intent, you simply liked engaging me on conversations. So for that I apologize,  will not avoid you and look forward to chatting with you in the future.
I definitely think it was the bolded, not purposeful trolling. Anyway, I appreciate your reply. :thumbup:   

AB answered and ad to baby-sit my kids after school this fall.  He said I might get references on footballguys.com?

Can I trust this guy?

This place is great. And AB is safe to drop. :hifive:

This place is great. And AB is safe to drop. :hifive:
I cut him in most of my leagues back in March when we had to trim rosters.

I've since added him back in more leagues then I had him previously. I was just using a lot of 5th-7th round rookie drafts picks on notion no matter how slim the odds of him signing before the season starts that still outweighed being able to properly identify both at the draft and when cuts are due a rookie type player that would stick on short roster leagues of mine.

But I've never felt more strongly he's done and as the days go by that just increases.

Other then fact no one may want him, with likely no advocate like a Tom Brady pushing for him, is he might just be done with the NFL with respect  to the type of fairly low prove it as you go pay scale situation he's put himself in. I used to laugh at his rap "career" but not really anymore. Not that he's any good or I'd know any better but he's aligned himself with some very powerful people in that industry and I actually think he's making some money and does not think he needs the NFL to earn a living anymore.

One big tell to me, and I know  he's got the ankle he says is an issue, but one big difference between AB this off-season then most is he is normally posting workout videos all the time. Even when he was out of the league a year he was constantly working out. This off-season just about zero workout videos, instead he's traveling all over the world with his new industry friends trying to promote his second career.

I think at best a desperate as hell team signed him late in the season but for fantasy who is going to hang on an roster him when the season starts and he's not had a whiff of interest?

I'm not saying what AB says is guano loco most of the time, but I sort of understand the most recent 'not getting ankle surgery without team commitment.' Likely for 2 reasons its actually right in AB's wheelhouse.

1. Hard to '-not- pay for services' with a doctor. Per multiple lawsuits, that's his usual modus operndi on paying for services. Comes out of his pocket book. Surgeries, medications, and follow-ups are expensive - and since he's cheap for a rich guy, he probably doesn't carry medical insurance. The team was his medical insurance.

2. Also has to pay per visit for Physical Therapy multiple times a week for months of recovery. If a team commits to him, he gets world class PT for free.

All about the losing benjamins in his wallet while gaining less than NFL paychecks right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not saying what AB says is guano loco most of the time, but I sort of understand the most recent 'not getting ankle surgery without team commitment.' Likely for 2 reasons its actually right in AB's wheelhouse.

1. Hard to '-not- pay for services' with a doctor. Per multiple lawsuits, that's his usual modus operndi on paying for services. Comes out of his pocket book. Surgeries, medications, and follow-ups are expensive - and since he's cheap for a rich guy, he probably doesn't carry medical insurance. The team was his medical insurance.

2. Also has to pay per visit for Physical Therapy multiple times a week for months of recovery. If a team commits to him, he gets world class PT for free.

All about the losing benjamins in his wallet while gaining less than NFL paychecks right now.
I suspect he has some type of NFL coverage, especially if hurt last season,  and taking care of himself would be in his best interest if he ever wanted to pay again

When Antonio first arrived on the scene? One of my favorite guys. I held in re-draft his first breakout year and was rewarded with keeping him on the roster. (Of course, Roethlisberger got hurt that year and Charlie Batch was the QB, so I didn't win the championship of our league that year. I had three backups throwing to three starting WRs, and it eventually caught up to me.)

But I remember him being this likable guy -- a guy you could root for. He would show up with fans and surprise them, giving his time and energy to causes and charity. It seemed too good to be true. This was before he was at the height of his power. Just a feel-good story on a very good Pittsburgh team. 

What has happened from his apex onward has been a disaster. I hope he's able to set his head on correctly (if he ever had it there) for daily life.

As far as football goes, he is getting old, and he's not really worth that much of a roster spot. I don't know, something about it tells me to try and get him for a fifth or sixth, but he seems really done and those cut downs can be hard. I wonder if it could come full circle, and I'd be rewarded if I had the faith to acquire and hold him again. It might be worth it. 

I know meno's the biggest honk here for him ;) , so his dismissal of Brown this year is about all I need to know. Sadly, he's probably done. Even more sadly, I await the likely auctioning of his Tampa SB ring. 

Very sad. 

menobrown said:
Not that he's any good or I'd know any better but he's aligned himself with some very powerful people in that industry and I actually think he's making some money and does not think he needs the NFL to earn a living anymore.
The way the music industry has shifted to a mostly streaming industry newer artists do not make nearly the money that rock, pop, and rap stars were making in the 80s/90s etc.

Most of their wealth comes from touring now. I don't believe Brown is playing live anywhere. I doubt he's made much money from his music "career" and once he's not an NFL name anymore I'd guess it's unlikely his career takes off. 

Most of their wealth comes from touring now. I don't believe Brown is playing live anywhere
He's on tour for sure, probably more nightclub type venues on on tour.  I understand money is not what it once was in music but neither is his NFL earning ability. I just know he's actually touring, working with some big time artists,  don't know if there is a lot of money in it but Kanye named him president of his fledgling Donda Sports company.

I have no idea how much money is in this stuff but he's just not acting like a player who is really pushing to return this time.

And I know this because....

rockaction said:
I know meno's the biggest honk here for him
This is true

rockaction said:
:lmao:  

I will not be going to the Grammy Awards this year, folks. Nope. No way. 
I have decided that I will not be entering the Mr. universe pageant this year. The trials of working out have proved to be just too much for me right now.

...Kanye named him president of his fledgling Donda Sports company.
There is an entire universe, jam packed full of stuff going on in those ten words.
Donald is the first athlete to sign with the endeavor, but joins one former NFL star who's currently serving as president of Donda Sports. Prior to watching Donald at Super Bowl LVI this past February, former Steelers and Bucs receiver Antonio Brown announced his presidency on Instagram in the only way he can - by booking a $2 million owner's suite at SoFi Stadium for the big game.

Aaron Donald signs with Donda Sports

Users who are viewing this thread