What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (1 Viewer)

He absolutely was playing through injury though, as indicated by his questionable status and the fact he didn't practice the whole week. This isn't a "one of the other" thing, Brown was playing hurt and for money and the Bucs (i.e. Tom Brady) can be idiots for giving Brown an incentive-laden contract.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did they? 

Last I checked he'd had a couple of games off because of the fake vaccination card stunt. He was well-rested, and looked like he was moving just fine on that ankle, both in the game, and during his overly dramatic exit from the game. 

What everyone knows is that AB is a self-centered wacko who lacks credibility. After his stunt in Oakland, he never should have played football again. Yet here we are.  
He missed 2 practices and BA has confirmed they knew he was hurt during the week.

He absolutely was playing through injury though, as indicated by his questionable status and the fact he didn't practice the whole week. This isn't a "one of the other" thing, Brown was playing hurt and for money and the Bucs can be idiots for giving Brown an incentive-laden contract.
When did he get hurt? He was out for a couple weeks prior due to the fraudulent vaccination card fiasco. Did he sprain his ankle at the club or something? 

I don't believe he was hurt, and until I see proof, I don't believe the Bucs shot him up with anything dangerous. I think it's all psychobabble from a player for whom lying and acting like a crazy person is entirely on-brand, and now they're trying for damage control. 

I'm completely over AB's BS. 

When did he get hurt? He was out for a couple weeks prior due to the fraudulent vaccination card fiasco. Did he sprain his ankle at the club or something? 

I don't believe he was hurt, and until I see proof, I don't believe the Bucs shot him up with anything dangerous. I think it's all psychobabble from a player for whom lying and acting like a crazy person is entirely on-brand, and now they're trying for damage control. 

I'm completely over AB's BS. 
Are you forgetting he played the week before?

HSG, I get you're not an Antonio Brown fan but let's not ignore facts, Antonio Brown isn't getting cosmetic surgery on his ankle right now... those things can easily be found and records requested during arbitration. Brown originally injured his ankle Week 6, then reinjured it in practice. This was the NBC SportsEDGE blurb from December 31st:

Bucs interim head coach Harold Goodwin said Antonio Brown (ankle) will be a game-time decision in Week 17. 

Brown drafters are suddenly in danger of losing one of their most reliable fantasy producers for the fantasy football championship round. Goodwin said Brown "tweaked" his injured ankle this week in practice, and Brown is officially listed as questionable. The team will test Brown's ankle before their Week 17 game against the Jets to determine if he can suit up. Already without Chris Godwin (knee, IR) and Mike Evans (hamstring) -- who still have an outside shot to play -- Tom Brady would be left with Rob Gronkowski and Tyler Johnson as his top two pass catchers against New York. Breshad Perriman, recently removed from the COVID-19 list, would have intriguing upside if the Bucs are without their top three wideouts.
Again, no great love of Antonio Brown (as evidenced in this thread from the last 2 years) but facts are facts. 

He played the week before and reaggravated it.

Honestly I didn't care enough to remember, and I still think it's all BS. 

He was playing fine. He thought he wasn't getting the ball enough so he, in total AB fashion, threw a tantrum and quit mid-game, in dramatic fashion. 

He was good enough to go out and play for $, but when he thought he wasn't gonna get his $, he quit & acted like a manbaby in front of millions. 

It was only when the PR was going against him that he came out with some "too hurt to play" "they shot me full of dangerous sedative" story, and I don't believe a single word of it. Not one word. 

That's the thing about credibility: once you lose it, you don't get it back. 

I might not love Arians as a football coach, but I have no reason to doubt his side of this. And there are plenty of cameras, yet not one caught Arians making a "throat slash" gesture? Cmon. This is all hot nonsense. He didn't limp off the field - I've watched that clip a dozen times. He quit on his team and is lying to try to garner sympathy. And I am out of F's to give about Antonio Brown's particular brand of BS. 

HSG, I get you're not an Antonio Brown fan but let's not ignore facts, Antonio Brown isn't getting cosmetic surgery on his ankle right now... those things can easily be found and records requested during arbitration. Brown originally injured his ankle Week 6, then reinjured it in practice. This was the NBC SportsEDGE blurb from December 31st:

Again, no great love of Antonio Brown (as evidenced in this thread from the last 2 years) but facts are facts.
If it was that bad he would have been doubtful, not questionable. 

I don't believe any of AB's account. Not a single word. 

As for surgery, players put off surgery to the offseason all the time & play through all sorts of things. There are any number of non-critical things he could have played through that he could also be having surgery for. It's not proof of anything, and yes - it could be the sports equivalent of "cosmetic" - some minor clean-up or other. They're football players - we hear about bone chips & partly torn ligaments all the time. 

Honestly I didn't care enough to remember, and I still think it's all BS. 

He was playing fine. He thought he wasn't getting the ball enough so he, in total AB fashion, threw a tantrum and quit mid-game, in dramatic fashion. 

He was good enough to go out and play for $, but when he thought he wasn't gonna get his $, he quit & acted like a manbaby in front of millions. 

It was only when the PR was going against him that he came out with some "too hurt to play" "they shot me full of dangerous sedative" story, and I don't believe a single word of it. Not one word. 

That's the thing about credibility: once you lose it, you don't get it back. 

I might not love Arians as a football coach, but I have no reason to doubt his side of this. And there are plenty of cameras, yet not one caught Arians making a "throat slash" gesture? Cmon. This is all hot nonsense. He didn't limp off the field - I've watched that clip a dozen times. He quit on his team and is lying to try to garner sympathy. And I am out of F's to give about Antonio Brown's particular brand of BS. 

If it was that bad he would have been doubtful, not questionable. 

I don't believe any of AB's account. Not a single word. 
Im not disagreeing with either of these posts and pretty much laid that out exactly in my post. But he was hurt. Theres a difference between playing through pain and injury.

Im not disagreeing with either of these posts and pretty much laid that out exactly in my post. But he was hurt. Theres a difference between playing through pain and injury.
And there's a problem with credibility as well. 

If this were literally ANY other player in the NFL, I'd believe they were playing through significant injury. As it's AB, I deeply question whether he was actually hurt, and actually aggravated the ankle, or if he lied about that as well. 

Because it would be totally 100% on brand for AB to have lied about aggravating the ankle last week, then use it as an excuse to bag it when he didn't think he was going to hit his incentives this week. 

As I understand it, by week 17, almost every player is playing through both pain & injuries. The big difference is that most every other player is sacrificing for team & fans, while AB is only doing it for himself. 

So even something as simple as "he was hurt" really doesn't ring 100% for me. I question the validity of that as well, regardless of when he said he was hurt. At this point, I'd want AB's orthopedic surgeon to come out with the team doctor to show me an MRI taken after the game, explaining exactly how hurt he was for me to believe it. 

Oh, but he was courtside at a basketball game, not the doctor's office. So much for that. 

I've seen multiple mentions of AB hitting waivers, but how can that be true?  Doesn't he qualify as a veteran and immediately become a free agent?

So he is released meaning he can sign with anyone at this time? Not that he has a list of teams knocking down his door but what are the parameters here? 

This doesn't explain how or why he's subject to waivers.

You seemed to want clarification on if he had to undergo waivers. I provided that I don't know all the rules but Rap mentioned in the video had he been released Monday he would not have had to clear waivers.

You seemed to want clarification on if he had to undergo waivers. I provided that I don't know all the rules but Rap mentioned in the video had he been released Monday he would not have had to clear waivers.
No, that's not the way I understood that at all.  Unless I misheard it, he said that if he had been released on Monday then a team would be able to claim him and play him this week.

If any team is crazy enough to add him to their playoff roster, that standard pre-contract physical players are subjected to should be revealing. 💡 

If any team is crazy enough to add him to their playoff roster, that standard pre-contract physical players are subjected to should be revealing. 💡 
:goodposting:  

Especially the bolded part. No way in hell I would add this guy into my locker room for a playoff run after what we witnessed in Tampa last week.

He absolutely was playing through injury though, as indicated by his questionable status and the fact he didn't practice the whole week. This isn't a "one of the other" thing, Brown was playing hurt and for money and the Bucs (i.e. Tom Brady) can be idiots for giving Brown an incentive-laden contract.
How dare we make an athlete produce before he gets paid?!  

:goodposting:  

Especially the bolded part. No way in hell I would add this guy into my locker room for a playoff run after what we witnessed in Tampa last week.
And IIRC, he was doing jumping jacks & hopping around shirtless in the end zone on his way out. How hurt could he have been? 

I agree with @JohnnyU - no one is signing this dude. There are just some things you don’t do. 

The Oakland experience was bizarre enough with the frostbite claim, then the helmet fiasco - but from the outside I could maybe understand a little ambiguity.

the craziest thing is him turning on Brady, who’s basically responsible for AB’s last two jobs (again, not counting the Raiders because he didn’t actually ever play there). 

Bizarre how one could call out Brady for the parameters of AB's contract.

As for incentive laden, they numbers weren't hard to reach.  Lose what, a third of the season to injury and another 3 games to suspension and then another game and a half to quitting?    And still come close?

As for playing hurt, the jumping jacks suggest Mr Big  Chest was OK.

And IIRC, he was doing jumping jacks & hopping around shirtless in the end zone on his way out. How hurt could he have been? 

I agree with @JohnnyU - no one is signing this dude. There are just some things you don’t do. 

The Oakland experience was bizarre enough with the frostbite claim, then the helmet fiasco - but from the outside I could maybe understand a little ambiguity.

the craziest thing is him turning on Brady, who’s basically responsible for AB’s last two jobs (again, not counting the Raiders because he didn’t actually ever play there). 
Agree on the Brady thing. It's a pretty short list of players that can say "he's with me" and that bypasses all the red flags associated with someone like this. 

He’s played his last down IMO.
Let me backpedal some on this.  IF there is truth in what he's saying went down, then I do think he will play again.  Whether he's telling the truth or not, what he did mid-game was unprofessional.   The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Buccaneers asked Antonio Brown to "seek mental help" before his release from the team. 

Brown, per Rapoport, thought the suggestion was "ridiculous" and "just wanted to be released." Headed into the team's Week 17 game against the Jets, Brown and his agent asked the Bucs to guarantee about $1 million in incentives the wideout was chasing in the season's final stretch -- a request the team denied. Brown was reportedly unhappy with the number of targets he had seen in the first half of the Bucs' game against the Jets before storming off the sideline shirtless. This story -- and Brown's versions of it -- is sure to evolve in the coming days. 

RELATED: 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jan 7, 2022, 8:17 AM ET

there exists no team in the national football league that just watched ab take a dump on brady publically and is saying to themselves "we can tame him".

not one.

he's completely done and any thought to the contrary is strictly for fun. 

:lmao:   dude is an absolute clown.  good riddance.

brady never should have tried to save his career, twice.  sure the guy can run fast and catch footballs, but he's a disaster.  i hope the golden boy decides to nuke this fool publicly.  

brady never should have tried to save his career, twice.  sure the guy can run fast and catch footballs, but he's a disaster.  i hope the golden boy decides to nuke this fool publicly.  
Highly unlikely.

I refrain from piling on AB.  As ridiculous as his act has become, he has some issues, possibly football related.  Would like to hear some feedback from the Steeler nation on what AB was like earlier in his career.

uh, it helped him win a SB.  I'm sure he has zero regrets about it.

I have always like Brown for the way he plays the game.  Until his untimely exit he always played hard.   Brown has some serious issues he has to deal with at 34 his career is nearing the end.

Always thought had he stayed a Steeler for the last 3 yearshe probably would have had 300 more receptions, 2500-3000 more yards, at least 30 more TDs. AB was averaging well over 100 receptions a season,10-15 TDs a season. 

Career fizzled out after Pitt with all his issues.

Users who are viewing this thread