What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Andre Holmes, Bills (2 Viewers)

Barring Jordan Reed getting to practice soon I'm going to roll him out there over Patterson & Hopkins in my WR/TE flex.

Jets secondary is horrific. Holmes should catch at least 5 passes on Sunday.
:goodposting:

This is the same Jets secondary that made Brian Hartline look like a WR1 last week after basically being a highly targeted, yet middling scoring WR3/4 all season.

I'm debating E. Sanders or Holmes this weekend. Think Sanders is the safer play, but Holmes might have the higher ceiling (just don't know). Also think the Raiders are going to be slinging it early/often.........

Throw into the equation that the Jets run defense is stout while their pass defense is a joke. Add in the fact that the Raiders are rolling Taiwan Jones at RB in practice because McFadden hurt his toenail again, and Jennings still hasn't been cleared from his concussion protocol. Expect the Raiders to air it out early and often in this one.
This is an accurate post. I'm rolling with Holmes AND Streater in a 16-team league.

Holmes draws Cromartie this weekend. Cromartie is 31 and still a good corner, but clearly on the downslope. He can bump and run and cover the short stuff well still, but he's been burnt on a number of 20 yard plus pass plays. He's basically gambled and lost. Holmes has the size and speed, and body control to make some plays on 50/50 throws. If the Raiders turn McGloin loose to take his shots, Holmes has a decent shot at a long distance TD. Then again, Cro could shut him down. But, I'm pretty confident that Holmes does not disappoint in his second meaningful game. Choo choo!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any concerns here that last week Holmes performed so well because they were rolling coverage to cover Steater and that maybe they pay a little more attention to Holmes this week?

I'm debating E. Sanders or Holmes this weekend. Think Sanders is the safer play, but Holmes might have the higher ceiling (just don't know). Also think the Raiders are going to be slinging it early/often.........
Make you a deal - I'll start Holmes, you start Sanders.

I grabbed Holmes this week. I'm in a start 3 WR/TE league (no mandatory TE). I'm on bye this week so I have the luxury of waiting and seeing on Holmes. But he does strike me as possibly the type of guy who could make a splash for a team like mine.

My WR3 position has been a bit of a hole this year. Right now I have a bunch of possible plug-ins. I'm looking at Bowe, D. Baldwin, Holmes, L. Green, G. Olsen, and C. Fleener. I'm leaning towards pairing Baldwin with Russell Wilson, but if Holmes makes some noise again this week I may take a flyer on him for weeks 15 and 16.

I know no one cares about my team. The point being, Holmes could be one of those players who makes an impact for a couple weeks at the right time for certain teams.

Holmes draws Cromartie this weekend. Cromartie is 31 and still a good corner, but clearly on the downslope. He can bump and run and cover the short stuff well still, but he's been burnt on a number of 20 yard plus pass plays. He's basically gambled and lost. Holmes has the size and speed, and body control to make some plays on 50/50 throws. If the Raiders turn McGloin loose to take his shots, Holmes has a decent shot at a long distance TD. Then again, Cro could shut him down. But, I'm pretty confident that Holmes does not disappoint in his second meaningful game. Choo choo!
Cromartie is Cromartie in name only now. He's been getting toasted all year.

Honestly, my biggest concern is that Geno is SO bad, the Raiders will score defensively and go up 14-0 fairly early and then get conservative. But if the game stays close well into the 2H, I think both WRs will produce.

I'd be scared to death to start this guy... really anyone in this game. Feels way too unpredictable.

Holmes seems like a decent stash for dynasty, but I'd hunt elsewhere in the playoffs. Not really the time I like to roll the dice.

I'd be scared to death to start this guy... really anyone in this game. Feels way too unpredictable.

Holmes seems like a decent stash for dynasty, but I'd hunt elsewhere in the playoffs. Not really the time I like to roll the dice.
Normally I would agree, but if you watched the game on Thanksgiving, McGloin clearly developed a trust in Holmes quickly. He looked for him constantly, often just tossing the ball up to let Holmes use his athletic ability to go get it. I can't imagine he will now just ignore him coming off of a 7-136 effort.

Normally I would agree, but if you watched the game on Thanksgiving, McGloin clearly developed a trust in Holmes quickly. He looked for him constantly, often just tossing the ball up to let Holmes use his athletic ability to go get it. I can't imagine he will now just ignore him coming off of a 7-136 effort.
Gotta agree here. Holmes was looking like the go-to guy. I'm currently starting Holmes over Streeter.

How do people who have seen he and Streater play compare them long term? I have liked what I saw from Streater so far. How sure are we that Holmes is going to be better?
Streater has much less upside than Holmes does. I can see Streater evolving into a good possession receiver that will stick around the league for years, but never someone that will be strong enough to stick into your fantasy lineup as anything more than a low-end match-up play. Think along the lines of a Jason Avant or an Earl Bennett...good hands, dependable player, not consistently fantasy relevant.

Holmes, on the other hand, could flame out of the league in a season or two. Or he could continue to produce and turn into a great WR2. The physical attributes are certainly there...he could be a red zone monster like Plax. Raiders just need a real WR1 to pair alongside him and their deep threat Moore. Chances that they do that next year? Slim to none...I won't believe that the Raiders have rid themselves of the ghost of Al Davis until they have one smart, good draft.

How do people who have seen he and Streater play compare them long term? I have liked what I saw from Streater so far. How sure are we that Holmes is going to be better?
Streater has much less upside than Holmes does. I can see Streater evolving into a good possession receiver that will stick around the league for years, but never someone that will be strong enough to stick into your fantasy lineup as anything more than a low-end match-up play. Think along the lines of a Jason Avant or an Earl Bennett...good hands, dependable player, not consistently fantasy relevant.

Holmes, on the other hand, could flame out of the league in a season or two. Or he could continue to produce and turn into a great WR2. The physical attributes are certainly there..
Well said.

Almost did, but decided a few days ago to go with Green in a league where TE's get 1.5 PPR. Just too much upside.

Rotoworld:

Andre Holmes had three catches for 38 yards in Sunday's Week 17 loss to the Broncos.
He was targeted eight times in the passing game. Holmes had been the Raiders' best receiver over the last four weeks, but took a step back with Terrelle Pryor at quarterback. He finishes his second NFL season with 25 catches, 431 yards, and one touchdown. Holmes will be back at a $645,000 salary in 2014.

Rotoworld:

Andre Holmes up; Denarius Moore down in OAK

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, Andre Holmes "seems to be" passing Denarius Moore as the Raiders' No. 3 receiver.

James Jones and Rod Streater are 1 and 2. Holmes came on strong in the latter half of last season, wrapping up his second NFL campaign with 25 catches for 431 yards (17.2 YPR) and one touchdown. He was Oakland's best receiver over the final month. Moore is entering the final year of his rookie deal. The coaching staff has tired of his inconsistency. We wouldn't be surprised if Moore was traded this summer. Holmes, 26 years old and 6-foot-4, 210, is a deep re-draft sleeper and savvy Dynasty league hold.

Source: Vic Tafur on Twitter

Jun 13 - 9:53 AM

Rotoworld:

Andre Holmes - WR - Raiders

Matt Schaub believes WR Andre Holmes is "a guy that can stretch the field for us."

Holmes, 26, is someone to monitor. He stands 6-foot-4, 210 with 4.45-4.51 speed and averaged 17.2 yards on 25 receptions last season. "Hes a long strider, a big guy who can stretch the field vertically and go up and get the football," described Schaub. With James Jones nursing injuries, Holmes ran with Oakland's first-team offense during OTAs, lining up across from Rod Streater. He looks to have passed Denarius Moore on the depth chart.

Source: CSN Bay Area

Jun 26 - 5:11 PM

If he is so great, why did three teams give up on him? Vikings, Cowboys and Patriots. All those teams had receiving needs and the last stop on that tour, NE, boasts Bill Parcells, supposedly a great eye for talent. Doesn't that make anyone pause?

and the last stop on that tour, NE, boasts Bill Parcells, supposedly a great eye for talent.
:lmao:

Sure he is a long shot to be a really valuable asset, but he got a chance to play in Oak, and looked good at the end of last season. and it looks like he will have another chance to play this year. So he's a nice flier with some upside.

More value/upside than Juron Criner? Criner seems to tear it up when it does not count and then disappear on the depth chart as the season actually starts.

Rotoworld:

Andre Holmes is listed as a first-team wide receiver on the Raiders' first depth chart of training camp.

Welp, maybe he isn't a "sleeper" anymore. 6-foot-4, 210 with 4.45-4.51 speed, 26-year-old Holmes is listed as the starting X receiver opposite Z Rod Streater, with James Jones and Greg Little on the second team. Jones is likely to enter the starting lineup eventually, but Holmes is getting the first crack after averaging 17.2 YPR last season with 60-plus yards and/or a touchdown in four of the Raiders' final five games. Holmes is worth a late flier in re-draft leagues and has upside in Dynasty formats.

Source: Vic Tafur on Twitter

Aug 4 - 5:02 PM

Rotoworld:

Andre Holmes has reportedly been Matt Schaub's "most consistent downfield threat since the team began practicing."

Holmes is a relative unknown because he played his college ball at D-2 Hillsdale, but the tape from last season was eye-opening. The size/speed freak has carried that momentum into camp, where he's getting plenty of first-team reps and was listed as a starter on the initial depth chart. Holmes is on our flier radar. "Sometimes you get these big receivers and they don't play big but Andre's one of those guys that not only does he have that physical stature but he plays to that stature," coach Dennis Allen said.

Source: Associated Press

Aug 6 - 11:39 AM

Rotoworld:

Andre Holmes came off the bench in the Raiders' second preseason game after starting the exhibition opener.

Holmes had a rough night in his reserve role, securing just 2-of-7 targets for 42 yards. He has the most big-play ability in Oakland's wideout corps, but may be utilized best as a situational deep threat. James Jones appears to have moved ahead of Holmes at X receiver, with Rod Streater at Z.

Aug 16 - 3:30 PM

Rotoworld:

Andre Holmes came off the bench in the Raiders' second preseason game after starting the exhibition opener.

Holmes had a rough night in his reserve role, securing just 2-of-7 targets for 42 yards. He has the most big-play ability in Oakland's wideout corps, but may be utilized best as a situational deep threat. James Jones appears to have moved ahead of Holmes at X receiver, with Rod Streater at Z.

Surprising and disheartening to see Holmes take a step back after bursting onto the scene last season.

Well that is the issue with Holmes: consistency. He looks good running down the field and occasionally makes a spectacular catch that gets the buzz going, but he simply isn't reliable. Great physical ability but has trouble playing football consistently at a high level.

Rotoworld:

Surprising and disheartening to see Holmes take a step back after bursting onto the scene last season.
not really surprising to see james jones is first in line. jones has been a productive and established veteran. dont think they want to relegate him without giving him a long look. i still think its very promising that holmes is already pushing jones and has been forcing the team to give him first team reps.

Rotoworld:

not really surprising to see james jones is first in line. jones has been a productive and established veteran. dont think they want to relegate him without giving him a long look. i still think its very promising that holmes is already pushing jones and has been forcing the team to give him first team reps.
Didn't Jones biff a pass right in his chest that was intercepted? It reminded me of the old Jones...

Rotoworld:

Didn't Jones biff a pass right in his chest that was intercepted? It reminded me of the old Jones...
Maybe I over-reacted, but I immediately dropped him. There's no room for that on an offense like the Raiders and I'd rather have a guy with some upside. Streater is the only WR I like for the Raiders (other than Moore whose best hope is going somewhere else).

Rotoworld:

Andre Holmes is expected to get a "more rotational work" with Rod Streater (foot) out 4-5 weeks.

Long one of our favorite wideout prospects, Holmes is tentatively expected to be the No. 3 receiver behind James Jones and Denarius Moore. If he shows well though, he'll easily hold off Brice Butler and Vincent Brown while pushing the constantly underachieving Moore. At the very least Holmes should be on watch lists.

Source: Contra Costa Times

Sep 25 - 9:23 AM

They keep trotting out Moore and his catch % of 50%. What a bunch of losers.
Unfortunately for the Raiders, they do not have a true WR1. Jones makes a nice 2. Moore and Holmes are 3s. Moore and Holmes seem to have the physical tools but seem to mental lapses resulting in drops and poor routes.

Rotoworld:

Andre Holmes caught 5-of-12 targets for 74 yards and a touchdown in Oakland's Week 4 loss to the Dolphins.

A fine day for Holmes' fantasy owners, but his score and most of his yards came deep into garbage time. One of his missed targets was a perfectly catchable ball he let clang off his hands for an interception. It wasn't exactly a game that offered major hope for a blow up after the Raiders' Week 5 bye. It's unclear who will be chucking Holmes passes in Week 6, as Derek Carr (ankle, knee) is sidelined. Neither Matt McGloin nor Matt Schaub are enticing options. Holmes is a boom-or-bust WR4.

Sep 28 - 6:14 PM

Users who are viewing this thread