What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Amon-Ra St. Brown, DET (5 Viewers)

Lions signed fourth-round WR Amon-Ra St. Brown to a four-year contract.

St. Brown was productive in all three seasons at USC, accounting for a career receiving yardage-share of 25 percent and a career receiving TD-share of 24 percent--good numbers for an early declare wide receiver. St. Brown played in the slot and out-wide in college, but broke out as a junior (33 percent dominator rating) playing primarily from the outside. In Detroit, Breshad Perriman and Tyrell Williams are expected to secure the outside roles, meaning St. Brown's opportunity is likely to come out of the slot. Given Jared Goff's proclivities, St. Brown could have a meaningful fantasy role right away if he acclimates quickly to the NFL game. Fourth-round picks are generally not great bets to make an immediate impact, but the available targets in Detroit and St. Brown's formation flexibility makes him far more appealing in fantasy that the typical Day 3 wide receiver. 

Jun 17, 2021, 5:15 PM ET

Biggest fantasy football takeaways for every team from 2021 NFL training camp

Excerpt:

Head Coach Dan Campbell said Amon-Ra St. Brown is headed for a big role and will “see a bunch of targets underneath this season.” St. Brown is a very polished route-runner and can be a short-area safety blanket for Jared Goff. The former Rams quarterback tallied a lowly 6.7-yard average depth of target last season (third-lowest).

St. Brown possesses real sleeper potential at the end of fantasy drafts.

Chris Burke @ChrisBurkeNFL

Amon-Ra St. Brown

vs. Jeff Okudah is incredible, doesn’t matter what drill it is.

Okudah had an outstanding break-up on a deep route up the seam.

St. Brown

’s revenge: Hurdled Okudah in a 1-on-1 tackling drill, punted the ball and then posed out the LeBron chalk celebration.
https://twitter.com/chrisburkenfl/status/1423642387268657155?s=21

Okudah has been the Lions best DB in camp, looking much improved. He and The Sun God have a little competitive rivalry thing going on, with ARSB skipping the line to keep going up against him. TC is fun this year.

Glad to see Jeff making a comeback of sorts. It's almost like last years staff helped mess him up.. I agree that he shouldn't have been picked 3rd,  but he was still a consensus first round talent.

Leroy Hoard said:
Glad to see Jeff making a comeback of sorts. It's almost like last years staff helped mess him up.. I agree that he shouldn't have been picked 3rd,  but he was still a consensus first round talent.

Secondary coach Aubrey Pleasant was with the Rams in the same capacity for the last four years. One of the best teachers in the game. That was one of MCDC first hires after choosing the coordinators, and I'm sure he had Okudah in mind when he asked him to come over. (it was probably due more to the Brad Holmes connection but anyone who looked at the roster would have made getting their pick from last year straightened out a high priority.)

Amazing how much they are putting on ARSB. Anyone who has him should realize this is probably the best year to own him, after they bring in an alpha next year I could see him diminishing over time a la JJSS. But for redraft he's a great pick anytime after the 12th round.

Leroy Hoard said:
That was just classic Lions bad luck and maybe poor management. There wasn't a clear 2nd best non-QB and we couldn't get a trade back based on how it all played out. Taking a CB at 3 was just a bad bet though, especially one who wasn't a Deion/Patrick Peterson off the charts playmaker. 

NFL Expert Votes Amon-Ra St. Brown 'Biggest Sleeper' Heading into Training Camp

• Day 3 prospect 
  • below average speed
  • bad team
  • mediocre QB
  • OC Anthony Lynn = run heavy, slow pace
Stay away guys, that thing I’ve been telling you for months? Well it’s not gonna happen.

If you don’t believe me, you could take him as your WR6/7 around R16-18. But I’d prefer you forget about him and leave his ADP & ECR where it is rn.

What other WR is going to catch more balls on Detroit?  Easily a lock to get 60 plus receptions for 800 plus yards.  An absolute steal for a guy you can pick up at the backend of the draft.   He runs great routes and can get separation on short yardage passes, great hands, and is a tough runner.  He is ideally suited for the short pass game which Goff excells at.  

Does something special every day

That clip is from practice. Haven’t found video o it but during the Lions scrimmage Saturday (8/7) - it’s an annual event for season ticket holders - he caught one of two TDs from Goff. The other went to TJ Hockenson.

I think the FF community is vastly underestimating how much the coaching staff is placing on him. He’s showing out and has a way better than rapport than Perriman or Williams. He and Goff had a good connection in OTAs, worked out together in Southern California over the summer, and its continued into TC. He is already the most trusted WR on the roster.

Lots of good WRs in this class (& last year’s as well.) I think the opportunity trumps Bateman, both Moores, and Marshall for redraft this year. Anyway, great upside value considering where you can get him.

@DetroitOnLion

Jeff Okudah and Amon-Ra St. Brown just had a very physical special teams rep (14 blocking 23).

Okudah demanded to run it back again. They did. Another physical rep in which the two remained locked in to each other, jawing at each other, for a good 10 seconds after the rep.

I’ve read he’s an enthusiastic blocker. Great to see this kind of competitive spirit in TC. Feels different this year. 

@DetroitOnLion

Jeff Okudah and Amon-Ra St. Brown just had a very physical special teams rep (14 blocking 23).

Okudah demanded to run it back again. They did. Another physical rep in which the two remained locked in to each other, jawing at each other, for a good 10 seconds after the rep.

I’ve read he’s an enthusiastic blocker. Great to see this kind of competitive spirit in TC. Feels different this year. 
Jeremy Reisman who covers Detroit said that he finally figured out who ARSB reminds him of: Hines Ward. 

Last edited by a moderator:
got sniped on him late 2nd in several rookie drafts, but maybe he's a good very late round redraft pick
Worth a flyer late in PPR. There is positive buzz, a QB who has a history supporting the slot and very little competition for both the slot WR spot and targets. 

yeah I’m looking at all the Tier 2 rookie WRs in rounds 13-18. Bateman (?), Collins, Marshall, E. Moore, R. Moore, maybe Eskridge if he looks good in PS. But I suspect ARSB might lead all of them in targets. But for redraft they’re all dart throws you might discard to cover bye weeks.

Smith & Waddle are probably the most productive rookies but I’d rather not bc of QB instability and ambiguous roles. Rather take the young vets going around them.

yeah I’m looking at all the Tier 2 rookie WRs in rounds 13-18. Bateman (?), Collins, Marshall, E. Moore, R. Moore, maybe Eskridge if he looks good in PS. But I suspect ARSB might lead all of them in targets. But for redraft they’re all dart throws you might discard to cover bye weeks.

Smith & Waddle are probably the most productive rookies but I’d rather not bc of QB instability and ambiguous roles. Rather take the young vets going around them.
I am with you. Rookies have a nice upside for those late flyer rounds. Eskridge already has hurt his toe and is missing camp. There is talk of maybe trying to make an orthopedic shoe for him to wear so he can try to come back early. Smith has the MCL sprain so he should drop IMO. Elijah Moore is the highest priority then Terrace for me.

I am with you. Rookies have a nice upside for those late flyer rounds. Eskridge already has hurt his toe and is missing camp. There is talk of maybe trying to make an orthopedic shoe for him to wear so he can try to come back early. Smith has the MCL sprain so he should drop IMO. Elijah Moore is the highest priority then Terrace for me.

E Moore gets a ton of good reports, everyone thinks he’ll be good. I have no faith in the Jets or Wilson...which is a pretty weak argument, I should abandon that crutch argument. Situations matter but talent usually prevails. Eventually.

Terrace, similar concerns. Fourth banana and I don’t get what people see in Darnold.

But these guys are lottery tickets in redraft. Hold 3-5 and hope one hits before I need to cut some of them for bye weeks. Same same with RB 4-7, I don’t actually draft them thinking they’ll be Top 24, just hoping their situation changes and they’re on the rise after Thanksgiving.

E Moore gets a ton of good reports, everyone thinks he’ll be good. I have no faith in the Jets or Wilson...which is a pretty weak argument, I should abandon that crutch argument. Situations matter but talent usually prevails. Eventually.

Terrace, similar concerns. Fourth banana and I don’t get what people see in Darnold.

But these guys are lottery tickets in redraft. Hold 3-5 and hope one hits before I need to cut some of them for bye weeks. Same same with RB 4-7, I don’t actually draft them thinking they’ll be Top 24, just hoping their situation changes and they’re on the rise after Thanksgiving.
Your concerns in Darnold and Wilson are very deserving. Questionable QB play and target competition. My interest in Moore is just based on how great I thought he was coming out, how open the Jets offense is and the steady praise he is getting. He could get a ton of targets this year. Marshall has much better target comp but he's the only WR on the team with that kind of alpha size. He's the big body around the end zone they need. 

I just took him in the late 13th round of a best ball PPR redraft. I liked his upside with likely target share more than others still available (Hilton, Shepard, John Brown, Kirk, Campbell types...) 

Just grabbed him at 20 in Dynasty and pretty happy about it. He's got the work ethic and the raw talent, let's see if he can overcome what appears to be a mediocre coaching situation for a WR. 

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters

“As far as wide receivers go, Tyrell Williams will probably be the No. 1. He’s certainly the best deep threat in camp. But snap to snap, Amon-Ra St. Brown has been the more consistent target. He’s a physical, hard-nosed receiver, and I think that will fit well in this offense”
https://twitter.com/32beatwriters/status/1425908693250478085?s=21
(continued)

Betting on a rookie is always a perilous endeavor, and a 112th overall pick at that. But St. Brown hasn’t looked like a 112th overall pick in camp. I think you’re going to see a lot of him this fall, and if camp is any indication, Goff is going to lean on him a lot.

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2021/08/ask-kyle-whos-trending-up-in-lions-camp-and-whos-not.html

Amon-Ra St. Brown caught 2-of-3 targets for four yards in the Lions' preseason finale against the Colts on Friday. 

It caps off a disappointing preseason for the previously hyped fourth-rounder, as he caught six total passes for an anemic 28 yards. Even without Jared Goff, the Lions played their "real" receiver corps on Friday evening, but St. Brown was the fourth wideout into the game behind Breshad Perriman, Quintez Cephus and Tom Kennedy. Pro Football Focus charted him as playing 7-of-26 snaps with tonight's equivalent of the first-team offense in the game. St. Brown still boasts some intrigue in Dynasty leagues, but it is not happening in re-draft right now. 

SOURCE: Nathan Jahnke on Twitter 

Aug 27, 2021, 11:02 PM ET

Even without Jared Goff, the Lions played their "real" receiver corps on Friday evening, but St. Brown was the fourth wideout into the game behind Breshad Perriman, Quintez Cephus and Tom Kennedy. Pro Football Focus charted him as playing 7-of-26 snaps with tonight's equivalent of the first-team offense in the game.
Obviously Faust didn't write that blurb, but uhh... what? That's not their starting WR group... Tyrell Williams, Kalif Raymond, and St. Brown were running as the top three previously.

Kennedy and Perriman may not make the team

Perriman will be gone.  Kennedy is on the bubble, probably on practice squad.  Amon Ra is starting slot and will have good value in the late rounds and produce WR3 numbers.  Kalif Raymond might be worth a stash on very deep leagues.

Obviously Faust didn't write that blurb, but uhh... what? That's not their starting WR group... Tyrell Williams, Kalif Raymond, and St. Brown were running as the top three previously.
Young man was given the starters treatment all preseason. has the writer never seen preseason games before? the guys who play less are the guys who are valued more.  

Who cares about preseason stats? He had a tremendous rookie mini camp, veteran mini camp, OTA’s;, daily star in training camp. if they think that is invalidated because of anemic preseason stats or because the coaches wanted to evaluate their bench in positional groups well  :lol:

ARSB has developed a better connection with Goff than any other wide receiver on the roster. Granted that is like being the tallest midget in the room, but he will be a big part of their offense this year.

Amon-Ra St. Brown caught 2-of-4 targets for 23 yards in the Lions' Week 1 loss to the 49ers.

The fourth-round rookie was third among Lions' receivers with his four targets, and Jared Goff actually missed him down the right side on what should have been a red-zone touchdown in the first quarter. Still, there's little reason to think St. Brown will be any sort of fantasy difference maker in an offense dominated by the running backs and T.J. Hockenson.

Sep 12, 2021, 5:33 PM ET

Amon-Ra St. Brown caught 6-of-8 targets for 70 yards in the Lions' Week 4 loss to the Bears.

St. Brown tied with T.J. Hockenson for the team high in targets, good for a 21% target share. The rookie was one of five Detroit receivers to go for 30+ yards in a game where no Lions receiver went for 100+ yards. St. Brown can't be trusted as a starter in Week 5 against the Vikings, but it's good to see the rookie rebound from just a single target in Week 3.

Amon-Ra St. Brown caught 7-of-8 targets for 65 yards in the Lions' Week 5 loss to the Vikings. 

St. Brown's season high for receptions came as the Lions lost Quintez Cephus to a second quarter shoulder injury. All the rookie has done is empty compiling, but the substance doesn't matter when it comes to PPR. It's a good bet to continue with the Lions direly short on weapons, especially if Cephus has to miss any time. St. Brown could have some WR4 juice for Week 6 against the Bengals. 

Oct 10, 2021, 6:29 PM ET

Seems like ARSB is flying under the radar. Snap count and targets have been on the increase, and with Cephus out long term and a lot of negative game scripts, could be some value here.

Anyone on the bandwagon?

Seems like ARSB is flying under the radar. Snap count and targets have been on the increase, and with Cephus out long term and a lot of negative game scripts, could be some value here.

Anyone on the bandwagon?
13/135 on 16 targets over his last two games

Seems like enough to be a good plug in this week.

13/135 on 16 targets over his last two games

Seems like enough to be a good plug in this week.
From a Lions fan perspective, what do you think of his prospects for the rest of the season? Tyrell Williams will probably return but not like he’s exactly a world beater.

From a Lions fan perspective, what do you think of his prospects for the rest of the season? Tyrell Williams will probably return but not like he’s exactly a world beater.
With Hock & Swift,  I could see him getting a bunch of targets. Not many other WR options on that team and garbage points are Goff's stock and trade.

Anyone on the bandwagon?
yes, in deeper leagues.  Like a lesser Hunter Renfrow 

Anyone on the bandwagon?
Yeah I put in a lot of claims tonight. We shall see. I have been scrambling to deal with injuries and underperformance *before* the bye weeks came. This is the kind of target I will need to actually start. 

On the bandwagon? IDK probably not. I would like to say yes but I would rather see Hockenson eat.

With Golladay hurt, ARob MIA, I'm starting him this week as my #3. Seems like he may be developing an okay floor for 5 for 60 or so. The Renfrow comp definitely resonates. 

With Golladay hurt, ARob MIA, I'm starting him this week as my #3. Seems like he may be developing an okay floor for 5 for 60 or so. The Renfrow comp definitely resonates. 
Certainly a better PPR play than not, but he appears 4th in the TD pecking order (Swift, Hock, Jamaal Williams)

Considering Goff throws like 1.25-1.5 TDs a game average, I'm not seeing anything outside of PPR flex possibly, Could prove me wrong if he's a red-zone threat 

Jared Goff hopes to get rookie WR Amon-Ra St. Brown more involved in the Lions' offense. 

Thanks in part to injuries, the Lions already have, with the fourth-rounder catching 13 balls on 16 targets for 135 yards over the past two weeks. Now Quintez Cephus is on injured reserve. "Saint's done a great job and I think it's our job to get him involved more," was Goff's exact quote. "He's a guy that as a rookie, he doesn't look like a rookie. He's stepped up and he's a guy that four or five years from now, I expect to be in the tops of the league of guys in the slot or even outside that can make those plays and do those things that you'd like to see him do." It's high praise from a quarterback who has been around a while, but the fact of the matter is, St. Brown's involvement will be increasing whether the Lions want it to or not. He's a usage-based WR4 who could crash the WR3 ranks on raw volume going forward.  

SOURCE: detroitlions.com

Oct 14, 2021, 6:36 PM ET

Amon-Ra St. Brown caught 5-of-7 targets for 26 yards and a 2-PT conversion in the Lions' Week 6 loss to the Bengals.

St. Brown is allegedly the Lions' No. 1 wide receiver with Quintez Cephus out, but he was out produced by Kalif Raymond on Sunday. St. Brown doesn't necessarily need to be on rosters, and will be a desperation FLEX play against the Rams in Week 7.

- NBC SportsEDGE

Users who are viewing this thread