What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who the Heck is Tim Wright? (2 Viewers)

At this point, the answer to the question of the thread is, "Tim Wright is Mike Williams". However you quantify Mike Williams, Tim Wright has moved into his role. Notably, Wright started the last game and was listed by TB as one of two starting WR's with Crabtree starting as a TE. Underwood got a lot of snaps also, but clearly the two main receiving focal points are VJax and Wright.
Man, you got to love that.

Also: FYI MIA is No. 2 in FFPA to TE's (FFT). 6 TDs allowed on the year.
I like Timmy Wright (esp with his WR/TE designation) and your point about MIA D is nice for this weekend.

But the bolded sentence above is misleading. Wright may have played the first snap, but Underwood was on the field more often. Snap % / Targets vs the Seahawks this past weekend -

VJax 99% / 4

Underwood 77% / 3

Crabtree 58% / 1

Wright 54% / 4

Maybe this will change going forward with Wright making some noise, but for now it seems like Underwood is playing the Mike Williams snaps.
Thanks.

I don't have the stats to back it up, but I'd wager that Wright is on the field for a majority of the passing downs. As tight end is the toughest offensive skill position to pick up, it's likely that he is not as trusted as a blocker yet. If that's the case (again, this is just speculation based on the game or two I've watched him play), he'd still be on the field for a vast majority of the "quality" downs, while on the bench for the downs where he wouldn't be an option anyway.

I don't have the stats to back it up, but I'd wager that Wright is on the field for a majority of the passing downs. As tight end is the toughest offensive skill position to pick up, it's likely that he is not as trusted as a blocker yet. If that's the case (again, this is just speculation based on the game or two I've watched him play), he'd still be on the field for a vast majority of the "quality" downs, while on the bench for the downs where he wouldn't be an option anyway.
Fair point. I do wish there was a service that provided further breakdowns of snaps and utilization rates.

At this point, the answer to the question of the thread is, "Tim Wright is Mike Williams". However you quantify Mike Williams, Tim Wright has moved into his role. Notably, Wright started the last game and was listed by TB as one of two starting WR's with Crabtree starting as a TE. Underwood got a lot of snaps also, but clearly the two main receiving focal points are VJax and Wright.

I like Timmy Wright (esp with his WR/TE designation) and your point about MIA D is nice for this weekend.

But the bolded sentence above is misleading. Wright may have played the first snap, but Underwood was on the field more often. Snap % / Targets vs the Seahawks this past weekend -

VJax 99% / 4

Underwood 77% / 3

Crabtree 58% / 1

Wright 54% / 4

Maybe this will change going forward with Wright making some noise, but for now it seems like Underwood is playing the Mike Williams snaps.
The above is misleading. Underwood is just a decoy and has been targeted only 11 times in the last four weeks. In those same four weeks Wright has been targeted 24 times with 30 targets in the last five games. It doesn't matter how many snaps you play...it is how you are used. As I stated above, Wright and VJax are the main receiving focal points because they get the targets and the red zone looks. That's what matters.

VJax 99% / 4

Underwood 77% / 3

Crabtree 58% / 1

Wright 54% / 4

The above is misleading. Underwood is just a decoy and has been targeted only 11 times in the last four weeks. In those same four weeks Wright has been targeted 24 times with 30 targets in the last five games. It doesn't matter how many snaps you play...it is how you are used. As I stated above, Wright and VJax are the main receiving focal points because they get the targets and the red zone looks. That's what matters.
Touche.

I would still like to see Wright get more snaps, but I agree that snap quality and utilization rate are deeper, more important factors.

solorca said:
Looks like my theory was wrong. Wright was used on 38 plays this past weekend, 19 passing downs and 19 blocking downs. Tom Crabtree was used on 12 passing routes.

I'm not going to get too concerned about this however because this was an odd game for Tampa Bay. They started trying to run the clock out with about 40 minutes left in the game and I don't think you can use much of what happened in this game as a guide to their future usage.

Reference - http://www.xnsports.com/2013/11/06/fantasy-football-week-10-tight-streaming-options/

Last edited by a moderator:
anybody worried about him this week against MIA? In the beginning of the season MIA had a tough time stopping the TE's but as a D they have been coming on lately and the pass rush is heating up. two weeks ago they held Gronk to 2-27. I do like that Glennon is looking for him in the RZ, which MIA hasnt given up a td to a TE since week 4.

Like someone else said theres a few good TEs out there then its a crapshoot...Wrights got as good a chance as any of those guys
my bad i should have clarified. in my head i was thinking as a flex play for those that use te's in the flex or even in yahoo where they have him as a wr.

The kid looks like the real deal I actually like him more then Reed and Cameron. The BUcs will be throwing from behind and I don't mind that my TE is pretty much a WR3

With his TE/WR designation on Yahoo, he has a spot on my bench as my WR4 and TE3. I'd like to see a good performance against a decent Miami secondary this week.

The kid looks like the real deal I actually like him more then Reed and Cameron. The BUcs will be throwing from behind and I don't mind that my TE is pretty much a WR3
You like him more than Reed and Cameron for this week, for the rest of the season, or as a player in general?

I like Wright as a player, but no chance I'd take him long term over Reed or Cameron. I don't think he's on the same planet talent wise as Reed. Reed is a mismatch nightmare the same way Aaron Hernandez was.

Wright is a nice story as a Schiano guy from Rutgers, but there's no telling what his Tampa future will be post-Schiano.

I'm starting him. Mainly because he's got the most upside from the filth left on the wire.

I'm going against all 12:00 opponents, so hoping I won't need him come Monday.

Who starting him this week? I might play him over Olsen this week
I'm starting him over Garrett Graham. I traded away my top TE (Witten) because I was so confident in Wright for the rest of the season. He's given me no reason not to trust him so far.

I wouldnt be too worried just yet. Mia has shutdown the te position recently. Will be interesting to see how snaps he got because I didnt notice him in there all that much

While I'm just as disappointed as anyone with his performance, it's worth noting that this was not a normal game for Tampa Bay. They aren't gong to typically be ahead early in the game like they were the past two weeks, and they are going to normally be in a position where they need to pass more.

I'm more nervous about starting him next week than I normally would be, but he's been relatively solid since Glennon took over, with this only being his second down game in the last six. Over that span, he's still the TE5 in PPR.

Given that Garrett Graham or Delanie Walker are my only other options, he's locked into my starting lineup regardless, but I'll still be rolling him out with relative confidence.

This is my first post in this thread, but I've mentioned Wright in other threads and heard all sorts of unreasonably high opinions of him. That he's some sort of "ascendent" talent. A WR occupying a TE spot. Just stopped short of calling him Aaron Hernandez - the good guy. Please...stop. Just stop.

What he is....he's a Schiano man. Guy's from Rutgers, and Schiano loves him some Rutgers men. If it weren't for Schiano, Brian Leonard woudn't be in the league. For that matter, probably a dozen or so more Rutgers guys are earning an NFL paycheck thanks to Schiano. The only clear talent he has is being a Schiano man. While that does mean he has some fantasy value, he's not an "ascendent" talent. C'mon.

This is my first post in this thread, but I've mentioned Wright in other threads and heard all sorts of unreasonably high opinions of him. That he's some sort of "ascendent" talent. A WR occupying a TE spot. Just stopped short of calling him Aaron Hernandez - the good guy. Please...stop. Just stop.

What he is....he's a Schiano man. Guy's from Rutgers, and Schiano loves him some Rutgers men. If it weren't for Schiano, Brian Leonard woudn't be in the league. For that matter, probably a dozen or so more Rutgers guys are earning an NFL paycheck thanks to Schiano. The only clear talent he has is being a Schiano man. While that does mean he has some fantasy value, he's not an "ascendent" talent. C'mon.
Let's dispel this myth please. Bill Belichick has basically an entire defensive backfield of Rutgers players.

RUSF18 said:
Raiderfan32904 said:

Let's dispel this myth please. Bill Belichick has basically an entire defensive backfield of Rutgers players.
NJ football always produces solid talent. Some stay in state at Rutgers.

I actually thought he looked pretty smooth on his one catch..... Problem is it was one freaking catch.... They are down another running back so maybe that bodes well for his chances down the stretch though

Picked him up last week to use on Witten's bye, but last night was disappointing. I'm gonna roll with him for Wk 11 so here's to hoping he catches a TD.

Cut! One catch days are useless in fantasy. You only get one shot with me. One catch gets you cut the next day if you were just a lottery ticket anyways especially.

Considering there are no other potential lottery ticket types on my wire Im probably gonna hang on to him...just as likely to see a similar stat line from them...or worse

Yeah, no other good TEs have bad games.

Rolling with him again over roddy white, at least Wright has done something this year.

Phenix said:
Cut! One catch days are useless in fantasy. You only get one shot with me. One catch gets you cut the next day if you were just a lottery ticket anyways especially.
Good philosophy. Jimmy Graham, Jordan Cameron and Vernon Davis had 1 or 0 catch days.

Ketamine Dreams said:
Hold in dynasty and redraft?
depends on what you can get, but most leagues will probably close trading soon, and given this is likely a bad week to trade him; yeah, I think you need to hold.

Anybody been able to trade him in dynasty? I am loaded at TE and tried to trade him for a RB candidate (B Brown, C Michael) or a pick with no luck.

Users who are viewing this thread