What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who the Heck is Tim Wright? (1 Viewer)

Which rarely-startable Patriot player will go off next week?
My bet is on Amendola being the focus of the game plan because GB can't defend players whose last name begins and ends with the same vowel.

Obviously super frustrating from a fantasy standpoint but if we all can't call it no wonder why the Pats are defeating all the divisional leaders they're facing and by comfortable margins. GB will be a huge indicator since they also are though they struggled with MIN yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:
My bet is on Amendola being the focus of the game plan because GB can't defend players whose last name begins and ends with the same vowel.

Obviously super frustrating from a fantasy standpoint but if we all can't call it no wonder why the Pats are defeating all the divisional leaders they're facing and by comfortable margins. GB will be a huge indicator since they also are though they struggled with MIN yesterday.
a huge indicator of what?

pats already took a switch to cincy, denver, indy, and detroit

Yes, you've a great point but GB is probably the hottest of those 4 going in, posting huge scores and margins of victory -- well until yesterday. Cinci and Detroit weren't playing that great when they faced off with NE IIRC. The Denver and Indy wins are over great teams but both are AFC teams with a history of struggling to beat the Pats.

Amendola vs GB: 12-223-2.

TIGHT END

Rob Gronkowski -- 58 of 74

Michael Hoomanawanui -- 40 of 74

Tim Wright -- 16 of 74

Quick-hit thoughts: Gronkowski was part of every package except a 2 WR/1 TE/1 FB/1 RB grouping as the Patriots are picking spots to give him a breather. ... Of Wright's 16 snaps, 12 came in the first half. One theory as to why his snaps weren't higher (he had 19 last week) is that the Bills were matching him in the 2-TE package with nickel personnel and the Patriots might have preferred to throw against the Bills' base personnel.
WIDE RECEIVER

Julian Edelman -- 65 of 74

Brandon LaFell -- 53 of 74

Danny Amendola -- 24 of 74

Aaron Dobson -- 11 of 74

Brian Tyms -- 8 of 74
~ mike reiss
Hopefully this wasnt just a game plan thing and he stays involved going forward...
well, I'd say he pretty much got cam fleming's snaps, if you compare to the indy game

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- A look at snaps played by New England Patriots offensive skill-position players in Sunday's win over the Detroit Lions (including penalties):

TIGHT END

Rob Gronkowski -- 79 of 81

Tim Wright -- 61 of 81

Michael Hoomanawanui -- 15 of 81

Quick-hit thoughts: Wright's 61 smashed his previous high of 21, which came twice (against Miami and Chicago). Wright was a bigger part of the plan as the Patriots trended to the pass out of their 2-WR/2-TE/1-RB grouping with Gronkowski and Wright as the tight ends. ... The only two snaps that Gronkowski didn't play came on the second drive of the third quarter, with the Patriots using a 3-WR/1-FB/1-RB grouping and a 3-WR/1-TE/1-RB grouping with Hoomanawanui. ... The 15 snaps for Hoomanawanui were one shy of a season low (14, at Kansas City) as he has averaged 32 snaps per game up to this point.WIDE RECEIVER

Brandon LaFell -- 72 of 81

Julian Edelman -- 67 of 81

Danny Amendola -- 15 of 81

Brian Tyms -- 6 of 81

Quick-hit thoughts: The 15 snaps for Amendola were a season-low (previous low was 19, against Minnesota), as the Patriots mostly played out of their 2-WR/2-TE/1-RB grouping with LaFell and Edelman the top options at receiver. Amendola had been averaging 31 snaps per game up to this point. ... Five of Tyms' six snaps came in the third quarter after an incomplete deep pass down the middle of the field to LaFell, who retreated to the sideline for a breather.

FULLBACK

James Develin -- 9 of 81

Quick-hit thoughts: Not a big fullback game, as Develin didn't play on offense in the first half and had eight of his nine snaps on the final drive.
thx, mike reiss!!
Off. Snap Count %'s for Wright:

8. 29%

9. 14%

10. Bye

11. 14%

12. 76% - started in a 2 TE set

Yes, you've a great point but GB is probably the hottest of those 4 going in, posting huge scores and margins of victory -- well until yesterday. Cinci and Detroit weren't playing that great when they faced off with NE IIRC. The Denver and Indy wins are over great teams but both are AFC teams with a history of struggling to beat the Pats.

Amendola vs GB: 12-223-2.
wat

btw, for those trying to crack the code, cam fleming's been limited in practice all week --- my guess is he's an early Q, but we'll see who travels because it's a road game

flapgreen said:
Starting with confidence!
Starting him as well but maybe not as confident. The idea they run the ball today makes me wonder if Hoomanwanui or the extra OLman doesn't stay in more to block, then again maybe Wright becomes part of the short to medium passing game which is a big deal in the NE offense, I don't want to miss out on that if it's the latter.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Patriots reporter Mike Reiss suggests Tim Wright could have a bigger role than usual in Saturday's Divisional game against the Ravens.

The Ravens rank fourth in the NFL against the run and haven't allowed a 100-yard rusher in 27 games. So logic follows that this will be more of a spread, pass-based gameplan from the Patriots. Wright would still make for a very risky play in DFS formats, as predicting his usage has been a shaky endeavor all year long. He has one or zero catches in 12-of-16 games this season.

Source: ESPN Boston
Jan 5 - 9:53 AM

Rotoworld:

Patriots TE Tim Wright was not targeted in Super Bowl XLIX.

We saw Wright enter on a third-down play in the second quarter, but otherwise he wasn't heard from. The Patriots acquired Wright in last summer's Logan Mankins trade with Tampa Bay, and he finished the regular season with a 25-269-6 receiving line, handling a highly inconsistent and matchup-specific role. Wright turns 25 this April. We would not be surprised to see his usage grow as a "move" tight end behind Rob Gronkowski in 2015.

Feb 1 - 10:54 PM

It would be surprising if they hadn't made other TE moves… I wonder what the deal was? Attitude? Work ethic? Smarts? He certainly seemed like a good compliment, more like a big WR, to big Gronk. Many of us thought he was going to grow into a big role for the team but at some point last year he started to disappear.

I mean they dragged in Fred Davis for some reason, I thought he was gonna be a camp body but I'm not sure now.

Tim put on weight this offseason to be more of a complete TE. Maybe he lost speed?

I think the most likely case is he just didn't pick up the system.

If I were to guess, NE probably thought he was too small and not really a good enough blocker to be a TE. But too big, maybe not fast or quick enough, and maybe not good enough hands to be a WR. Once they added Chandler and Davis, I didn't see them keeping Wright. Maybe another team can pick him up and find a bigger role for him . . .

I mean they dragged in Fred Davis for some reason, I thought he was gonna be a camp body but I'm not sure now.

Tim put on weight this offseason to be more of a complete TE. Maybe he lost speed?

I think the most likely case is he just didn't pick up the system.
Bucs had him putting on weight as well as soon as the new regime came in. There was a worry then that he would get slower and not be as effective of a pass catcher. Likely this is what happened. He had most of his success when the Bucs were thin on WR.

They won the SB, so its hard ro rip them, but the Pats were on the bad end of that trade.
It was a cap move. They traded Mankins for Wright AND a fourth. Cleared up a lot of cap room and Mankins was coming off a pretty poor year - was definitely not worth the money, Wright put up 6 TDs and as you said, they got the Lombardi.

They won the SB, so its hard ro rip them, but the Pats were on the bad end of that trade.
What? They still won the Super Bowl without Mankins while shedding his contract, TB ended up being the worst team in the league, and NE got the 2nd pick in the 4th round plus took a flier on Wright. How in the world were they on the bad end of the deal?

What? They still won the Super Bowl without Mankins while shedding his contract, TB ended up being the worst team in the league, and NE got the 2nd pick in the 4th round plus took a flier on Wright. How in the world were they on the bad end of the deal?
serious? or homer joke?

If I were to guess, NE probably thought he was too small and not really a good enough blocker to be a TE. But too big, maybe not fast or quick enough, and maybe not good enough hands to be a WR. Once they added Chandler and Davis, I didn't see them keeping Wright. Maybe another team can pick him up and find a bigger role for him . . .
Your description is pretty close for their new TE

http://www.rockchalktalk.com/2015/5/1/8530965/2015-draft-profile-jimmay-mundine-kansas-jayhawks

That's "the rub" with BB. He lllloves a mismatch so someone that's bigger or faster is glorious but when he's cut he's considered almost awkward for the very same reasons

I can see a few teams where his value would go up. Falcons are on the top of the list I would assume
He's a backup, not a starter. He could be better than all 31 other backups.

As a starter, it's a whole different comparison IMO. Yeah Falcons would be a good spot.

(RotoWire) Wright was claimed off waivers by the Buccaneers on Friday. Analysis: Wright rejoins the Buccaneers just under a year after Tampa Bay traded him to New England, who released the tight end on Thursday. In his lone season with the Patriots, Wright managed 26 catches for 259 yards and six touchdowns. That production mostly dipped from his 2013 rookie totals of 54 catches for 571 yards and five touchdowns with the Bucs, where he'll hope to earn a significant role once again, despite the presence of fellow tight ends Austin Seferian-Jenkins and Brandon Myers this time around.
Damn, back to square one.

Casting Couch said:
Donnybrook said:
Bucs with first waiver priority could get him back
I have to wonder if Bucs really need him or whether they are just blocking his path to the Falcons and Saints.
Always good to have a solid 1-2 punch at TE. Sef-Jenkins and Wright may give you that.

They definitely can use him. ASJ has shown little to nothing, and Brandon Myers IS nothing.
ASJ was nicked up all last year. With a full season to recoop and learn the playbook, I'm expecting him to make a big jump this year, even more when taking he actually has a QB now (a young one's security blanket at that).

Rotoworld:

A source tells ESPN that 10 teams put in a waiver claim for Tim Wright.

It's a reminder that Wright, who posted a 54-571-5 line as a rookie, can play. The Bucs were awarded Wright thanks to the No. 1 priority, but the Jets, Bears, Falcons, Browns, Saints, Dolphins, Chiefs, Steelers and Lions all submitted claims. Back with Tampa, Wright will compete for the right to complement Austin Seferian-Jenkins and Brandon Myers in a "move" role. He'll be a restricted free agent after this season.

Source: Field Yates on Twitter
Jun 15 - 9:33 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8850/tim-wright

This kid just can't catch a break? With Ebron and Pettigrew in front of him, he's really in the wrong team?

Maybe they will use him in the slot? That's his only hope if he wishes to contribute.

p.s. read somewhere that he's the only guy who has been in 3 teams in his first two years! Congrats for that!

I have to make a comment that there's something fishy about Buccaneers actions.

First they picked Tim up from the waivers just that Atlanta or some other team wouldn't get him

and the traded him to Detroit just before the season starts. Don't know if it was planned, but Bucs

from all teams should know what they would get from Tim?

No fantasy value here, that's for sure, until he learns the Lions offense.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2015/09/01/tim-wright-detroit-lions/71521586/

Users who are viewing this thread