What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who the Heck is Tim Wright? (4 Viewers)

Dynasty what are we looking at with him? Schiano, and his connection to Wright through Rutgers, is likely gone at the end of the year. Glennon is not a lock to be the starter next year under the new coach. Is Wright good enough to be the starter no matter what? Is he good enough to be a top tier TE moving forward in dynasty?

Dynasty what are we looking at with him? Schiano, and his connection to Wright through Rutgers, is likely gone at the end of the year. Glennon is not a lock to be the starter next year under the new coach. Is Wright good enough to be the starter no matter what? Is he good enough to be a top tier TE moving forward in dynasty?
Top tier? No

Startable? Yes

Top tier? NoStartable? Yes
Really all depends on what the roster looks like next yr and who the coaching staff is... He is never gonna be a true do it all TE IMO but in the right system he could be a productive swing TE... If glennon shows enough to be part of the picture next yr that could bode well for mr wright as they are roommates

The kid will eventually transition to full on WR in the future IMO...possibly even by the end of the year. He is going to be by default the 2nd option in the TB passing game after MikeWill's injury.

Missed out on him in a dynasty league, but considering him in my BIG money league - 24 teams. Seriously considering him as my 2nd TE behind Reed. What's stopping me is I have Cook...

Yea yea...semi assistant coach post I know. But still could be relevant considering most FBG's in this thread are interested in his production.

Do you heads value you him over the likes of Cook ROS?

Scooped him in dyno ww tonight for 30k on a $1m 18 player team salary.. Will most likely sign him for 2-3 years. he will be joining Julius Thomas who was signed for 15.5k before the season started. I see Wright as comparable upside to Cook w/ a nice floor due to bucs always being in garbage time. He reminds me of a Cecil Shorts-esque player in the TE position, not based on actual player attributes but in FF production terms, Shorts is relatively matchup proof. The dude is gunna get his 5-7 catches per game simply based off volume and garbage time. I see Wright offering similair ff production "floor".. maybe 4-5 catches, 40-60 yards, 0.5 TD / game? Either way in the 16 team dyno league that I'm in he serves as a great bye week/flex canidate

The kid will eventually transition to full on WR in the future IMO...possibly even by the end of the year. He is going to be by default the 2nd option in the TB passing game after MikeWill's injury.

Missed out on him in a dynasty league, but considering him in my BIG money league - 24 teams. Seriously considering him as my 2nd TE behind Reed. What's stopping me is I have Cook...

Yea yea...semi assistant coach post I know. But still could be relevant considering most FBG's in this thread are interested in his production.

I do.

I do.
Dropped Cook for him yesterday and I have Reed as well.

Scooped him in dyno ww tonight for 30k on a $1m 18 player team salary.. Will most likely sign him for 2-3 years. he will be joining Julius Thomas who was signed for 15.5k before the season started. I see Wright as comparable upside to Cook w/ a nice floor due to bucs always being in garbage time. He reminds me of a Cecil Shorts-esque player in the TE position, not based on actual player attributes but in FF production terms, Shorts is relatively matchup proof. The dude is gunna get his 5-7 catches per game simply based off volume and garbage time. I see Wright offering similair ff production "floor".. maybe 4-5 catches, 40-60 yards, 0.5 TD / game? Either way in the 16 team dyno league that I'm in he serves as a great bye week/flex canidate
7 rookie TEs have averaged 40 yards per game since 1980.

3 rookie TEs have averaged 4 receptions per game since 1980.

I know Wright gets used a lot as a WR, but still, that's way too high to be his floor.

ETA: No rookie TEs have averaged 60 yards per game since 1980 (Shockey checked in at 59.2). Only Keith Jackson has topped 5 receptions per game as a rookie (5.1 per). So your "floor" projection works out to somewhere between merely one of the five best rookie TEs of the last 30 years, and the hands down best rookie TE of the last 30 years. Expectations seem a little bit high for a rookie UDFA.

Last edited by a moderator:

I do.
I was big on cook since he was drafted, but yes. I wouldn't trade Wright for cook.

Beast, he looks like a bigger Anquan Boldin out there. Great chemistry with Glennon, he just put the ball up for grabs. Whats his nickname? We have to come up with one...

The Flyer

Airborne

Captain

Can't Be Wrong

Flight

liking this kid. what's his outlook for the reaminder of the year? startable as an every week te? wr3 even?

FUBAR said:
thehornet said:
liking this kid. what's his outlook for the reaminder of the year? startable as an every week te? wr3 even?
Like him as a flex, wouldn't be quite add positive with him as a top 12 TE
I think he's top 10 from here on out and here's why:

- over the past 4 weeks he's averaging 6 targets per game (top 10 for TEs over that span)...and that's WITH Martin and Williams each playing 2 games over that stretch. With those two no longer active (yes, I'm prematurely counting Martin out), they'll be even more targets for him.

- they will not be ahead in many games like there were yesterday. And even if they are, maybe schiano learned something about how to close out a game by NOT going into the prevent offense in the middle of the third quarter!

- he young, athletic and (likely) only getting better

- his schedule is favoarble (with the next 3 being MIA, ATL, @DET)

- TB has one weapon (V Jax) who will draw the bulk of defensive attention

- Glennon is throwing it pretty well (over his five starts he has 60% completion, 8TD and 3 Ints)

I don't know much of Wright as I haven't watched Tampa in a few weeks, is he a better week 10 bye fill in against Miami or Fleener against the Rams? Most people are telling me Fleener but I keep seeing Wrights name.

I don't know much of Wright as I haven't watched Tampa in a few weeks, is he a better week 10 bye fill in against Miami or Fleener against the Rams? Most people are telling me Fleener but I keep seeing Wrights name.
im liking wright over fleener. wright has glennon's eye and he is their best option after vjax. he isnt a bad route runner.

FUBAR said:
thehornet said:
With Mike Williams on IR, I'd be okay with Wright as a fringe TE1. Once you get past the top 6 or 8 guys, everyone else is just a crapshoot, anyway. Wright definitely deserves to be in the mix there.

You guys like him over Olsen? Olsen seems to be losing targets to Lafell "and I cant get up." Not sure I would trust Wright in fantasy playoffs though lol

You guys like him over Olsen? Olsen seems to be losing targets to Lafell "and I cant get up." Not sure I would trust Wright in fantasy playoffs though lol
Wright was tied for the team lead in targets this week.

Glennon sees him and Vjax when throwing the ball, good option.

Was starting him over Reed this week, but now may have to over Boykin (I know, u dont care, but love the WR/TE bonus through bye weeks and injuries)

Wright was tied for the team lead in targets this week.

Glennon sees him and Vjax when throwing the ball, good option.

Was starting him over Reed this week, but now may have to over Boykin (I know, u dont care, but love the WR/TE bonus through bye weeks and injuries)
Yeah, he's great in Yahoo because of that roster flexibility.

FUBAR said:
thehornet said:
With Mike Williams on IR, I'd be okay with Wright as a fringe TE1. Once you get past the top 6 or 8 guys, everyone else is just a crapshoot, anyway. Wright definitely deserves to be in the mix there.
You're making me rethink this (although it doesn't really matter, I start him along with Reed and Witten - until my WRs get healthy). I guess I just don't trust him enough, although he is the #3 TE over the past 2 weeks, top 6 since his bye week.

ETA: it's kind of ironic that I'm on the other side of this now, given that in post #34 (3 weeks ago) I'm advocating for him doing well.

FUBAR said:
FUBAR said:
thehornet said:
You're making me rethink this (although it doesn't really matter, I start him along with Reed and Witten - until my WRs get healthy). I guess I just don't trust him enough, although he is the #3 TE over the past 2 weeks, top 6 since his bye week.

ETA: it's kind of ironic that I'm on the other side of this now, given that in post #34 (3 weeks ago) I'm advocating for him doing well.
I find myself flipping sides pretty often. If you think a guy is TE12, then when the consensus is that he's TE20 you're going to be arguing that he's underrated. If the consensus shoots him up the board and you don't move much, suddenly you're defending the other side. It happened to me this offseason where I went from the highest staffer on Julius Thomas (Yay!) to suddenly trying to defend why he wasn't going to be a fantasy TE1 this year (Whoops!). It actually happens to me a lot when "my guys" first break out, since my rankings tend to have a decent amount of inertia.

I'm extremely confident in Tim Wright for the remainder of the year. Ever since Glennon has taken over, he's put up at least solid numbers in all but one week in PPR and I don't see that changing. If anything, I think Glennon will rely on him more as defenses key in on taking Vincent Jackson out of the gameplan. He's a redzone threat and a matchup nightmare given his size.

I was willing to put my money where my mouth is as well, trading away Jason Witten prior to last week's game for a package including Tim Wright (the other piece was Terrance Williams). Witten may have had a better week, but for the remainder of the season, I'm not going to be shocked if Wright outproduces him.

In dynasty, I'm a little more lukewarm to him. I think he's in a perfect spot for production this season with a team often playing from behind, a #2 receiver being banged up, and head coach that has familiarity with him. I plan on updating my dynasty rankings this weekend and he'll crack the top 20 at the tight end position, but in redraft he's in my top 8.

In the 5 games he's been active and played a decent amount of snaps, Wright has 23 grabs (on 31 targets) for 253 yards (11 YPC) and 2 TDs. Per game, that's 4.6/50.6/0.4.

For comparison, Jordan Reed has been active and played a decent amount of snaps for 7 games. He has 38 grabs (on 49 targets) for 425 yards (11.2 YPC) and 2 TDs. Per game, that's 5.4/60.7/0.29.

Obviously, there's a big difference in pedigree- Reed went to Florida and was a 3rd round pick while Wright went to Rutgers and wasn't selected. They are the same height, with a 10 lb difference. Born 3 months apart. Reed didn't workout due to a knee, but they posted similar 40 times. Obviously Reed gets to play with RGIII, which is a big plus, but I still feel that Wright is being underrated.

EDIT: I have Reed as a top 5 TE, I don't want to make it seem like I think they should be ranked the same. But I think Wright is definitely a TE1 in dynasty.

I've been going back and forth with another owner on Wright for some time. Hard to get a read on his dynasty value, but I have to think he's earned a shot as a move TE somewhere...and also that barring injury he will continue to produce and his value will continue to rise for the duration of this year at a minimum. Low-end boom/bust dyno TE1?

EthnicFury said:
I've been going back and forth with another owner on Wright for some time. Hard to get a read on his dynasty value, but I have to think he's earned a shot as a move TE somewhere...and also that barring injury he will continue to produce and his value will continue to rise for the duration of this year at a minimum. Low-end boom/bust dyno TE1?
I feel like he is a lock to finish the 2nd half the season as a TE1. His situation is great right now in TB:

-Rookie QB; Glennon has already shown he likes looking Wrights way

-Playing time: With Mike Williams out and no other competition at TE, Wright is their #2 option on offense.. Not just the passing game with the injury to Martin

-Athleticism: he's a former college WR so he isn't some lumbering blocker that might catch a few 8 yard posts; he has the speed to attack all over the field

-Situation: TB isn't very good. They will be playing from behind a lot and defenses will surely be keying on VJax. That leaves a lot of opportunity for Wright in the target department

EthnicFury said:
I feel like he is a lock to finish the 2nd half the season as a TE1. His situation is great right now in TB:

-Rookie QB; Glennon has already shown he likes looking Wrights way

-Playing time: With Mike Williams out and no other competition at TE, Wright is their #2 option on offense.. Not just the passing game with the injury to Martin

-Athleticism: he's a former college WR so he isn't some lumbering blocker that might catch a few 8 yard posts; he has the speed to attack all over the field

-Situation: TB isn't very good. They will be playing from behind a lot and defenses will surely be keying on VJax. That leaves a lot of opportunity for Wright in the target department
Absolutely agreed RE: this season, for all the reasons you listed. The main question in my mind is long-term value and whether he turns into a pumpkin when Schiano inevitably gets fired if the next coach wants a TE that can block.

Like I said, I tend to think that he'll have a shot to play somewhere (whether in TB or not) after a season of showing he can play that role effectively. If he keeps producing anywhere near this rate it'd be silly not to give him a chance.

EthnicFury said:
I don't even think he's boom/bust. I think he's one of the more stable options out there currently. Sure, there is a chance of a low scoring game like anyone else, but I think the likelihood of him getting at least 4-5 catches every week is quite high.

EthnicFury said:
I don't even think he's boom/bust. I think he's one of the more stable options out there currently. Sure, there is a chance of a low scoring game like anyone else, but I think the likelihood of him getting at least 4-5 catches every week is quite high.
Aside from the clear downgrade at qb, how different is he from colston his rookie year? Wright didn't set camp on fire but otherwise it seems similar

There was a little more uptick in Timmah's ownership% this week but he's still at 50% - I could see a big game vs Miami on MNF coming up, 2 TDs that kind of thing, and suddenly everyone will know him.

As a Cameron owner, I made him my priority add this week. I'll be using him over Cameron's bye, of course, and I wouldn't be surprised, if I ended up using him for a couple weeks after that.

The big problem with him for this year is his weeks 13-16 schedule (@CAR, BUF, SF, @STL). That's a brutal stretch to end the year, and it severely limits his value in redrafts, IMO.

I do.
I was big on cook since he was drafted, but yes. I wouldn't trade Wright for cook.
I just traded Cook for a 2nd Round Rookie Pick and picked up Wright as a 3rd TE behind JThomas and Reed. Completely happy with those two transactions looking toward the future in dynasty

At this point, the answer to the question of the thread is, "Tim Wright is Mike Williams". However you quantify Mike Williams, Tim Wright has moved into his role. Notably, Wright started the last game and was listed by TB as one of two starting WR's with Crabtree starting as a TE. Underwood got a lot of snaps also, but clearly the two main receiving focal points are VJax and Wright.

As a Cameron owner, I made him my priority add this week. I'll be using him over Cameron's bye, of course, and I wouldn't be surprised, if I ended up using him for a couple weeks after that.

The big problem with him for this year is his weeks 13-16 schedule (@CAR, BUF, SF, @STL). That's a brutal stretch to end the year, and it severely limits his value in redrafts, IMO.
I'm in the same boat. I made the preemptive pick up on him last week looking forward to Cameron's bye this week. I'm not going to lie; Cameron's game last week scared me a little bit. I don't think 1.4's are the norm but he also has cooled off mightily since the start of the season. Those 25's, 27's, and 30's have turned into 11's, 12's, 6's. He's still the #2 TE in my league but I can't say everything's gravy on that front.

Wright has 16.1, 15.8, 15.8 in 3 of his last 4 games. And that's with playing 54% of the snaps. His snap count AND targets will surely rise after scoring TD's in back to back to weeks now.

He's available in my 12-man PPR league. I have Reed and Cameron. Would anyone drop Cameron for Wright ROS?

He's available in my 12-man PPR league. I have Reed and Cameron. Would anyone drop Cameron for Wright ROS?
That's a tough call. Cameron is still the #2 overall TE in my league. Yes, he's coming off his worst week & has been struggling lately but he's still #2 for a reason. Campbell has been playing pretty well the last couple weeks so I can't say I would drop him for Wright at this point. They are on bye this week so I would definitely wait to see how they come out next week & how heavily Campbell targets him.

Has Reed really been that good where you would consider dropping a top 3 TE for him?

I think I would be trying to trade Cameron on name potential for a WR and get Wright. I did that, trading off Witten, who was also underperforming at the time.

At this point, the answer to the question of the thread is, "Tim Wright is Mike Williams". However you quantify Mike Williams, Tim Wright has moved into his role. Notably, Wright started the last game and was listed by TB as one of two starting WR's with Crabtree starting as a TE. Underwood got a lot of snaps also, but clearly the two main receiving focal points are VJax and Wright.
Man, you got to love that.

Also: FYI MIA is No. 2 in FFPA to TE's (FFT). 6 TDs allowed on the year.

Man, you got to love that.

Also: FYI MIA is No. 2 in FFPA to TE's (FFT). 6 TDs allowed on the year.
I like Timmy Wright (esp with his WR/TE designation) and your point about MIA D is nice for this weekend.

But the bolded sentence above is misleading. Wright may have played the first snap, but Underwood was on the field more often. Snap % / Targets vs the Seahawks this past weekend -

VJax 99% / 4

Underwood 77% / 3

Crabtree 58% / 1

Wright 54% / 4

Maybe this will change going forward with Wright making some noise, but for now it seems like Underwood is playing the Mike Williams snaps.

Users who are viewing this thread