What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Oscars Do-Over: 82-83: Say Hello to My Little Alien Friend (1 Viewer)

Best Picture of 1983

• Scarface

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Risky Business

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The Right Stuff

Votes: 26 38.8%
  • The Big Chill

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Terms of Endearment

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Trading Places

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Tender Mercies

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
'83s with personal appreciation:

Bad Boys - More early Sean Penn attitude. 

The Big Chill - Kick ### soundtrack and a cool William Hurt. (I fight ya). Meg Tilly magic. 

Eddie and the Cruisers - An amazing original soundtrack (I believe). Great story too. 

National Lampoon's Vacation - Wally rules. 

The Outsiders - just look at this cast and remember that most were unknowns at the time. 

Starring

C. Thomas Howell

Matt Dillon

Ralph Macchio

Patrick Swayze

Rob Lowe

Diane Lane

Emilio Estevez

Tom Cruise

Leif Garrett
Leif F'n Garrett! 

I think I need to rewatch E.T. I saw it as a kid in the late 80s and didn't think much of it. I don't think I have seen it since. Also I might choose a film as Best Picture that currently has 0 votes  :shock:

I'm that lone little vote for Tender Mercies so far.  That year is rough.  Lots of good but not great.  I don't even think Tender Mercies was great, but when in doubt go with the fabulous Robert Duvall performance.

Gandhi a fairly easy vote for me in the other.  Plenty of Best Picture winners deserve backlash, but not that one.  Great year.  If you'd had Fitzcarraldo in there it might have garnered my vote.
I need to rewatch Gandhi- it didn't do much for me a decade ago. It felt just paint by numbers biopic that got it's esteem based on a great lead actor transformation and an important historical topic. Also, Fitzcarraldo is incredible and is certainly deserving of a Best Picture vote. 82 is so crowded relative to 83. 

I need to rewatch Gandhi- it didn't do much for me a decade ago. It felt just paint by numbers biopic that got it's esteem based on a great lead actor transformation and an important historical topic. Also, Fitzcarraldo is incredible and is certainly deserving of a Best Picture vote. 82 is so crowded relative to 83. 
I agree that Gandhi is a bit paint by the numbers (and a bit too hagiographic at times), but I don't see that as necessarily a bad thing.  Lots of moving scenes and elements, particularly around its depictions of the Salt March and the Jallianwala Bagh massacre.  And Ben Kingsley is great.  I don't think the story needed any kind of edge to it (UHF's Gandhi 2 aside). I think it holds up pretty well.

Still maintain that Year of Living Dangerously was 1982's best film. Koyaanisqatsi and My Favorite Year made great impression on me and MFY has been my sick-day movie ever since. But i voted Sophie's Choice off the list because of the greatest acting performance of all time contained in it from Streep (with majestic support from Kline) and it was superbly made - one of the best novel adaptations ever - except for bad casting of Stingo.

The Right Stuff is a slamdunk for '83 - just what i want to see when i go to the movies

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread