What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Oscars Do-Over: 82-83: Say Hello to My Little Alien Friend (1 Viewer)

Best Picture of 1983

• Scarface

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Risky Business

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The Right Stuff

Votes: 26 38.8%
  • The Big Chill

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Terms of Endearment

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Trading Places

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Tender Mercies

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

Ilov80s

Footballguy
Link back to the original thread that has all the 90s links as well as the basic premise.

82 was a really hard list to nail down as there are a ton of great films from that year. I left off Fast Times which I love but teen comedies tend to not get a lot of Oscar attention. I also wanted to include Fitzcarraldo, Fanny and Alexander and The Year of Living Dangerously but the Oscars don't typically nominate many films made outside of the US or UK although I think are all better than Sophie's Choice and Gandhi. I chose Fanny and Alexander as the one to represent our non- US/UK films that year. 83 was the opposite- not a very strong year and I had to stretch a bit with what got nominated. 

Vote and post to convince me which movies deserve the award. I will read, discuss and come back later to give a final verdict. 

E.T. slightly edged out Blade Runner for me

then went with Scarface.  Not sure it’s really best picture quality, but given those choices it’s one of the few I’ve actually seen

King of Comedy (the most under appreciated DeNiro turn ever)

Trading Places (knocks it out the park on every note)

Last edited by a moderator:
Rare that comedies get much award appreciation but Trading Places has an interesting social message that helps boost it imo
agreed - alot more goin' on up in that flick than Jamie Lee's ####

was verrrrry tough leaving off "Tender Mercies" - Duval was never what one would call a matinee idol, but i'll be damned if he isn't top 5 actor of my lifetime. 

Voted for The Right Stuff.  It's an epic that works on every level.

I meant to vote for ET but I think I clicked Tootsie instead  :bag:   Diner is probably my favorite film of that year but it's not the type of movie that Oscar rewards.

'82 is obviously E.T. for me.

83 is tougher. My favorites (Christine, A Christmas Story, ROTJ) aren't really Best Picture fodder.

Edit: Wait. The answer is obviously The Man With Two Brains.

ooooooh, boy - THE THING for '82 - would be my tops

Star 80 would get some serious '83 consideration 

:popcorn:

ooooooh, boy - THE THING for '82 - would be my tops

Star 80 would get some serious '83 consideration 

:popcorn:
Yeah, that's probably an oversight on my end. 82 was so loaded, I missed maybe an obvious one? My only defense is the movie was a flop at the time, there were already 2 sci-fi noms and Carpenter never was taken seriously...but yeah my bad

82 might be one of the stronger years. I also couldn't include Missing, Return of the Jedi, My Favorite Year, Wrath of Khan (I think that is a good one?), 48 Hours, An Office and a Gentleman...

Yeah, that's probably an oversight on my end. 82 was so loaded, I missed maybe an obvious one? My only defense is the movie was a flop at the time, there were already 2 sci-fi noms and Carpenter never was taken seriously...but yeah my bad
useless OTB nugget of the day: my all-time fave "Glengarry" was released a decade later ('92) ... between the two of 'em - 3+ hours of intense film making, there's maybe 7 seconds of female screen time (coat check at the Chinese jernt in "Glen") 

:unsure:

NTTAWWT

useless OTB nugget of the day: my all-time fave "Glengarry" was released a decade later ('92) ... between the two of 'em - 3+ hours of intense film making, there's maybe 7 seconds of female screen time (coat check at the Chinese jernt in "Glen") 

:unsure:

NTTAWWT
I do love GGR and tying back into the Pacino thread, it was a disaster that Lemmon and Denzel lost to Pacino for Best Actor.

Also, there are some really great movies with no women. Not many without men though. I can only think of 1.

I do love GGR and tying back into the Pacino thread, it was a disaster that Lemmon and Denzel lost to Pacino for Best Actor.

Also, there are some really great movies with no women. Not many without men though. I can only think of 1.
i can think of 10s of thousands, but, yeah ... prolly not the types one would call "Oscar Fodder"

82 might be one of the stronger years. I also couldn't include Missing, Return of the Jedi, My Favorite Year, Wrath of Khan (I think that is a good one?), 48 Hours, An Office and a Gentleman...
ROTJ is 1983, but agree with '82 being pretty strong.  We did that year for the polls last year, and I remember that being a tough year to rank.

I expect the 2 actual winners:  Gandhi and Terms of Endearment to get trounced
I liked both movies and I can understand why they won. But if I were going to pick the best "non pop culture" movies from those years, I'd go with "Sophie's Choice" and "The Right Stuff".

I liked both movies and I can understand why they won. But if I were going to pick the best "non pop culture" movies from those years, I'd go with "Sophie's Choice" and "The Right Stuff".
Gandhi is the one that surprises me honestly. 83 was a soft year so it was wide open but was Gandhi in 82?

Back in high school I had a sociology class and our teacher was getting pretty senile.  Anyway he likes to show a lot of movies for learning aides (Sybil for psychology for example) and for sociology it was Ghandi

this was late 90’s so he still used VHS, and of course you couldn’t complete a full movie in 60 minutes, and he’d have multiple sessions of his class, so he’d spend the first 10 minutes of class fast forward and rewinding to the part we left off at, but I’m pretty sure he had no clue and would finally just settle on some random part of the movie and we’d finally agree that was right because nobody really took that class seriously.  I’d usually take naps or stare at hot girls butts

All said and done I think it literally took a month to finish Ghandi

:blackdot: never heard of Star 80 but it looks interesting
my Eric Roberts holy triumvirate:  "King of the Gypsies", "Star 80", "Pope of Greenwich Village" ... i defy anyone to watch them and tell me you wouldn't have predicted huge things outta that (then) kid.  i mean huge. 

anyway, definitely check it out, Joe - it's well worth the time  :thumbup:

I watched The Verdict again Saturday and it’s such a great movie. Criminally forgotten at this point.

my Eric Roberts holy triumvirate:  "King of the Gypsies", "Star 80", "Pope of Greenwich Village" ... i defy anyone to watch them and tell me you wouldn't have predicted huge things outta that (then) kid.  i mean huge. 

Mickey Rourke's career took some weird turns too after flying high in the 80s.

I'm that lone little vote for Tender Mercies so far.  That year is rough.  Lots of good but not great.  I don't even think Tender Mercies was great, but when in doubt go with the fabulous Robert Duvall performance.

Gandhi a fairly easy vote for me in the other.  Plenty of Best Picture winners deserve backlash, but not that one.  Great year.  If you'd had Fitzcarraldo in there it might have garnered my vote.

Man of Constant Sorrow said:
I voted Gandhi & Trading Places. 

I will make my comments later. 
Gandhi - I am a huge fan of Lawrence of Arabia also, and I love the broad epic perspective of pieces like this. 

However, I understand that both movies are not literally true in many ways. That really doesn't bother me because I still believe they convey a deeper figurative truth. 

I first saw Gandhi in '82 or' 83 - at a time when I was really questioning my faith of upbringing and looking at other faiths. 

I was extremely moved by the way the movie explored his view on faiths. The scene where he talks about his childhood experience of mixing Hindu and Islamic scripture is the first scene that comes to mind. 

guess no ####in Muppet movies were released that year
And that's a damn shame too. 

Trading Places - yeah, this is a pretty deep comedy. I remember hearing it compared to some great book, but I can't remember book. 

I think of things like Python's Grail & Life of Brian - not because the comedy is similar, but the larger message. 

And, the comedy hits it for me too. Great twist and fun to watch 

Ilov80s said:
Rare that comedies get much award appreciation but Trading Places has an interesting social message that helps boost it imo
This. And:

otb_lifer said:
Trading Places (knocks it out the park on every note)

otb_lifer said:

Last I saw Roberts he was playing a kindly neighbor in some crappy Lifetime movie. Very sad waste of talent.

Not a big role but his evil pimp/husband in this rather odd movie lit up the screen.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/arts/culture-magazines/fast-sofa

Looks like I picked the chalk; E.T/Right Stuff...

Still love Tootsie though, but it’s fairly dated now.  Terms of Endearment still plays well for me and 1983 was a tougher call for me.  But E.T is a hands down winner.

Here are some '82s that resonate with me. 

Quest for Fire - no real dialogue that I can recall, but lots of communication and other cool stuff. I don't think the pro anthropologists liked it much, but I sure do. 

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

C' mon. Mr. Hand! , Spicoli red bikini. Lotsa cultural touch stones for me. Led Zep. Rat. Gah - Great flick. 

Pink Floyd – The Wall

Oh yeah. I'd say more but it's kind of early in the day. Maybe more later. 

😱

Users who are viewing this thread