What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** Washington, DC thread (1 Viewer)

Ted's Bulletin to the south on Barrack's Row (row of restaurants and shops on 8th St just south of Eastern Market).  There's other great stuff on Barracks Row too, including acclaimed restaurants Pineapple and Pearls and Rose's Luxury, but if you've got kids with you I doubt they'd want to deal with that sort of trendy destination dining.  Ted's Bulletin is right in the teenager wheelhouse, though, and is still decent food. Same goes for Matchbox also on Barrack's Row.

Note: my oldest kid is 5 so I have no idea what teenagers actually like, I might be totally wrong about the destination spots.
I was running down a few potential restaurants last night...

Me: "So there's this cool-looking place whose signature item is tomato soup and grilled cheese"
15-year-old: (doesn't look up from phone)
Wife: "Oooh.  What's it called?"
Me: "Ted's Bulletin.  Has a couple locations near places we're going, one over by Supreme Court and Library of Congress."
Wife: (looking at menu on her laptop) "Can we go on one of the days they have the 'Cinnamon Roll As Big As Ya Head'?"  

I've never had this but Ted's is good stuff. Quite the calorie bomb but I assume you all will be walking a lot and will have a chance to burn off a few cals.
Yeah we're going to walk the Mall when we can.  We will spring for bus passes, but we're used to several miles of walking on vacation days.  We will walk to Arlington National Cemetery from the hotel one morning - the walk through the Mall, past Lincoln Memorial, across the bridge, through the park and to the Cemetery looks beautiful.

One thing about the DC sports scene we can be proud of:

Jeff Passan‏Verified account @JeffPassan

Nothing reinforces that The Washington Post has the best newspaper sports section in America by a mile quite like a Nationals playoff loss.
They help me cope on days like today, strangely enough.  It's therapeutic to read the misery captured so well. This Post article from three years ago is still the gold standard, though.

Greetings from Foggy Bottom,

Because of the timing of our flight, we didn’t have breakfast.  So a quick cab ride out to Stachowski’s got us back up to speed.  I will have pleasant dreams about that pastrami.  

By then we could get checked in to the hotel, then headed down to the Mall.  American History Museum was overshadowed by an amateur hip-hop exhibition in the main room that was so loud we couldn’t hear security’s instructions, plus a series of college science experiments that blocked some of the exhibits.  That was a short stay.

The Holocaust Museum... I am a wiser person after visiting it, and I hope it makes me a better person.    That was an experience I won’t forget for quite some time.  There was a lot about the early phases of Hitler’s plans I did not know.  

Whoever here recommended Sichuan Pavilion, thank you.  It was delicious and an excellent fit for causally dressed folks waking in an going to get seated on a Saturday night.  

The girls wanted to see the Mayflower Hotel (if you follow Seth Abramson on Twitter, you understand why) so we walked there after dinner.  We wandered in and snapped a few photos until we got stink eyes from staff and showed ourselves out.

Gonna try to hit Air and Space Museum at rope drop tomorrow morning, then either National Gallery Of Art or National Portrait Gallery in the afternoon.  Then we have a nighttime monuments tour tomorrow night.

Because of the timing of our flight, we didn’t have breakfast.  So a quick cab ride out to Stachowski’s got us back up to speed.  I will have pleasant dreams about that pastrami.  

By then we could get checked in to the hotel, then headed down to the Mall.  American History Museum was overshadowed by an amateur hip-hop exhibition in the main room that was so loud we couldn’t hear security’s instructions, plus a series of college science experiments that blocked some of the exhibits.  That was a short stay.

The Holocaust Museum... I am a wiser person after visiting it, and I hope it makes me a better person.    That was an experience I won’t forget for quite some time.  There was a lot about the early phases of Hitler’s plans I did not know.  

Whoever here recommended Sichuan Pavilion, thank you.  It was delicious and an excellent fit for causally dressed folks waking in an going to get seated on a Saturday night.  

The girls wanted to see the Mayflower Hotel (if you follow Seth Abramson on Twitter, you understand why) so we walked there after dinner.  We wandered in and snapped a few photos until we got stink eyes from staff and showed ourselves out.

Gonna try to hit Air and Space Museum at rope drop tomorrow morning, then either National Gallery Of Art or National Portrait Gallery in the afternoon.  Then we have a nighttime monuments tour tomorrow night.
Probably stupid to mention, but the fact that the Smithsonian Museums are free is beautiful. I throw the NGA and the NPG in that bunch even tho they aren't Smithsonian. With the museums being free you can walk in and out of them all you want. This was wonderful when I was a student at GW (not far from where you are staying tonite) all those years ago.

Stachowski's!!! They know me there and I love a thousand miles away. 

Edit: what does that guy say about the Mayflower? I've stayed there a few times. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably stupid to mention, but the fact that the Smithsonian Museums are free is beautiful. I throw the NGA and the NPG in that bunch even tho they aren't Smithsonian. With the museums being free you can walk in and out of them all you want. This was wonderful when I was a student at GW (not far from where you are staying tonite) all those years ago.
I was impressed to see how much is free along the National Mall.  And not in a “getting through the door is free, but seeing the stuff we’re famous for is ‘special exhibition’ at $20 per person” kind of way we encountered in London a lot.

All the tours we booked through our Congressman’s office (White House, Capitol, Supreme Court, Library Of Congress, Kennedy Center) are free, and they scheduled our Kennedy Center tour so we could stay for the free 6:00 show.  And by coincidence it’s a show we would seek out, a ukulele virtuoso my daughter (who plays uke) is a big fan of.

Yeah, as we walked back to our hotel we saw a lot of GW students heading out.  Oh the days when life began at 9:00 pm on Saturday night.  

Stachowski's!!! They know me there and I love a thousand miles away. 

Edit: what does that guy say about the Mayflower? I've stayed there a few times. 
We got a pastrami and a roast beef dip for the three of us to share.  They weren’t busy when we got there so they were fine with us clearing a table and eating there.  Even with travel and missing breakfast we couldn’t finish our sandwiches, but oh baby were they delightful.  I’m used to pastrami shaved thin, so I was stunned those thick slices just melted in the mouth.  

Re: Mayflower: there was a suspicious gathering of characters under suspicious circumstances at the Mayflower in April 2016 that is probably best discussed in a certain subforum.  

Greetings From Foggy Bottom,

Another delightful day in DC.  

Got to Air & Space at rope drop, so we were able to get around to what we wanted to see in first couple hours the joint was open.  A younger version of the kid (or me) could have easily made it an all-day affair, but we see a lot of IMAX movies back home and didn’t feel the need to try VR simulators, so we cut that stuff from the program and got a pizza instead.  There probably aren’t many pizza parlors in DC that have a pizza named after my hometown on the menu, but we found one.  (Pi Pizza started in STL; a lot of the specialty pies are named after neighborhoods in STL and nearby towns)

Loved the National Portrait Gallery.  Apparently if you go there when it’s not summer and when the Redskins are playing there’s plenty of room to see what you want and spent a little extra time on pieces that move you.  

So we were way ahead of schedule, so we decided to roll the dice on the National Archives not being busy on a school-year Sunday while the Skins are playing.  Yep.  Didn’t give the place a full look (we have a reservation later in the week if we want to go back) but he walked right in to the Rotunda for the Declaration Of Independence and Bill Of Rights.  There’s a copy of the Declaration made from an engraving of the original down the hall from the Rotunda that is much easier to read and appreciate.  The originals have faded quite a bit.

Best Moment with A Security Agent I’ve Had in 2017: security paused the line at the Archives to explain their security and photography policy, what needed to come out of pockets and what could stay.  That investment paid off as the line flew after restarting. He quizzed the woman in front of us: “What can you take pictures of in the National Archives?”  (“Nothing?”)  “That’s right!  No photography inside.  Nicolas Cage stole all the real #### in there anyways.”

Didn’t think we were dressed up enough for Rasika, so he had dinner at Grand Trunk instead.  Sure it wasn’t as good as Rasika, but we enjoyed it and had a great time.  Those Tandoori Chicken Naan Roll wraps must fly out the door for weekday on-the-go lunches.  

Thanks again to the thread for suggesting seeing the monuments at night.  Oh wow was this fantastic.  We booked a tour company that advertised small group tours in electric carts.  Yep. We had a driver/tour guide, five passengers including the three of us, and spent two hours hitting up the monuments in a souped-up open-Air electric cart that topped out at about 25 MPH.  It was great.  We could tell the tour guide (24-25 year old woman, grad student at GWU, during side conversation might have convinced my daughter to apply to GW; we don’t need to mention to my wife again that the guide looked kind like Gal Gadot) to hold at spots a little longer so we could get photos, no need for headphones or a PA system to hear the tour guide, never felt cramped or rushed, and adjusted the tour route so we could finish a mile closer to our hotel than originally scheduled.  Covered a lot of ground, got some great photos (none of the tour guide; sorry), and got a ton of praise from my wife and daughter for finding a small-group tour.  

Capitol and Kennedy Center tomorrow.  Thanks again to everyone for their help.  

Bruce Dickinson said:
 We could tell the tour guide (24-25 year old woman, grad student at GWU, during side conversation might have convinced my daughter to apply to GW; we don’t need to mention to my wife again that the guide looked kind like Gal Gadot) to hold at spots a little longer so we could get photos, no need for headphones or a PA system to hear the tour guide, never felt cramped or rushed, and adjusted the tour route so we could finish a mile closer to our hotel than originally scheduled.  
I think you mentioned your daughter having an interest in renewable energy when you were planning your trip.  GW does have a Solar Institute that might be up her alley.

And I'm an alum and GW hoops season ticket holder.  So, if you time a campus visit at some later date with a basketball game, feel free to reach out.

Bruce Dickinson said:
There probably aren’t many pizza parlors in DC that have a pizza named after my hometown on the menu, but we found one.  (Pi Pizza started in STL; a lot of the specialty pies are named after neighborhoods in STL and nearby towns)
Didn't know you were from that area. Pi is a good spot I always make sure to hit ever since my wife dragged me there as a treat for making her walk around the mall all day :lol:  Their beer glasses have made good gifts for nerdy friends.

Glad y'all enjoyed Sichuan Pavillion. 

I think you mentioned your daughter having an interest in renewable energy when you were planning your trip.  GW does have a Solar Institute that might be up her alley.

And I'm an alum and GW hoops season ticket holder.  So, if you time a campus visit at some later date with a basketball game, feel free to reach out.
My daughter is in a “Green Tech Academy” high school program where her electives and some of her core courses highlight the science, economics, and politics of renewable energy.  She wants to keep a door open to law and politics, but knows she would benefit from knowing the science of renewable energy, and IMO any steps taken to understand better how scientists think and approach a problem has benefits in and out of the classroom.

Given all that, I’d say GW’s academics and geographic location make it a school we should look at seriously.  Part of me thinks it will be difficult to send my baby girl so far away, but there’s another part that would be proud to send her off to adventure in the big city.

So we dug the Capitol so much we stayed there all day.  

Got to sleep in a little before heading over to Rayburn to our Congressman’s office.  I don’t agree with all the decisions my Congressman makes, but whoever hires his staff does a great job, both his district office and in DC.  He was actually back in the home district today so didn’t get to meet him, but saw his office and got to go underground to the Capitol and tour the building.  

We had planned to check out the Kennedy Center, but when the kid heard the Senate would gavel in late afternoon she really wanted to see it in person.  So after our guided tour we ate at a Capitol cafeteria, self-guided the grounds, then headed up to get a front spot in line for the Senate Gallery.  

(If a news story breaks out about someone taking a knee up in the Senate Gallery during the Pledge Of Allegiance today... it totally wasn’t me.  In fact, I was out of town when that #### happened.)

Nothing too earthshaking happened.  It was fun seeing the theatrics of some of the “Nay” votes when the Senators got called to the floor to vote on Newt Gingrich’s wife nominated to be Ambassador to the Vatican.  Cory Booker took two steps into the floor, made a big thumb-down gesture Gladiator-style, and walked back out.  Another Senator (didn’t recognize him) gave a big smackdown gesture, shrugged his shoulders, and left.  (Gingrich was confirmed by a wide margin)

For the kid, the big moment came right before the end of the session, when Senator Whitehouse gave a moving speech about climate change, what we know about it, what we haven’t done about it, and ways we can change our laws to change corporate behavior through economic incentives.  For many this speech meant nothing.  It probably won’t change the world.  But it meant a lot to my kid to hear a speech like that on her first visit to the Senate Gallery.

After the Senate adjourned, we were hungry and not feeling adventurous, so we cabbed it to Nando’s for some chicken and chips, a casual enough place to be loud and comfortable enough to us to be ourselves.  Was a slight bummer the location we went to didn’t have Wing Roulette on the menu (ten wings seasoned at five different spice levels with no obvious indicators of what is mild and what is Xtra Hot) but we still had a great time.

Zoo tomorrow morning, then Kennedy Center and Georgetown.  Gonna take a day off the Mall before White House and Supreme Court tours on Wednesday.

My daughter is in a “Green Tech Academy” high school program where her electives and some of her core courses highlight the science, economics, and politics of renewable energy.  She wants to keep a door open to law and politics, but knows she would benefit from knowing the science of renewable energy, and IMO any steps taken to understand better how scientists think and approach a problem has benefits in and out of the classroom.

Given all that, I’d say GW’s academics and geographic location make it a school we should look at seriously.  Part of me thinks it will be difficult to send my baby girl so far away, but there’s another part that would be proud to send her off to adventure in the big city.
I loved GW when I was there from 88-92. I came down here from Boston, not sure where you are, but I loved it. Lots of travel at breaks and holidays, but that was fun too!

Let us know if you want/need more info about GW.

I was a political science major at GW before attending elsewhere for law school. Definitely a great program for that too. 

As Ected said, would be happy to answer questions about GW when it comes to that.

@Bruce Dickinson and FYI for others... 

a great way to enjoy the Mayflower is at their well known bar, EMMITT's... good DC vibe power player mixed with tourist bar and restaurant.  Expect hotel bar type prices though it's not outrageous, but get a couple sodas, a coupe adult bevs and an appetiser and enjoy sitting where Flynn and Manafort were making deals. Or where Elliot Spitzer wined and dined before making "other types" of deals. 

Slowed the pace a bit yesterday.  Slept in a little, then took a Via up to the zoo (Via is like Uber, but going cheap in an effort to get into the DC market).  When it’s 50 degrees on a school day it’s not busy at the zoo.  So we got some good views and photos of the pandas and our other favorites at our own pace.  

Metroed back to Farragut North, and on our way to Farragut West stopped off at Wicked Waffle.  Delicious.

then hit up Watergate and Kennedy Center.  Just a couole minutes at Watergate to take photos, then a full guided tour of Kennedy Center.  Enjoyed Kennedy Center a lot - it’s a beautiful facility and the views from the deck are awesome.

White House Tour up next.

Since last update, we toured the White House, Supreme Court, And Library Of Congress.  Also visited the National Gallery Of Art and Newseum.  

Best story from a Secret Service member working the White House (paraphrasing): “I’d been working here 2-3 months... the code came through that Mrs. Obama was coming by my post.  So I got into my best attentive stance just like I’d practiced in the mirror [demonstrates stance] as she came in the the room.  She walked one step past me, and turned to me, and [throws arms forward] yells ‘BOO!’  I jumped more than I wanted to.  Then she shook my hand, smiled at me, and went on.  I couldn’t wait to get home and tell my 10-year-old daughter, “you’ll never guess who said ‘BOO!’ to me today!”

Best Reminder That 4 Is A Bit Too Young To Appreciate Touring The White House: between the first and second security checkpoints before entering the White House Tour, I saw a 4-year-old ask her father, “Can we go swimming?” 

I recommend the White House Tour.  Sure you don’t see as much as you used to back in the day, and the two security checkpoints seem like unnecessary theater given how much information you have to provide to apply for a Tour Boarding Pass, but it’s one of the best senses of history we’ve had all week.  

The Supreme Court Building is beautiful and it was best getting to sit in the courtroom, but the lecture didn’t teach us much we didn’t already know.  (In our docent’s defense, he set up outside the courtroom afterwards and fielded questions; had that Q&A been our program I would have liked it a lot more).  Would love to come back and watch oral arguments sometime; our trip didn’t line up with any.  

Wow, The Library Of Congress is beautiful and ornate.  Our docent explained it was purposely ornate to show off the country’s wealth at the time, using aluminum on the ceilings was a big wealth-signaling behavior of the time.  Not sure how much added value came from  scheduling the tour through our Congressman’s Office, though it was nice having some extra time viewing the Reading Room.  

Of the other exhibits... it was neat seeing the project of trying to rebuilding the the Jefferson collection of 6,000 or so books that started Library Of Congress 2.0, and interesting to learn it happened because Jefferson was having cash flow problems and needed to sell something of value to buyer willing to pay for it.

I think my favorite architecture I’ve seen this week is the East Building Of The National Gallery Of Art.  Well done, Mr. Pei.  If you’re not really into art but feel like you need to go to the National Gallery Of Art... check out the Calder floor in the East Building, the Impressionists Gallery in the West Building, borrow a Highlights map to see the Da Vinci and a Rembrandt, and take the underground concourse connecting the buildings.    

LOVED the Newseum and if I lived near DC I would be a Member. 

We’ve been sticking with casual bites.  Dug District Taco, would likely be a regular if I lived near one.  Was initially resistant to the “savory donut” concept at Astro Donuts and Fried Chicken, but the Fried Chicken on a savory donut with hot sauce was an outstanding street slider.  And our experience at Daikaya Ramen was outstanding.  The house there seems crowded, but there’s a table in the back isolated from the rest of the place.  We got seated there (I guess tourists from Kansas are too uncool to display to passersby) but it worked out great because we weren’t rushed and it had a private dining feel.  And oh were those ramens delicious.  I wasn’t bold enough to have the optional “flavor bomb” dropped in mine like the kid was, but I’m normally not a noodle soup kinda guy and I thought it was delicious.

Arlington National Cemetery tomorrow morning.  Then depending on our mood, either daytime visits of memorials and monuments we’ve only really seen at night, or taking the Metro down to Alexandria for some shopping, then taking a water taxi back up to DC.

Since last update, we toured the White House, Supreme Court, And Library Of Congress.  Also visited the National Gallery Of Art and Newseum.  

Best story from a Secret Service member working the White House (paraphrasing): “I’d been working here 2-3 months... the code came through that Mrs. Obama was coming by my post.  So I got into my best attentive stance just like I’d practiced in the mirror [demonstrates stance] as she came in the the room.  She walked one step past me, and turned to me, and [throws arms forward] yells ‘BOO!’  I jumped more than I wanted to.  Then she shook my hand, smiled at me, and went on.  I couldn’t wait to get home and tell my 10-year-old daughter, “you’ll never guess who said ‘BOO!’ to me today!”

Best Reminder That 4 Is A Bit Too Young To Appreciate Touring The White House: between the first and second security checkpoints before entering the White House Tour, I saw a 4-year-old ask her father, “Can we go swimming?” 

I recommend the White House Tour.  Sure you don’t see as much as you used to back in the day, and the two security checkpoints seem like unnecessary theater given how much information you have to provide to apply for a Tour Boarding Pass, but it’s one of the best senses of history we’ve had all week.  

The Supreme Court Building is beautiful and it was best getting to sit in the courtroom, but the lecture didn’t teach us much we didn’t already know.  (In our docent’s defense, he set up outside the courtroom afterwards and fielded questions; had that Q&A been our program I would have liked it a lot more).  Would love to come back and watch oral arguments sometime; our trip didn’t line up with any.  

Wow, The Library Of Congress is beautiful and ornate.  Our docent explained it was purposely ornate to show off the country’s wealth at the time, using aluminum on the ceilings was a big wealth-signaling behavior of the time.  Not sure how much added value came from  scheduling the tour through our Congressman’s Office, though it was nice having some extra time viewing the Reading Room.  

Of the other exhibits... it was neat seeing the project of trying to rebuilding the the Jefferson collection of 6,000 or so books that started Library Of Congress 2.0, and interesting to learn it happened because Jefferson was having cash flow problems and needed to sell something of value to buyer willing to pay for it.

I think my favorite architecture I’ve seen this week is the East Building Of The National Gallery Of Art.  Well done, Mr. Pei.  If you’re not really into art but feel like you need to go to the National Gallery Of Art... check out the Calder floor in the East Building, the Impressionists Gallery in the West Building, borrow a Highlights map to see the Da Vinci and a Rembrandt, and take the underground concourse connecting the buildings.    

LOVED the Newseum and if I lived near DC I would be a Member. 

We’ve been sticking with casual bites.  Dug District Taco, would likely be a regular if I lived near one.  Was initially resistant to the “savory donut” concept at Astro Donuts and Fried Chicken, but the Fried Chicken on a savory donut with hot sauce was an outstanding street slider.  And our experience at Daikaya Ramen was outstanding.  The house there seems crowded, but there’s a table in the back isolated from the rest of the place.  We got seated there (I guess tourists from Kansas are too uncool to display to passersby) but it worked out great because we weren’t rushed and it had a private dining feel.  And oh were those ramens delicious.  I wasn’t bold enough to have the optional “flavor bomb” dropped in mine like the kid was, but I’m normally not a noodle soup kinda guy and I thought it was delicious.

Arlington National Cemetery tomorrow morning.  Then depending on our mood, either daytime visits of memorials and monuments we’ve only really seen at night, or taking the Metro down to Alexandria for some shopping, then taking a water taxi back up to DC.
Glad to hear you are having such good times. Friend of mine from HS is a lawyer at the SC, could you imagine going to work in that every day!

Tomorrow sounds like another great day weather-wise, along with the rest of the weekend. Great for outdoor stuff!!!

Have fun!!

Mr. Ected said:
Glad to hear you are having such good times. Friend of mine from HS is a lawyer at the SC, could you imagine going to work in that every day!

Tomorrow sounds like another great day weather-wise, along with the rest of the weekend. Great for outdoor stuff!!!

Have fun!!
Given all the complimentary “wet umbrella bags” stations we’ve seen at building entrances, I think it’s fair to say we’ve been spoiled with good weather all week.

Bruce Dickinson said:
Monuments are certainly the more touristy thing to do, but as one of the resident Alexandrians here... lots of good restaurants for lunch/dinner if you end up in Alexandria.  Some interesting historical attraction-type museums too, although off the typical tourist path -- the Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary is pretty cool (apothecary from around 1800 to 1930; it was turned into a museum right after closing, so it's basically still in its 1930 condition).  Carlyle House is another interesting one (mansion of John Carlyle who was a pre-Revolutionary merchant; site was home to a Civil War hospital that was most recently the setting for the PBS show "Mercy Street," although show was filmed elsewhere).

One last stroll through Constitution Gardens before heading to the airport.  

Two guys with Chicago accents are complaining about the beer selection at the park-operated concession stand.

It’s 10:00 am.

Bruce Dickinson said:
One last stroll through Constitution Gardens before heading to the airport.  

Two guys with Chicago accents are complaining about the beer selection at the park-operated concession stand.

It’s 10:00 am.
I don't know your route to the airport, but the Arlington Memorial Bridge has been shut down this morning due to a pedestrian death.

Anyway, safe travels home to you & yours. It sounds like you had a blast.

How do you think Perry Ellis will do for the Jayhawks this year?

I don't know your route to the airport, but the Arlington Memorial Bridge has been shut down this morning due to a pedestrian death.

Anyway, safe travels home to you & yours. It sounds like you had a blast.

How do you think Perry Ellis will do for the Jayhawks this year?
Fortunately our cabbie was aware of the situation and took a different bridge to Reagan.  

At the airport gate now.  I miss the dog.  Looking forward to seeing her tonight.  

LOL.  The Jayhawks are hoping freshman big Billy Preston can fill some of Ellis’s shoes.  Don’t know what sort of rebounder Preston will be at this level, but the team will definitely be stronger at keyboards this season.  

Monuments are certainly the more touristy thing to do, but as one of the resident Alexandrians here... lots of good restaurants for lunch/dinner if you end up in Alexandria.  Some interesting historical attraction-type museums too, although off the typical tourist path -- the Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary is pretty cool (apothecary from around 1800 to 1930; it was turned into a museum right after closing, so it's basically still in its 1930 condition).  Carlyle House is another interesting one (mansion of John Carlyle who was a pre-Revolutionary merchant; site was home to a Civil War hospital that was most recently the setting for the PBS show "Mercy Street," although show was filmed elsewhere).
We mainly just cruised King Street.  Tons of charm.  No schedule; if a storefront looked interesting, we walked in and checked it out.  Really relaxing, fun meeting a few shop owners/managers.

Also spent some time at that old torpedo factory that is now art studios.  There’s a big chalkboard wall there; we contributed some lettering and abstract art. 

The timing for a water taxi back to DC didn’t work out well, so we took the Trolley back to the Metro station and took the train back into the city.  

Fortunately our cabbie was aware of the situation and took a different bridge to Reagan.  

At the airport gate now.  I miss the dog.  Looking forward to seeing her tonight.  

LOL.  The Jayhawks are hoping freshman big Billy Preston can fill some of Ellis’s shoes.  Don’t know what sort of rebounder Preston will be at this level, but the team will definitely be stronger at keyboards this season.  
I know you have a pretty extensive knowledge of hoops history, so you probably know this already: Maryland had a player in the '80s - Keith Gatlin - who I think played his last game there 6 years after playing his first. He was on the team when Lenny Bias was there and I think he was still there when Gary came aboard to coach. He was a decent player - couldn't shoot a lick, though. He certainly was no Robbie Hummel, who played for 42 years.

I know you have a pretty extensive knowledge of hoops history, so you probably know this already: Maryland had a player in the '80s - Keith Gatlin - who I think played his last game there 6 years after playing his first. He was on the team when Lenny Bias was there and I think he was still there when Gary came aboard to coach. He was a decent player - couldn't shoot a lick, though. He certainly was no Robbie Hummel, who played for 42 years.
I certainly remember Gatlin.  My dad was an early adopter of ESPN, so we caught a lot of ACC and Big East Basketball in the 1980s.  I remember watching live that NC State game where Whittenburg shot the lights out in the first half and broke his foot in the second.  (A major plot point of “Survive And Advance”)

My knowledge of USA east coast geography was pretty good for a flyover country kid thanks to that old ACC logo that had a map of the ACC states in the background.  

If you liked the “Baltimore Boys” documentary about the Dunbar Poets and Bob Wade on ESPN recently, I recommend one of the sources for the doc, “The Boys Of Dunbar” by Alejandro Danois.  Danois was a producer and contributor to Baltimore Boys (he’s the talking head in the stylish hat who sat at center Court at Dunbar).  The book is a bit more focused: it’s a chronology of the first season Muggsy, Wingate, Reggie Williams, and Reggie Lewis played together at Dunbar.

Whittenburg was the best High School player I ever saw play live and I saw a lot of the great ones in that time: from Adrian Dantley to those Dunbar guys you mention, Quentin Dailey, Johnny Dawkins, Tom Sluby, Kenny Carr, Dutch Morely, Sid Lowe, Thurl Bailey, Adrian and Charles Branch, Applejack Solomon. There was a dude who played at Mackin, DC named Cecil Rucker who was the most frightening player I'd seen in my 16 years of living when we played him but he never went on to do anything as far as I can recall. 

Whitt was better, IMO, than all of them.

If he was even 5'10", I'll kiss your ###, but he could leap out of the gym. And he could shoot. And defend. Most folks only know him post-leg-wreck at NCSU when he had turned himself into a kind of heady-if-pudgy player. I was on the court when I saw him beat Al King and Gene Banks (both established college all-stars and both almost a foot taller than him) in a dunk contest at one of Morgan Wooten's summer camps while he was still at DeMatha.

I have not seen the Baltimore Boys doc. Been meaning to, but failing memory and all. Thanks for the reminder!

On Saturday night bought pot from two guys on the street doing the whole "we're not selling it, we're giving it to you free for a donation" shtick.  I'm generally skeptical of that whole racket so usually I just stick to my normal dealer but I was running low and these guys were right outside the bar I was leaving, so I figured I would give it a try.

Holy crap was it good.  Like really really good.  D.C. RULES!

On Saturday night bought pot from two guys on the street doing the whole "we're not selling it, we're giving it to you free for a donation" shtick.  I'm generally skeptical of that whole racket so usually I just stick to my normal dealer but I was running low and these guys were right outside the bar I was leaving, so I figured I would give it a try.

Holy crap was it good.  Like really really good.  D.C. RULES!
What bar / area were you in?

Hey D.C. Guys, is the Wednesday before thanksgiving a pretty good night to go out? I'll be staying at the Holiday Inn Washington-capitol that night and thanksgiving night. Is that area safe to walk around at night? That Seth Rich stuff kind of scares me a little. 

Hey D.C. Guys, is the Wednesday before thanksgiving a pretty good night to go out? I'll be staying at the Holiday Inn Washington-capitol that night and thanksgiving night. Is that area safe to walk around at night? That Seth Rich stuff kind of scares me a little. 
It's fine but you should take a cab to wherever you're going simply because that's a weird area of town.  It's federal office buildings, museums and hotels in every direction.  You could walk down to the new SW Waterfront complex The Wharf, or you could really hoof it over to the Capitol Hill bars, but you're better off spending a couple bucks to get a cab to one of those spots, or better yet to a more lively neighborhood.  Once you get there the bars should be pretty crowded, that was always a good night to go out when I was younger.  Lots of people going out to meet up with their old high school friends.

It's fine but you should take a cab to wherever you're going simply because that's a weird area of town.  It's federal office buildings, museums and hotels in every direction.  You could walk down to the new SW Waterfront complex The Wharf, or you could really hoof it over to the Capitol Hill bars, but you're better off spending a couple bucks to get a cab to one of those spots, or better yet to a more lively neighborhood.  Once you get there the bars should be pretty crowded, that was always a good night to go out when I was younger.  Lots of people going out to meet up with their old high school friends.
Hey Tobias will the Juice guys deliver to a hotel you think? 

Going to see The Book of Mormon this weekend at the Kennedy Center. Any suggestions for a fairly quick meal in the Watergate-Foggy Bottom area? On the earlier side, since show starts at 7.

TIA!

I’m sitting in my car 14th Street I guess downtown dc waiting on some juice. Hope these guys come through! 

So, what is the best way to get to DCA with a kid when I don’t need the car seat at the destination? Flight is very early, and I don’t think I can count on Uber Family at the time.

The cabs that I’ve called don’t seem to have car seats available.

Wife has rejected holding kid in the lap for the 10 minute ride. She also does not like the idea of parking there, for whatever reason. 

Maybe a car service? It seems pricey for the short trip, but I’m running out of ideas.

So, what is the best way to get to DCA with a kid when I don’t need the car seat at the destination? Flight is very early, and I don’t think I can count on Uber Family at the time.

Wife has rejected holding kid in the lap for the 10 minute ride. She also does not like the idea of parking there, for whatever reason. 

Maybe a car service? It seems pricey for the short trip, but I’m running out of ideas.
What if you wrapped the kid up in a whole roll of bubble wrap?  It'll also keep the kid entertained while waiting for the plane.

Ask a friend to take you. 

Or ask a friend to pick your car up later that day.

Isn’t there a zipcar type service now that doesn’t require you to return it to the origin?

I guess uber and lyft don’t allow for a scheduled service so you can make sure you have an uber family car available at that time?

Third straight day of closed schools in Fairfax County. We had 1/2 an inch of snow last Thursday and it might do something this afternoon. 

Third straight day of closed schools in Fairfax County. We had 1/2 an inch of snow last Thursday and it might do something this afternoon. 
I could somewhat understand Thursday, but I felt like it really only needed a delayed opening.  The Friday closures/delays were a bit weird to me.

It seems like a lot are announcing early closures today (Alexandria announced they were doing that).

I could somewhat understand Thursday, but I felt like it really only needed a delayed opening.  The Friday closures/delays were a bit weird to me.

It seems like a lot are announcing early closures today (Alexandria announced they were doing that).
Friday was due to wind chills.

Users who are viewing this thread