What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** Washington, DC thread (2 Viewers)

Anyone been to Massenutten? Going there next week with kids as newbie skiers! I used to ski a lot, up in NE, haven't been in years (decades!).

Anyone been to Massenutten? Going there next week with kids as newbie skiers! I used to ski a lot, up in NE, haven't been in years (decades!).
I've been but not in a long time. As with most of the "local" ski resorts, it should be good for kids as new skiers since you're probably not going to be looking for anything difficult or amazing runs. Not sure what the amenities (lodging, restaurants, etc) are like.

I've been but not in a long time. As with most of the "local" ski resorts, it should be good for kids as new skiers since you're probably not going to be looking for anything difficult or amazing runs. Not sure what the amenities (lodging, restaurants, etc) are like.
We are renting a place close to the resort (on the mountain) thru AirB&B. My wife the CPA that isn't a skier, but she has a ton of work to do, so she will be fine in the house during the day while we are gone.

It was her idea!

Hey guys,

Is this a living in Washington or visiting Washington or both thread?  As you can imagine, "Washington" brings up alot of results so please point me in the right direction if I'm in the wrong place.  We've been talking about doing some sightseeing with the kids (12 & 10) and were considering coming down for a long weekend when they have off for Easter (4/19-4/22).  

Would this be a good time to come down?  Wondering about what may be closed and potential crowds.  (Hoping the whole separation of church & state things helps us out here)

Any suggestions for places / areas to stay while there?

Any suggestions for best must-do touristy things?

Haven't been in the area for probably a couple decades so flying blind here and any help is appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,

Is this a living in Washington or visiting Washington or both thread?  As you can imagine, "Washington" brings up alot of results so please point me in the right direction if I'm in the wrong place.  We've been talking about doing some sightseeing with the kids (12 & 10) and were considering coming down for a long weekend when they have off for Easter (4/19-4/22).  

Would this be a good time to come down?  Wondering about what may be closed and potential crowds.  (Hoping the whole separation of church & state things helps us out here)

Haven't been in the area for probably a couple decades so flying blind here and any help is appreciated!
Everything will be open. Cherry blossoms should be done by then so crowds shouldn't be too bad.

Is budget a concern? If so, you can save a bit by staying outside of downtown near a metro station. Maybe Ballston or Silver Spring. Easter weekend is going to be pretty busy for the same reason you are going.

Hey guys,

Haven't been in the area for probably a couple decades for flying blind here and any help is appreciated!
This thread is for both.

Smithsonian only closes for Christmas; so, you should not have any Easter issues.  It is just after the cherry blossoms, which may be a blessing in disguise because those bring a lot of crowds.  It will probably still be busier than normal due to Spring Break.

Not a lot of time for getting too, too far off the beaten track.  I'd focus in the area around the mall and downtown: the monuments, the Smithsonian museums (Air & Space and National Portrait Gallery for personal favorites), National Archives, Capitol tour (closed on Sunday; probably should look into tickets since that will be a busy weekend), Ford's Theatre.  I like to recommend Mount Vernon to people, but probably not enough time to fit that in.

Maybe try doing the monuments at night.  Ford's Theatre also does some walking history tours.

Place to stay really depends on budget.  Plenty of options downtown, but could stay in Arlington/Alexandria and take the metro in, which may save some bucks.

Is budget a concern? If so, you can save a bit by staying outside of downtown near a metro station. Maybe Ballston or Silver Spring. Easter weekend is going to be pretty busy for the same reason you are going.
It looks like there are Hampton's within walking distance of the mall for about a couple hundred bucks a night and that's probably fine for us unless there are better options?

This thread is for both.

Smithsonian only closes for Christmas; so, you should not have any Easter issues.  It is just after the cherry blossoms, which may be a blessing in disguise because those bring a lot of crowds.  It will probably still be busier than normal due to Spring Break.

Not a lot of time for getting too, too far off the beaten track.  I'd focus in the area around the mall and downtown: the monuments, the Smithsonian museums (Air & Space and National Portrait Gallery for personal favorites), National Archives, Capitol tour (closed on Sunday; probably should look into tickets since that will be a busy weekend), Ford's Theatre.  I like to recommend Mount Vernon to people, but probably not enough time to fit that in.

Maybe try doing the monuments at night.  Ford's Theatre also does some walking history tours.

Place to stay really depends on budget.  Plenty of options downtown, but could stay in Arlington/Alexandria and take the metro in, which may save some bucks.
Thanks!  I just sent in the request for everything you need to put through congress like the white house, capitol building, supreme court, library of congress, FBI HQ, etc.  You can request up to 3 months in advance so I'm probably too late for tickets for some of that stuff.

I'm looking forward to monuments at night but didn't realize there were so many options for touring companies.  May still be cold so may avoid the bike tours and open electric car types.  Anyone been on one in particular that they liked?

Any unique to the area (but not fancy) restaurant suggestions?  

It looks like there are Hampton's within walking distance of the mall for about a couple hundred bucks a night and that's probably fine for us unless there are better options?
Are you a Hilton Honors member? I see some pretty low rates for 4/19-4/22 on the Hilton app. Several rates called Hilton Long Weekender which give you half off Sunday night if you are a Hilton Honors member. $127 for 2 Queen beds at the Hilton Garden Inn on M Street NW. Or $102 at the Washington Hilton on Connecticut Avenue for 2 double beds. A couple downtown Embassy Suites in the $170s for 1 King and 1 sofa bed (and a good breakfast included). And really good rates ($82-134) in Crystal City/National Airport area, which will be an easy Metro ride downtown. If you're not a member, it's easy enough to sign up and get those rates.

Marriott seems to have similar rates, but I didn't look into each of those too closely.

Thanks!  I just sent in the request for everything you need to put through congress like the white house, capitol building, supreme court, library of congress, FBI HQ, etc.  You can request up to 3 months in advance so I'm probably too late for tickets for some of that stuff.

I'm looking forward to monuments at night but didn't realize there were so many options for touring companies.  May still be cold so may avoid the bike tours and open electric car types.  Anyone been on one in particular that they liked?

Any unique to the area (but not fancy) restaurant suggestions?  
For restaurants, you could hit one of the Jose Andres restaurants downtown — Oyamel, Zaytinya, or Jaleo.  Maybe try exploring some of the neighborhoods for dinner too — plenty of options in Georgetown, but no specific suggestion.  Or Osteria Morini to check out the Navy Yard by the ballpark.

I realized I forgot to mention Arlington Cemetery in my earlier post. Another place to check out.

Disadvantage of living here is I have not personally used a touring company.

Flying in tomorrow. What’s the cherry blossom situation. 

Nevermind just found cherryblossomwatch.com. Very thorough 

Any FBG feedback on Rare Steakhouse?  I did BourbonSteak last time I was in town, but this place has caught my eye for my visit this weekend.

Wizards cashing in a 2% chance of falling all the way to #9 in the Draft Lottery is one of the most Les Boulez things ever.

I've never been a big NBA fan and at this point I'm just in it for the yucks with the Wiz. 

Wizards cashing in a 2% chance of falling all the way to #9 in the Draft Lottery is one of the most Les Boulez things ever.

I've never been a big NBA fan and at this point I'm just in it for the yucks with the Wiz. 
The silver lining with this season was that maybe they could parlay Wall's injury into a high lottery pick; and, if Wall ever comes back to his old form, they could have a pretty good top 3.  I wish they had some ammunition that they could use to move up a few spots for someone like Hunter, but I don't think they got enough ammunition from Grunfeld's trades.

I guess the true silver lining is that Ernie is finally gone.

4th of July advice please!

Taking family to DC 6/28-7/5.

Looking for best way to watch fireworks.. potomac river cruises?

Best place to get outdoors and swim?  Like a lake or river or waterfall?

Staying at Marriott Marquis.. dinner recommendations?  Date night recommendations?

eta - in general i'm willing to pay whatever for a good experience.

4th of July advice please!

Taking family to DC 6/28-7/5.

Looking for best way to watch fireworks.. potomac river cruises?

Best place to get outdoors and swim?  Like a lake or river or waterfall?

Staying at Marriott Marquis.. dinner recommendations?  Date night recommendations?

eta - in general i'm willing to pay whatever for a good experience.
I don’t think they have settled on the fireworks location yet.  Trump has decided to take it over this year, and is planning to give a speech from the Lincoln Memorial.

Usually they are prettiest from the Mall by the Smithsonian museums, because they shoot them off by the reflecting pool, so you get the Washington Monument in the foreground.  The latest rumor that I heard is that they are moving the fireworks to East Potomac Park.  Still close to the Mall, but it will be over buildings/trees instead of the Washington Monument from there.

There are lakes/rivers, but I’m not sure any that I would swim in, unless you want to drive pretty far outside the city — like towards Catoctin in Maryland. Maybe others know of closer stuff.

I’m a bit out of the loop on date places downtown, but Columbia Room is a pretty great cocktail place near that hotel for a date night.

Ha, I hadn’t heard that about the fireworks. My favorite place to sit has been the Lincoln Memorial but not sure how that would work this year. 

Yeah, not many natural swimming spots nearby. Some beaches along the Bay but not sure it’s worth it. If you like hiking and want to spend a day away from the city, you could go out to Shenandoah National Park and hike a trail with water falls and small swimming holes. Or you could do a day trip to the ocean. Probably about 2.5 hours without traffic to one of the DE beaches.

How old are you kids? If younger, I’d suggest The Yards Park in the city for an urban swimming/wading pool, waterfall, and fountains. Canal Park nearby also has fountains. So does Georgetown Waterfront Park. 

@matuski

Ha, I hadn’t heard that about the fireworks. My favorite place to sit has been the Lincoln Memorial but not sure how that would work this year. 

Yeah, not many natural swimming spots nearby. Some beaches along the Bay but not sure it’s worth it. If you like hiking and want to spend a day away from the city, you could go out to Shenandoah National Park and hike a trail with water falls and small swimming holes. Or you could do a day trip to the ocean. Probably about 2.5 hours without traffic to one of the DE beaches.

How old are you kids? If younger, I’d suggest The Yards Park in the city for an urban swimming/wading pool, waterfall, and fountains. Canal Park nearby also has fountains. So does Georgetown Waterfront Park. 

@matuski
10, 12.

Thanks.  Swimming isn't a deal breaker, but if a cool spot they would be happy.  Hotel doesn't have pool.

10, 12.

Thanks.  Swimming isn't a deal breaker, but if a cool spot they would be happy.  Hotel doesn't have pool.
I think that age would like the wading pool at The Yards Park. They’d likely be at the older end of kids there from what I remember (it’s been a couple years since I’ve been there with my kids), but could be fun for them. And if they get bored, the rest of the park is worth checking out. 

I saw today that the organizers of “A Capitol Fourth” say that will go on as normal. I’m guessing that just refers to the concert on the Capitol lawn, and the fireworks are still being figured out. But I don’t think anyone knows the plan.

Any under-the-radar ideas for places to go with kids locally (3 year old) that may be fun/interesting for adults too?  Sticking around for the holiday, but feel like in a bit of a rut.  Suggested the aquarium in Baltimore, but my wife seemed unenthusiastic about that.  She also seemed unenthusiastic about some of the Smithsonian stuff downtown because of crowds -- done the Air & Space by Dulles.

He's obsessed with trains -- done the B&O railroad museum in Baltimore.  Zoo is always a hit, but I was just there last weekend.

Going west an option? I have no earthly idea what would entertain a 3 y.o., but should be lots to do around the Blue Ridge and beyond.

So, hotel booked for our first trip to D.C. with the kids.  I think I’ve mentioned in here a couple of times we were planning it but it never worked out.  Finally looks like it will but we are coming at about the hottest time possible - July 4th week.  But, we don’t have a choice as it’s the only time we can do it.  I need to go back through the thread.

I should be able to dig up a good itinerary from the thread but I did want to go ahead and ask - where’s the best place to watch fireworks?  I assume there’s a decent amount of stuff going on around that time that may be worth checking out?

And yes, I plan on it being hot as balls so I’ve already prepared the wife.

So, hotel booked for our first trip to D.C. with the kids.  I think I’ve mentioned in here a couple of times we were planning it but it never worked out.  Finally looks like it will but we are coming at about the hottest time possible - July 4th week.  But, we don’t have a choice as it’s the only time we can do it.  I need to go back through the thread.

I should be able to dig up a good itinerary from the thread but I did want to go ahead and ask - where’s the best place to watch fireworks?  I assume there’s a decent amount of stuff going on around that time that may be worth checking out?

And yes, I plan on it being hot as balls so I’ve already prepared the wife.
I posted upthread a bit about there still being a lot of unanswered questions about July 4th.  Fireworks location may get shifted from by the Reflecting Pool down to East Potomac Park.  And Trump may be giving a speech from the Lincoln Memorial.  That would change a lot of the security dynamics and best viewing locations.

You should still be able to see from most places, but the traditional best spots are usually either end of the Mall (by the Lincoln Memorial or along the National Mall back to the Capitol), because you optically get them shooting over the Washington Monument.

If they shoot them from East Potomac Park, you will still be able to see them from the Mall; just may be over trees/buildings instead of that nice optical view over the Washington Monument.

Maybe it's the Virginian in me, but if they go with the new location closer to the Potomac River, I think something like Lady Bird Johnson Park or Gravelly Point on the Virginia side of the river may be pretty solid locations.

I was just reading the article again and I had East Potomac Park in my head, but it looks like West Potomac Park instead.  That puts them shooting off by the MLK Memorial.  I'll stand by Lady Bird Johson Park as likely to be a pretty solid location this year, as that is basically right across the Potomac.  The Mall stretching down to the Capitol will be a bit off-center, but not as bad as I was thinking as if it were East Potomac Park.

I was just reading the article again and I had East Potomac Park in my head, but it looks like West Potomac Park instead.  That puts them shooting off by the MLK Memorial.  I'll stand by Lady Bird Johson Park as likely to be a pretty solid location this year, as that is basically right across the Potomac.  The Mall stretching down to the Capitol will be a bit off-center, but not as bad as I was thinking as if it were East Potomac Park.
Jefferson Memorial should be good for that location. 

@DonQuixote et. al.

Heading to National Harbor for a conference from Thursday-Monday. Have a company dinner planned at Succotash on Friday evening but plans are open for Saturday night. Was thinking about bringing a few co-workers to Old Town Alexandria for dinner and would like some recommendations. Tried Vermillion but they are full (and probably more than our per diem of $75/day all-in). Any other suggestions for good eats in that area? We will probably be taking the water taxi from National Harbor so somewhere within walking distance of wherever the water taxi drops you off in Alexandria...

@DonQuixote et. al.

Heading to National Harbor for a conference from Thursday-Monday. Have a company dinner planned at Succotash on Friday evening but plans are open for Saturday night. Was thinking about bringing a few co-workers to Old Town Alexandria for dinner and would like some recommendations. Tried Vermillion but they are full (and probably more than our per diem of $75/day all-in). Any other suggestions for good eats in that area? We will probably be taking the water taxi from National Harbor so somewhere within walking distance of wherever the water taxi drops you off in Alexandria...
I haven't been there yet (mostly because my wife has a shellfish allergy and the menu is pretty heavy on that), but you could look into Hummingbird, which is Cathal Armstrong's new restaurant in Old Town.  I loved his former one, Restaurant Eve, which he closed to focus on his other places.  

A place similar to Vermilion that I like that you could check out is Brabo (French/Belgian menu focus).  That is a bit more of a walk from the waterfront, but there is a free Old Town trolley that goes up and down King Street if you find it too far (although a nice walk after a heavy meal).  Tasting room is probably in excess of the per diem, but they have an a la carte restaurant too.  

While the food is not the best that you will find in Old Town, if you want an Old Town colonial dining experience where George Washington used to eat, Gadsby's Tavern is not a bad option. 

Off the top of my head, some other places that I'd recommend around there are Daniel O'Connell's or the Warehouse Grill for some steak/seafood, Virtue Feed and Grain (more pub-like), il Porto for Italian, and Columbia Firehouse.  

Off the top of my head, some other places that I'd recommend around there are Daniel O'Connell's or the Warehouse Grill for some steak/seafood, Virtue Feed and Grain (more pub-like), il Porto for Italian, and Columbia Firehouse.  
Had already made a reservation at Virtue prior to this as a placeholder as it looked good and has good reviews. The group of people I am going with aren't averse to pub style food so this may be the best option. If I find anything else that looks interesting (in addition to what you mention), I'll update the thread for your insight. 

Thanks! 

Jefferson Memorial should be good for that location. 
Just to make sure I understand what you are saying - I could just show up around the Jefferson Memorial area and claim a spot and we should get a good view?  Will I need to show up like hours in advance?  I'm assuming it will be crazy crowded.

I've made the last minute request for tour tickets - hopefully we can get most of them but not too worried if we don't.

Putting together our itinerary this week.  Is there a consolidated list of must-see's somewhere in this thread?

Here's my list so far:  WH, Capitol Building, Washinton Monument, Jefferson Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, War Memorials

Just to make sure I understand what you are saying - I could just show up around the Jefferson Memorial area and claim a spot and we should get a good view?  Will I need to show up like hours in advance?  I'm assuming it will be crazy crowded.

I've made the last minute request for tour tickets - hopefully we can get most of them but not too worried if we don't.

Putting together our itinerary this week.  Is there a consolidated list of must-see's somewhere in this thread?

Here's my list so far:  WH, Capitol Building, Washinton Monument, Jefferson Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, War Memorials
Definitely going to be crowded.  How much space do think you need?  Would you want to set up a blanket, chairs, etc., or just looking for a place to stand and watch?  I think it depends on that, but I've mostly watched the from the VA side in recent years, which is less crowded.

I'd add on the Smithsonian museums to the list -- particularly, Air and Space, American History, and Natural History with the new dinosaur hall is opening up in a few days.  I like recommending the National Portrait Gallery too.  Could hit the National Zoo if the kids would be into that -- pandas are the draw there.

National Archives another traditional one to hit.

ETA: I also recommend Mount Vernon to folks.  Easier to get to if you have a car with you though.

I sat there once, arriving about 30 minutes before the fireworks, and we had no problems find a spot to sit. And that was with a fairly large group of people (maybe 10-12 of us). But, that was when the Jefferson wasn't a great location and most people flooded The Mall and Lincoln Memorial.

Back in the day, we'd get to the Lincoln Memorial many hours in advance, bring dinner there, play cards and other games. Eventually we stopped doing that and would just show up less than an hour before the fireworks. It would definitely be crowded, but we could find a decent spot for our family of 5.

Definitely going to be crowded.  How much space do think you need?  Would you want to set up a blanket, chairs, etc., or just looking for a place to stand and watch?  I think it depends on that, but I've mostly watched the from the VA side in recent years, which is less crowded.

I'd add on the Smithsonian museums to the list -- particularly, Air and Space, American History, and Natural History with the new dinosaur hall is opening up in a few days.  I like recommending the National Portrait Gallery too.  Could hit the National Zoo if the kids would be into that -- pandas are the draw there.

National Archives another traditional one to hit.
There are also a ton of options if @AAABatteries is willing to move away from the Mall and watch from afar. A bonus of that approach is you get to mingle with locals and spread out a bit and will have no problem returning getting to the metro or an Uber or whatever as soon as the fireworks are done.

Meridian Hill park (on 16th St just east of Adams Morgan) is the most famous and popular of these options, to the point that it can get pretty crowded too.

If you want to make it really easy on yourself and also meet some friendly locals, the folks in my neck of the woods congregate here.  There's stuff for kids as well as room for them to play, which is nice. It's a little further from the festivities, which is the obvious downside, but the locals make up for it by turning the entire area into a virtual war zone for the next three hours. I won't be around this year due to a family vacation ... which we almost rescheduled because I love the local DIY fireworks tradition so much.

Had already made a reservation at Virtue prior to this as a placeholder as it looked good and has good reviews. The group of people I am going with aren't averse to pub style food so this may be the best option. If I find anything else that looks interesting (in addition to what you mention), I'll update the thread for your insight. 

Thanks! 
It has a pretty good beer list and good burger from what I remember.  As another tip, while at Virtue, if you walk to the water from there, you should see an art installation with a bunch of colored mirrored glass inside.  Pretty cool to look at, and popular with the Instagram folks.  I was just over there letting my kid run around it on Memorial Day.

There are also a ton of options if @AAABatteries is willing to move away from the Mall and watch from afar. A bonus of that approach is you get to mingle with locals and spread out a bit and will have no problem returning getting to the metro or an Uber or whatever as soon as the fireworks are done.

Meridian Hill park (on 16th St just east of Adams Morgan) is the most famous and popular of these options, to the point that it can get pretty crowded too.

If you want to make it really easy on yourself and also meet some friendly locals, the folks in my neck of the woods congregate here.  There's stuff for kids as well as room for them to play, which is nice. It's a little further from the festivities, which is the obvious downside, but the locals make up for it by turning the entire area into a virtual war zone for the next three hours. I won't be around this year due to a family vacation ... which we almost rescheduled because I love the local DIY fireworks tradition so much.
Willing to head just about anywhere - my criteria (if you want to call them that) are:

• As close as possible - we've gotten to watch a lot of great fireworks over the years and stating the obvious, the closer you are the better they are
  • Prefer a location where we would hear music to go along with them
  • Would be cool to have them visible with other landmarks visible in the background
  • Don't want to have to arrive hours early.  Would rather spend that time looking at other stuff/touring around.  Don't mind it being a little crowded around us, just don't want to have to claim a spot and sit for a long time.

While I've never done it, I always thought the shore of the Potomac between Memorial and Roosevelt bridges would be good. Accessible with half mile or so walks from Rosslyn or Arlington Cemetery Metros. I also think the Park service allows people to park along the GW Pkwy, but not positive.

I also think the Park service allows people to park along the GW Pkwy, but not positive.
This is what we used to always do and then walk across to the Lincoln. Over the years, though, they drastically cut back on where you can park. I'm not sure what you currently can and can't do since we haven't tried that in several years.

While I've never done it, I always thought the shore of the Potomac between Memorial and Roosevelt bridges would be good. Accessible with half mile or so walks from Rosslyn or Arlington Cemetery Metros. I also think the Park service allows people to park along the GW Pkwy, but not positive.
Yeah, I always see people setting up around there.  May be even better with the site change.  Iwo Jima is another popular spot a bit further back from the shore.

Willing to head just about anywhere - my criteria (if you want to call them that) are:

• As close as possible - we've gotten to watch a lot of great fireworks over the years and stating the obvious, the closer you are the better they are
  • Prefer a location where we would hear music to go along with them
  • Would be cool to have them visible with other landmarks visible in the background
  • Don't want to have to arrive hours early.  Would rather spend that time looking at other stuff/touring around.  Don't mind it being a little crowded around us, just don't want to have to claim a spot and sit for a long time.
I haven't been downtown to watch the fireworks in a loooong time, and apparently they're changing up anyway so even if I had that knowledge wouldn't be too useful. But I don't know that musical accompaniment is an option unless you're right down there in the mix on the Mall or the Washington Monument grounds, which may not be compatible with point #4.

The good news is that you're almost assured of satisfying #3. The rule of thumb in DC is if you can see the Washington Monument you can see the fireworks.  Both of my "neighborhood" suggestions also give you a view of the Washington Monument (and I believe the Capitol Dome), because the city slopes gently upward as you go north and of course there's the famous limitation on the height of non-landmark buildings to protect the skyline.

Also a google search will give you a ton of articles on this topic, and of course if any of those sound interesting you can ask us about them.

As for doing other stuff that day ... tread lightly. It's the busiest metro day of the year. Can be a nightmare to get around anywhere near the Mall starting in the late afternoon. If you do end up making your way up to one of the neighborhood celebrations I mentioned or any others, let us know and I'm sure we can recommend some interesting nearby spots.

My wife just mentioned this place and had to tell her that I read it was closing on FBGs

Any other steak place recommendations?
There's a lot of K Street type steak places, but not really sure what could qualify as similarly no-frills.  Maybe "Medium Rare", but I haven't been there (might be where I try with Ray's closing down, as Ray's was just the automatic for me).

You looking for a date night, or something low key?

Don Quixote said:
There's a lot of K Street type steak places, but not really sure what could qualify as similarly no-frills.  Maybe "Medium Rare", but I haven't been there (might be where I try with Ray's closing down, as Ray's was just the automatic for me).

You looking for a date night, or something low key?
Im looking for date night.

But not where I have to try to dress up in anything more than jeans and button down.

Users who are viewing this thread