What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 2014 NFL Draft All-Overrated Team: Vanderbilt WR Jordan Matthews (1 Viewer)

And I have to laugh at the Fitz hands with AJ Green body statement. IMO Matthews is nowhere near the conversation of those two on any level.
Name Height Weight Arm Length Hand Size 40 YrdD Bench Vert 3 Cone 20 YrdSAJ Green 6.3.6 211 34 3/8" 9 1/4" 4.48 18 34 1/2" 6.91 4.18 Jordan Matthews 6.3.1 212 33 1/4" 10 3/8" 4.46 21 35 1/2" 6.95 4.21Alshon Jeffery 6.2.7 216 33" 10 1/4 4.48 -- 36 1/2" 6.71 4.17Jordy Nelson 6.2.6 217 32 1/2" 10" 4.51 -- 31" 7.03 4.35Matthews is just as fast, stronger and similar size as AJ Green.

*Top Year of college:

Targets YPT RZTDR msYards msTDJordan Matthews 157 9.41 .14 .5 .47Jordan Matthews Jr. 139 9.52 .22 .48 .47AJ Green 84 10.1 .19 .38 .47Alshon Jeffey So. 132 11.49 .27 .45 .39Jordy Nelson 161 10.06 .35 .47 .52Matthews dominated the same conference without the luxury of a Matt Stafford or Aaron Murray. Other than that he isn't comparable.
Sigh. Having the same measurables does not make you the same athlete as someone else. And I know that's not exactly what was said but I personally find the mere mention of Fitz hands on AJ Green's body to be laughable. People can certainly have a different opinion but doesnt change the fact the I find it a ridiculous statement at this time.

And Matthews had a great college career. Does not mean it will translate to the NFL. The all time leading NCAA receiving and passing yardage list is filled with guys who did little to nothing in the NFL.

Not saying Matthews cant be a good NFL WR but the constant reference to his college "domination" is being overstated IMO.
So was AJ Green's, Jordy Nelson's, and Alshon Jeffrey's then I guess :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Final Year of college:
Is it fair to compare Matthews' SR year to Green's JR year?

In their final year of college, Green played 10 games his JR year compared to 13 games for Matthews.
That's a good point. How did Matthews do his junior year?

I'm thinking of making a list of WRs who where it was said they "can't get separation". The same was said about Jordy, Alshon, Cooper, Decker... They're open because they are tall with long arms, big hands, and use skill, not because game breaking speed. Really chiche at this point

socrates said:
This was an interesting piece on Jordan Matthews by Greg Cosell.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/videos/videos/Jordan-Matthews-Film-Breakdown/871a21fb-967b-400a-aa0e-837cd12cbf84

While I really like the physical style of Matthews' game, and we saw Keenan Allen use some of those same skills to turn in a fine rookie campaign, I worry Matthews will struggle to get any separation from NFL DBs.
If he is playing slot most of the time this year, he will most likely be going against the other teams 3rd best CB. Should make it easier for him to get separation.

Rotoworld:

Second-round pick Jordan Matthews is reportedly "constantly sprinting" and "practices his ### off" at Eagles OTAs.

This is borderline fluff-piece fodder, but notable as Matthews battles for a role in Philly's deep offense. Matthews was also known as an exceptionally hard worker at Vanderbilt, where he was a team captain. We expect the Eagles' Week 1 three-wide set to line up Matthews in the slot with Riley Cooper and Jeremy Maclin outside. Matthews is a high-floor, high-ceiling pick in Dynasty drafts.

Source: Jimmy Kempski on Twitter

Jun 2 - 1:45 PM

Rhythmdoctor said:
socrates said:
This was an interesting piece on Jordan Matthews by Greg Cosell.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/videos/videos/Jordan-Matthews-Film-Breakdown/871a21fb-967b-400a-aa0e-837cd12cbf84

While I really like the physical style of Matthews' game, and we saw Keenan Allen use some of those same skills to turn in a fine rookie campaign, I worry Matthews will struggle to get any separation from NFL DBs.
Cliff notes for those of us who cant watch the video?
Cosell believes Matthews' versatility makes him a very good fit for Chip Kelly's offensive scheme. He theorizes that the scheme will help to get Matthews open, where they can really take advantage of Matthews' physicality and his run-after-catch ability (Cosell points out that Matthews plays faster with the ball in his hands than he does as a route runner). Cosell concedes Matthews is not an especially explosive route runner, but what he lacks in explosion he makes up for in size and physicality. Cosell also believes Matthews' impressive catch radius and ability to high-point the ball make him a good redzone threat.

I'm thinking of making a list of WRs who where it was said they "can't get separation". The same was said about Jordy, Alshon, Cooper, Decker... They're open because they are tall with long arms, big hands, and use skill, not because game breaking speed. Really chiche at this point
That's fine but to be fair you should also include the list of guys who the same was said and have not been successful. Guys like Rashaun Woods, Michael Jenkins, James Hardy, Limas Sweed, Jonathan Baldwin come to mind. Separation is not about the game breaking speed you cite. It's about many other things like suddeness, short area quickness, timing, release off the line, etc. While Matthews does have the attributes you mentioned above IMO he lacks in many of these other areas.

Curious what projections those of you who are high on Matthews have for him this year and down the road. Again, I think he will have some success in the NFL and Philly seems like a nice landing spot for him but also, again, I look at his tape and I see a very linear athlete who I don't think will ever be a true NFL #1.

Good thread though and those who are high on him have done their homework and laid out solid reasoning. I just tend not to agree based on the eyeball test. We shall see. Part of what makes this fun, right.

Rotoworld:

Jordan Matthews - WR - Eagles

The Philadelphia Inquirer believes it's "only a matter of time" before second-round WR Jordan Matthews locks down slot duties.

Matthews has been running behind Brad Smith in OTAs, but it's just a pad-less practice charade. He's been making an impression in practice all spring. Although he'll be behind Jeremy Maclin and Riley Cooper for targets, Matthews could come into some re-draft appeal as a rookie.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

Jun 3 - 4:47 PM

That's fine but to be fair you should also include the list of guys who the same was said and have not been successful. Guys like Rashaun Woods, Michael Jenkins, James Hardy, Limas Sweed, Jonathan Baldwin come to mind. Separation is not about the game breaking speed you cite. It's about many other things like suddeness, short area quickness, timing, release off the line, etc. While Matthews does have the attributes you mentioned above IMO he lacks in many of these other areas.

Curious what projections those of you who are high on Matthews have for him this year and down the road. Again, I think he will have some success in the NFL and Philly seems like a nice landing spot for him but also, again, I look at his tape and I see a very linear athlete who I don't think will ever be a true NFL #1.

Good thread though and those who are high on him have done their homework and laid out solid reasoning. I just tend not to agree based on the eyeball test. We shall see. Part of what makes this fun, right.
"He gets on base a lot" - Billy Beane

Cute quote. Curious what projections those of you who are high on Matthews have for him this year and down the road.- Care to share?

Cute quote. Curious what projections those of you who are high on Matthews have for him this year and down the road.- Care to share?
I'm not usually high on rookie WRs. He's no exception. He has a quality QB and on a up-tempo offense. There's a lot to like long-term. He'll probably breakout sophomore season and then be considered a WR1 going into 2016. We'll all look back and wonder why he wasn't the top WR taken in this class. A career trajectory like Alshon Jeffery

Got to love playing Nostradamus
That's half the fun of this thing. So you're predicting he'll be the clear #1 WR in this class and among the league leaders in receiving yardage in his second season?

I just don't see it. Like Bloom said I think he'll be a solid contributor but I don't see a true NFL #1 or 1300 plus yardage type of guy.

Either way this thread will be fun to look at over the years.

He's a lock to be a top 3 WR in this draft class. He's also the safest pick at WR in this draft. His floor is WR2. I could see Watkins or Evans being better but I could also see Matthews being better. I like Matthews a little better than both of those guys but it's super close between him and Evans for me because of where they both landed.

Ignoring the 1st round WRs, I think one or more of the following 4 will be clear cut WR1 going into 2017 (or possibly earlier):

Jordan Matthews

Davante Adams

Allen Robinson

Cody Latimer

So from my perspective, Jordan Matthews has at least a 25% chance of becoming a perennial fantasy stud. I truly think 2 or 3 from that group will emerge as fantasy studs which would boost Matthews' chances even more but historical averages don't support those odds, so I'll stick with history. But if you want to be conservative, you can pretty much give Matthews a 1/4 chance of being a stud WR. Of course these probabilities are based solely on my favorite WRs in this class and aren't really backed by anything concrete.

You could list all the 2nd rounders (7 in total) and figure 2/7 will become WR1 in fantasy. And if you look at only the "big" WRs from that 7, you get the 4 I listed above. I would bet a decent amount of money that 2/4 from my above list will be very good fantasy performers within the next 3-5 seasons and beyond.

He seems to be a very divisive player. I think he's very average. Skinny. Reasonably fast, but not a burner. Not a great open field runner. Hands are just okay at best. Don't recall him being a very good jump ball guy. He never popped off the screen for me in highlights. Where's he going to win in the NFL? He produced in the SEC, but so did Tim Tebow and Mark Ingram. It's only college football at the end of the day. I could see him being an average starter. Anything beyond that would surprise me. The main thing I like about him is that he went in the 2nd round to the Eagles. They must like him and that's a good situation.

Evaluating him in a vacuum, I am pretty lukewarm on his NFL ceiling.

He seems to be a very divisive player. I think he's very average. Skinny. Reasonably fast, but not a burner. Not a great open field runner. Hands are just okay at best. Don't recall him being a very good jump ball guy. He never popped off the screen for me in highlights. Where's he going to win in the NFL? He produced in the SEC, but so did Tim Tebow and Mark Ingram. It's only college football at the end of the day. I could see him being an average starter. Anything beyond that would surprise me. The main thing I like about him is that he went in the 2nd round to the Eagles. They must like him and that's a good situation.

Tebow and Ingram are completely different animals here. Ingram played RB on a dominant team, and we tend to give RBs too much credit or blame for results when the team around them absolutely can make or break them. There were always strong doubts as to how Tebow's game would translate to the NFL.

Mathews played against top competition on a bad team with a bad QB and still produced- actually out-produced more highly touted prospects playing on better teams against the same opponents. All reports show a smart, high character kid with a tremendous work ethic and even better attitude. He may not have a ceiling quite as high as Watkins or Evans, but his floor is arguably the highest in the class. I've got him at WR3.

Tebow and Ingram are completely different animals here. Ingram played RB on a dominant team, and we tend to give RBs too much credit or blame for results when the team around them absolutely can make or break them. There were always strong doubts as to how Tebow's game would translate to the NFL.

Mathews played against top competition on a bad team with a bad QB and still produced- actually out-produced more highly touted prospects playing on better teams against the same opponents. All reports show a smart, high character kid with a tremendous work ethic and even better attitude. He may not have a ceiling quite as high as Watkins or Evans, but his floor is arguably the highest in the class. I've got him at WR3.
I agree with most of this. I would put his ceiling at legit top 7ish WR in the NFL in three years. I think his ceiling is higher than Watkins but probably a little lower than Evans. Evans has a far greater chance of busting though. Matthew simply isn't going to bust ever.

He's going to win in the NFL with his route running, vertical speed, size, jump ball skills, great hands, work ethic, and his ability to play all over the field. They can line him up everywhere. Plus he went to a great situation. High octane offense with no WR1. lol They have one now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkoUzNCpevw

Can't wait to watch this kid's career.

He doesn't pop for me on tape either, but nearly everything else is there. As much as I trust my eye, I would be foolish to ignore everything else:

Production rate of 47% of his team's entire receiving production (avg of receptions, yards and TDs)

Back-to-back All-SEC selection

All time SEC reception and yardage leader in a season

He's 6-3 with a fast-for-his-size 10 yard split and above average metrics

Biletnikoff semi-finalist

Reputation as a hard worker and overachiever

Smart with relatively high wonderlic (29)

Related to Jerry Rice

He doesn't do one thing great but a lot of things good. I like his size/speed combo. I love his work ethic. Often times I think the hardest workers succeed in all facets of life. Matthews has established a reputation as the hardest of workers and I think, as in most professions, this work ethic will propel him toward elite status. The fact that he has near-prototypical WR size only makes his work ethic more relevant. I have to assume he will add "man weight" in the next few years. Again, the only thing that doesn't pop is the tape but I'm moving forward with the assumption that the tape isn't telling the whole story with Matthews.

Matthews strikes me as a player who just flat out wants to be an NFL player, and will do whatever it takes to play as long as he can. Matthews will always strive to outwork everyone that he can, and regardless of how you view his athletic traits, you have to respect his desire and work ethic. It is this "intangibles" component of his evaluation that has me intrigued, and combined with his situation, I don't fault anyone from targeting him at his current Rookie pick ADP.

The fact that he has near-prototypical WR size only makes his work ethic more relevant. I have to assume he will add "man weight" in the next few years. Again, the only thing that doesn't pop is the tape but I'm moving forward with the assumption that the tape isn't telling the whole story with Matthews.
He doesn't have near prototypical size. He's built like Reggie Wayne or AJ Green, not Vincent Jackson or Andre Johnson. Not much weight for his height. I don't see him as a prime candidate to develop more since he was a four year college player and is 1+ years older than many of his draft peers.

I'll be surprised if he's a complete flop, but I'll be more surprised if he's ever more than WR2-WR3 in FF.

@lawlornfl: The media got to see Jordan Matthews practice on Monday and they came away impressed. #Eagles. http://t.co/ROLDLeAht3

Jordan Matthews Update

Posted: June 4th, 2014 | Author: Tommy Lawlor | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 17 Comments »

Rookie receiver Jordan Matthews wasnt at practice when the media got to watch last week, but he was there on Monday and the reviews were positive.

We got our first glimpse of rookie Jordan Matthews and he looked good running around in shorts. OK, so its way too early to judge the second round receiver, but Matthews didnt look overmatched by any means. He ran with the second team offense in the slot behind Brad Smith. Matthews kept running after nearly every catch, all the way to the end zone, even though the plays technically end without contact. Its nice to see that kind of effort from a rookie. Matthews, who missed last Thursday to attend a rookie symposium in Los Angeles, spent about an extra 15 minutes working with quarterback Mark Sanchez after practice. Ill have more on Matthews and his chances of winning the slot receiver spot in a column for tomorrows paper. Jeff McLane

And

Jordan Matthews practices his ### off. After his reps he sprints back to the sidelines. It almost reminds me of when the 49ers Aldon Smith used to sprint back to his seat on the bench after a series ending sack. Jimmy Bama

Jimmy always finds interesting perspective.

Monday offered the media its first opportunity to watch rookie wide receiver Jordan Matthews in action after he was selected by the Eagles in the second round of the NFL Draft. Matthews worked exclusively out of the slot with the second-team offense. On the last second-team rep during an 11-on-11 drill, Matthews caught a pop pass from quarterback Mark Sanchez and raced down the middle of the field for the touchdown. In fact, he ran every catch to the end zone. Matthews also was part of the crowd of players who fielded punts which included, in no particular order, Darren Sproles, Riley Cooper and Damaris Johnson. PE.com

The Eagles need help on STs so it is good to see Matthews getting some work as a RS.

Jordan Matthews also spent some time as the slot receiver, which is where Chip Kelly suggested the Eagles would use him shortly Matthews was drafted. Matthews is very fun to watch. When he catches a pass, he typically runs 10 yards or more down the field after the play is over just because he likes to finish the play hard. Then he sprints back to the huddle for the next rep. His hustle and work ethic is something that Eagles fans should appreciate. Brandon Lee Gowton

There is no doubt that Matthews will do everything in his power to succeed, but effort isnt enough in the NFL. Luckily, Matthews has size, skill and athleticism to go with his work ethic. He will be counted on a lot as a rookie and his future is wide open. He could be the primary slot receiver. He could win a starting job and produce good numbers right away. Or Matthews could be slow to adjust and get lost in the shuffle with Josh Huff, Brad Smith and Arrelious Been.

I dont think the NFL will overwhelm Matthews. I get the feeling hes one of those guys will make his presence felt pretty quickly.

Jeff McLane wrote an article about Matthews and his quest to become the starting slot receiver.

The Eagles also have a chance to get more production out of the position. Avant caught only 31 of 62 targeted passes for 404 yards out of the slot in 2013. The year before, he pulled in 51 of 67 targeted throws for 598 yards.

DeSean Jackson ran the second-most routes (144) out of the slot and had 28 catches for 373 yards from that spot in 2013. Tight end Zach Ertz (15 catches for 178 yards) can pick up some of the slack, as can Jeremy Maclin (27 catches for 385 yards out of the slot in 2012), but coach Chip Kelly has been touting Matthews skill set as ideal for playing inside.

Youve got to be physical, the 6-foot-3, 212-pound Matthews said after Mondays practice. Theres going to be a lot of big guys in there.

Matthews caught more than a handful of passes over the middle from second-string quarterback Mark Sanchez on Monday. He hustled to the sideline each time his unit took a rest.

Since middle school, Ive done that, said Matthews, who stayed after practice to catch more passes from Sanchez. Its not like something I decided to do on a whim. Its who I am.

Avant was a good slot receiver for the Eagles. Matthews has a chance to be much better. He wont be as dynamic of a route-runner, but Matthews will be infinitely more dangerous with the ball in his hands. That should increase the number of big plays the Eagles get from the slot position.

Avant had 2 career catches that went for 40 or more yards. He could get you 10, even 20 yards. But Avant wasnt going to deliver the truly big plays. He was just too slow.

The fact that he has near-prototypical WR size only makes his work ethic more relevant. I have to assume he will add "man weight" in the next few years. Again, the only thing that doesn't pop is the tape but I'm moving forward with the assumption that the tape isn't telling the whole story with Matthews.
He doesn't have near prototypical size. He's built like Reggie Wayne or AJ Green, not Vincent Jackson or Andre Johnson. Not much weight for his height. I don't see him as a prime candidate to develop more since he was a four year college player and is 1+ years older than many of his draft peers.

I'll be surprised if he's a complete flop, but I'll be more surprised if he's ever more than WR2-WR3 in FF.
Who defines protypical NFL WR size? I'd say AJ Green and Reggie Wayne are prototypical WR1s based on their performance for sure. Let's not pick nits though because judging by height, Matthews is prototypical size at 6-3 and he only lacks in the weight category using your definition of prototypical. Most men don't get their "man weight" until 25ish so I'm not buying that Matthews can't grow into his 6-3 frame. I also don't think he needs to grow into his frame. Heavier guys seem to get injured more frequently... or maybe they don't. Either way, I think Matthews is near prototypical size some may say he is prototypical size. There have been a lot of stud WRs who are not beefy like a T.O. or Michael Irvin. In fact, none of the top 5 WRs of all time would be considered prototypical by your definition:

Jerry Rice

Randy Moss

Chris Carter

Marvin Harrison

Isaac Bruce

So again, who/what defines "prototypical" size for an NFL WR?

i just don't get the critique of this guy. the measurables are there. the production was there in the most difficult of situations for a college WR: playing against SEC teams on a crappy team with a crappy QB and everyone on the field and in the stands knows where the ball is going. the intangibles are the highest of high. he's on an offense that will move the ball and score points with riley cooper and jeremy maclin on a 1 yr deal in front of him.

you have all of the above facts, but you "just don't see 'it' on the highlights/tape" so you're down on him?

eric dickerson didn't look like a RB and when he ran, his long stride didn't look fast. i'm not saying he's the next randy moss or jerry rice, but damn.

WagesOfZin said:
the production was there in the most difficult of situations for a college WR: playing against SEC teams on a crappy team with a crappy QB and everyone on the field and in the stands knows where the ball is going.
I don't buy this--his situation being poor, in terms of production. The team was very run heavy and the opposition defended the team accordingly. Play action against 8 men in the box is not "the most difficult of situations". The only time everyone on the field and in the stands knew where the ball was going was on obvious passing downs; I'd be interested in seeing those numbers, but without them, it's hard to use his situation as a hindrance to his production.

WagesOfZin said:
you have all of the above facts, but you "just don't see 'it' on the highlights/tape" so you're down on him?
If his skillset doesn't translate to the NFL, no amount of "facts" are going to change that. Fact is, he was a 2nd round pick and the 7th WR off the board. It seems the NFL had some questions about him too.

Concept Coop said:
Matthews is just as fast, stronger and similar size as AJ Green.
What does that mean, when speed, strength, and size aren't what make AJ Green great? You might as well put his measurables next to Jerry Rice's and proclaim him on his way to being the best ever.
That's not really a hard concept coop (lol). It means exactly that.

Concept Coop said:
What does that mean, when speed, strength, and size aren't what make AJ Green great? You might as well put his measurables next to Jerry Rice's and proclaim him on his way to being the best ever.
I didn't mean literally. I was asking what value you thought the comment or fact provided.

Concept Coop said:
I didn't mean literally. I was asking what value you thought the comment or fact provided.
Someone thought it was absurd to state that he had the same athleticism/body type as AJ Green. I simply posted the numbers, along with other notable WRs, to back up the statement.The knock on him pre-draft was that he wasn't a good athlete as well.

If his skillset doesn't translate to the NFL, no amount of "facts" are going to change that. Fact is, he was a 2nd round pick and the 7th WR off the board. It seems the NFL had some questions about him too.
Terrance Williams was this (Actually 3rd round pick and 7th WR off) last year. The following were 2nd round guys and 7th WR's taken

Alshon Jeffery in 2012

Randall Cobb in 2011

It means nothing but I thought it was interesting

Someone thought it was absurd to state that he had the same athleticism/body type as AJ Green. I simply posted the numbers, along with other notable WRs, to back up the statement.The knock on him pre-draft was that he wasn't a good athlete as well.
I think Michael Crabtree might be a better comp, as AJ Green is clearly on another level, IMO. What makes AJ Green a great athlete simply isn't measured very well by combine drills. But it stands out when you watch him play. He's a freak and Matthews isn't on that level as an athlete, IMO.

I think Michael Crabtree might be a better comp, as AJ Green is clearly on another level, IMO. What makes AJ Green a great athlete simply isn't measured very well by combine drills. But it stands out when you watch him play. He's a freak and Matthews isn't on that level as an athlete, IMO.
Exactly. Some seem to think that height/weight and combine measureables tell the full picture on athleticism. Two guys can have very similar measureables yet be significantly different athletes. Nothing about Jordan Matthews says AJ Green or Larry Fitzgerald to me. Nothing about him says top 7 NFL WR in three years to me.

I do think he can be a solid WR2/3 for FF purpose in the right situation, which Philly would seem to be for the foreseeable future.

Someone thought it was absurd to state that he had the same athleticism/body type as AJ Green. I simply posted the numbers, along with other notable WRs, to back up the statement.

The knock on him pre-draft was that he wasn't a good athlete as well.
It's ok to reject 1-2 of the comparisons, but I put up 14 different data points for 3 different WR1's in the league right now in post #201. Matthews is on par- better then they were at this point of their career. That's more evidence anyone's eyes can comprehend at one time while watching draft breakdown. There is no subjectivity to the numbers either. I'm just here putting them in words.

Someone thought it was absurd to state that he had the same athleticism/body type as AJ Green. I simply posted the numbers, along with other notable WRs, to back up the statement.

The knock on him pre-draft was that he wasn't a good athlete as well.
Nothing about Jordan Matthews says Larry Fitzgerald to me.
Except when you see him make catches with guys draped on his back, ready to hit him and with one hand almost every game.

It's ok to reject 1-2 of the comparisons, but I put up 14 different data points for 3 different WR1's in the league right now in post #201. Matthews is on par- better then they were at this point of their career. That's more evidence anyone's eyes can comprehend at one time while watching draft breakdown. There is no subjectivity to the numbers either. I'm just here putting them in words.
There is nothing subjective about the numbers--they're numbers. The subjectivity is in the interpretation of the numbers. The numbers showed that LeSean McCoy is a poor athlete by NFL standards, to use one example. Is it wise then to use McCoy as a likely outcome for other players whose numbers are in line?

There is nothing subjective about the numbers--they're numbers. The subjectivity is in the interpretation of the numbers. The numbers showed that LeSean McCoy is a poor athlete by NFL standards, to use one example. Is it wise then to use McCoy as a likely outcome for other players whose numbers are in line?
Do whatever you want to

Users who are viewing this thread