What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Dawson Knox, BUF (3 Viewers)

What's this guys value in dynasty now?

I'm in an 8 Team league starting 2TEs and I have people knocking on the door. 

Is this a sell high moment? Or can he reach the Andrews/Hock tier? 

Dawson Knox caught all three of his targets for 25 yards in the Bills' Week 6 loss to the Titans before exiting with a hand injury.

His night could have been bigger, but Knox had a five-yard rushing touchdown called back on a hold by Emmanuel Sanders. Knox later tossed a two-point conversion to Josh Allen on a recreation of "Philly Special," but that was the last time we saw Knox, who never returned with the hand issue. Knox gets the Week 7 bye to get right ahead of a Week 8 date with the Dolphins. If Knox can't go, Tommy Sweeney is next up at tight end.

Oct 19, 2021, 12:00 AM ET

NFL Network's Mike Garofolo reports Dawson Knox "won't miss much time" after breaking a bone in his band in Week 6 against the Titans. 

Knox managed to throw a pass to Josh Allen on a two-point conversion after suffering the injury, successful pushing the football like a shot put. Garofolo's reporting hints at Knox having a shot to play in Week 8 -- after Buffalo's bye week -- against Miami. If Knox is sidelined for a game or two, Tommy Sweeney shapes up as a desperation streamer. Cole Beasley would be the main beneficiary of a Knox absence. Fantasy managers should stash Knox if they can. He leads all tight ends with five touchdowns and has run the eighth most pass routes among tight ends this year. 

RELATED: 

Tommy Sweeney

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Oct 19, 2021, 10:54 AM ET

Dawson Knox had surgery Tuesday on his broken hand.

The Bills are heading into their bye week, so Knox has an additional week to recover. There's no clear timeline on his return, with the tight end's goal to return "as soon as possible." Fantasy managers will need a backup option for Week 7, and should plan to have additional options for the following few weeks. Tommy Sweeney may have streaming viability while Knox is out, but the Bills did not heavily utilize the tight end in 2020, so the biggest impact of Knox's absence could be more routes for Gabriel Davis.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 20, 2021, 8:51 AM ET

I'm bummed. Was looking to package/flip him this week to open up a roster spot. Now I'm probably just going to drop the TE7 for nothing. The TE market has been pretty turbulent and I'm guessing that all of the Miami WR issues/ Gisecki and Godert being freed / Schultz / Seals Jones being a thing etc. have weakened his trade market considerably. 

Obviously the guy is tough as nails, completed a TD throw with said broken bone. But stuff don't heal right if you're banging it around while it's trying to heal. I mean, he was due for some TD regression anyway.

Nobody knows if it's like the outer/pinky metacarpal? Not sure why but I feel like if that's what it is, he might still be able to just put some sort of splint/guard on it, rub some dirt on it and good to go.

I feel like when my ESPN news feed has the video of the analysts say stuff like  "Hey, this guy's a legit set it and forget it TE," it's the death knell. Thanks Berry and Yates.

I'm bummed. Was looking to package/flip him this week to open up a roster spot. Now I'm probably just going to drop the TE7 for nothing. The TE market has been pretty turbulent and I'm guessing that all of the Miami WR issues/ Gisecki and Godert being freed / Schultz / Seals Jones being a thing etc. have weakened his trade market considerably. 

Obviously the guy is tough as nails, completed a TD throw with said broken bone. But stuff don't heal right if you're banging it around while it's trying to heal. I mean, he was due for some TD regression anyway.

Nobody knows if it's like the outer/pinky metacarpal? Not sure why but I feel like if that's what it is, he might still be able to just put some sort of splint/guard on it, rub some dirt on it and good to go.

I feel like when my ESPN news feed has the video of the analysts say stuff like  "Hey, this guy's a legit set it and forget it TE," it's the death knell. Thanks Berry and Yates.
I hear you there.  I have him and had Ertz, but thought I was set with Knox and traded Ertz.  Now I am f'ed at TE and picked up Seals-Jones off the wire.

Edit to add: Traded Ertz right before the game, day before he was traded to Zona.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's been dropped in multiple leagues I play in. In one league, debating placing a claim on him even though I have Hock. I figure Hock's bye is coming up in Week 9, when Knox will presumably be back. Also, if I get him I could try to package one of the two plus a WR to upgrade my RBs.

Basically, what it comes down to is that having the TE6 should have value for my team in some way.

He just looks the part this year...in his first three years he showed some flashes but seemed raw (he is still 24...will be 25 in November)...this year it seems to be coming together for him and it appears the team has confidence in him and is really incorporating him into their offense...I am big on quality TE depth as I have zero desire to waste my time playing TE musical chairs...if he is available on waivers or at a discount price due to his injury obtaining him is a move that could pay nice dividends later this season and in the FF playoffs.

Bills TE Dawson Knox (hand surgery) is expected to miss three weeks.

This doesn't come as a surprise with Knox avoiding injured reserve. The Bills have a Week 7 bye so there's a chance Knox, who had surgery this week, only misses two games. Tommy Sweeney will spot start while Knox is sidelined, with Gabe Davis potentially picking up Knox's pass game targets.

SOURCE: NFL Network

Oct 23, 2021, 12:49 PM ET

If he’s not back until Week 10 then I’m out. I need a bye week fill in for Hock in Week 9 and a Kittle replacement until he comes off IR. Knox’s situation does me no good. Too bad. He’s been having a strong season and I hope this injury doesn’t derail it

I've been holding Knox. Been using RSJ last 2 weeks in his absence. Just need a fill in for next week and then hopefully he's back week 10 ready to rock. 

Bills coach Sean McDermott called Dawson Knox (hand) "day-to-day."

Knox broke a bone in his hand in Week 6 and has been sidelined since. It sounds like he could return to practice in some capacity this week, putting him in play to suit up for the Bills Week 9 matchup with the Jaguars. Knox had five touchdowns through six weeks and was hovering around an 80 percent snap share. Once healthy, he'll resume his status as a TE1 with multi-touchdown upside. Tommy Sweeney was targeted four times last week and will be a TE2 streamer option if Knox is out again this week.

SOURCE: Chris Brown on Twitter

Nov 1, 2021, 4:39 PM ET

Read a blurb that he is expected back this week.  Anyone have any info on his status?  I’m starting Steve from accounting at TE right now and getting desperate. 

Dawson Knox (hand) practiced on Thursday for the second consecutive day.

Depending on if he's listed as full or limited, Knox is likely to at least be on the optimistic side of questionable. With the Bills schedule continuing to be full of cupcake opponents, Knox will likely be a low-end TE1 if he plays. 

SOURCE: Alaina Getzenberg on Twitter

Nov 11, 2021, 1:21 PM ET

I think he might have hit a wall. They don't really look for him ever since the injury. Might have to find another option for the playoffs. 

I think he might have hit a wall. They don't really look for him ever since the injury. Might have to find another option for the playoffs. 

He does have a tough playoff schedule. But he's a big part of their offense. A mini Kittle. 

Dawson Knox caught 2-of-4 targets for nine yards in the Bills' Divisional Round loss to the Chiefs.

Knox's third pro season was his best to date, developing as a true every-down tight end as the year went on, and he finished with career-bests in targets (71), catches (49), yards (587), and touchdowns (9), and figures to be a popular TE1 pick for fantasy next summer. Knox is a legitimate red-zone dominator and touchdown-scorer in an offense led by electric Josh Allen. Knox will have a case to be the third or fourth tight end off the board behind guys like Travis Kelce, Mark Andrews, and George Kittle.

- NBCSportsEDGE

The Athletic's Joe Buscaglia said "don't be surprised" if Dawson Knox's stats "go up" in 2022. 

The exception, Buscaglia said, would be touchdowns -- an area where Knox is likely to regress in 2022 after posting an 18.3 percent touchdown rate in 2021 as Josh Allen's primary red zone target. Buffalo showed unwavering commitment to Knox last season as rumors swirled for months that the Bills would acquire Zach Ertz as a tight end upgrade. They were rewarded with a stellar season from Knox, 25, who had career highs in every major statistical category and finished as fantasy football's seventh highest scoring tight end in 2021. Buscaglia said the Bills could sign Knox to a long-term deal before the 2022 regular season. "When you consider his age, athletic profile and connection with Allen, it’s hard to ignore the signs that Knox is a potential long-term answer at tight end," Buscaglia said, adding Knox's role as a pass catcher should grow. "Re-signing Knox for the prime of his career would lock in one of Allen’s go-to pieces while the receivers room continues to fluctuate." Knox will be a popular mid-round draft pick in 2022 re-draft formats. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Feb 25, 2022, 11:15 AM ET

Dawson Knox caught 1-of-2 targets for five yards in the Bills' Week 1 win over the Rams.

There were big plays for the taking against a surprisingly-leaky Rams defense, but they went to Gabe Davis and Stefon Diggs. That is the fear for a tight end who lived off scores and chunk gains in 2021. His touchdown rate seemed destined to decline, and he probably isn't going to be bailed out by a drastically increased target rate. That being said, Knox is still going to have plenty of spiked weeks in this explosive offense. He remains in the back-end TE1 conversation for Week 2 against the Titans.
- NBCSportsEDGE

The horse collar tackle he sustained early in the game and WAS FLAGGED by the referee, you look at his legs and wonder how he didn't tear or stretch something last night. I think it jammed him up the rest of the night and this is why I hate those type of tackles, Knox was Knoxed out of the game basically.

If you watched the game last night you could see Knox took the brunt of it and could trigger the kind of injury that doesn't always look apparent immediately. When you slow down that horse collar it was pretty gnarly.

Last edited:
I haven't found the breakdown of how many times he stayed in to block, but a couple of writers have noted he stayed in more than normal. That makes sense, the Rams have one of the better pass rushes in the league. If he goes back to his normal route running - around 30 per game - I'm sure the targets will come.

Last year he was targeted on 14.6% of his routes. Obviously, don't worry about one game because sample size, but last night it was 8%. But could be a game script anomaly against a pretty good defense, the kind they will rarely face the ROS.

The Bills had four effective WRs last night; Davis looks like a TD machine, and Diggs is the target hog. But Crowder and McKenzie looked good, too. But I'm thinking those aren't bad things because it opens up the field for Knox. Teams will have to account for him when it's a game he isn't blocking half his snaps.

Still a low end TE1, td-dependent bc he probably isn't going to cross the magic threshold of 90 targets (71 last year.)

Last edited:
Josh Allen looked unstoppable yesterday, I'm just glad I have a piece of that offense.

After the top five TEs they're all inconsistent. Knox being on Buffalo where he'll have endless red zone opportunities should put him in the 5-10 range when it's all said and done

Dawson Knox (back/hip) was limited in Wednesday's practice.​

Knox was dealing with a foot issue heading into Week 3, but the back and hip injuries appear to be new. The fourth-year tight end has factored into Buffalo's game plan much this year. He has yet to reach 50 yards in a game or score. Knox will straddle the TE1/2 borderline for his Week 3 matchup with Baltimore.
Sep 28, 2022, 4:05 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread