What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Playoff League/Contest Strategy - Assessing NFL Team Playoff Success (1 Viewer)

Scoresman

Footballguy
Since a lot of use are in playoff contests and fantasy leagues I thought I would start a thread on the topic. For playoff contests, I feel like one thing they all have in common is the need to identify the teams that will go deep into playoffs, including identifying dark horse candidates. Doing some light research, I've found some key stats to look at that historically appear to give some insight on playoff success. While the playoffs can be unpredictable, looking at a combination of these can give us our best chance at trying to predict outcomes.

- Point differential. In the Superbowl era, teams that were either #1 or 2 in point differential made the Superbowl 79% of the time. Since 1990, teams that have outscored their opponents by more than 100 have won a Superbowl 70% of the time. This shouldn't be much of a surprise as PD has historically been a good indicator of future success. Currently of the likely playoff teams, it looks like the 49ers, Ravens, Dolphins, Cowboys, and Bills fit this criteria.

- End of Season Win Streak (ESWS). Since 1990, teams that have ended the season 3-0 have won the Superbowl 76% of the time. I'm not sure how teams that rest starters and also the recent extension of the regular plays into this, but that is a fairly high rate. Of the teams that have clinched a playoff spot, the Ravens, Rams, and Browns meet this criteria. The Bills would if they make the playoffs.

- Turnover Differential. Since 1990, teams that are at least +10 in TO differential have won the Superbowl 75% of the time. Of the current teams in the playoff race, only the 49ers and Ravens meet the criteria. The Cowboys are knocking at the door at +8.

- Team QB Rating differential: This has long been regarded as a predictive indicator of success in NFL matchups. The 49ers so far lead in Team QB rating at 110.9, but it's worth noting that this has dipped over the last 3 games to 92.3. The Ravens and Dolphins have the highest in the AFC. One thing to note is Dallas' QB rating plummets from 119.4 at home to 86.8 on the road. Buffalo also has a significant decline in QBR on the road. KC and Jax, on the other hand, have a better QBR on the road than at home.

Defense: Since 1990, teams that have allowed the fewest points per game have won the Superbowl 65% of the time. This year so far, that team is The Ravens at 263 PA, followed by the 49ers at 277, and Chiefs at 282

Other things like previous playoff experience, especially for QB and head coach seem to matter.

I will update these first two posts after each weeks' games.

Last edited:
Reserved for more information/team writeups.

Current Vegas Superbowl odds

TeamOdds
San Francisco 49ers+230
Baltimore Ravens+300
Dallas Cowboys+750
Kansas City Chiefs+900
Philadelphia Eagles+1100
Miami Dolphins+1200
Buffalo Bills+800
Detroit Lions+2000
Jacksonville Jaguars+3300
Cleveland Browns+3300
Denver Broncos+8000
Cincinnati Bengals+10000
Houston Texans+10000
LA Rams+6000
Minnesota Vikings+10000
Atlanta Falcons+12500
Green Bay Packers+12500
New Orleans Saints+12500
Seattle Seahawks+12500
Indianapolis Colts+15000
Pittsburgh Steelers+15000
Tampa Bay Buccaneers+15000
NY Jets+25000
Las Vegas Raiders+30000
Chicago Bears+50000
NY Giants+50000
Tennessee Titans+50000
LA Chargers+100000
Washington Commanders+100000
New England Patriots+150000
Arizona Cardinals+200000
Carolina Panthers+300000

TeamSeedPt DiffESWSTO DiffQB Rating
49ers
1​
194​
1​
10​
110.9​
Ravens
1​
210​
2​
12​
103.8​
Eagles
5​
22​
-1​
-7​
89.7​
Dolphins
2​
112​
-1​
1​
102.8​
Lions
3​
56​
-1​
-2​
98.3​
Browns
5​
51​
2​
-8​
94.7​
Cowboys
2​
166​
1​
8​
102.9​
Chiefs
3​
76​
-1​
-10​
90.7​
Buccaneers
4​
14​
-1​
6​
95.8​
Jaguars
4​
14​
1​
-2​
89.8​
Rams
6​
26​
2​
-3​
89.9​
Bills
6​
133​
2​
3​
93.7​
Seahawks
7​
-39​
-1​
2​
89​
Colts
7​
-15​
-1​
3​
84.4​

Last edited:
Obviously still two weeks left, but getting ready to call the Eagle pretenders. Point differential of only 26, turnover differential of -7 (WTF happened there?), and QB Rating of 89.7 which means they will lose a lot of differential battles with other playoff teams. I know they had a hard schedule which also factors in so interested in hearing other thoughts here.

The Chiefs also fail miserably in most of the criteria. I feel like a lot of people will still be picking Chiefs players in their playoff contests though.

If the playoffs started today, I'd be loading up on Ravens, Dolphins, 49ers, and Cowboys in that order. Fading Eagles, Jacksonville, and Kansas City.

Buccaneers have the road QBR, turnover differential, and possible ESWS with matchups against the Panthers and Titans left.

Great work on this entire thing, but I think this should be the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Always a critic in the crowd, isn't there?

No, seriously. That's very interesting to look at.

I wish FTN was freer with the DVOA data that Aaron Schatz has compiled over the years so we could get an article based on DVOA's history.

Buccaneers have the road QBR, turnover differential, and possible ESWS with matchups against the Panthers and Titans left.

Great work on this entire thing, but I think this should be the Jacksonville Jaguars.

I wish FTN was freer with the DVOA data that Aaron Schatz has compiled over the years so we could get an article based on DVOA's history.

Yeah, a lot happened in a week and I don't like the Bucs as much now.

This week, we saw the Ravens and 49ers clearly separate themselves from the pack so you'd be a fool to not load up here. The Cowboys and Dolphins remain in the next tier. If the Cowboys can lock up 2 playoff home games, it'll be worth loading up on some of their players because they would likely play 3 games. The Bills are probably the only other team I could see making noise as a dark horse at this point. Maybe the Browns since their numbers with Flacco are a lot better than their overall.

Yeah, a lot happened in a week and I don't like the Bucs as much now.

Yeah, the Bucs got wiped. I was just talking about the schedule. Jags played the Panthers and now the Titans.

Peace, man, and good work.

Dallas is still a real wild card, as is Detroit. I'd say it's Baltimore above all the others.

Baltimore über alles, if you will.

Looking back a few years....

2019: Top seeds coming into the playoffs were the Ravens with a 12 game win streak and 259 PD +10 on turnovers, and the 49ers with a 2 game win streak, 169 PD, and +4 on turnovers. The Ravens ended up getting knocked out while the 49ers went to the Superbowl. The Chiefs, the # 2 seed also went to the Superbowl meeting most of the criteria above. The Titans made some noise as a 6 seed in the AFC Championship without really meeting any of the criteria above.

2020: Top seeds were the Chiefs and Packers, both of which met a few of the criteria but not all and not by the margin we've seen in previous years. The Buccaneers were also highly touted and met more of the criteria than the 1 seeds. As a result they along with the Chiefs made the Superbowl. No real low seed dark horses this year.

2021: Top seeds were the Titans and Packers both of which had woeful PDs, and met only a few other criteria. Neither made the Superbowl. The Superbowl was represented by the Rams and Bengals who also did not meet criteria. The 49ers made it to the Championship as a 6 seed but did not have any notable numbers. Just a chaotic year.

2022: Top seeds were the Chiefs and Eagles, but they were not the leaders in the criteria categories. The 49ers were the leader there. It may have been a different story had Purdy not got hurt in the Championship game.

One thing I notice here is that in the chaotic playoff years, there were no clear runaway teams in terms of the playoff success criteria.

This year really stands apart from the others in that we not only have two clear cut favorites in the 49ers and Ravens, but the separation they have from the pack is astounding, particularly at point differential. The Ravens, for example have 210 PD. The next closest in the AFC are the Bills at 133. In the NFC, you've got the Niners at 194 and Cowboys at 166, then the next highest are the Lions at 56. I didnt notice such large gaps between the top teams and the rest of the pack in previous years.

Does this mean this will be a year where the favorites do not disappoint?

Last edited:

2019: Top seeds coming into the playoffs were the Ravens with a 12 game win streak and 259 PD +10 on turnovers, and the 49ers with a 2 game win streak, 169 PD, and +4 on turnovers. The Ravens ended up getting knocked out while the 49ers went to the Superbowl. The Chiefs, the # 2 seed also went to the Superbowl meeting most of the criteria above. The Titans made some noise as a 6 seed in the AFC Championship without really meeting any of the criteria above.

2020: Top seeds were the Chiefs and Packers, both of which met a few of the criteria but not all and not by the margin we've seen in previous years. The Buccaneers were also highly touted and met more of the criteria than the 1 seeds. As a result they along with the Chiefs made the Superbowl. No real low seed dark horses this year.

2021: Top seeds were the Titans and Packers both of which had woeful PDs, and met only a few other criteria. Neither made the Superbowl. The Superbowl was represented by the Rams and Bengals who also did not meet criteria. The 49ers made it to the Championship as a 6 seed but did not have any notable numbers. Just a chaotic year.

2022: Top seeds were the Chiefs and Eagles, but they were not the leaders in the criteria categories. The 49ers were the leader there. It may have been a different story had Purdy not got hurt in the Championship game.

One thing I notice here is that in the chaotic playoff years, there were no clear runaway teams in terms of the playoff success criteria.

This year really stands apart from the others in that we not only have two clear cut favorites in the 49ers and Bengals, but the separation they have from the pack is astounding, particularly at point differential. The Ravens, for example have 210 PD. The next closest in the AFC are the Bills at 133. In the NFC, you've got the Niners at 194 and Cowboys at 166, then the next highest are the Lions at 56. I didnt notice such large gaps between the top teams and the rest of the pack in previous years.

You meant to say Ravens, yes?

This year really stands apart from the others in that we not only have two clear cut favorites in the 49ers and Bengals, but the separation they have from the pack is astounding, particularly at point differential. The Ravens, for example have 210 PD. The next closest in the AFC are the Bills at 133. In the NFC, you've got the Niners at 194 and Cowboys at 166, then the next highest are the Lions at 56. I didnt notice such large gaps between the top teams and the rest of the pack in previous years.

You meant to say Ravens, yes?
Sorry yes. lol

Did a little digging on DVOA since you mentioned it.

The Ravens currently rank third in all time DVOA behind the 2007 Patriots and 1991 Redskins. The 49ers are 6th all time. That's nuts. If you're picking something other than a SF/BAL Superbowl, you're gonna need to show your work.

DVOA does not like the Rams even though they seem to be peaking at the right time. They are 18th overall.

Weighing DVOA by recent games still has the Ravens and Niners in a tier by themselves although it's really Baltimore 1st tier, 49ers 2nd. Next is Buffalo/KC/Miami. Philly is tenth behind Jacksonville, Cleveland and Detroit.

I feel like in playoff contests, a lot of people are still going to take Eagles players which may be a spot to pivot for an advantage if you see them exiting early.

Doing some preliminary calcs on expected number of games played and turning that into total playoff projections. This is all subject to change obviously since my expected games played will use final vegas odds and final DVOA.

- Joe Flacco is a top 3 QB
- RB is weak for the playoffs. Kyren Williams is the number 3 RB despite the Rams not expected to play more than one game.
-I want to load up on BAL players but it's going to be tough with their top WR only at WR6 and the other 2 are 16 and 17.
- Isaiah Likely, Sam LaPorta, and David Njoku are your top 3 playoff TEs this year. :eek: Surprised to see Kittle at 4. Kelce is 6th.

I'll post player projections once teams and odds are set.

I think for my contest I'm going to go with Vegas odds and DVOA to come up with an expected number of games played and just project total player points based on that. Things like end of season win streaks may be good to know and is fun to look at but don't really hold up as predictive stats when you start using linear regression to try and find causation.

Vegas, DVOA, and possibly Point Differential are the best things to look at IMO.

I think for my contest I'm going to go with Vegas odds and DVOA to come up with an expected number of games played and just project total player points based on that. Things like end of season win streaks may be good to know and is fun to look at but don't really hold up as predictive stats when you start using linear regression to try and find causation.

Vegas, DVOA, and possibly Point Differential are the best things to look at IMO.
So will these be posted here?

Great job on this @Scoresman

One thing that might be fun is to start a thread and ask people how many games they expect each of the playoff teams to play.

That's key information.

Our draft started last night

1. Lamar
2. McCaffrey
3. Lamb

I am 5 and will take either Allen, Purdy or Prescott I assume. One (obvious) thing to remember is that the #2/3 seeds have the best chance to play 4 games. Buffalo seems to have the best chance of that right now.

One thing that might be fun is to start a thread and ask people how many games they expect each of the playoff teams to play.

That's key information.

Funny you should mention this! Back in 2014 or so, you guys ran an article on how to calculate this using Vegas odds and DVOA.

Updating this for this year gives us the following

P1P2P3P4Exp G
BAL
14.0%​
16.8%​
69.2%​
0.0%​
2.55​
SF
14.7%​
19.9%​
65.4%​
0.0%​
2.51​
BUF
18.5%​
30.4%​
36.4%​
14.7%​
2.47​
DAL
23.0%​
26.4%​
33.3%​
17.3%​
2.45​
DET
35.1%​
37.1%​
19.9%​
7.9%​
2.01​
KC
37.6%​
37.0%​
19.1%​
6.3%​
1.94​
CLE
44.4%​
43.9%​
9.1%​
2.6%​
1.70​
PHI
43.5%​
49.5%​
5.7%​
1.3%​
1.65​
TB
56.5%​
27.3%​
12.4%​
3.8%​
1.64​
HOU
56.5%​
31.3%​
9.7%​
2.5%​
1.58​
MIA
62.4%​
26.3%​
7.5%​
3.8%​
1.53​
LAR
64.9%​
25.9%​
6.7%​
2.5%​
1.47​
GB
77.0%​
18.2%​
2.9%​
1.9%​
1.30​
PIT
81.5%​
15.5%​
2.1%​
0.9%​
1.22​

The P columns represent the chance that each team will play that number of games. The last column is Expected number of games played. Looks like we have 4 teams to focus on here, SF/BAL/BUF/DAL.

I expected this to be way more skewed SF/BAL but it makes sense with Dallas and Buffalo's extra home game.

In terms of Point Differential, in the NFC, it's the Cowboys at 194, the Niners at 193. Next highest is Detroit at 66. :eek:

In the AFC, you've got the Ravens at 205, and the Bills at 140. The Dolphins barely make it at 105, but with the recent injuries to their defense, I'm not counting them.

The turnover differential situation has changed a lot. Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Dallas, Houston, and SF now all have +10 turnovers.

In terms of Point Differential, in the NFC, it's the Cowboys at 194, the Niners at 193. Next highest is Detroit at 66. :eek:

Not sure how this factors in, if at all, but I wonder if you've looked at the impact of how those number are accumulated. For example, Dallas was +210 in 10 games against teams that didn't make the playoffs, but only -16 in their 7 games against teams that did. Meanwhile San Francisco was +112 in 9 games against non-playoff teams, and +81 in 8 games against playoff teams. So their end of year totals are virtually identical but the way they got there was very different. I'm not sure how predictive it is, for example, that Dallas completely blew out the Giants and Commanders twice each (Dallas won those four games by a combined score of 172 - 37).

Not sure how this factors in, if at all, but I wonder if you've looked at the impact of how those number are accumulated. For example, Dallas was +210 in 10 games against teams that didn't make the playoffs, but only -16 in their 7 games against teams that did. Meanwhile San Francisco was +112 in 9 games against non-playoff teams, and +81 in 8 games against playoff teams. So their end of year totals are virtually identical but the way they got there was very different. I'm not sure how predictive it is, for example, that Dallas completely blew out the Giants and Commanders twice each (Dallas won those four games by a combined score of 172 - 37).

All good questions. You'd have to go back and also assess all the historical teams that had high PDs and made the Superbowl at a high rate. I'd bet you'd see the same sorts of patterns but maybe not so strange as the Cowboys' situation this year.

Dallas has a lot of variance in their splits. You pointed out the splits vs level of competition and their home/road splits are just as polarizing.

DVOA does like the Cowboys, but it actually shows the Bills slightly ahead of them. So there's that.

That's key information.

Funny you should mention this! Back in 2014 or so, you guys ran an article on how to calculate this using Vegas odds and DVOA.

P1P2P3P4Exp G
BAL
14.0%​
16.8%​
69.2%​
0.0%​
2.55​
SF
14.7%​
19.9%​
65.4%​
0.0%​
2.51​
BUF
18.5%​
30.4%​
36.4%​
14.7%​
2.47​
DAL
23.0%​
26.4%​
33.3%​
17.3%​
2.45​
DET
35.1%​
37.1%​
19.9%​
7.9%​
2.01​
KC
37.6%​
37.0%​
19.1%​
6.3%​
1.94​
CLE
44.4%​
43.9%​
9.1%​
2.6%​
1.70​
PHI
43.5%​
49.5%​
5.7%​
1.3%​
1.65​
TB
56.5%​
27.3%​
12.4%​
3.8%​
1.64​
HOU
56.5%​
31.3%​
9.7%​
2.5%​
1.58​
MIA
62.4%​
26.3%​
7.5%​
3.8%​
1.53​
LAR
64.9%​
25.9%​
6.7%​
2.5%​
1.47​
GB
77.0%​
18.2%​
2.9%​
1.9%​
1.30​
PIT
81.5%​
15.5%​
2.1%​
0.9%​
1.22​

The P columns represent the chance that each team will play that number of games. The last column is Expected number of games played. Looks like we have 4 teams to focus on here, SF/BAL/BUF/DAL.

I expected this to be way more skewed SF/BAL but it makes sense with Dallas and Buffalo's extra home game.

Do you have a link to the article you're referencing? Just curious what goes into this calculation, because these numbers look off. For example you have Baltimore with a ~70% chance of making it to the Super Bowl, and their odds to win the AFC right now are around +125. That would be massive value if your estimates above were accurate.

That's key information.

P1P2P3P4Exp G
BAL
14.0%​
16.8%​
69.2%​
0.0%​
2.55​
SF
14.7%​
19.9%​
65.4%​
0.0%​
2.51​
BUF
18.5%​
30.4%​
36.4%​
14.7%​
2.47​
DAL
23.0%​
26.4%​
33.3%​
17.3%​
2.45​
DET
35.1%​
37.1%​
19.9%​
7.9%​
2.01​
KC
37.6%​
37.0%​
19.1%​
6.3%​
1.94​
CLE
44.4%​
43.9%​
9.1%​
2.6%​
1.70​
PHI
43.5%​
49.5%​
5.7%​
1.3%​
1.65​
TB
56.5%​
27.3%​
12.4%​
3.8%​
1.64​
HOU
56.5%​
31.3%​
9.7%​
2.5%​
1.58​
MIA
62.4%​
26.3%​
7.5%​
3.8%​
1.53​
LAR
64.9%​
25.9%​
6.7%​
2.5%​
1.47​
GB
77.0%​
18.2%​
2.9%​
1.9%​
1.30​
PIT
81.5%​
15.5%​
2.1%​
0.9%​
1.22​

Do you have a link to the article you're referencing? Just curious what goes into this calculation, because these numbers look off. For example you have Baltimore with a ~70% chance of making it to the Super Bowl, and their odds to win the AFC right now are around +125. That would be massive value if your estimates above were accurate.

It uses Vegas odds for the wildcard games and then dvoa for the rest.

I welcome some quality control of my work. I found one small error this morning.

So for my playoff league, we have to choose 3 players at each position with no limits on how many players you can pick per team. You score as many points as they do throughout the entire playoffs, no bonuses for later rounds.

In looking at previous years, winners have correctly selected the Superbowl teams for chalk years, but for years where chalk didn't happen, the winners still picked chalk, but also had 1 or 2 players in the Superbowl. Most people in my league go with the chalk.

So this year is definitely looking to be the chalkiest Superbowl in years if Vegas and DVOA are to be believed. I have to go big on SF/BAL, so I have 5 players from each. I also have 4 players each on Dallas and Buffalo since they are the next most likely. To fill out my roster, I have 1 Ram, 1 Brown, 1 Lion. This is my roster so far.

PosTeamPlayer
QBBUFJosh Allen
QBBALLamar Jackson
QBDALDak Prescott
RBSFChristian McAffrey
RBBUFJames Cook
RBLARKyren Williams
WRDALCeedee Lamb
WRDETAmon-Ra St. Brown
WRSFDeebo Samuel
TESFGeorge Kittle
TECLEDavid Njoku
TEBALIsaiah Likely
FlexBUFSteffon Diggs
FlexSFBrandon Aiyuk
FlexBALGus Edwards
KDALDAL
KBALBAL
KBUFBUF
DSFSF
DBALBAL
DDALDAL

I'm waffling between Njoku and Kelce, since I'm growing more inclined to pick KC to advance.

Also, not loving my Gus Edwards pick, but I want 5 players from BAL and the only other option I can think of is Flowers, but Edwards has been more consistent fantasy point-wise.

Also, not crazy how I have the RB/TE/both WRs from SF because I'm not sure if they all can produce at the same time, but I need to keep representation from SF high.

Also, not loving my Gus Edwards pick, but I want 5 players from BAL and the only other option I can think of is Flowers, but Edwards has been more consistent fantasy point-wise.
Is it PPR? That would give the nod to Flowers. I think Gus will be the TD guy from inside the 5 yd line but other than that he will be between 40-70 yds. Flowers has potential for much more but also a lot less. I think I lean Flowers with the team you show.

Also, not crazy how I have the RB/TE/both WRs from SF because I'm not sure if they all can produce at the same time, but I need to keep representation from SF high.
If I am understanding correctly I think it's fine to have that because you will get all the scoring that way. If' it's total points for the entire playoffs it doesn't matter if one game is low for a guy as long as your other guy is getting it. By having those skill positions covered you are good.

Last edited:
Is it PPR? That would give the nod to Flowers. I think Gus will be the TD guy from inside the 5 yd line but other than that he will be between 40-70 yds. Flowers has potential for much more but also a lot less. I think I lean Flowers with the team you show.

If I am understanding correctly I think it's fine to have that because you will get all the scoring that way. If' it's total points for the entire playoffs it doesn't matter if one game is low for a guy as long as your other guy is getting it. My having those skill positions covered you are good.

Thanks. It’s half PPR.

For the Niner situation, I feel like I have a correlation issue in that why would I pick the entire SF offense but not Purdy? I feel like if I think that at least 3/4 of the niners offensive studs are good enough to take, then Purdy would have to also be worth taking since he’s throwing to all of them.

So now I’m thinking drop Dak and replace with Purdy.

For the Niner situation, I feel like I have a correlation issue in that why would I pick the entire SF offense but not Purdy? I feel like if I think that at least 3/4 of the niners offensive studs are good enough to take, then Purdy would have to also be worth taking since he’s throwing to all of them.

So now I’m thinking drop Dak and replace with Purdy.
The benefit of Dak is he has a potential of four games to Purdy's three. Plus CMC has more potential to take all the TD's from Purdy where Pollard hasn't been used that way to hurt Dak. If you think Dallas is getting to the Conf Championship game I keep him over Purdy. They get the same number of games and there is an outside chance Dallas beats SF to get him that extra game.

Users who are viewing this thread