What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Steve McNair Dead (2 Viewers)

idolizing athletes is a foolish thing to do outside of athletics. we know next to nothing about these people. we know in between the lines, but that's it.

this is what i put in the other thread. sticking to it.

A lot of judging going on in this thread without knowing all of the facts first. Some of you people are really sad. You guys don't know what kind of father this guy was or husband for that matter. Shame on some of you. We have no idea why he and his wife are seperated at this time. I love how fans seem to think they know everything about famous people because you watch the news or read a few internet articles.
Here are the facts that we know:-Steve McNair was married and had four kids-Steve McNair had a 20 year old girlfriend who was a waitress at Dave & Busters, who he went on several vacations with, who he spent a lot of nights with, and who he bought an Escalade for.-Steve McNair and his girlfriend got drunk two nights before he was murdered, and she got a dui and he was sent home in a taxi.-Steve McNair did something to the girlfriend that got her so mad that she went and bought a handgun and then murdered him and killed herself.I surmise from these facts that he was not a good father because:-By his actions he told his kids its okay to be married and have a girlfriend.-He spent a lot of quality time with the girlfriend that he could have been spending with his sons-He spent family money on the girlfriend that he could have been saving or spending on the family.-By his actions he told his sons its okay to drink and drive.I surmise from these facts that he was killed because:-She was a wacko, or-He told her that he was not divorcing his wife.If the first is true, then Steve made a bad choice in mistresses. If the second is true, then we know that his wife didnot approve of his affair, and she wanted him back. That makes him a bad husband for cheating on his wife.I am not judging him. The sad thing is McNair could have made good father and husband decisions 95% of the time, but because he made such bad choices the other 5% of the time, that is the thing that his kids and wife are going to remember the most.
So when married people seperate, the rule is that you are not allowed to spend money on your new partner or yourself and if you do that then you are a bad father? Okay now I got it.
In my opinion, if you are having trouble in your marriage and you separate, then you are looking for some space to decide whether or not you are going to try and get back together or you are going to get divorced. Then is not the time to go get a girlfriend. Even if it were okay with the wife (which seems doubtful) what message are you sending to your sons? Yes, he is a bad father if he is spending time and money on a girlfriend when he still is married.And if you are going to whine about people speaking without the facts, where is it factual that the McNair's were happily separated and the wife was okay with the new girlfriend arrangement?I believe when you say "I do" to someone you are making a commitment to them that you will be faithful to them and work as hard as you can to make the marriage work. If it doesn't work, and both parties have done everything they can, then you get a divorce. Too many people use the excuse that because the marriage isn't working, that it is alright to go and have an affair before the marriage is over. They are in effect ensuring that a divorce will happen. It is much more fun to have an affair than to try and work to save a marriage.Okay, I will get off my soapbox.
You make some valid points but to call the man a bad father is just wrong. You are judging this man by 1 thing in his life and calling him a bad father. That is just wrong. We have no idea what kind of parent he was. Since some of you guys want use the media as our source of imformation I listen to former players talk about him on siruis NFL radio yesterday and from what I heard he was a great Father and was very involved in his kids lives and coaching their little league sports teams and things like that. Now I'm not saying that makes him father of the year but it just goes to show that we should not judge this guys without knowing his life. It's fair to say he made some questionable decisions in his life as I'm sure most of us have but we don't know what kind of parent he was.

Let's simmer down, guys. The "facts" of the case are still being unravelled by the authorities. No need to get screamy with each other in the postings.

Mr. Black, the sarcastic apology to the whole board was provocative and unnecessary. Please refrain from incendiary posts such as that in future. If I need to, I'll suspend posting priviledges but I prefer to not do so.

MW

Mark,

You are right I apologize for that posting.

A lot of judging going on in this thread without knowing all of the facts first. Some of you people are really sad. You guys don't know what kind of father this guy was or husband for that matter. Shame on some of you. We have no idea why he and his wife are seperated at this time. I love how fans seem to think they know everything about famous people because you watch the news or read a few internet articles.
Here are the facts that we know:-Steve McNair was married and had four kids-Steve McNair had a 20 year old girlfriend who was a waitress at Dave & Busters, who he went on several vacations with, who he spent a lot of nights with, and who he bought an Escalade for.-Steve McNair and his girlfriend got drunk two nights before he was murdered, and she got a dui and he was sent home in a taxi.-Steve McNair did something to the girlfriend that got her so mad that she went and bought a handgun and then murdered him and killed herself.I surmise from these facts that he was not a good father because:-By his actions he told his kids its okay to be married and have a girlfriend.-He spent a lot of quality time with the girlfriend that he could have been spending with his sons-He spent family money on the girlfriend that he could have been saving or spending on the family.-By his actions he told his sons its okay to drink and drive.I surmise from these facts that he was killed because:-She was a wacko, or-He told her that he was not divorcing his wife.If the first is true, then Steve made a bad choice in mistresses. If the second is true, then we know that his wife didnot approve of his affair, and she wanted him back. That makes him a bad husband for cheating on his wife.I am not judging him. The sad thing is McNair could have made good father and husband decisions 95% of the time, but because he made such bad choices the other 5% of the time, that is the thing that his kids and wife are going to remember the most.
So when married people seperate, the rule is that you are not allowed to spend money on your new partner or yourself and if you do that then you are a bad father? Okay now I got it.
In my opinion, if you are having trouble in your marriage and you separate, then you are looking for some space to decide whether or not you are going to try and get back together or you are going to get divorced. Then is not the time to go get a girlfriend. Even if it were okay with the wife (which seems doubtful) what message are you sending to your sons? Yes, he is a bad father if he is spending time and money on a girlfriend when he still is married.And if you are going to whine about people speaking without the facts, where is it factual that the McNair's were happily separated and the wife was okay with the new girlfriend arrangement?I believe when you say "I do" to someone you are making a commitment to them that you will be faithful to them and work as hard as you can to make the marriage work. If it doesn't work, and both parties have done everything they can, then you get a divorce. Too many people use the excuse that because the marriage isn't working, that it is alright to go and have an affair before the marriage is over. They are in effect ensuring that a divorce will happen. It is much more fun to have an affair than to try and work to save a marriage.Okay, I will get off my soapbox.
You make some valid points but to call the man a bad father is just wrong. You are judging this man by 1 thing in his life and calling him a bad father. That is just wrong. We have no idea what kind of parent he was. Since some of you guys want use the media as our source of imformation I listen to former players talk about him on siruis NFL radio yesterday and from what I heard he was a great Father and was very involved in his kids lives and coaching their little league sports teams and things like that. Now I'm not saying that makes him father of the year but it just goes to show that we should not judge this guys without knowing his life. It's fair to say he made some questionable decisions in his life as I'm sure most of us have but we don't know what kind of parent he was.
We can agree to disagree. I don't think I am judging him on 1 thing but a series of decisions he has made over the last six months. By all accounts I have heard, McNair was a very down to earth guy who treated everyone well. I believe you when you say he was very involved in his kids lives and teams and such. But being a good father is not just that, but sacrificing for you kids as well. The act of dating a 20 year old over a six month period tells me that Steve did not want to sacrifice his personal enjoyment. This put him in a love triangle which ultimately led to violence which means he can no longer be there for his kids. That to me is the saddest part of the story.

Last edited by a moderator:
We can agree to disagree. I don't think I am judging him on 1 thing but a series of decisions he has made over the last six months. By all accounts I have heard, McNair was a very down to earth guy who treated everyone well. I believe you when you say he was very involved in his kids lives and teams and such. But being a good father is not just that, but sacrificing for you kids as well. The act of dating a 20 year old over a six month period tells me that Steve did not want to sacrifice his personal enjoyment. This put him in a love triangle which ultimately led to violence which means he can no longer be there for his kids. That to me is the saddest part of the story.

Again I'm not saying the guy was good father I'm saying we have no idea of the whole picture. I feel great sadness for the kids also.

Steve McNair, then still with the Titans, and Favre are Mississippi natives, and their teams were scheduled to play a preseason game in Nashville three days after Hurricane Katrina. Favre told McNair he was packing the Packers' plane with relief supplies for his state. That led McNair to ask his foundation director, Mike Mu, to arrange a relief drive in Nashville.

By the end of McNair's effort, 20 tractor-trailers had been filled with supplies. More than 800 volunteers helped out, and children brought their piggy banks. Fundraising efforts brought in more than $300,000.

A couple of weeks after the hurricane, the first trucks rolled into Mississippi and serviced areas that the Red Cross and the Federal Emergency Management Agency were not reaching. One of the trucks went to McNair's ranch, where his mom supervised the unloading process.

Mu and McNair realized they needed a distribution point, so they began the Steve McNair Distribution Center in Gulfport. That led to weekly deliveries to the center of goods purchased by McNair's foundation.

Later, Favre and McNair contributed to a $150,000 donation to the state's high school and youth football programs.
Sportingnews

Steve McNair, then still with the Titans, and Favre are Mississippi natives, and their teams were scheduled to play a preseason game in Nashville three days after Hurricane Katrina. Favre told McNair he was packing the Packers' plane with relief supplies for his state. That led McNair to ask his foundation director, Mike Mu, to arrange a relief drive in Nashville.

By the end of McNair's effort, 20 tractor-trailers had been filled with supplies. More than 800 volunteers helped out, and children brought their piggy banks. Fundraising efforts brought in more than $300,000.

A couple of weeks after the hurricane, the first trucks rolled into Mississippi and serviced areas that the Red Cross and the Federal Emergency Management Agency were not reaching. One of the trucks went to McNair's ranch, where his mom supervised the unloading process.

Mu and McNair realized they needed a distribution point, so they began the Steve McNair Distribution Center in Gulfport. That led to weekly deliveries to the center of goods purchased by McNair's foundation.

Later, Favre and McNair contributed to a $150,000 donation to the state's high school and youth football programs.
Sportingnews
Who's contending McNair wasn't charitable? :confused:

There are 2 or 3 fairly long posts about McNair's charitable activities earlier in the thread, but none in the last several pages. This one is actually a repost of something Bri posted earlier, with a link. The last few pages have centered almost completely on whether McNair was a bad father and husband. Seemed like an appropriate time to repost it. There's not a problem with that, is there?

More questions arise regarding Kazemi's ex-boyfriend.

More Questions Arise Regarding Kazemi's Ex-Boyfriend

Posted by Mike Florio on July 7, 2009 6:52 PM

In the wake of the shooting death of former Titans and Ravens quarterback Steve McNair, we received from many readers a link to a MySpace page containing comments that apparently were posted before the incident, on July 2, 2009 -- and that seemed to indicate that someone planned to kill McNair and his girlfriend, Sahel Kazemi.

The now-deleted account belonged to a person named Jett Jackson, who reportedly is a friend of Kazemi's on-again, off-again boyfriend, Keith Norfleet.

The entry read as follows: "F--k Steve McNair and he will be nobody in '09?" It also said, "R.I.P. Sahel Kazemi."

We previously have ignored the information, primarily because we couldn't reconcile the apparently organized nature of what might be a double murder made to look like a murder-suicide with the clearly disorganized ramblings that had been posted for the world to see.

(It's the same reason we didn't -- and still don't -- give much credence to the report that a woman accosted McNair at a restaurant on Friday night, claimed that he had given her a "roofie" last year, and vowed that her boyfriend would kill McNair. Common sense suggests that anyone with the ability to stage a murder-suicide realizes not to threaten to kill the victim of the murder in a public place.)

Per the Nashville City Paper, Jackson has come forward and spoken with police. Nashville Metro police spokesman Don Aaron said that Jackson posted the statements after learning of the deaths from a handheld device that indicated an incorrect posting date.

But there are other questions about Norfleet. Though he has been interviewed extensively by police and he supposedly isn't considered to be a suspect, he reportedly was with Kazemi in the hours after her Thursday night DUI arrest -- and Norfleet possibly was with her when she bought the gun that was found at the scene.

Meanwhile, a rap song created earlier this year by Norfleet has emerged. Titled "Closed Casket," it contains lyrics that at a minimum make us suspicious of the man who isn't a suspect.

Here's the key verse:

If you ever do it again ##### I'm not rapping

I'm getting a clip and clapping and I'm not laughing

They're wrapping you up for your little trip to the morgue

While I'm preparing for my trip to the shore,

Don't ignore me, I'm not lying, I couldn't be more honest

If you ever do it again, you'll die, I promise.

The full song is right here.

That said, police repeatedly have said that Norfleet isn't considered a suspect.

Meanwhile, something about all of this continues to stink to us.

Titans to open stadium for McNair fans

The Tennessee Titans are opening LP Field Wednesday and Thursday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Fans can leave personal messages in a book that will be given to the McNair family. Video boards will show McNair highlights and a photo mural of his career with the Titans will be on display. The ticket office also will be accepting donations to the Steve McNair Foundation.

McNair and his girlfriend Sahel Kazemi were found shot to death Saturday. A memorial service for McNair is being held Thursday night in Nashville. There will be a funeral service Saturday at the University of Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg with a private burial in his hometown of Mt. Olive.

dwashington said:
More questions arise regarding Kazemi's ex-boyfriend.

More Questions Arise Regarding Kazemi's Ex-Boyfriend

Posted by Mike Florio on July 7, 2009 6:52 PM

In the wake of the shooting death of former Titans and Ravens quarterback Steve McNair, we received from many readers a link to a MySpace page containing comments that apparently were posted before the incident, on July 2, 2009 -- and that seemed to indicate that someone planned to kill McNair and his girlfriend, Sahel Kazemi.

The now-deleted account belonged to a person named Jett Jackson, who reportedly is a friend of Kazemi's on-again, off-again boyfriend, Keith Norfleet.

The entry read as follows: "F--k Steve McNair and he will be nobody in '09?" It also said, "R.I.P. Sahel Kazemi."

We previously have ignored the information, primarily because we couldn't reconcile the apparently organized nature of what might be a double murder made to look like a murder-suicide with the clearly disorganized ramblings that had been posted for the world to see.

(It's the same reason we didn't -- and still don't -- give much credence to the report that a woman accosted McNair at a restaurant on Friday night, claimed that he had given her a "roofie" last year, and vowed that her boyfriend would kill McNair. Common sense suggests that anyone with the ability to stage a murder-suicide realizes not to threaten to kill the victim of the murder in a public place.)

Per the Nashville City Paper, Jackson has come forward and spoken with police. Nashville Metro police spokesman Don Aaron said that Jackson posted the statements after learning of the deaths from a handheld device that indicated an incorrect posting date.

But there are other questions about Norfleet. Though he has been interviewed extensively by police and he supposedly isn't considered to be a suspect, he reportedly was with Kazemi in the hours after her Thursday night DUI arrest -- and Norfleet possibly was with her when she bought the gun that was found at the scene.

Meanwhile, a rap song created earlier this year by Norfleet has emerged. Titled "Closed Casket," it contains lyrics that at a minimum make us suspicious of the man who isn't a suspect.

Here's the key verse:

If you ever do it again ##### I'm not rapping

I'm getting a clip and clapping and I'm not laughing

They're wrapping you up for your little trip to the morgue

While I'm preparing for my trip to the shore,

Don't ignore me, I'm not lying, I couldn't be more honest

If you ever do it again, you'll die, I promise.

The full song is right here.

That said, police repeatedly have said that Norfleet isn't considered a suspect.

Meanwhile, something about all of this continues to stink to us.
I've been wondering why there wasn't more interest/questions regarding the ex-boyfriend. I'm glad to see that they're checking into it closer.

fatness said:
Jason Wood said:
There are 2 or 3 fairly long posts about McNair's charitable activities earlier in the thread, but none in the last several pages. This one is actually a repost of something Bri posted earlier, with a link. The last few pages have centered almost completely on whether McNair was a bad father and husband. Seemed like an appropriate time to repost it. There's not a problem with that, is there?
Not at all, just making sure you weren't mixing metaphors.

Nashville Metro Police News Conference at 2:45 pm central time...can be heard on www.1045thezone.com...with police chief following it on the radio.

from TMZ:

Medical Examiner: McNair's Girlfriend Fired GunPosted Jul 8th 2009 1:46PM by TMZ StaffWe just spoke with Tennessee assistant medical examiner Dr. Feng Li, who tells us preliminary test results in the Steve McNair death show Sahel Kazemi fired the gun that killed both of them.Feng -- who conducted autopsies on the two bodies -- told us he was able to make the determination from the crime scene investigation, police interviews, autopsy findings and preliminary lab results -- which include a gunshot residue test.

listening to news conference:

stating that mcnair was sleeping. shot him in right temple first...then twice in chest and again in the left temple. she had learned that she wasn't the only "other woman" and had tried to follow an unnamed person a couple of days ago.

no drugs at sceen. Norfleet is no longer a suspect.

confiming that this was a murder-suicide because of slight gunshot residue on left hand of Kazemi. she had paid $100 for a 9mm.

**** imo, we will never know exactly what happened ****

listening to news conference:stating that mcnair was sleeping. shot him in right temple first...then twice in chest and again in the left temple. she had learned that she wasn't the only "other woman" and had tried to follow an unnamed person a couple of days ago.no drugs at sceen. Norfleet is no longer a suspect. confiming that this was a murder-suicide because of slight gunshot residue on left hand of Kazemi. she had paid $100 for a 9mm.**** imo, we will never know exactly what happened ****
Hasn't it been reported she was shot in the right temple? Wouldn't the residue be on her right hand?

listening to news conference:stating that mcnair was sleeping. shot him in right temple first...then twice in chest and again in the left temple. she had learned that she wasn't the only "other woman" and had tried to follow an unnamed person a couple of days ago.no drugs at sceen. Norfleet is no longer a suspect. confiming that this was a murder-suicide because of slight gunshot residue on left hand of Kazemi. she had paid $100 for a 9mm.**** imo, we will never know exactly what happened ****
Hasn't it been reported she was shot in the right temple? Wouldn't the residue be on her right hand?
exactly... there was only residue on her left palm.

From the Tennessean Newspaper:

July 8, 2009Police confirm murder-suicide in Steve McNair caseBy Kate HowardTHE TENNESSEAN UPDATED 3:35 P.M.Police have determined that Sahel Kazemi murdered former Titans quarterback Steve McNair last weekend with four shots while he was asleep on the couch, then sat down next to him and shot herself in the temple.Metro Police Chief Ronal Serpas said at a press conference this afternoon that their interviews with Kazemi's friends and coworkers showed that in the last five to seven days of her life, the 20-year-old felt her life was unraveling.She had recently saw signs that McNair may be involved with another woman, and she might have been worried about making rent payments and payments on two cars, including a Cadillac Escalade registered in both her and McNair's name.“We do believe there was evidence that she was spinning out of control,” Serpas said.Serpas said Kazemi shot McNair in the right temple. That was followed quickly with two shots to the chest from about two to four feet away. Then she shot him in the left temple, which Serpas said was a "contact shot" within two inches from his head.Then she sat next to him on the couch, Serpas said, in such a way that police believe she tried to stage her suicide to fall into his lap. She shot herself in the temple. Police think she fell into McNair's lap, then gravity pulled her to the floor.According to preliminary results from the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, the .9-mm pistol found underneath Kazemi's body was the same that killed both of them. While blood contaminated the gunshot residue test, there was trace evidence of residue on her left hand.Serpas said Kazemi had become very distraught, and on two occasions told friends and associates that her life was all messed up and she "was going to end it all." Several things were overwhelming her, including financial problems, Serpas said. Her roommate was moving out, meaning her rent payment was about to increase. She was also making payments on the Escalade she co-owned with McNair.Serpas said Kazemi saw McNair with another woman days before the murder and attempted to follow the woman, whom police said they talked to but Serpas did not identify.Police also believe Kazemi purchased the gun in the parking lot of Dave & Buster's, where she worked, in the middle of a shift. Serpas said there was no evidence that anyone else was involved, or that the crime scene had been tampered with by the men who found their bodies and called police that morning.Serpas said they did not exact time of the shooting, but believed it happened sometime after 1 a.m. or 1:45 a.m. The next-door neighbor was not home that night, and arrived home between 6 a.m. and 6:30 a.m., and heard nothing after that.Serpas said there were no drugs found at the scene or drug paraphernalia, but were awaiting toxicology reports on the bodies.REPORTED EARLIERA state medical examiner has said that preliminary testing from the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation points to the likely conclusion of murder-suicide in the deaths of Steve McNair and Sahel Kazemi.Feng Li, the assistant medical examiner who conducted the autopsies, said he will wait for the investigation to be closed before he completes Kazemi’s death certificate to reflect that she died of suicide.“The results were very consistent in supporting our decision,” Li said.Gunshot residue and ballistics testing are also consistent with a ruling of murder-suicide, Li said.“With the lab tests to be obtained combined with the autopsy findings, we will put a final opinion on the death certificate,” Li said. Kazemi and McNair were found shot to death in a condo off Second Avenue on the afternoon of July 4. A semi-automatic pistol was found under Kazemi’s body. Metro police said the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms traced the gun purchase back to Kazemi through a private person.Metro Police Chief Ronal Serpas is scheduled to discuss the results of the ballistics and gunshot residue testing at a 2:45 press conference. The Tennessean plans to covers this press conference live on Tennessean.com.
July 8, 2009Kazemi was selling furniture on July 2By Kate HowardTHE TENNESSEAN On the day of her DUI and the day police said she bought a gun, Sahel Kazemi posted all her furniture to Craigslist under a headline: "NICE FURNITURE. TV, COUCH, COFFE TABLE AND MORE - $1 (hermitage)."The cell number listed in the ad matches the number police got from Kazemi, 20, on July 2 when she was arrested. It was later that day that police said she bought the gun that was found beneath her body.Family members have said she was getting rid of her furniture because she was planning to move in with McNair. She listed a flat-screen TV, couch, dining room set and coffee table for sale.She had been arrested early that morning and charged with DUI, driving a Cadillac Escalade titled to her and McNair. McNair came to bail her out of jail later that morning.

Why does FBG always have to read more into the situation than there really is?1. He gave everything he had on the field.2. He gave back to his community off the field.3. He was sleeping with multiple girls, one of those multiple girls killed him.Case Closed.

The last article posted explaines that blood contaminated the residue test and they found traces on her left palm. Used 2 hands to shoot him...one for herself?

Why does FBG always have to read more into the situation than there really is?1. He gave everything he had on the field.2. He gave back to his community off the field.3. He was sleeping with multiple girls, one of those multiple girls killed him.Case Closed.
Like that just happens every day :rolleyes:

Oh, I'm pretty sure we know that she thought she was going to be the next Mrs. McNair and when she realized that was a pipedream, she lost it.

Why does FBG always have to read more into the situation than there really is?
Reminds me of when all the Armchair Detectives came out of the woodwork during Spygate. Where's Matt Walsh these days?

I don't know if Whitlock can really say with certainty he wasn't there to raise his children. A retired athlete can afford to manage his time so he can go to Vegas, trips, etc and still raise his kids. It's probably no different than when he was in the NFL.

HoTnickZ said:
I don't know if Whitlock can really say with certainty he wasn't there to raise his children. A retired athlete can afford to manage his time so he can go to Vegas, trips, etc and still raise his kids. It's probably no different than when he was in the NFL.
Last night I fell asleep on my own couch, my wife told me to go to bed.Wrong Place, Wrong Place...this was avoidable.

The Associated Press reports authorities say former NFL QB Steve McNair had a blood-alcohol level twice the legal limit when he was shot to death.

Just saw this on MFL.......twice the legal limit for what I wonder....Driving? Was he driving? If he was not driving not sure this matters.....

Darker Knight said:
Just saw this on MFL.......twice the legal limit for what I wonder....Driving? Was he driving? If he was not driving not sure this matters.....
Brian Kenney just reported this and did add that it should be pointed out that he was in his condo, not driving. Just a measure of impairment, I guess.

One year after this tragic event...

Seem like much longer.

An interesting article about the circumstances and the people involved:

The woman forever tied to Steve McNair

Former Titans QB Steve McNair was shot and killed July 4, 2009

By Elizabeth Merrill

ESPN.com

Archive

NASHVILLE -- They gathered in a parking lot long past nightfall, after the last karaoke singer stumbled over the final note and the signs flipped to CLOSED. It was fitting, that Sahel Kazemi's candlelight vigil would be held in the backdrop of Opryland, where the stars gravitate. Kazemi always said that someday she'd be famous.

The moon was full; the Tennessee air hung thick. Roughly 30 people formed a circle last summer and, one-by-one, told stories of the girl they knew as Jenni.

Sahel Kazemi

She shopped at Bebe -- her closet was full of the youth-hip clubbing clothes -- listened to R&B and goofed off too much at work. She had dreams, which, depending on whom you talked to, ranged from flight attendant to interpreter to wife and mother.

She wore pink shorts and white-metal earrings the night of July 3, 2009, made plans to watch fireworks, and checked to make sure a friend got to her vacation safely. That was Jenni, friends say. Always looking out for the ones she loved. And a few hours later, police say, she took a 9-mm semi-automatic pistol and pumped four bullets into former Tennessee Titans great Steve McNair, then turned the gun on herself.

A year has passed, an investigation has closed, and about 239,000 accounts have been published about the events of July 4, 2009. But nobody, really, is any closer to knowing who Sahel Kazemi was, or how a 20-year-old waitress could, in a matter of seconds, shake an entire community.

How do you put a face to an over-exposed, unexplained picture? Do you start with the TMZ snapshots that show Kazemi as McNair's love-struck mistress, in a bathing suit, on an exotic vacation? Do you find a smattering of grieving friends and relatives who slam doors, shun the media, but quietly believe, 12 months later, that the truth is something entirely different?

Maybe you begin where the journey ends, in a cemetery 1½ miles from her old high school in Orange Park, Fla., down a hill, away from the roar of the highway. Kazemi's final resting place is near a tree, a World War II Marine, and the caretaker's office. People stop by here, leaving $10 potted impatiens and plastic flowers, lingering long enough to gaze at the inscription.

It says, "My little angel."

Her early years

Azadeh Kazemi is on the phone on a late Sunday night in Australia, trying to go to bed. Only she can't sleep. She's done maybe one interview in the days since her sister's death, and isn't in the mood to do another. On this particular day in late June, it's the anniversary of another sad day in the Kazemi family. The day their mother Ghodsyeh died a violent death in their native Iran.

She is careful with the information she passes along about her family. She knows that whatever she says, it's going to come out sounding wrong.

"I added you to Facebook," she says, "so you can have a look at us, my sisters and my family. We're just like normal people in a bad situation."

They grew up in Tehran, Iran, their lives divided into two sections. Part II started the day Ghodsyeh died more than a decade ago. She was a kind-hearted woman who sacrificed everything to raise her five kids. She went to visit another daughter, Soheyla, in Iran one day, and took 9-year-old Sahel along. Sahel was playing and didn't want to leave, so Ghodsyeh went home alone. She was murdered in a robbery/home invasion.

Police came to the house to investigate. When they found out the family wasn't Muslim, Azadeh says, they quickly left.

"The government is so bad," Azadeh says. "If you're not what they want you to be, you have no rights."

The Kazemis practiced the Baha'i faith, which was founded in 19th century Persia. Islam does not recognize the religion, and Baha'is have been persecuted in Iran for decades. Azadeh couldn't go to a university in Iran, so she moved to Australia, and Ghodsyeh and Sahel were supposed to follow her. Their bags were packed the day Ghodsyeh died.

The family always believed that fate spared Sahel that day, even if the happy-go-lucky tomboy was too young to grasp or appreciate it. Things never seem to rattle Sahel as much the others; she was the one who comforted the rest of them. According to one friend's account, she was taken out to ice cream the day of her mother's service.

"I talk about death all the time, especially after my mom passed away," Azadeh says. "She never did that. We had long conversations. She'd say, 'When you're dead, you're dead.'"

Settling in the United States

Two requests for Kazemi's immigration papers through the Freedom of Information Act produced a limited outline and 27 blank pages -- information withheld for privacy reasons. The documents say she left Iran for Turkey, and spent a couple of years there before arriving in the United States on Aug. 29, 2002. She is listed as an Iranian refugee. The file includes a few washed-out photos of a teenager on the cusp of massive change.

She was 13, didn't speak English and settled into Jacksonville with her sister, Soheyla, who also relocated to the U.S. and was now her guardian. Kazemi's friends say she never talked about her father. References to him were redacted throughout her immigration documents.

By all accounts, she quickly acclimated herself to the life of a typical American teenager. She hung out at malls and stared at boys. Before long, she could speak three languages -- Farsi, Turkish and English. But the diversity didn't necessarily endear her to her classmates. A friend of Kazemi's says she got picked on in school, and never really fit in.

She bounced from Englewood High School in Jacksonville to Orange Park. Officials at both schools didn't return calls to ESPN.com. In a police document, her nephew, Farzin Abdi, described Kazemi as having "behavioral problems" in high school but said she started to settle down when she met her boyfriend Keith Norfleet.

Norfleet is the man who could answer just about every question relating to Kazemi's high school days. She dropped out of school and left Jacksonville at the age of 16 to be with him in Nashville. Norfleet, now a manager at a White Castle, declined interview requests with ESPN, eventually sending a series of texts last week saying he was sorry. He's sick of the media, sick of defending a ghost. According to his MySpace page, he got married recently.

He eventually agrees to call on Thursday. He never calls.

Her life at work

Before the floods raged through Nashville this spring, and the exit to the Opry Mills Mall was cordoned off by trucks and security in orange-and-yellow vests, Dave & Buster's restaurant was a bubbling pot of youthful hope and aspirations covered in black polos and nametags. They were in their teens and early 20s. They served food, jockeyed for tips, and occasionally frequented the bars together when their shifts ended.

To this sect, Sahel Kazemi was simply known as "Jenni," the pretty girl who smiled and joked around enough to melt an eight-hour shift into something far more bearable, but also spent a good amount of work time jabbering.

"She didn't want to have any down time, time to be bored," says Courtney Carter, a former co-worker and friend. "Even if she went out the previous night, and had very little sleep, she came in with all this energy.

"She got on some peoples' nerves because she was always joking about something. Sometimes, when you're not having a good day, the last thing you want to hear is somebody super bubbly. [but] this was the first job I wanted to stay at because I really felt like the people I worked with were family. Everybody was so close. Jenni … I was probably closest to her."

The place had its perks, too. There was a different energy when a local athlete or celebrity dropped by. Every waiter and waitress wanted to help because it always meant bigger tips, especially if it was a Tennessee Titan.

And Steve McNair had a definite generous streak in him. According to credit card receipts obtained through probate documents, McNair's transactions often involved large tabs and tips that well exceeded 50 percent. One day in December 2008, before Christmas, the retired Titans quarterback plopped down in Kazemi's area.

He never really left.

Maybe it was somewhat endearing, that Kazemi and her young crew weren't awestruck by McNair. "We would be at lunch," says ex-roommate Emily Andrews, "and they would come up [and say], 'Thank you so much, we love you, Steve.' I always thought it was over the top. But he was always that big of a deal."

Before McNair, Kazemi prided herself on her independence, that she would work two jobs to pay her bills, that she left Jacksonville and never looked back. But by May 2009, it was clear that attitude had shifted. She was working less, and depending more on McNair. He put a down payment on a Cadillac Escalade for her. She got swallowed up in the massive payments.

Andrews sat her friend down, said she was worried, told her she was creating a lifestyle that wasn't secure. Jenni didn't want to hear it. She asked her what she wanted to do with her life. Kazemi didn't know.

Long before July 4, Kazemi was skeptical that McNair would be part of her future. She spotted another woman leaving the condo in June and followed her. She told her friends she felt foolish and embarrassed.

But it was clear Kazemi couldn't get McNair out of her head. In late June, she poured her heart out to a customer at Dave & Busters, telling a complete stranger about her affair.

She began to see other men that summer, but her heart always led her back to McNair. She called her sister Azadeh in Australia. You know that Britney Spears song "Womanizer?" she asked. That song reminded her of Steve.

"She was cheating, too," Azadeh says. "She said, 'I was faithful to him. If he's going to do that, I'm going to do the same.'"

The final day

The last hours of Kazemi's life are well-documented with the help of more than 200 pages of interviews, search warrants and text messages provided by the Nashville Police Department. Baby I might have a break down Im so stressed, she texted McNair at 10:05 on the morning of July 3.

Eight hours earlier, she was far more cryptic. Im gonna have all of u soon.

She called a handful of friends that day, making Fourth of July plans that wouldn't be kept. She tried to sell some furniture on Craig's list, went to work and clocked out early, and texted McNair that she had to be with him that night.

One of her final calls was to Lakresia Polite, a friend whom she'd planned on going out with that night. Polite said she was in Memphis, and that she couldn't go out.

Kazemi, Polite says, told her that's OK. She'd call Steve and see what he was doing.

The next afternoon, Polite's phone started ringing. Have you heard from Jenni? The TV stations were reporting that McNair had been shot, and that a woman was found with him.

"From that moment on, it was panic mode," Polite says. "When I finally found out it was her, I couldn't do anything but cry. It wasn't just the fact that my friend had died. It was almost guilt for me.

"I'm thinking in my head that if I had gone home like I said, Jenni would've been with me. She wouldn't have been with Steve."

But police believe the conclusion was inevitable. Overwhelmed by mounting bills, a DUI she'd received two days earlier and the realization that McNair was seeing another woman, police say Kazemi shot McNair twice in the chest, twice in the head, then killed herself.

According to the investigation, traces of gun-powder residue were found on Kazemi's left hand; the Bryco/Jennings pistol was found underneath her head. A shift manager at Dave & Buster's who worked with Kazemi on the last night of her life told police that normally, Kazemi was upbeat. But in the hours before the murder, something was different. She rolled her eyes when asked about McNair's promise to divorce his wife Mechelle. Kazemi, according to a police statement, told her manager, "My life is just s--t and I should end it!"

McNair was a local legend -- he came within inches of giving Nashville a Super Bowl championship in 2000 -- and the media's fixation on his death reached Tiger Woods proportions. Former police chief Ronal Serpas moved swiftly. The cold-case unit, a collection of Nashville's best, was brought in to work the case. Pat Postiglione, a well-respected veteran homicide detective, was among those working the investigation.

The case didn't officially close until December.

Questions linger

Vincent Hill sits at a back table at Demos' Restaurant in downtown Nashville, rubbing a blue highlighter against a stack of papers. He is an ex-cop who still wears Erik Estrada shades, still has a thin blue line coursing through him. He spots two police officers settling in for dinner. He notes that one of the guys is a rookie.

By day, Hill investigates fraud for a credit-card company. At night, he pores through police documents and tries to debunk their ruling on the McNair case. Roughly a week after the murder, Hill went on Facebook and contacted Kazemi's sisters. He typed something that they no doubt were searching to see. He said he didn't think Sahel murdered McNair.

He points to the item in a police report that lists McNair having only $6 in his pocket when his blood-stained body was found. Hill says he's talked to some of McNair's friends who say the quarterback thought he was broke if he didn't have a couple thousand dollars rolled together in a rubber band in his pocket.

He wonders about inconsistencies in the statements by Adrian Gilliam, the man who sold Kazemi the gun and is serving a 2 ½-year sentence in a federal prison for being a felon in possession of a firearm. Gilliam told police that on the night of McNair's murder, he was with his friend Tony Smith, who works at "Bail You Out Bonding." Smith, in a separate police statement, said he wasn't with Gilliam the night of July 3. Gilliam also exchanged numerous texts with Kazemi on July 3, but told police he initially lied to police about his relationship with Kazemi because his fiancée was present in the first interview.

Hill also wonders why Wayne Neely, the friend who found McNair dead in his downtown condo, called at least three people and waited about 45 minutes before a friend eventually called 911.

Don Aaron, a spokesman for the police department, says Nashville PD stands by its investigation, and offered up Hill's personnel file. It's more than 100 pages long, and features the highs and lows of Hill's 4 ½ years on the force, the reprimands, the commendations, the disciplinary action pending over a high-speed chase and accusations that Hill disobeyed orders.

Hill says he resigned from the force to spend more time with his daughter, and that he isn't doing this to sell books or besmirch his former employer.

"I was a very proactive officer," Hill says. "I wasn't just going in at 7 a.m. til 3 in the afternoon and sitting at Waffle House.

"I think my record speaks for itself."

Hill presented a complaint to a grand jury panel last month, requesting that the McNair case be reopened. He says he pulled out a photo of Kazemi holding a puppy, and an 8x10 shot of McNair in a barbecue apron, smiling proudly in front of his grill. He says he told the panel they're why he's here.

A few days later, Hill was informed that there was not enough new evidence to reopen the case. It was the news that the Nashville Police department expected to hear, and confirmed what Chief Steve Anderson described as hundreds of hours devoted to solving the case.

"Without any doubt," Anderson said in a statement, "I remain confident in the murder-suicide conclusion."

But a year later, Kazemi's family and friends refuse to believe she'd shoot someone, let alone kill herself. Andrews says guns "kind of wigged her out." And questions linger in unlikely places. Cotina Feazell, McNair's high school sweetheart and the mother of his first child, Steve Jr., says she wants the case re-opened.

"I can't see how Kazemi did this perfect shooting for one thing," she says, "first time using a gun. I think there's much missing in this case."

After McNair's death

Steve McNair died, and the world around him shook. His restaurant, Gridiron9, closed down on July 4 and never reopened.

Vent Gordon, who was riding with McNair and Kazemi on the night she got her DUI last summer, lost his job as head chef at Gridiron9. He answers the door of his apartment wearing a tattered Tennessee Titans cap with the No. 9 scribbled in marker. He calls it Steve's cap. Gordon says he was one of McNair's closest friends, and sometimes, he hears him talking when he sleeps.

He stands on the porch for roughly 10 minutes, then declines to do an interview. He has to consult with a lawyer. He says he's been harassed by the media for a year, had to change cars and residences, had to escape.

Others have slipped off the grid, too. His buddy Wayne Neely quit his job at the Nashville Sporting Goods Store, which was jolting because Neely, a former co-worker says, had been there for 18 years. "He was a legend here," a man behind the counter says. Neely didn't return messages left by ESPN, and has avoided the media for 12 months. Nobody knows how hard this has hit him. He still lives in a peaceful neighborhood with a big front yard and a dog that yips when someone knocks at the door. He's just rarely seen.

They didn't think McNair would die, not like this, not at 36. Nobody prepared for this. McNair had no will, and his estate is still tied up in probate court. His widow Mechelle McNair, mother of two of his four boys, was named administer of the estate. (Mechelle has declined interview requests from ESPN). Feazell wouldn't comment on the probate case, confirming only that nothing has been resolved.

She says Steve Jr.'s pain goes beyond lawyers and wills. He was a star prep receiver in Mississippi before his dad was murdered, was being recruited by Division I schools and was just getting his share of 1-on-1 time with Steve, who'd recently retired from football.

Now McNair is gone, and the pressure has shifted to Steve Jr., who looks and sounds like his dad so much that sometimes, Cotina says to herself, Steve McNair Sr., you better get up out of here and leave me alone.

But the comparisons will have to wait, for at least a year or two. Steve Jr. is going to a junior college.

"People just don't understand it's been really hard on him," Feazell says. "Since July 4 of last year, not one day has gone by where we haven't heard Steve McNair Sr.'s name every single day."

Sahel's family

Of course it's hard. In the days after McNair's murder, the Kazemi family received threats, many of them oozing with racial hate. Azadeh fielded some of them a world away from her Facebook account in Australia.

Losing a little sister is hard, she says. Reading about the sordid details, some of which she refuses to believe are true, is maddening. Azadeh used to fight it, and hope that someday, they'd know the Sahel she knew, the smiling little girl who tried to be strong for the rest of them, the kid whom her family believes was spared for a reason. Sahel's DVD collection arrived in Australia shortly after her death. It was all cartoons and comedies, because, Azadeh says, Sahel didn't like the scary stuff.

One year later, Azadeh feels as if she's in a movie she can't turn off. She's tired of being judged, tired of defending, tired of everything.

"I don't care anymore what anyone else thinks because she's gone," she says. "For me, it's like waking up from a dream. She's gone, and everything has changed. I don't just think of it on the Fourth of July. For us, it's every minute, every second."

It's 12:30 a.m. in Australia on Monday, and Azadeh politely says goodbye and hangs up the phone. It's time to let her sleep.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=5347315

Users who are viewing this thread