What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RIP **** Butkus (1 Viewer)

Before my time, and as a Giants fan I'm compelled to say LT, but Butkus is the only legitimate name in that discussion of best defensive player of all time. Certainly the best middle linebacker ever, RIP to a guy with a life well lived.

Read his wiki, amazing to see the Bears nickel and dimed him causing a rift.

Last edited:
The most fearsome / menacing tackler in history. Also had 22 career interceptions. Only two winning seasons and no playoffs, but came to play every Sunday. I have the privilege to say I got to watch him live on TV in the 60s and 70s. Other than Mike Curtis he was my favorite LB and that’s only because I am a Colts fan.

Last edited:
80 and despite a very violent NFL career that resulted in many lower body surgeries, there is no evidence he suffered from CTE. We have no idea how he supplemented his body but he played prior to the steroid and HGH era. Perhaps a correlation.

this play is hilarious

Honestly I was a little boy when he was on the back half of his career. Have a lot more memories of reading about him than watching him play (I devoured NFL history books in junior high.) Loved his Miller Lite commercials with Bubba Smith.

Ferocious, volent tackler. Played on terrible teams throughout his career but what a great competitor. Such a legend, synonymous with the Monsters of Midway on the same level as Halas-McCaskey family.

Legend...icon...larger than life...whatever other word/phrase that describes someone who is truly part of the history/fabric of their sport both on and off the field...you have to be a certain age to truly understand how revered/feared he was...his name is more than a name as it meant something more when you heard it because when you heard the word Butkus you knew it meant tough, mean and intense...I don't think I ever heard anyone say anything bad about him...almost as impressive as his football career was the list of TV shows he appeared in...he was in episodes of Emergency, McMillan and Wife, Police Story, the Six Million Dollar Man, The Rockford Files, Rich Man Poor Man, Wonder Woman, Taxi, Fantasy Island, Vegas, Magnum PI, Matt Houston, The Greatest American Hero, Simon and Simon, The Love Boat. Murder She Wrote, Night Court, Matlock, Growing Pains, Kate & Allie, MacGyver and Coach...not sure anyone will ever come close to that line-up...finally, the fact Rocky Balboa named his dog after him is all you really need to know.

The Bears won the title in 1963. Two years later, they have the 3rd and 4th picks in the draft. They select Butkus and Sayers. Bears played no postseason games with them.

The Bears won the title in 1963. Two years later, they have the 3rd and 4th picks in the draft. They select Butkus and Sayers. Bears played no postseason games with them.
That will happen when you have the likes of Billy Wade, Rudy Bukich, Jack Concannon, and Bobby Douglass as your QB.

That will happen when you have the likes of Billy Wade, Rudy Bukich, Jack Concannon, and Bobby Douglass as your QB.

Back in the day when you bought a pack of football cards I think 1/2 of every pack was either Bobby Douglass and/or Greg Landry.

Heard a clip with Urlacher on the radio yesterday...he said there will never be another **** Butkus because the way he played is now illegal...I had forgotten that he was also part of those classic Miller Lite commercials:

Back in the day when you bought a pack of football cards I think 1/2 of every pack was either Bobby Douglass and/or Greg Landry.
Mike Phipps here.

Mike Phipps here.

100%...I think Landry, Douglass and Phipps are actually the same person.

Mike Phipps here.

all three were on the Bears, so you may be on to something.

Mike Phipps here.

I forgot Landry had a season with the Bears (as well as three with the Colts)...always think of him as a Lion...also, for a name everyone remembers from that era his stats are far worse than I thought they were.

Last edited:

Mike Phipps here.

I forgot Landry has a season with the Bears (as well as three with the Colts)...always think of him as a Lion...also, for a name everyone remembers from that era his stats are far worse than I thought they were.
Look at the 1971 NFL season page on football reference, it’s amazing how the stats have evolved from then to now.

Hell, I remember that!!! Damn, I'm an old fart to remember that and you are too, LOL.

Mike Phipps here.

Kind of like multiple aliases at FBGs.

Mike Phipps here.

I forgot Landry had a season with the Bears (as well as three with the Colts)...always think of him as a Lion...also, for a name everyone remembers from that era his stats are far worse than I thought they were.
First Colts game I ever attended was in September 1979 in Cleveland. Bert Jones was hurt (as usual) and Landry was the Colts QB. I remember when the Colts blocked a punt for a TD and I was up yelling in glee, but then a whiskey bottle hit me in the head and bounced on the concrete without breaking. I didn't say a word the rest of the game. Colts kicker Toni Linhart missed 3 field goals and the Colts lost 13-10. I remember how excited I was as I entered the stadium. Seeing the Colts in the blue uniforms made it even more vivid. We had 50 yard line seats, but too low IMO, about 3 rows up. I went with a life long buddy and drove my piece of crap Chevy Vega station wagon. I was 20 he was 17. We drove from Lexington Ky to Cleveland. Got a hotel downtown Cleveland. I woke up in the morning and Gary had placed a joint in my mouth while sleeping and took a picture. There is another part of the story but I can't repeat in this forum.

Short video of the game highlights. Glad it is on YouTube. I just watched for the first time.

Last edited:

Mike Phipps here.

First Colts game I ever attended was in September 1979 in Cleveland. Bert Jones was hurt (as usual) and Landry was the Colts QB. I remember when the Colts blocked a punt for a TD and I was up yelling in glee, but then a whiskey bottle it me in the head and bounced on the concrete without breaking. I didn't say a word the rest of the game. Colts kicker Toni Linhart missed 3 field goals and the Colts lost 13-10. I remember how excited I was as I entered the stadium. Seeing the Colts in the blue uniforms made it even more vivid. We had 50 yard line seats, but too low IMO, about 3 rows up. I went with a life long buddy and drove my piece of crap Chevy Vega station wagon. I was nineteen, he was sixteen. We drove from Lexington Ky to Cleveland. Got a hotel downtown Cleveland. I woke up in the morning and Gary had placed a joint in my mouth while sleeping and took a picture.

This is one of my all-time favorite posts...could be the plot for Dazed and Confused part 2.

Users who are viewing this thread