What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stevan Ridley Support Group (1 Viewer)

Vereen is no way an every down back in the NFL and Bellicheck knows that. He will be way more effective for a longer period of time if they limit his touches to around 15 or so. GUy has no fear I will say that though, he really lowered his pads on the goal line on one play in particular

I'm a Ridley owner as well (also own Vereen and Bolden). My big question is: How/why in the world did he fumble?? Nobody really touched him!

For a guy who makes his dough by scoring TDs and not by catching passes, I think he's too much of a risk of benching until he starts strapping the football to his arms. Figure it out, Stevan!!

I'm far from a Ridley fan but I'm buying low. He has a role in a prolific offense. Vereen won't avg this many touches all year.
why do you think this?
It's Bellichick. He's not going to scrap everything over one game. Ridley will still have a role. I've been a Vereen guy all along. 20 touches a game doesnt seem likely. 12-15 does. He will still do damage in that range.

Vereen is no way an every down back in the NFL and Bellicheck knows that. He will be way more effective for a longer period of time if they limit his touches to around 15 or so. GUy has no fear I will say that though, he really lowered his pads on the goal line on one play in particular
He is a every down back.

No matter which way this turns out, at least we'll have our answer pretty soon - in four days vs. the Jets. I have zero confidence Ridley comes back, but I really don't have anyone else to start, so I'm going to have to roll him out and see what happens. But if you have another startable option for Week 2, I would bench Ridley and see how this shakes out. The Jets did a pretty good job of stopping the run against Tampa anyway.

As far as trades, I'd hold for now as a Ridley owner. Might not be a bad idea to try and get him cheap if you don't have him already tho.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hadn't watched Vereen much but read a lot about him in the offseason. Because all of the talk about the way the Pats intended to use him I expected him to be, and play, smaller. He's not small, well, at least he's not thin. He looked more like an every down back, frame wise, than Ridley, IMHO.

just saw this:

by Michael Hurcomb | CBSSports.com
(1:40 pm ET) Patriots running back Shane Vereen broke a small bone in his wrist on the first play of Week 1 at Buffalo, according to FOX Sports. Vereen, who rushed for 101 yards, is scheduled for surgery Monday and will miss a few weeks.

Vereen played the entire game with the injury Sunday, but he experienced numbness afterward because the bone he broke sits on a nerve.

just saw this:

by Michael Hurcomb | CBSSports.com

(1:40 pm ET) Patriots running back Shane Vereen broke a small bone in his wrist on the first play of Week 1 at Buffalo, according to FOX Sports. Vereen, who rushed for 101 yards, is scheduled for surgery Monday and will miss a few weeks.

Vereen played the entire game with the injury Sunday, but he experienced numbness afterward because the bone he broke sits on a nerve.
Rotoinfo_NFL ‏@Rotoinfo_NFL4m
#Patriots: Shane Vereen--RB: Shane Vereen broke a small bone in his wrist. Out a few weeks. http://bit.ly/1fRdl2I

Well I guess, Ridley's back ....
SO YOU'RE SAYING THERE'S A CHANCE!? :tebow: :tebow: :tebow: :tebow: :tebow: :tebow: :tebow:

Not to put more panic in the air- but if Ridley loses the goal line carries he's in big trouble. 8 of his 12 TDs last season came inside the 5 yardline, and 11 came inside the 10. He's not the kind of guy thats a threat to score from anywhere like a Matt Forte has proven to be. I think Ridley is a mediocre talent in a great scheme and great offense. If they decide Blount will get the short yardage work, Ridley could become unstartable.

Why did this guy just flood my inbox?

You are incorrect about vereen. He is not an every down back as witnessed by yesterdays injury...

good day to you sir..
what is with you? Im not your buddy, pal.. I questioned Vereen's potenital durability in reference to being an everydown back. You disagreed and said he was able to be an everydown back. Yesterday, during the largest workload of his career he got injured. My evidence is empirical and cannot be argued by you. Me= Winning, You= Better luck next time!! LOL!!!
as far as I can tell your track record is 0-1. Very bad. Please let me know if you want any fantasy advice. I specialize in the NY GIants.

If any one cares

No way, Im not looking for your name in any thread. You dont know the Giants like I do anyway. I got people on the inside that know all sorts of stuff about them. LOL..

ShaHBucks said:
If any one cares

No way, Im not looking for your name in any thread. You dont know the Giants like I do anyway. I got people on the inside that know all sorts of stuff about them. LOL..
wow, lucky you. got your self a real, honest-to-goodness stalker! And a Giants Expert to boot!

Vereen needs surgery on wrist. Ridley gonna get another chance ! Oops, should have read whole thread! NevErmind...

mbuehner said:
Not to put more panic in the air- but if Ridley loses the goal line carries he's in big trouble. 8 of his 12 TDs last season came inside the 5 yardline, and 11 came inside the 10. He's not the kind of guy thats a threat to score from anywhere like a Matt Forte has proven to be. I think Ridley is a mediocre talent in a great scheme and great offense. If they decide Blount will get the short yardage work, Ridley could become unstartable.
This is very true. Not many people realize this, but NE is the optimal place for a RB like Ridley to land. Over the past three years, no team has scored more TDs or attempted more rushes within the 10 yard line.

Personally, I thought Blount looked as if he was running backwards yesterday. He's honestly just a worse version of Ridley from a talent perspective. I'm not overly concerned about the situation. As an owner, I bought (in my one standard league) knowing that Ridley only saw 500ish snaps last year and was very TD dependent. Assuming he gets another crack at it, I think he'll be fine.

mbuehner said:
This is very true. Not many people realize this, but NE is the optimal place for a RB like Ridley to land. Over the past three years, no team has scored more TDs or attempted more rushes within the 10 yard line.

Personally, I thought Blount looked as if he was running backwards yesterday. He's honestly just a worse version of Ridley from a talent perspective. I'm not overly concerned about the situation. As an owner, I bought (in my one standard league) knowing that Ridley only saw 500ish snaps last year and was very TD dependent. Assuming he gets another crack at it, I think he'll be fine.
I had the exact opposite impression of Ridley until i looked at the numbers myself. This is exactly right. I think Blount sucks too, but if he can reliably fall into the endzone and not fumble the ball he could end up getting goalline touches and wreck Ridleys value. Of course with Vereene out he ought to be seeing more touches and catches particularly.

I had the exact opposite impression of Ridley until i looked at the numbers myself. This is exactly right. I think Blount sucks too, but if he can reliably fall into the endzone and not fumble the ball he could end up getting goalline touches and wreck Ridleys value. Of course with Vereene out he ought to be seeing more touches and catches particularly.
Well, last year Ridley had 12 td's and 2 fumbles. In his full year at TB (2011) , Blount had 5 td's and 3 fumbles.

Well, last year Ridley had 12 td's and 2 fumbles. In his full year at TB (2011) , Blount had 5 td's and 3 fumbles.
Comparing the Patriots offense to anything Tampa ever did is a nonstarter. In 2011, Blount had TWO carries inside the opponents 5 yard line (and score 2 TDs), last year Ridley had 20 (and scored 8). The entire Tampa roster had THREE rushing attempts inside the 5 (for Blounts 2 TDs), and the Patriots had THIRTY-EIGHT (for 14TDs!). Opportunity is everything when you're not talking about an elite back.

Heavy rain is the forecast for tomorrow night. If he fumbles and gets benched again, it's a long wait until Sunday.

Can't wait for Ridley to give me a good swift kick in the junk by fumbling in a prime time game in the pouring rain. I felt a lot better about him before the forecast. Ridley and Wilson have been a total rollercoaster this last week. At this point I expect them both to bury me this week.

Can't wait for Ridley to give me a good swift kick in the junk by fumbling in a prime time game in the pouring rain. I felt a lot better about him before the forecast. Ridley and Wilson have been a total rollercoaster this last week. At this point I expect them both to bury me this week.
If this happens at least I'll get to go to bed early.

They just don't trust him. Blount in for key 4th qtr drive. Not sure Ridley got two consecutive carries once yet.

I can't trot him out again next week.

No chance I'm starting Ridley against the Bucs next week. I would rather gamble with Bradshaw. These 2-4 point games are destroying my team.

Maybe he'll be worth his draft status once Gronk and Amendola are back, but this is ridiculous. I have the worst RB drafting luck ever. It's unbelievable. arggggggggggggggggggggggg. I thought Ridley was such a safe bet this year for top 15 non-PPR rushing. Such a joke. /rant

He probably cost me a win this week. I think he's nearing drop status. This guy has no value right now. Too soon to drop, but it's looking pretty likely down the road.

They just don't trust him. Blount in for key 4th qtr drive. Not sure Ridley got two consecutive carries once yet.

I can't trot him out again next week.
Their WTs have dropped about 15 passes in the pouring rain and they still won't run.

Hard to run when the pats have ZERO receiving threats right now. The only wr worth a damn catches 5 yd passes. Plus the jets have a good defense. GREAT buy low opportunity IMO. Just gotta be patient. Where else can you get a starting RB not in an RBBC for nothing. Im gonna try this week

Is the Jets front 7 really this good? This is awful. Pats had one of the best running games last year. How did they fall off so far? They are getting no push whatsoever.

Have a feeling if Vereen hadn't got hurt, Ridley would not have even seen the field tonight.

They could have put the Jets away tonight by running the ball more.

But I think the ego in NE wants to prove they can still throw it around with no receivers, to justify railroading Welker out of town.

Not looking good for Ridley.

Ridley was a very up and down inconsistent frustrating RB last year. What we're seeing so far shouldn't be a surprise... and won't be surprised if next week he shows up for 20 carries 100+ and 2 TD... while we all have him on the bench.

Users who are viewing this thread