What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stevan Ridley Support Group (1 Viewer)

What is his trade value in Keeper or Dynasty?
I'm considering dropping him in my 10 team 30 roster leagues. Just to make room for rookies, since I have 5 picks this year. Someone I would guess will likely claim him off waivers when it gets to that time, but he doesn't have trade value. He's a roster hopper at this point I think.

Rotoworld:

Stevan Ridley (knee surgery) is expected to be ready for the start of training camp.
Ridley is five months removed from tearing his ACL. The Jets felt comfortable enough with his progress to hand him a one-year deal this past week. It's possible Ridley and Chris Ivory will compete for one roster spot, with the Jets also not ruling out taking a running back in the middle rounds of the draft. Bilal Powell is locked in for his special teams value.

Source: ESPN New York
Apr 12 - 9:29 AM

Terrible time to sell him. His value could sky rocket with even one positive news report. he's young and talented and should be highly motivated. I personally wouldn't sell for less than a mid second but I think you'd be hard-pressed to get that and i expect his value to go up as the fluff pieces start coming out. But with people talking seriously about dropping him, I'd definitely be looking to add him cheaply.

Terrible time to sell him. His value could sky rocket with even one positive news report. he's young and talented and should be highly motivated. I personally wouldn't sell for less than a mid second but I think you'd be hard-pressed to get that and i expect his value to go up as the fluff pieces start coming out. But with people talking seriously about dropping him, I'd definitely be looking to add him cheaply.
I couldn't agree with you more. Ivory has never had 200 carries in a season and he was the last regimes guy, Ridley is the guy this coaching staff wanted. I would go further and call him a buy low until they draft another rb. If they get through the draft with no other competition Ridley will end up on a lot of my teams. Or at least he would have if Phenoms was still around!

I added him recently in an auction for roughly the same amount as a top safety, corner or de; other backs that went for about the same were Jennings, Antone smith, Damien Williams, Asiata and khiry Robinson. This was before he signed.

I'd take him over any of those guys by a lot.

I couldn't agree with you more. Ivory has never had 200 carries in a season and he was the last regimes guy, Ridley is the guy this coaching staff wanted. I would go further and call him a buy low until they draft another rb. If they get through the draft with no other competition Ridley will end up on a lot of my teams. Or at least he would have if Phenoms was still around!
You guys are delusional. I'm no Ivory fanboy, but he's clearly the more talented of the two. He's been injured and/or in timeshares, but he's played 31 out of 32 possible games the last two seasons, averaging 190 carries per season. Ridley has exactly one season with more than 190 carries and he's coming off MCL+ACL tears. So acting like Ivory is injury prone and Ridley is some sort of injury free rock of dependability is a questionable take on the situation. Also, Ridley is now this coaching staff's guy? C'mon. They didn't exactly rush to sign him and they only signed him for one year. Ridley is just depth fodder to them. If he was a different skill set than Ivory, I could see possibly getting your hopes up that the new staff wants a different kind of runner, but unfortunately they are the same kind of runner and Ivory is better at it.

And remember, Gailey is the guy who drafted Spiller and milked a couple very nice years out of incumbent (read: not his own guy) Fred Jackson. Neither Ivory nor Ridley is that similar to either RB. I suspect the Jets bring in at least one more player that steals some significant reps.

You can disagree without saying words like delusional. It probably helps if you argue against the things I said if you're going to call me delusional.

Forget whether you believe ridley will start for them or how good you think ivory is. The question was about his trade value.

Right now his trade value is very low. There are people literally talking about dropping him in 30 man roster leagues. That's as cheap as it gets.

What is he going to be worth three months from now? His trade value literally can't go down. But give me one fluff piece in the New York papers talking about how good he looks running the ball, or the coaches talking about him competing for the starting job, or even wondering what the split will be, and you'll start getting offers. Nothing much, but any positive news at all and you'll get people willing to give a third rounder.

Now let's see a legitimate training camp battle, and people speculating about ridley maybe getting starter carries, and you'll get a second rounder fairly easily. A second round pick for a starting running back in his mid 20s isn't a hard bargain to reach.

And that's before he plays a snap.

I owned him and I've already sold him, during the other good trade window - when he was getting ready to meet with teams. So I'm not trying to pump up a player i own just to trade him. I'm just saying this is the kind of guy who can net you a valuable pick at no cost. it almost seems delusional not to pick him up.

You can disagree without saying words like delusional. It probably helps if you argue against the things I said if you're going to call me delusional.

Forget whether you believe ridley will start for them or how good you think ivory is. The question was about his trade value.

Right now his trade value is very low. There are people literally talking about dropping him in 30 man roster leagues. That's as cheap as it gets.

What is he going to be worth three months from now? His trade value literally can't go down. But give me one fluff piece in the New York papers talking about how good he looks running the ball, or the coaches talking about him competing for the starting job, or even wondering what the split will be, and you'll start getting offers. Nothing much, but any positive news at all and you'll get people willing to give a third rounder.

Now let's see a legitimate training camp battle, and people speculating about ridley maybe getting starter carries, and you'll get a second rounder fairly easily. A second round pick for a starting running back in his mid 20s isn't a hard bargain to reach.

And that's before he plays a snap.

I owned him and I've already sold him, during the other good trade window - when he was getting ready to meet with teams. So I'm not trying to pump up a player i own just to trade him. I'm just saying this is the kind of guy who can net you a valuable pick at no cost. it almost seems delusional not to pick him up.
Was mainly referencing osubuckeyeman and boltbacker with the delusional comment. Buckeye thinks Ridley is a better player and boltbacker wants to think injury is the reason Ridley is a better bet than Ivory and that Ridley is somehow "the guy" for this new regime despite the late signing and short contract. Pretty silly all around.

As for your take that a news blurb can skyrocket his value... I'm not sure people are that gullible, but if you hold him that long then you are waiting until training camp. By that time, the team will probably draft and/or sign another RB. But hey, if you are only advocating picking him up for nothing, then yeah, I agree with you. There is a chance his value improves a non-negligible amount. I just think that chance is very small. So for those who are hanging on and deluding themselves, it is time to get real. Ridley is coming off a major injury in less than 12 months, signed a 1 year deal, is no longer playing for the NE offense, and likely wouldn't have been the best RB on this roster before injury.

Gailey is an interesting offensive mind, but Ivory and Ridley are too similar of a player to get excited about either one. I would rather take the unknown RB behind door #3 than either of them at this point.

You guys are delusional. I'm no Ivory fanboy, but he's clearly the more talented of the two. He's been injured and/or in timeshares, but he's played 31 out of 32 possible games the last two seasons, averaging 190 carries per season. Ridley has exactly one season with more than 190 carries and he's coming off MCL+ACL tears. So acting like Ivory is injury prone and Ridley is some sort of injury free rock of dependability is a questionable take on the situation. Also, Ridley is now this coaching staff's guy? C'mon. They didn't exactly rush to sign him and they only signed him for one year. Ridley is just depth fodder to them. If he was a different skill set than Ivory, I could see possibly getting your hopes up that the new staff wants a different kind of runner, but unfortunately they are the same kind of runner and Ivory is better at it.

And remember, Gailey is the guy who drafted Spiller and milked a couple very nice years out of incumbent (read: not his own guy) Fred Jackson. Neither Ivory nor Ridley is that similar to either RB. I suspect the Jets bring in at least one more player that steals some significant reps.
I really don't care who's 'better' - it's a situation to stay away from.

You guys are delusional. I'm no Ivory fanboy, but he's clearly the more talented of the two. He's been injured and/or in timeshares, but he's played 31 out of 32 possible games the last two seasons, averaging 190 carries per season.
If you were to be $1,000 this year on the over/under for the number of carries Ivory would have this year what would that number be?

Not "Well, if the coaching staff didn't hate him..." or "if" this or "if" that. Just a number.

We have been through this "clearly more talented" shtick with you in regards to Ryan Mathews for years now. Let's pretend for the sake of this argument that Ivory being a better pass blocker than Geno Smith is irrelevant and the coaching staff's in the NFL aren't intentionally giving your fantasy players fewer carries purely out of spite even if it puts the success of the team they are coaching and their professional livelihood in jeopardy.

Slot me in the camp that thinks Ridley is a slightly above average back but far from a difference maker.

In the BB/Brady era, he ranks 8th in NE among RBs with at least 80 carries in terms of ypc:

Blount 4.94

Woodhead 4.80

Gray 4.63

Bolden 4.56

LJordan 4.54

Morris 4.45

Faulk 4.44

Ridley 4.34

That still was better than some other notable backs:

Dillon 4.22

Maroney 4.18

Vereen 4.18

BJGE 4.05

FTaylor 4.00

ASmith 3.86

Although it certainly looks like the Pats have done a better job moving the ball on a per carry basis the last few years than in the early going (which I think has a lot to do with the improved Patriots passing game compared to the early Brady years).

I suspect that Ridley will see a similar trend in NY. The Jets don't have the same passing attack (or game planning) that NE does, and that should cause some tougher sledding for Ridley. The Jets scoring overall pales in comparison to what the Pats have done, so it's likely Ridley will not see as many red zone scoring looks. It appears for now that he will be part of a RBBC and the Jets may draft another back on top of it.

Add in that Ridley is coming of a serious knee injury, and I think he will only be around for a year and will move on to someplace else next season. I don't see him doing well enough, scoring enough, or getting the ball enough to be a big contributor this year.

Rotoworld:

Stevan Ridley - RB - Jets

The Jets' one-year deal with Stevan Ridley contains just $80,000 guaranteed and has a total value of $1.25 million.

He got (significantly) less guaranteed money than Darren McFadden ($200,000) and Trent Richardson ($600,000). It's not especially surprising for a two-down running back coming off multiple knee ligament tears, but indicates Ridley isn't a lock for the Jets' 53-man roster. As special teamer Bilal Powell has job security and the Jets are fully expected to draft another back, Ridley and Chris Ivory may end up competing for one spot in training camp.

Source: Ben Volin on Twitter

Apr 15 - 10:22 PM

You guys are delusional. I'm no Ivory fanboy, but he's clearly the more talented of the two. He's been injured and/or in timeshares, but he's played 31 out of 32 possible games the last two seasons, averaging 190 carries per season.
If you were to be $1,000 this year on the over/under for the number of carries Ivory would have this year what would that number be?

Not "Well, if the coaching staff didn't hate him..." or "if" this or "if" that. Just a number.

We have been through this "clearly more talented" shtick with you in regards to Ryan Mathews for years now. Let's pretend for the sake of this argument that Ivory being a better pass blocker than Geno Smith is irrelevant and the coaching staff's in the NFL aren't intentionally giving your fantasy players fewer carries purely out of spite even if it puts the success of the team they are coaching and their professional livelihood in jeopardy.
You don't even know how to phrase your own question. Are you asking me to place the line for the over/under or are you asking me what number it would take for me to bet the over? If the latter, then assuming they don't bring in someone else the most I'd feel I had a better than 50% odds at would be 180. Please tell me yours for Ridley. Just remember, number of season with more than 180 carries: Ivory - 2, Ridley - 1.

You are asking me this due to Ivory's early injury woes, right? I mean, I still think this situation is an avoid. I think the new staff brings in someone else who carries the load or eats into the rotation, rendering this whole discussion moot. But as a pure 1st/2nd down runner, a healthy Ivory is better than a healthy Ridley.

Also, can we all have a good laugh at your "Ridley is the guy this coaching staff wanted" statement now that we know he only got $80k guaranteed and a total of $1.25M?

Rotoworld:

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan said Stevan Ridley's ACL/MCL surgery wasn't a major factor in the team's acquisition of RB Zac Stacy.

The Jets are uncertain of Ridley's camp status, so it's hard to believe it didn't at least enter Maccagnan's mind. Neither the Jets nor fantasy owners can be counting on Ridley to avoid the reserve/PUP list. Ridley is five and a half months removed from going under the knife.

Related: Zac Stacy

Source: ESPN New York

May 3 - 3:54 PM

Rotoworld:

The Newark Star-Ledger's Dom Cosentino believes there is a reasonable chance RB Stevan Ridley (ACL) begins the season on the PUP list.

Ridley said earlier this week he is not sure if he will be ready for training camp, and Cosentino "got the sense" the Jets do not know either. With too many limited, early-down backs on the roster already, New York could choose to stash Ridley on the PUP to buy enough time to properly assess his health. Ridley will be 10 months removed from surgery on his ACL when the Jets open their season against the Browns September 13.

Source: Newark Star-Ledger
Jun 20 - 12:50 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss is told that Jets RB Stevan Ridley (ACL/MCL) "feels great and is close to a return" from the active/PUP list.

The Jets are taking a cautious approach with Ridley coming off two torn knee ligaments, holding him out of practice for the first week-plus of camp. Ridley remains without any known timetable for return. Meanwhile, Chris Ivory has taken hold of the Jets' feature back job and is running away with it.

Source: ESPN Boston

Aug 9 - 9:57 AM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini believes RB Stevan Ridley (knee) will open the season on the reserve/PUP list.

"Ridley's chances of being ready for Week 1 are growing slimmer by the day," Cimini said. Ridley has still not practiced, but reports last week said he was "close" to returning. Cimini apparently does not share that view. Ridley opening on the PUP could open up a roster spot for Zac Stacy.

Source: ESPN.com
Aug 18 - 10:32 AM

Stevan Ridley (knee, PUP) resumed practicing Wednesday.
It's his first action of the season after tearing his ACL last year. The Jets now have three weeks to either activate Ridley or shut him down for the rest of the season. Expect him to be available Week 9 or Week 10, but this is Chris Ivory's backfield. Both Bilal Powell and Zac Stacy are also ahead of Ridley. Oct 21 - 1:35 PM

Ridley signed with the Falcons on Tuesday, NFL Network's James Palmer reports.

Spin:

With Tevin Coleman (hamstring) looking shaky for Sunday against Green Bay, the Falcons opted to sign a veteran free agent, in addition to promoting Terron Ward from the practice squad. While Ridley's name may be more familiar to NFL fans, Ward is probably the better bet to serve as Devonta Freeman's top backup in the event of a Coleman absence. Ward has been with the organization in some capacity for much of the past two years, while Ridley would need to learn a new playbook within the next week. The 27-year-old plodder hasn't done much of note since leaving the Patriots after the 2014 season, bouncing around the league without much luck.

He’s back ... landed with the Vikings. I thought Ridley showed something this preseason with the Broncos, but was cut due to an embarrassment of riches. I’ve never thought Latavius Murray was very good, and Latavius Murray with a bum ankle looked positively mediocre last week. 

Is Ridley better than mediocre at this point?  Wouldn’t shock me ...

He’s back ... landed with the Vikings. I thought Ridley showed something this preseason with the Broncos, but was cut due to an embarrassment of riches. I’ve never thought Latavius Murray was very good, and Latavius Murray with a bum ankle looked positively mediocre last week. 

Is Ridley better than mediocre at this point?  Wouldn’t shock me ...
Nice summary. I saw every snap of Ridley in the preseason and would agree. Straight downhill runner but showed some nice burst.

This could turn into an Alex Collins-type situation where a preseason cut gets an oppty somewhere else.

If Murray goes down I'd be confident bidding on Ridley to be effective ROS, but if Murray stays healthy IMO 50/50 timeshare is max upside.

Steelers signed RB Stevan Ridley, placed RB James Conner (knee) on IR in a corresponding move.

Wouldn't expect much from him as Touissant will be Bell's primary backup.

Users who are viewing this thread