What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stephen Hill (WR) - CAR (1 Viewer)

I think there are some things that a guy can improve on once he gets to the NFL, but IMO hands catching on the run in the middle of a route isn't really one of them -- either you have it or you don't.

I'm not saying he doesn't have that ability -- I'm on the fence and drafted him in a bunch of dynasty leagues because if the hands are 'good enough' he could be a monster -- just that when these guys are entering the NFL they've been playing football for at least ten years most of the time and there are some things that really aren't going to improve. If you can't catch during gameplay after playing WR for 6-8+ years you aren't going to wake up one day and be able to do it.

I think that's because it's more about the ability to track the ball in space while moving than it is "hands" and a jugs machine doesn't really address the problem. All my opinion of course. There's no way that I know of to prove this one way or another.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stephen Hill was limited in Jets practice with a calf injury on Wednesday.

However, Hill reportedly looked "okay" in positional drills, and doesn't appear to be in any danger of missing Sunday's game against the Steelers. Hill's status will be updated on Thursday, where there's a good chance he'll return to full practice.

'BallparkFrank said:
'wdcrob said:
'DevilintheDetail said:
Food for thought:Stephen Hill is the 4th wide receiver to catch 2 TDs in their first NFL game. Randy Moss, Charles Rogers, and Anquan Boldin are the others. Rogers had a season-ending injury after 5 games his rookie year, but Moss ended up the #1 fantasy WR and Boldin ended up the #4 fantasy WR in their respective rookie seasons.
Hmmm... as a six-time dynasty league owner I love this stat, but I'm still skeptical based on how often he's letting ball get into his body.
Wasn't Torrey Smith another speed guy that was a notorious body catcher going into his rookie year? He had a solid year, but I agree that it could be an issue.
Mike Wallace is a known basket catcher who has been a successful fantasy receiver. I tends to avoid those types with my early draft picks, but I didn't hesitate to use a waiver claim on Hill.

Hill was limited the final day of practice last week, too, with the calf "injury" and went on to score 2 TD's. I imagine it's similar to the 10 consecutive years Tom Brady was Questionable with an arm related injury. He's fine.

Despite this guy being partially handicapped by letting the ball get into his body, he still managed to haul in 5/89/2Td...what are you people not getting? 2 of the 3 previous WRs were top4 for the season their rookie year. Hill has landed in a terrific situation where you have a disgruntled and bad attitude WR1 who doesn't get along with the QB all that well.

Flush the preseason from your memory banks and jump into the present.

Despite this guy being partially handicapped by letting the ball get into his body, he still managed to haul in 5/89/2Td...what are you people not getting? 2 of the 3 previous WRs were top4 for the season their rookie year. Hill has landed in a terrific situation where you have a disgruntled and bad attitude WR1 who doesn't get along with the QB all that well. Flush the preseason from your memory banks and jump into the present.
This.

Spent 33% of my blind bid waiver budget to get him. Thrilled to wind up with him, even if I overpaid (the league is new to blind bids, and I didn't anticipate how ridiculously conservative people are with their bids- Ogletree went for 6%, for example). Out of all the receivers on the wire, Hill has the best chance of carrying a team to a surprise championship, a la Green and Julio last year, or Boldin and Colston their rookie years. Ogletree played great, but how many championships are going to be won on the back of a team's fourth target?

Spent 33% of my blind bid waiver budget to get him. Thrilled to wind up with him, even if I overpaid (the league is new to blind bids, and I didn't anticipate how ridiculously conservative people are with their bids- Ogletree went for 6%, for example). Out of all the receivers on the wire, Hill has the best chance of carrying a team to a surprise championship, a la Green and Julio last year, or Boldin and Colston their rookie years. Ogletree played great, but how many championships are going to be won on the back of a team's fourth target?
This is spot on to what I'm thinking, though as someone who rode Laurent Robinson in two championship runs last year I do think Ogeltree has a shot to be a consistent contributor -- but the higher ceiling belongs to Hill, which is who I'd target.

Holmes is still the #1 and Keller still figures to be a big factor when healthy. Kerley is also in the picture to vulture possession targets. And this is still the Jets and Sanchez we're talking about. Based on the past few seasons, I'm not expecting prolific passing stats from this team. I would be much more excited about Hill in dynasty than in redraft leagues.

In redraft I think his ceiling is probably what Braylon did in 2010, which would be great production for a waiver pickup, but nothing that will single-handedly elevate most FF teams.

This is spot on to what I'm thinking, though as someone who rode Laurent Robinson in two championship runs last year I do think Ogeltree has a shot to be a consistent contributor -- but the higher ceiling belongs to Hill, which is who I'd target.
This is my thinking as well. All offseason, people were speculating who was going to catch the ball for the Jets. Hill is talented, has an opportunity and a qb who will just throw it up to him. AJ Green was the 16th ranked wr last year on 65 rec's for 1057 yards and 7 td's. I'm not saying Hill will do that but the opportunity is there

Outside of the top 5 blue chippers, receivers constantly come into the league with room for improvement on route-running, hands-catching, getting off the jam, etc. That's why phenomena like the 'year three breakout' exist. He may have an up and down rookie season, but as a dynasty owner I'm thrilled to have a guy who's trusted to start already and proved he has the ability to make some big plays. As the Jets de facto #1, he's well worth a flier in redraft too.

Holmes is still the #1 and Keller still figures to be a big factor when healthy. Kerley is also in the picture to vulture possession targets. And this is still the Jets and Sanchez we're talking about. Based on the past few seasons, I'm not expecting prolific passing stats from this team. I would be much more excited about Hill in dynasty than in redraft leagues. In redraft I think his ceiling is probably what Braylon did in 2010, which would be great production for a waiver pickup, but nothing that will single-handedly elevate most FF teams.
Sanchez threw for 26 TDs last year and was a top 10 fantasy QB. Holmes is not a real #1 WR and has poor chemistry both on-and-off the field with Sanchez. They have a new OC who used a big receiver like Hill (Brandon Marshall) well last year. Sanchez obviously likes Hill and likes throwing jump balls. Braylon caught 7 TDs in 2010. Hill already has 2. Sanchez is also a better QB now. Hill's ceiling is a lot higher than 900/7.

Despite this guy being partially handicapped by letting the ball get into his body, he still managed to haul in 5/89/2Td...what are you people not getting? 2 of the 3 previous WRs were top4 for the season their rookie year. Hill has landed in a terrific situation where you have a disgruntled and bad attitude WR1 who doesn't get along with the QB all that well. Flush the preseason from your memory banks and jump into the present.
I still don't get what 2 WR's did 9 and 15 years ago in their 1st game have to do with Hill.You tell us to forget the preseason and jump into the present with Hill, but you also remind us about Holmes issues that were last year. (none which seem to have manifested this year)I am a Jets fan and would like nothing more for Hill to shatter every Jets REC record this year, but it was 1 game against the Bills secondary who gave up the 3rd most TDs last year, and who put little to no pressure on Sanchez.These are factors that simply will not be available each week.

I still don't get what 2 WR's did 9 and 15 years ago in their 1st game have to do with Hill.You tell us to forget the preseason and jump into the present with Hill, but you also remind us about Holmes issues that were last year. (none which seem to have manifested this year)I am a Jets fan and would like nothing more for Hill to shatter every Jets REC record this year, but it was 1 game against the Bills secondary who gave up the 3rd most TDs last year, and who put little to no pressure on Sanchez.These are factors that simply will not be available each week.
week 2 should be interesting.. vs steelers

week 2 should be interesting.. vs steelers
Which corners stack up favorably against Hill?

Holmes is still the #1 and Keller still figures to be a big factor when healthy. Kerley is also in the picture to vulture possession targets. And this is still the Jets and Sanchez we're talking about. Based on the past few seasons, I'm not expecting prolific passing stats from this team. I would be much more excited about Hill in dynasty than in redraft leagues. In redraft I think his ceiling is probably what Braylon did in 2010, which would be great production for a waiver pickup, but nothing that will single-handedly elevate most FF teams.
Sanchez threw for 26 TDs last year and was a top 10 fantasy QB. Holmes is not a real #1 WR and has poor chemistry both on-and-off the field with Sanchez. They have a new OC who used a big receiver like Hill (Brandon Marshall) well last year. Sanchez obviously likes Hill and likes throwing jump balls. Braylon caught 7 TDs in 2010. Hill already has 2. Sanchez is also a better QB now. Hill's ceiling is a lot higher than 900/7.
Holmes is a great receiver despite his poor stats the last year or two. He is certainly paid #1 money and is good enough to be the top target for a lot of teams. Hill isn't much like Marshall. Marshall is a possession receiver. Hill is a deep threat. Hill was obviously brought in to play the Plaxico/Braylon role as the deep threat who pulls coverage away from Holmes/Keller/Kerley underneath. He's a rookie and a raw one at that. He's not going to score 2 TDs every week. In all likelihood his production will be wildly inconsistent from week to week, making him a maddening player in most formats. I'll be surprised if he tops 900 yards this year. With his height and speed, he will hit some more home runs though. He is not a complete WR yet and not really that close.

Holmes is a great receiver despite his poor stats the last year or two. He is certainly paid #1 money and is good enough to be the top target for a lot of teams. Hill isn't much like Marshall. Marshall is a possession receiver. Hill is a deep threat. Hill was obviously brought in to play the Plaxico/Braylon role as the deep threat who pulls coverage away from Holmes/Keller/Kerley underneath. He's a rookie and a raw one at that. He's not going to score 2 TDs every week. In all likelihood his production will be wildly inconsistent from week to week, making him a maddening player in most formats. I'll be surprised if he tops 900 yards this year. With his height and speed, he will hit some more home runs though. He is not a complete WR yet and not really that close.
You have to admit, though, your projection of 7 TD's is a lot more doable than it is his ceiling! ;)

You obviously didn't watch the game. They didn't just use Hill as a deep threat, although he did catch his first TD on a deep jump ball. They used Hill on short and intermediate routes, too. His second TD, for example, came on a short crossing route, the kind that they ran in Miami for Marshall all the time last year. They are obviously planning on using Hill in a variety of ways to try to get the ball in his hands so that he can use his speed and strength for YAC, which is exactly what he did week 1. Holmes isn't a real #1 WR on a good team, that much is clear. He's not a good red zone target, isn't much of a playmaker anymore, and can easily be taken away by a defensive gameplan. That's been a pretty big problem for the Jets, actually, as Holmes struggles to beat good coverage and the offense stalls. They are obviously planning on using Hill a lot. He didn't look all that raw against the Bills.

I own Donald Brown in a PPR League, being offered Hill + Holmes + Turbin for DBrown. I also own Lynch and Sanchez

Based on what I see in this thread, this seems like a pretty good deal. Any thoughts from the SP?

I own Donald Brown in a PPR League, being offered Hill + Holmes + Turbin for DBrown. I also own Lynch and SanchezBased on what I see in this thread, this seems like a pretty good deal. Any thoughts from the SP?
yeah take this nonsense out of here

You obviously didn't watch the game. They didn't just use Hill as a deep threat, although he did catch his first TD on a deep jump ball. They used Hill on short and intermediate routes, too. His second TD, for example, came on a short crossing route, the kind that they ran in Miami for Marshall all the time last year. They are obviously planning on using Hill in a variety of ways to try to get the ball in his hands so that he can use his speed and strength for YAC, which is exactly what he did week 1. Holmes isn't a real #1 WR on a good team, that much is clear. He's not a good red zone target, isn't much of a playmaker anymore, and can easily be taken away by a defensive gameplan. That's been a pretty big problem for the Jets, actually, as Holmes struggles to beat good coverage and the offense stalls. They are obviously planning on using Hill a lot. He didn't look all that raw against the Bills.
My baseline numbers for Hill were roughly Burress' last year - 45/612/8. He's looked far more ready than I expected and I won't be surprised if he leads the team in yards this year, if not receptions.

I own Donald Brown in a PPR League, being offered Hill + Holmes + Turbin for DBrown. I also own Lynch and SanchezBased on what I see in this thread, this seems like a pretty good deal. Any thoughts from the SP?
:thumbup: I'm liking shady's aggressive stance on blatant A/C questions shtick. I'm really skeptical Hill will have much redraft value. But if you have the roster space it's worth watching him on your bench. I can see a scenario where he becomes the #1 wr on the team this year. It's not likely but it's possible.

I own Donald Brown in a PPR League, being offered Hill + Holmes + Turbin for DBrown. I also own Lynch and Sanchez

Based on what I see in this thread, this seems like a pretty good deal. Any thoughts from the SP?
:thumbup: I'm liking shady's aggressive stance on blatant A/C questions shtick.

I'm really skeptical Hill will have much redraft value. But if you have the roster space it's worth watching him on your bench. I can see a scenario where he becomes the #1 wr on the team this year. It's not likely but it's possible.
lol people that can't make decisions for themselves and need to ask the "Shark Pool" for advice are like a disease.... they find different ways to infiltrate perfectly good forum topics with nonsense...

NEWSFLASH if you can't make decisions for yourself... you don't deserve to win a Fantasy Football championship

on that note.. Stephen Hill looked awesome in preseason when he went 5 rec, for 68 yds vs the Panthers he looked raw, but looked like if he got it together he could be dangerous.. he was all over the place, electric speed, and looked like a monster catching the ball and most importantly Sanchez targeted him like 10 times in the first half

I don't think it was a fluke at all that he got 5 rec, 89yds and 2 TD's vs the Bills... sure the Bills allowed 48 points when we all thought they were supposed to be a much improved defense... but the fact of the matter is Stephen Hill is a monster, why do you think the Jets drafted a guy who came from a "non conventional offense"?? because they couldn't ignore his physical gifts and talent... Sanchez loves big WR's, and he has never had one with the speed or the physical gifts this guy has...

dare I compare this youngster to ...

Randy Moss 6'4" 210 lbs, 4.25 40yd

Stephen Hill 6'4" 215lbs, 4.36 40yd

apparently i am not the only one

OVERVIEW

Hill is an early-entry junior receiver out of Georgia Tech who started consistently for the past two years and was the sole deep threat in a run-first offense. He has great length and an outstanding catch radius, which along with his speed makes him a serious deep-threat option in the NFL. He has a thin frame and will be hurt by the fact that he ran a very basic route tree at Georgia Tech, and teams won't be able to utilize him for much more than go routes at this point in his career. He is a splash player who was No. 1 in the nation in yards per catch; he has fourth-round value based off his all-around body of work but could impress a team with his size and speed enough to ascend significantly throughout the pre-draft process. If the rest of his game can catch up to the ability he shows in the deep passing game, Hill could be the sleeper of this year's draft.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Hill will be a legitimate deep threat at the next level -- by recording nearly 30 yards per catch as a senior, he showed he was capable of going deep and scoring on every play. He consistently runs past corners on deep routes and is impressive at the point of the catch, as he is able to lay out for the ball or rise above his defender. Hill is a very good blocker who uses his length well and surprisingly doesn't get off-balance often, something that is usually evident of players with his frame. Though it's risky to throw early comparisons of Hall-of-Fame-caliber players on prospects that don't even garner first-round consideration, Hill could remind some of Randy Moss when it comes to running a pure, one-on-one deep route.

WEAKNESSES

Hill's value is based purely off his ability as a deep threat. He has average quickness and moves off the line of scrimmage to avoid a jam. He ran a very basic route tree at Georgia Tech that didn't allow him to showcase many skills. Outside of catching jump balls, he struggles to read coverages and understand how to find holes in a zone. Hill looks uncomfortable with the ball in his hands and resembles a lengthy track star on the field instead of a football player. He dropped as many big balls as he made big plays; his YPC stat defines him perfectly as a player who is capable of making flash plays but isn't reliable.

Flush the preseason? Week 1 was a continuation of the week 3 preseason game... it's more of a trend than anything else, a continuation. Hill got more targets from Sanchez than Holmes did. Holmes and Sanchez just don't click. I believe Hill will end this year as the Jets' #1 reciever, including Keller. Kerley is a nice slot reciever, but Hill offers BOTH the big red zone go to AND the deep threat. He's got sub 4.4 speed. Call me crazy, but I'm looking at 900 and 9 TD's. I think he could turn in a rookie year like J Jones or AJ Green. My main concern? Holmes gets so pissed off he stops playing ala Randy Moss in a snit. If Holmes doesn't go into a funk, teams won't be able to double Hill. Kerley and Keller can keep safeties honest. I've never been a Sanchez fan, but if the O line holds up, I think Hill could be beyond a sleeper. Terell Owens never had great hands. Hill reminds me of him.

This guy seems like a no-brainer WW pick-up. Physical beast. 2 TDs in his first game. Very little competition for targets. Pretty good passing QB. He was my number 1 WW pick. But I am looking for a home run not a bunt.

This guy seems like a no-brainer WW pick-up. Physical beast. 2 TDs in his first game. Very little competition for targets. Pretty good passing QB. He was my number 1 WW pick. But I am looking for a home run not a bunt.
BINGO !!!! Preferred over Ogletree, because even though Romo >>>>>>>> Sanchez, you gotta consider Austin/Dez/Witten/Murray >>>>>>>>> Holmes/Kerley/Keller/Greene .. kid has the path of least resistance here, and can BOOM ... no balls, no glory. All in :pickle:

Don't underestimate how bad the Bills' D was in that game. He had nobody near him for most of his catches. I snagged Hill in one league, but I'm not sold on him, yet. Let's see how he does when he's covered. (And when Sanchez faces some actual pressure.)

Flush the preseason? Week 1 was a continuation of the week 3 preseason game... it's more of a trend than anything else, a continuation. Hill got more targets from Sanchez than Holmes did. Holmes and Sanchez just don't click. I believe Hill will end this year as the Jets' #1 reciever, including Keller. Kerley is a nice slot reciever, but Hill offers BOTH the big red zone go to AND the deep threat. He's got sub 4.4 speed. Call me crazy, but I'm looking at 900 and 9 TD's. I think he could turn in a rookie year like J Jones or AJ Green. My main concern? Holmes gets so pissed off he stops playing ala Randy Moss in a snit. If Holmes doesn't go into a funk, teams won't be able to double Hill. Kerley and Keller can keep safeties honest. I've never been a Sanchez fan, but if the O line holds up, I think Hill could be beyond a sleeper. Terell Owens never had great hands. Hill reminds me of him.
:goodposting: :football: :banned:

He had nobody near him for most of his catches.
He caught his first TD with the corner right in front of him (making a nice grab on an underthrown pass). He used his speed to beat his man on a crossing route for the second TD.

:thumbup: I'm liking shady's aggressive stance on blatant A/C questions shtick.

I'm really skeptical Hill will have much redraft value. But if you have the roster space it's worth watching him on your bench. I can see a scenario where he becomes the #1 wr on the team this year. It's not likely but it's possible.
lol people that can't make decisions for themselves and need to ask the "Shark Pool" for advice are like a disease.... they find different ways to infiltrate perfectly good forum topics with nonsense...

NEWSFLASH if you can't make decisions for yourself... you don't deserve to win a Fantasy Football championship
I think you guys are being a bit harsh. Asking about trade value for a guy in a thread dedicated to that guy is really not such a horrible thing to do.

If Hill is still on your WW, you need to snag him. He is a big target and the number 2 passing option on his team. Since Holmes is such a head case, Hill may even be the first passing option on his team. Sanchez has issues but is good enough to get Hill the ball enough.

Per Rotoworld

Jets WR Stephen Hill was limited again in Thursday's practice.

Hill is tentatively expected to start versus the Steelers on Sunday. Although he brings intriguing skills to the table, Hill's Week 1 performance isn't repeatable. Rookie CB Stephon Gilmore got lost on a pump fake on the first touchdown, and Hill added another 27 yards on a flea flicker. Sep 13 - 6:24 PM
I don't understand the logic behind that statement... guy plays his first NFL game, gets two TD's..which is noteworthy in itself fantasy wise and he choses to ignore that 100% and say that it isn't repeatable...If anything to me that shows Hill is a big part of the Jets game plan, has the ability to make plays, the ability to beat players deep, the ability to run after the catch.... and all of those things keep my interest in Fantasy Football

Per Rotoworld

Hill is tentatively expected to start versus the Steelers on Sunday. Although he brings intriguing skills to the table, Hill's Week 1 performance isn't repeatable. Rookie CB Stephon Gilmore got lost on a pump fake on the first touchdown, and Hill added another 27 yards on a flea flicker. Sep 13 - 6:24 PM
I don't understand the logic behind that statement... guy plays his first NFL game, gets two TD's..which is noteworthy in itself fantasy wise and he choses to ignore that 100% and say that it isn't repeatable...If anything to me that shows Hill is a big part of the Jets game plan, has the ability to make plays, the ability to beat players deep, the ability to run after the catch.... and all of those things keep my interest in Fantasy Football
Rotoworld has a habit of not overreacting/underacting to anything. I actually admire the consistency of it all haha.

Per Rotoworld

Roto tries to give a firm opinion rather than parroting the news with skindeep insights. I find more often than not they are on the tight track.

Per Rotoworld

Roto tries to give a firm opinion rather than parroting the news with skindeep insights. I find more often than not they are on the tight track.
gotcha

Users who are viewing this thread