What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stephen Hill (WR) - CAR (4 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Stephen Hill said his dropped passes in New York were overblown by the media.

That's laughable. The first step, Stephen, is admitting the problem. "The New York media wanted me out of there," Hill continued. We highly doubt the New York sports writers are making the roster decisions for the Jets. Hill gets to fly under the radar while on the Panthers' practice squad in a small Charlotte market. He needs to concentrate on football. There's still plenty of talent.

Source: Joe Person on Twitter

Sep 3 - 2:48 PM

Brandon Lafell dropped more passes than Hill did. And yet the media acts like he is this great WR we lost. Maybe Hill has a point.

Honestly I'm pretty thrilled Carolina signed him... my guess is he's on the practice squad because they can get away with it due to the lack of interest in Hill. Once he's learned the playbook and worked with Proehl a bit, I'd bet he's brought up... whether in place of another WR or in addition to the current corps.

I said it before about Bersin, but the same applies to Hill -- Avant and Cotchery aren't Everest to climb on the depth chart. Get on the active roster, get your head screwed on, and take advantage of the natural talent.

I'm definitely willing to roll the dice that the NYJ didn't develop him properly... maybe Ricky Proehl can.

Rotoworld:

Coach Ron Rivera said spending last season on the practice squad allowed Stephen Hill to relax and focus on catching the football.

With the Panthers adding only Ted Ginn at receiver so far this offseason, Hill will have a full summer in Carolina's camp to try and earn a roster spot. Rivera pointed out Hill's size and speed on Wednesday as assets that could "help" the team. The Panthers are dying for a speed complement to Kelvin Benjamin. Not yet 24 years old, Hill could be that guy.

Mar 25 - 11:28 AM

Rotoworld:

Coach Ron Rivera said the Panthers are "very excited" to see Stephen Hill in OTAs and minicamp.

"With his size (6-4, 215) and speed and his ability to get vertical, if he can assimilate to what we do," Rivera continued. "He might be a guy that has an opportunity to contribute for us." Hill spent all of last season on Carolina's practice squad. He'll have a good chance to make the team this summer.

Source: ESPN.com
Mar 27 - 10:35 AM

Rotoworld:

Coach Ron Rivera said the Panthers are "very excited" to see Stephen Hill in OTAs and minicamp.

"With his size (6-4, 215) and speed and his ability to get vertical, if he can assimilate to what we do," Rivera continued. "He might be a guy that has an opportunity to contribute for us." Hill spent all of last season on Carolina's practice squad. He'll have a good chance to make the team this summer.

except that he cannot catch, he couldnt in college and he hasnt yet in the pros. Catching is really not a trait that one can acquire later in his career.

Rotoworld:

Coach Ron Rivera says WR Stephen Hill is ready to contribute.

Hill spent a much-needed season developing on the practice squad in 2014. The Panthers are optimistic about his progress, but the depth chart is also crowded. Kelvin Benjamin and Devin Funchess are the top-two options, Jerricho Cotchery is the veteran slot man and Ted Ginn/Philly Brown are the lid-lifters. Hill is an afterthought despite tons of physical gifts.

May 18 - 10:55 AM

Rotoworld:

except that he cannot catch, he couldnt in college and he hasnt yet in the pros. Catching is really not a trait that one can acquire later in his career.
When you look at film the majority of his pro drops are borderline his fault at best. He did have a couple of big drops but he was 38th in the league amongst qualifying receivers when it came to drops overall his last season IIRC.

Hill just seemed like the classic talented WR in the wrong situation. He's going to do well in Carolina with big Cam tossing him the ball up high.

I do think the Jets was a terrible place to land. I'll throw a flyer on this guy in Dynasty. Can definitely see Cam ripping it deep and this guy having the jets to catch some of his overthrows.

Poor man's Torrey Smith.

I do think the Jets was a terrible place to land. I'll throw a flyer on this guy in Dynasty. Can definitely see Cam ripping it deep and this guy having the jets to catch some of his overthrows.

Poor man's Torrey Smith.
Hard to say if Hill was poorly coached up by a poor staff, or over-drafted by a poor GM, or both. I guess a little of both.

You mention Torrey Smith. Hill was actually taken earlier (2/43 in '12 v 2/58 in '11). It would be nice to see him at least play a role and not be a total bust.

Last edited by a moderator:

Poor man's Torrey Smith.
Hard to say if Hill was poorly coached up by a poor staff, or over-drafted by a poor GM, or both. I guess a little of both.

You mention Torrey Smith. Hill was actually taken earlier (2/43 in '12 v 2/58 in '11). It would be nice to see him at least play a role and not be a total bust.
As a Panther fan, I'd be happy with being a contributor. I wouldn't expect anything FF wise, but NFL wise, it would be great to see him play. His size and speed can't be coached, so if they can improve his receiving skills, adding him to Benjamin, Funchess and Olsen gives Cam 4 targets at 6'4"+. Right now, IMHO, lots of fluff, so until I see him contribute in pre-season, it's just a feel good story.

Poor man's Torrey Smith.

I will say his WR coach while with the Jets was Sanjay Lal. He was the WR coach of the Raiders between 2009-2012, and "groomed" the likes of Chaz Schilens, Jacoby Ford, Louis Murphy, Denarius Moore and Darrius Heyward-Bey. Not one of those guys lived up to their billing. In fact, besides a couple of decent years from Kerley, I don't see any player he has coached thrive under his direction. Now, it could be these guys were a bunch of busts, BUT, I would not say Hill was given the opportunity with a great coach.

Rotoworld:

Stephen Hill - WR - Panthers

Stephen Hill is expected to compete with Brenton Bersin and Jarrett Boykin for the Panthers' sixth and final wideout spot.

Hill is by far the most talented member of the trio and was singled out by coach Ron Rivera for showing well at OTAs. The former No. 43 overall pick of the Jets is still just 24 years old. The Panthers' top-five wideouts are set with Kelvin Benjamin, Devin Funchess, Corey (formerly Philly) Brown, Ted Ginn and Jerricho Cotchery.

Related: Jarrett Boykin, Brenton Bersin

Jul 13 - 9:07 AM

Rotoworld:

WSOCTV Charlotte reports Panthers WR Stephen Hill was cited for a drug paraphernalia charge after a routine traffic stop.
The drug paraphernalia charge isn't extreme by any means, but Hill is a guy who can't afford any off-field problems after he's been an extreme disappointment on it. The former second-round pick of the Jets had reportedly been a revelation in Panthers spring practices. Hill doesn't have a history of trouble with the law.

Source: Allison Latos on Twitter
Jul 29 - 10:52 AM

Rotoworld:

Stephen Hill - WR - Panthers

According to the Charlotte Observer, Panthers WR Stephen Hill is believed to have torn his right ACL in Saturday's training camp practice.

The Panthers signed new WR Paul Browning on Sunday morning, indicating a need for depth at wide receiver and also requiring the team to clear a roster spot. Hill figures to be waived/injured soon. The 43rd pick in the 2012 draft, Hill has been an injury-plagued bust but was having a nice offseason in Carolina.

Aug 2 - 10:27 AM

Rotoworld:

At his Wednesday pre-NFC Championship Game presser, Cam Newton said losing WR Stephen Hill (ACL) in training camp was a "big deal."

It's a surprising disclosure of Cam's feelings on a player who entered the NFL with big-time tools, but fizzled out with the Jets before tearing his ACL in Panthers camp last summer. And it's perhaps noteworthy for deep Dynasty leaguers. Hill is still only 24 years old, turning 25 in April. A restricted free agent, the Panthers can retain Hill at the cheapest possible RFA tender.

Jan 20 - 10:04 PM

Hmm. Not sure what to think about it. Panthers now seem to have an abundance of receiving talent after it seemed like they had very little after Benjamin went down last year. But nobody seems to have a lock on WR2 there so training camp and preseason will probably decide it. Ginn had a big role last year and some think he could be gone if the younger guys step up.

Hmm. Not sure what to think about it. Panthers now seem to have an abundance of receiving talent after it seemed like they had very little after Benjamin went down last year. But nobody seems to have a lock on WR2 there so training camp and preseason will probably decide it. Ginn had a big role last year and some think he could be gone if the younger guys step up.
In camp, it sounds like Funchess is now their #1. Benjamin will be their #1 when he's 100% ready to go in training camp, but one report said that Funchess looks better. I'll believe it when I see it, but I think those two are the top dogs. That said, I think people have been talking about Funchess as the slot, so the outside spot that Ginn held is the spot that is up for grabs. I want to go to training camp with my boys, so I will be keeping an eye on it.

That said, with Benjamin/Hill back and from the reports/progress of Funchess/Brown at the end of last year, you are correct that they appear deep at WR. Pretty much the opposite of what we thought last year after Benjamin went down. Damiere Byrd, 2nd year speedster (4.28 at 2015 pro day on grass - slower than turf) has also bulked up this year and been impressive in OTAs. Can't forget Ginn either. Yes, lots of drops but he got open all over the field and was timed with the fastest play in the NFL last year.

Going to be interesting to see who they put on the roster, who they put on the practice squad and who they cut.

I'm guessing they're grooming him to be Ted Ginn v2.0 once he finally loses his burst?

If not, like others have said. Crowded receiving core.

I'm guessing they're grooming him to be Ted Ginn v2.0 once he finally loses his burst?

If not, like others have said. Crowded receiving core.
Amazing the difference in one year. I'd love to see Hill beat out Ginn. Hill may not be as fast as Ginn but with a 4.36 combine, he's very fast. Having 3 6'4"-6'5" WRs and a 6'5" TE should make it easy for Cam to find the open guy.

Hill's a guy you really want to pull for.  I know he was a bust in NY... I wonder how much of that was on Hill and how much was a bad situation.  Either way, I trust in Ricky Proehl.  If Proehl was that high on Hill last year... man, you just hope he can get healthy and get back on the field.

Those are three big dudes to go with Olsen.  The WR versions of Hog Mollies.

Camp hype would be my guess.  He has been around for a while but his career has never got much traction.  I would tend to think by the final cut down he will be battling to make the squad.

Camp hype would be my guess.  He has been around for a while but his career has never got much traction.  I would tend to think by the final cut down he will be battling to make the squad.
Whether or not he has an actual impact on the team I don't know, but I don't think it is just camp hype. He got hyped last year before the ACL tear. If it was just camp hype, I don't think he would even be at training camp this year. All the WRs from last year are still here with the exception being Cotchery, whose slot is back to Benjamin. Add in Byrd, Norwood who we traded for last year, the rookie Garrett and the other camp bodies and I don't think we'd be bothering with Hill for a second year if they didn't actually see some potential in him last year and this year.

He still just turned 25 in April so he's only @ 1 1/2 years older than Josh Doctson and he's a couple weeks younger than Josh Gordon. Maybe the GTech scheme plus Rex Ryan, who isn't exactly known for developing WRs didn't help him progress. Demaryius Thomas came from GTech and while he became a stud, his first two years were 22-283-2TDs and 32-551-4TDs. Hill was 21-252-3TDs and 24-342-1TD.

In no way am I saying he is close to DT in any way, but would it shock me to think he wasn't developed the way DT was and that Rex Ryan isn't the coach you want as a young WR. In 2009-2013, Ryan's best WR was Braylon Edwards with just over 900 yards. In 2014/2015 without Rex, Decker has had 2 seasons better than any Rex Ryan Jets WR and Brandon Marshall had 67% more yards than the best Rex Ryan WR. The best WR for Rex in NY has been different almost every year from Cotchery, Edwards, Keller, Holmes and Kerley.

Anyway, I just think it is a little early to bury Hill since he was going to struggle coming from the GTech offense (like DT struggled until year 3) and having a coaching staff that hadn't developed any WRs in 5 years at the Jets.

Users who are viewing this thread