What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stephen Hill (WR) - CAR (3 Viewers)

Hill=DHB. Tremendous athlete, great combine numbers but VERY poor and unrefined route runner/WR. Good luck on this NYJ.

Right. The point I was trying to make is that workout numbers don't necessarily quantify football skills, or even athletic ability.

I'll use Rueben Randle as an example because he's highly UN-impressive from a measurables standpoint. Slow 40 time. Poor vertical leap. Bad times in the shuttles. Despite all that, I'd argue that he's more athletic on the football field than someone like Stephen Hill or Brian Quick. IMO part of it is body proportions. His movements are very efficient. And then some of it is just instinctive. Look at this catch against Florida. Nothing fancy really, but he manages to subtly evade a crowd of three tacklers before completely juking another defender in the open field. This kind of thing is what gets me excited when I'm evaluating a football player. Not 40 times in gym shorts or crisp routes against air, but how the guy actually plays on the field. You can't quantify it with a stopwatch or measuring tape.

Right. The point I was trying to make is that workout numbers don't necessarily quantify football skills, or even athletic ability.

I'll use Rueben Randle as an example because he's highly UN-impressive from a measurables standpoint. Slow 40 time. Poor vertical leap. Bad times in the shuttles. Despite all that, I'd argue that he's more athletic on the football field than someone like Stephen Hill or Brian Quick. IMO part of it is body proportions. His movements are very efficient. And then some of it is just instinctive. Look at this catch against Florida. Nothing fancy really, but he manages to subtly evade a crowd of three tacklers before completely juking another defender in the open field. This kind of thing is what gets me excited when I'm evaluating a football player. Not 40 times in gym shorts or crisp routes against air, but how the guy actually plays on the field. You can't quantify it with a stopwatch or measuring tape.
Randle did run a 4.42 at his Pro Day but that's neither here nor there since he's plenty fast even if he runs a 4.5. He also might be the youngest WR in the draft, turning 21 later this month.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what we do know for certain:1. 4.36 40 time.2. 6' 4" , 2153. 11'1" broad jump, a few inches short of a combine record. 4. 25 ft 8 3/4 inch long jump as a high school senior. Would have placed 9th in the Olympics with that jump as an 18 year old.5. 39 inch vertical6. Over 9 inch hands7. Vinny Testaverde threw to him recently and called him a "stud". 8. The Jets traded up to get him.9. Rex Ryan already said he will start.10. Wore a suit to his interview and said this is "business" and his profession11. Said he will give Jets fans something to "scream" about.So he has freakish athletic ability, is already a starter, will be coached up, he appears to be a hard worker and has confidence.What are the risks? That he doesn't ever get decent QB play? QBs change. They improve or another comes along eventually. Regimes change. That he doesn't learn to run a route or how to catch in an optimal fashion? There is not a large enough body of work to even know if this is true. This can be trained and improved, via coaching, Juggs machine, etc.I am sure there are a few more. One thing you cannot train into a WR is how to run a 4.36 40 time, or a get 39 inch vertical and stick it on a 6' 4" 215 lb. body. You can't teach someone to be a good person and it very tough to teach someone how to have a work ethic. I will take all of those incredible physical traits, add a positive attitude, enthusiasm and work ethic, include some coaching and see what happens with Hill. I am much more willing to do that than take a marginal athlete that is "pro-ready" and see if he can make it.
Wasn't Brian Robiskie the most "pro ready" of that class a few years ago?

This is what we do know for certain:1. 4.36 40 time.2. 6' 4" , 2153. 11'1" broad jump, a few inches short of a combine record. 4. 25 ft 8 3/4 inch long jump as a high school senior. Would have placed 9th in the Olympics with that jump as an 18 year old.5. 39 inch vertical6. Over 9 inch hands7. Vinny Testaverde threw to him recently and called him a "stud". 8. The Jets traded up to get him.9. Rex Ryan already said he will start.10. Wore a suit to his interview and said this is "business" and his profession11. Said he will give Jets fans something to "scream" about.So he has freakish athletic ability, is already a starter, will be coached up, he appears to be a hard worker and has confidence.What are the risks? That he doesn't ever get decent QB play? QBs change. They improve or another comes along eventually. Regimes change. That he doesn't learn to run a route or how to catch in an optimal fashion? There is not a large enough body of work to even know if this is true. This can be trained and improved, via coaching, Juggs machine, etc.I am sure there are a few more. One thing you cannot train into a WR is how to run a 4.36 40 time, or a get 39 inch vertical and stick it on a 6' 4" 215 lb. body. You can't teach someone to be a good person and it very tough to teach someone how to have a work ethic. I will take all of those incredible physical traits, add a positive attitude, enthusiasm and work ethic, include some coaching and see what happens with Hill. I am much more willing to do that than take a marginal athlete that is "pro-ready" and see if he can make it.
Exactly...it was because he was thought to have the best hands and route running ability of anyone in his class. That class included guys like Maclin, DHB, Crabtree, Harvin, Nicks, Britt, Wallace, Butler, Thomas, Collie, Knox, etc. Ironically, those are the two traits that people feel Hill lacks, yet made Robiskie's career so "robust".

Part of me wants to say, "Stay away from Hill because the team philosophy and QBs there aren't going to put up enough passing stats to make any one WR worthwhile."

But I'm leaning a lot more towards the, "Hill is very young and talented, he'll be there performing long after regime and QB change takes place in NY."

So was Reggie Wayne, what's your point?Wasn't Matt Jones supposed to have all the athletic ability but just needed to be taught how to be a WR too?

This is what we do know for certain:

1. 4.36 40 time.

2. 6' 4" , 215

3. 11'1" broad jump, a few inches short of a combine record.

4. 25 ft 8 3/4 inch long jump as a high school senior. Would have placed 9th in the Olympics with that jump as an 18 year old.

5. 39 inch vertical

6. Over 9 inch hands

7. Vinny Testaverde threw to him recently and called him a "stud".

8. The Jets traded up to get him.

9. Rex Ryan already said he will start.

10. Wore a suit to his interview and said this is "business" and his profession

11. Said he will give Jets fans something to "scream" about.

So he has freakish athletic ability, is already a starter, will be coached up, he appears to be a hard worker and has confidence.

What are the risks? That he doesn't ever get decent QB play? QBs change. They improve or another comes along eventually. Regimes change.

That he doesn't learn to run a route or how to catch in an optimal fashion? There is not a large enough body of work to even know if this is true. This can be trained and improved, via coaching, Juggs machine, etc.

I am sure there are a few more.

One thing you cannot train into a WR is how to run a 4.36 40 time, or a get 39 inch vertical and stick it on a 6' 4" 215 lb. body. You can't teach someone to be a good person and it very tough to teach someone how to have a work ethic.

I will take all of those incredible physical traits, add a positive attitude, enthusiasm and work ethic, include some coaching and see what happens with Hill. I am much more willing to do that than take a marginal athlete that is "pro-ready" and see if he can make it.
So was Reggie Wayne, what's your point?Wasn't Matt Jones supposed to have all the athletic ability but just needed to be taught how to be a WR too?
That comment was made tongue-in-cheek. I was agreeing with the bolded. My only point was that an athlete being "pro ready" doesn't always translate into becoming a good NFL player. And I would argue to say Reggie Wayne is better than a marginal athlete. Matt Jones was a head case.

Part of me wants to say, "Stay away from Hill because the team philosophy and QBs there aren't going to put up enough passing stats to make any one WR worthwhile."But I'm leaning a lot more towards the, "Hill is very young and talented, he'll be there performing long after regime and QB change takes place in NY."
Sanchez was FF relevant last year. Burress managed 600 yds and 8 TD's while being completely washed up. Holmes isn't a WR1. If you are going to take a shot at a WR late, go upside. Hill has a legit shot at being the top WR on that team. Reuben Randle? No Thanks. I know you all are trying to build for that 2014-2015 championship, but i'll pass on a guy that is buried on the depth chart with a coach notorious for playing the veteran.

Part of me wants to say, "Stay away from Hill because the team philosophy and QBs there aren't going to put up enough passing stats to make any one WR worthwhile."

But I'm leaning a lot more towards the, "Hill is very young and talented, he'll be there performing long after regime and QB change takes place in NY."
If I told you going into 2012, that a QB on a particular team would put up 26 passing TDs the previous year, would you be scared off by his WR#2? I wouldn't be...

This is what we do know for certain:

1. 4.36 40 time.

2. 6' 4" , 215

3. 11'1" broad jump, a few inches short of a combine record.

4. 25 ft 8 3/4 inch long jump as a high school senior. Would have placed 9th in the Olympics with that jump as an 18 year old.

5. 39 inch vertical

6. Over 9 inch hands

7. Vinny Testaverde threw to him recently and called him a "stud".

8. The Jets traded up to get him.

9. Rex Ryan already said he will start.

10. Wore a suit to his interview and said this is "business" and his profession

11. Said he will give Jets fans something to "scream" about.

So he has freakish athletic ability, is already a starter, will be coached up, he appears to be a hard worker and has confidence.

What are the risks? That he doesn't ever get decent QB play? QBs change. They improve or another comes along eventually. Regimes change.

That he doesn't learn to run a route or how to catch in an optimal fashion? There is not a large enough body of work to even know if this is true. This can be trained and improved, via coaching, Juggs machine, etc.

I am sure there are a few more.

One thing you cannot train into a WR is how to run a 4.36 40 time, or a get 39 inch vertical and stick it on a 6' 4" 215 lb. body. You can't teach someone to be a good person and it very tough to teach someone how to have a work ethic.

I will take all of those incredible physical traits, add a positive attitude, enthusiasm and work ethic, include some coaching and see what happens with Hill. I am much more willing to do that than take a marginal athlete that is "pro-ready" and see if he can make it.
That comment was made tongue-in-cheek. I was agreeing with the bolded. My only point was that an athlete being "pro ready" doesn't always translate into becoming a good NFL player. And I would argue to say Reggie Wayne is better than a marginal athlete. Matt Jones was a head case.
Fair enough, I didn't read the whole post.Matt Jones got into drugs too, but who knows what happens when you give 21 year olds millions of dollars.

If I told you going into 2012, that a QB on a particular team would put up 26 passing TDs the previous year, would you be scared off by his WR#2? I wouldn't be...
I hear what you're saying, but the WR2 on that team put up 600 yards and 8 TDs. Certainly a fantasy relevant player, but nothing to get too excited about, and definitely not a fantasy starter. Plaxico finished as the 35th best WR in my non-PPR league last year. The WR1 on the Jets has only done fractionally better over the last couple years.Even if Hill turns out to be in the realm of "quite good", his upside is limited on the Jets with in their current configuration. My earlier point is more that his upside/ceiling might be raised on the future with regime change.

I hear what you're saying, but the WR2 on that team put up 600 yards and 8 TDs. Certainly a fantasy relevant player, but nothing to get too excited about, and definitely not a fantasy starter. Plaxico finished as the 35th best WR in my non-PPR league last year. The WR1 on the Jets has only done fractionally better over the last couple years.Even if Hill turns out to be in the realm of "quite good", his upside is limited on the Jets with in their current configuration. My earlier point is more that his upside/ceiling might be raised on the future with regime change.
The last time the Jets has a good, big WR (Mccareins doesn't count) was Keyshawn and he put up Pro Bowl seasons with Testeverde, Mirer and Lucas at QB.Also, who's to say Hill is the #2? It will start off that way but other than one year in Pittsburgh Holmes has been a 50 catch WR.

Matt Jones, the other QB besides Alex Smith to be taken before Aaron Rodgers.... :no:

(Rotoworld) According to ESPN New York, second-round pick WR Stephen Hill "shined" in day one of the Jets' rookie minicamp. Analysis: Per beat writer Rich Cimini, Hill demonstrated "explosiveness off the line of scrimmage," and turned in a drop-free afternoon. Hill struggled with drops at Georgia Tech. The Jets believe Hill can run a full route tree and start opposite Santonio Holmes as a rookie, but he'll be a player to watch closely this preseason before determining whether he's worth a late-round fantasy pick.

54/788/6 is what I see in his rookie year with tons of upside.

I'll take that out of a rookie at his draft stock.

5 catches for 68 with at least one goal line target that I recall and one bad drop. He appears to be a much better all-around WR than I thought and not just a speed guy with limited routes. I know the Jets are brutal but with his skill set, I think a lot of dynasty people may be sleeping on this kid a bit too much. I'm intrigued to see how he develops as he's got clearly more upside than a guy like Jeffery who's going ahead of him, imo.

R Moss fan here I find it interesting that Moss 39" vert 40 4.25 compares somewhat too 39.5" and "unofficail 4.28

I think this is your guy if swinging for the fence's

The guy was on the wire in my League. I might be down Starks, so I considered a few players (droppn KC Def) I liked the rookie RB for the Skins on film (no 2nd gear, but real charlie hustle imo) I also like Turbin fwiw.

I decided on Hill this morning (still not sure why he was available) maybe my team needs more work than I think.

Once Tebow takes over Hill will average 4/60/.5 TD (64/960/8). I can think of worse gambles than this. He's got a lot of work to do but the opportunity is certainly here.

And is using DHB a negative or a positive? Far too early to write him off if you meant it as a negative.

Once Tebow takes over Hill will average 4/60/.5 TD (64/960/8). I can think of worse gambles than this. He's got a lot of work to do but the opportunity is certainly here. And is using DHB a negative or a positive? Far too early to write him off if you meant it as a negative.
yeah I seen that post too I guess hes implying the wait time (wasnt a 1,000 yd WR 1st yr) But at the same time, DHB may be kinda undervalued too!Luckily Hill may not see too many throws that he can wait for, n body catch. I dunno maybe Im just a bit too excited about Hill, but I figured it be a good idea to post. Theres been a few good posts made too. (thanx for stat projection JPeso, much appreciated)

PM me if you want to make a monetary bet on this. LeagueSafe will hold the funds.
no need for a PM. Terms of the bet, Tim Tebow only starts for injury reasons not for coaches decision. Tebow also will run his "biblecat" offense from time to time. But Sanchez remains the starter. I am not a big gambler it can be a 1 dollar bet. But I am confident Sanchez will be the starter all year. Tebow isn't any better.

I missed all/any pre-season hype on this kid, but he has my attention now. Anyone think the Buffalo secondary was more responsible for Hill's game, or do you think he can keep connecting with Sanchez all year long?

I missed all/any pre-season hype on this kid, but he has my attention now. Anyone think the Buffalo secondary was more responsible for Hill's game, or do you think he can keep connecting with Sanchez all year long?
He abused a rookie CB (Gilmore) so he's obviously going to face more experienced competition going forward. He should still be able to separate from most DB's, though, and when he can't he still has the vertical game to make a play on any ball. The fact that he's a body catcher will undoubtedly hurt him at times so be prepared for the occasional bad drop. If nothing else, a studly week 1 pretty much guaranteed that the Jets won't go out and sign a WR like Plax after the guaranteed contracts expire to take his place like they might have if he had struggled. So, you're talking about a guy with elite tools that will play starters snaps who will likely have his rookie ups and downs and plays for an offense that will likely never score more points than they did in week 1. There's some risk, but the good far outweighs the bad, imo.

I am in the sell high camp.

Jets O is not that good, and while Hill had a nice game, I particularly did not like how often he caught the ball with his body.

So, based on what we've seen so far, it will be interesting to see where Blackmon and Hill end up relative to each other from here on out. If Blackmon was on your waiver wire, what would you bid? I think that's basically the decision to make tonight.

With waivers running tonight I decided to at least put in a bid for him, albeit from the 12/12 slot. Cobb-Ogletree-Hill in that order. I possibly will get him, just not holding my breath.

Not sure if I even want him, however he would look better on my roster instead of Jennings (Jax).

1.) He will be a RZ target.

2.) He has 'BOOM' play capability.

This is the type of player that might put up goose eggs for you weeks in a row but will suddenly go off for:

4 Catches / 116 Yards / 2 Touchdown

As a Rookie he will be the PERFECT bye-week filler.

In redraft he will be had for peanuts and in Dynasty an early 2nd-Rounder will snag this kid. Regardless if he produces this year or not a 2nd-Rounder is a SMALL PRICE to pay considering the upside this kid has just off his measurables.

Grab him.
Please post this week's lotto numbers, just put up 6 random numbers, doesn't matter. WOW, what a post, just about nails it Week 1...5/89/2Td

I snagged him for $4 out of $100... seemed like solid value. He should be better than Greg Little as my flex receiver I hope.

Food for thought:

Stephen Hill is the 4th wide receiver to catch 2 TDs in their first NFL game. Randy Moss, Charles Rogers, and Anquan Boldin are the others. Rogers had a season-ending injury after 5 games his rookie year, but Moss ended up the #1 fantasy WR and Boldin ended up the #4 fantasy WR in their respective rookie seasons.

Food for thought:Stephen Hill is the 4th wide receiver to catch 2 TDs in their first NFL game. Randy Moss, Charles Rogers, and Anquan Boldin are the others. Rogers had a season-ending injury after 5 games his rookie year, but Moss ended up the #1 fantasy WR and Boldin ended up the #4 fantasy WR in their respective rookie seasons.
Hmmm... as a six-time dynasty league owner I love this stat, but I'm still skeptical based on how often he's letting ball get into his body.

Food for thought:Stephen Hill is the 4th wide receiver to catch 2 TDs in their first NFL game. Randy Moss, Charles Rogers, and Anquan Boldin are the others. Rogers had a season-ending injury after 5 games his rookie year, but Moss ended up the #1 fantasy WR and Boldin ended up the #4 fantasy WR in their respective rookie seasons.
Hmmm... as a six-time dynasty league owner I love this stat, but I'm still skeptical based on how often he's letting ball get into his body.
Wasn't Torrey Smith another speed guy that was a notorious body catcher going into his rookie year? He had a solid year, but I agree that it could be an issue.

There is room for improvement on his technique, but by all accounts he is a quick learner. He was supposed to be terrible at running short/intermediate routes, but certainly looked solid doing so in week 1. Another thing that no one has mentioned that is definitely going to accelerate his development is that in practice, he goes up against Revis and Cromartie every day. He's not going to face corners that good during games. That sound definitely help his technique.

Hill may make noise this year.. just saying, I picked him up like most did off waivers.

Not predicting he will be #1 WR or the next Randy Moss. Hill is on my bench in a wait and see mode.

What I do like about him is hes on the field all the time, is a big redzone target and is fast.

What I dont like is hes on the jets, has sanchez throwing to him, on a "running team," and wont w

have alot of targets (in ppr league)

All in all, someone comes out of nowhere in fantasy every year. Hopefully its Hill but remain skeptical.

Users who are viewing this thread