What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Tevin Coleman, SF (1 Viewer)

I'm not sure, just purely based on the fact that no RB at the combine ran that well. Think about it for a second, if Coleman ran at the combine (and posted a 4.4 lets say) and looked decent to above average in the drills how much hype would he be getting and possibly being considered as a consensus #3 RB? I think it's worth mentioning, that could have been possible. But we don't live in the past so because it's just a pro-day 40 time, and his draft status has kind of cooled off, it isn't as big of a deal. But if he ran at the combine and did that I think his overall value is higher than it currently is.
The combine times, inaccuracy, are a joke. That and Colman was expected to run this kind of time. I don't see this as any big deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure, just purely based on the fact that no RB at the combine ran that well. Think about it for a second, if Coleman ran at the combine (and posted a 4.4 lets say) and looked decent to above average in the drills how much hype would he be getting and possibly being considered as a consensus #3 RB? I think it's worth mentioning, that could have been possible. But we don't live in the past so because it's just a pro-day 40 time, and his draft status has kind of cooled off, it isn't as big of a deal. But if he ran at the combine and did that I think his overall value is higher than it currently is.
The combine times, inaccuracy, are a joke. That and Colman was expected to run this kind of time. I don't see this as any big deal.
Alot of other running backs were expected to run fast as well but didn't. https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/724758-rb-combine-predictions-over-or-under/ He is one of the few that was as good as advertised.

Alot of other running backs were expected to run fast as well but didn't. https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/724758-rb-combine-predictions-over-or-under/ He is one of the few that was as good as advertised.
That doesn't address either point I made.

It not a big deal to you but in real life it is a big deal. If it wasn't we would see scouts elevating Kevin White draft stock over Amari Cooper based on the notion that White is a few hundreds of a second faster.

It not a big deal to you but in real life it is a big deal. If it wasn't we would see scouts elevating Kevin White draft stock over Amari Cooper based on the notion that White is a few hundreds of a second faster.
And bigger....and stronger

Rotoworld:

Tevin Coleman - RB - Hoosiers

Indiana RB Tevin Coleman is "not going to be a power back, and his long-term durability is a concern, but there's no question he's a home run hitter," wrote ESPN's Todd McShay.

The analyst passes along that some are comparing Coleman to Chris Johnson because of his skill set and body type. "He ran in the 4.3s at his pro day in the 40-yard dash, and that translates to the field," McShay wrote. "His lateral agility isn't great, and neither is his power, but he's a great fit for a zone-blocking scheme that will take advantage of his above-average vision and patience and allows him to make one cut and explode up the field once a crease opens up." Coleman could be an attractive Round 2 option.

Source: ESPN Insider

Apr 25 - 10:27 PM

Rotoworld:

Indiana RB Tevin Coleman is "not going to be a power back, and his long-term durability is a concern, but there's no question he's a home run hitter," wrote ESPN's Todd McShay.The analyst passes along that some are comparing Coleman to Chris Johnson because of his skill set and body type. "He ran in the 4.3s at his pro day in the 40-yard dash, and that translates to the field," McShay wrote. "His lateral agility isn't great, and neither is his power, but he's a great fit for a zone-blocking scheme that will take advantage of his above-average vision and patience and allows him to make one cut and explode up the field once a crease opens up." Coleman could be an attractive Round 2 option.

Chris Johnson lol. Big difference between a 4.5 guy and a 4.2 guy.

Rotoworld:

Indiana RB Tevin Coleman is "not going to be a power back, and his long-term durability is a concern, but there's no question he's a home run hitter," wrote ESPN's Todd McShay.The analyst passes along that some are comparing Coleman to Chris Johnson because of his skill set and body type. "He ran in the 4.3s at his pro day in the 40-yard dash, and that translates to the field," McShay wrote. "His lateral agility isn't great, and neither is his power, but he's a great fit for a zone-blocking scheme that will take advantage of his above-average vision and patience and allows him to make one cut and explode up the field once a crease opens up." Coleman could be an attractive Round 2 option.

He ran a 4.3 at pro day...

Rotoworld:

He ran a 4.3 at pro day...
A 4.39. Pro days are typically a tenth faster than the combine. He's a 4.5 guy. Everyone is the next Chris Johnson or Jamaal Charles. Big difference in having speed in college and having video game speed at the pro level.

I wouldn't be so quick to discount a pro day time... Stop watches are made one way and count in the same standard way...

There were a lot of NFL stopwatches at his pro day as he did not run at the combine...

I wouldn't be so quick to discount a pro day time... Stop watches are made one way and count in the same standard way...

There were a lot of NFL stopwatches at his pro day as he did not run at the combine...
Yet somehow pro day times are almost always faster than combine times...

Manual timing of this stuff is stupid

The tracks that they run on are not made the same way.That said, it is ridiculous that any of us take the combine numbers at face value. Xue has posted some good stuff on Amari Cooper vs Kevin White......very clear that, at best, White matched Cooper's speed. Yet the combine results say White ran faster. Absurd.

Rotoworld:

The Lions sent RBs coach Curtis Modkins to Indiana RB Tevin Coleman's personal Pro Day on April 15.

Typically, NFL teams have genuine interest in a player when they send their position coach to that player's workout. There isn't a better fit in the draft than Coleman-to-Detroit, where he would add much-needed speed to the NFL's slowest backfield. As beat writer Dave Birkett noted, coach Jim Caldwell selected a first-round running back (Donald Brown) during his first year as the Colts' head coach. Coleman is a sleeper to be drafted by Detroit at No. 23 overall.

Related: Lions

Source: Dave Birkett on Twitter
Apr 26 - 12:09 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Todd McShay writes that when Indiana RB Tevin Coleman "gets a crease, it's over."

"He's a little like Jamaal Charles and Chris Johnson in terms of his ability to accelerate quickly through the hole and break off a big gain," McShay wrote. The analyst told of his experience watching tape of Ohio State's Mike Bennett or Iowa's Carl Davis and seeing Coleman constantly ripping off long touchdown runs. Indeed, Coleman led the country in 30-, 40-, 50- and 60-yard runs and tied for the lead in 70-, 80- and 90-yard runs. "I don't think Coleman is a complete back, as he doesn't have ideal power and balance and he's a little bit high-cut, but he's an elite breakaway threat that a team would do well to draft later on Day 2," McShay wrote.

Apr 26 - 9:03 PM

national football posts grade coleman out as high as gurley and gordon.

28 Melvin Gordon RB Wisconsin rJr 73 215 6.8

33 Todd Gurley RB Georgia Jr 73 222 6.8 m

34 Tevin Coleman RB Indiana Jr 71 206 6.8 m

Rotoworld:

According to STATS, Indiana RB Tevin Coleman broke a tackle or made a defender miss on just 12.2 percent of his college carries.

Todd Gurley, Jay Ajayi, and Melvin Gordon were all over 21 percent. Duke Johnson broke a tackle or made a defender miss on 19 percent of his runs. Coleman's long speed and big-play ability are not in doubt, and his ability to pass protect will greatly enhance his chances of playing early. But he isn't an elusive runner, and it's borne out in both the stats and on game tape.

Source: NFL.com

Apr 27 - 4:17 PM

freeman isn't that good. coleman should start from day 1. easy mid 1st consideration and because of where some other rbs and wrs landed he could be an later first round steal.

Me too. I have 1.03 rookie pick. But I also have Freeman and D.Robinson. Coleman or Yeldon.? I hope to trade down and get both.

This guy is going to be a turd. Opportunity matters, but this guy can't break a tackle for his life. He'll rival Chris Johnson for most times getting tackled behind the LoS.
Maybe, but Johnson managed a pretty solid career with at least 1 outstanding season. I'm betting most people would love a Johnson type career return out of Coleman.

I am a Freeman owner in one league. The Coleman pick is actually not that bad for me.

Expectations always were that somebody gets drafted in Atlanta, so it's not like anybody is surprised now. There was talk about Gurley, talk about Gordon, and lots of talk about other bigger, stronger, Alfred-Morris-with-Shanahan-ZBS-type of RBs.

Now we get Coleman. Based on what I read about his strenghts and weakness, it seems he is less of a threat to dominate touches compared to the options above. I find it much more plausible that Shanahan foresees a 60-40 split for Freeman, where Freeman is the standard back and Coleman gets the less conventional touches, designed to get him big-play opportunities. So - sure - Freeman takes a hit, but smaller than expected.

And I think comparisons to Jamaal Charles and even Chris Johnson are extremely premature. Seriously? Coleman has to show a lot in the NFL before we get there.

I am a Freeman owner in one league. The Coleman pick is actually not that bad for me.

Expectations always were that somebody gets drafted in Atlanta, so it's not like anybody is surprised now. There was talk about Gurley, talk about Gordon, and lots of talk about other bigger, stronger, Alfred-Morris-with-Shanahan-ZBS-type of RBs.

Now we get Coleman. Based on what I read about his strenghts and weakness, it seems he is less of a threat to dominate touches compared to the options above. I find it much more plausible that Shanahan foresees a 60-40 split for Freeman, where Freeman is the standard back and Coleman gets the less conventional touches, designed to get him big-play opportunities. So - sure - Freeman takes a hit, but smaller than expected.

And I think comparisons to Jamaal Charles and even Chris Johnson are extremely premature. Seriously? Coleman has to show a lot in the NFL before we get there.
Sounds like wishful thinking. Freeman was a fith rounder drafted by old regime. Coleman was a third round pick of the new regime. Freeman doesn't even get the benefit of having a year in the offense, since the offense has changed.

My man! The ZBS was made for Coleman. His talent will prevail sooner than later. Never say never, but Coleman has a lot going for him here.

Isn't the run blocking in ATL terrible? How will Coleman break a tackle when there is no hole for him to even run straight through... He will be dependent on the run blocking.

What's his ADP now in rookie drafts? I like the kid and Atlanta is a decent landing spot but I'm guessing he's an early 2nd now?

What's his ADP now in rookie drafts? I like the kid and Atlanta is a decent landing spot but I'm guessing he's an early 2nd now?
Not sure on actual adp yet, but I am expecting him to be more of a late first, 1.08-1.12 range.

That was last year.

This year lil shanny will install that zbs that makes forsett look like Adrian peterson
The zone scheme requires patience and can be tough for speedy guys that don't know how to give it time to set up... It could be good, but I don't know if Coleman has that kind of patience at the moment.ETA: I don't know if this is really a match made in heaven... I'm skeptical he's the right kind of back for Shanny. They should have went for Yeldon early or David Johnson, or even Duke Johnson seems like a better fit IMO.

ShamrockPride said:
Not sure on actual adp yet, but I am expecting him to be more of a late first, 1.08-1.12 range.
I'm expecting a little higher. The way I'm seeing it, there are only 5, maybe 6 guys you for sure take before him. The three WRs (W,C,Pa), the two RBs (G,G), and maybe if you want to throw Winston in there...beyond that he's at least on par with anybody else.
It will be interesting to see. He was the 5th RB taken and at least that many receivers could go before him. Then the Johnsons both went to decent spots soon after he did.

I have the 1.11 and he's the one guy I'm hoping goes before me so I can get one of the 10 players I like.

When we compare the receiving numbers of Coleman and Gordon, as well as their performances against common opponents, both running backs yield similar results. Coleman ended up with fewer receiving yards (141) than Gordon (151), but before Sudfeld was injured, he was doing quite a bit in the passing game, including catching a few wheel routes and making a huge catch and run that set up the game-winning touchdown against Mizzou.

Under Diamont, Coleman never reached above single-digit passing yards in a game for the rest of the season, but had Sudfeld remained in, this might have been a different story. Thus, when compared with the rest of the offense for both teams, Coleman ends up looking more impressive as well.

Comparing Coleman and Gordon against common opponents also basically ends up as a stalemate between the two.

- Both rushed for the same amount of yards and carries against Maryland (122 yards on 22 carries)

- Gordon bested Coleman's rushing yards against Bowling Green (253 vs. 190) and Purdue (205 vs.130)

- Coleman held the advantage against Iowa (209 vs. 200) and Rutgers (307 vs. 128). And while those Iowa numbers are close, Coleman had 14.6 YPC in this game compared to Gordon's 6.5.

- When Coleman played the Buckeyes, he ran for 228 yards and 3 touchdowns - compared to 26 carries for 76 yards for Gordon.

http://www.crimsonquarry.com/2014/12/4/7331309/tevin-coleman-melvin-gordon-heisman-indiana-wisconsin-football

Users who are viewing this thread