What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Tevin Coleman, SF (3 Viewers)

Tevin Coleman (knee) won't play in Week 10 against the Saints.

The 49ers will give all of Raheem Mostert (knee), Deebo Samuel (hamstring) and Coleman an extended rest ahead of the team's Week 11 bye. It will be another contest for Jerick McKinnon to handle the load as he did with 15 of the team's 21 backfield touches in last week's blowout as a low-end RB2. Mostert and Coleman should both be back in Week 12 against the Rams.

SOURCE: Nick Wagoner on Twitter

Nov 13, 2020, 4:50 PM ET

So which SF RB is the one to roster after their bye week? Coleman and Mostert should be back - one of them or McKinnon ? All are on WW any worth picking up and taking flyer ?  Any opinions, or backfield just a mess and avoid. 

jimjack said:
So which SF RB is the one to roster after their bye week? Coleman and Mostert should be back - one of them or McKinnon ? All are on WW any worth picking up and taking flyer ?  Any opinions, or backfield just a mess and avoid. 
sprint to get mostert

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said Tevin Coleman (knee) won't play in Week 12 against the Rams.

Coleman will be out for one more week. Meanwhile Raheem Mostert (foot) and Jeff Wilson will be activated from injured reserve on Saturday with a shot to play versus Los Angeles. With Deebo Samuel in but Brandon Aiyuk likely still on the team's COVID list, the entire Niners offense is a touch-and-go situation for fantasy. Coleman will merely get a handful of touches as Mostert's backup when the former is cleared to return.

SOURCE: Matt Maiocco on Twitter

Nov 27, 2020, 5:04 PM ET

Tevin Coleman (knee) is absent from the 49ers' Week 13 injury report. 

This is Coleman — so there could always be a setback — but it means he will be active for the first time since Week 8 and only the second time since Week 2. The much bigger question is his potential role in a backfield dominated by Raheem Mostert in Week 12. Coleman could siphon some of Jerick McKinnon's receiving work and Jeff Wilson's early-down banging, but probably not enough to carve out actual FLEX value vs. the Bills on Monday Night Football. Time and again, Coleman has proven to be fool's gold in fantasy. It is best to have zero expectations for the playoffs. 

SOURCE: Matt Barrows on Twitter 

Dec 3, 2020, 6:26 PM ET

The Athletic's Connor Hughes suggests free agent RB Tevin Coleman is "one name to watch" for the Jets.

It's a logical fit since Coleman previously worked with OC Mike LaFleur, who's expected to call a similar zone-running scheme with the Jets, in San Francisco. With only Ty Johnson, Josh Adams, and sophomore La’Mical Perine as competition, it's legitimately possible for Coleman to step right in and be used atop this depth chart. It's still concerning that the Jets return the same starting five o-linemen from last year.

RELATED: 

New York Jets

SOURCE: Connor Hughes on Twitter

Mar 22, 2021, 3:53 PM ET

Jets signed RB Tevin Coleman, formerly of the 49ers, to a one-year contract.

The deal is worth up to $2 million. It's a terrific landing spot for Coleman, who knows the new coaching staff after spending the past couple years in San Francisco with new coach Robert Saleh and OC Mike LaFleur. The Jets don't have a whole lot of backfield talent, and Coleman should get a chance to lead this group that also includes 2020 draft pick La'Mical Perine, Ty Johnson, and Josh Adams. Coleman's biggest hurdle has been staying healthy. In his prime, he was one of the more dynamic speed backs with the Falcons.

RELATED: 

San Francisco 49ers

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 24, 2021, 4:31 PM ET

Carter owners: "Impossible!"

Ty owners: "Inconceivable!"

Perine owners: "Improbable!"

Former owners of SF running backs/scheme: "Probably right..."

ESPN's Rich Cimini reports Tevin Coleman's familiarity with the Jets offense gives him the "early edge" in the team's backfield competition.

Coleman, signed to a one-year deal this spring, spent the past couple years in San Francisco with new Jets head coach Robert Saleh and offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur, who operates the so-called Shanahan outside zone scheme. The oft-injured Coleman -- who's missed ten games over the past two years -- "has the most straightaway speed" of any New York back, according to Cimini, who cited NFL Next Gen Stats. "When he gets the ball in his hand and makes that one cut," Saleh said, "it's like he's shot out of a cannon." Coleman will compete with fourth-rounder rookie RB Michael Carter and Ty Johnson for the team's starting job, though every indication is that LaFleur will deploy a committee approach. The Athletic's Connor Hughes said last week that "it won't be long before" Carter emerges as the Jets' top back. The rookie is the 31st running back off the draft board in seasonal formats while Coleman is being drafted as the RB56. Expect that gap to narrow over the next 90 days.

RELATED: 

Michael Carter

, Ty Johnson

SOURCE: ESPN.com 

Jun 8, 2021, 9:03 AM ET

I can't understand why Coleman isn't being taken higher in any drafts. Yes, the Jets aren't a great offense, but he's the starting RB on an NFL team and he's being taken as the 51st RB. Michael Carter, his backup, is going at RB 33 which seems sort of crazy in redraft.

For example, I drafted J Taylor last season and it partly wrecked my season because he never got going until it was too late for my team to do anything. I won my league's consolation bracket thanks to him, boo yeah.  He is far more talented than Carter but rookies find it hard to break in immediately for the most part.

But you might say James Robinson showed that a RB can have an immediate impact. Yes, but he further validates my point - very few players drafted him last year (one of my opponents did, sigh) but he was the starting RB on an NFL team - one that also was bad offensively and had a similarly undewhelming O line to the Jets.

I'm not saying he's a world beater, just that the game of football almost demands we draft him higher than he's going.

The vibe I'm getting is a 3-man committee that includes Ty Johnson.  I don't know if that's the right takeaway, but it would be consistent with RB51.

“he's the starting RB on an NFL team”

You can keep saying that as long as you’d like but everyone knows it’s a rbbc from the start. Gllll…….

I can't understand why Coleman isn't being taken higher in any drafts. Yes, the Jets aren't a great offense, but he's the starting RB on an NFL team and he's being taken as the 51st RB. Michael Carter, his backup, is going at RB 33 which seems sort of crazy in redraft.
All I can say is why I won't touch him in Redraft.  Coleman is on waivers in my dynasty league and I'm rostering Ty Johnson.  At this stage in Coleman's career he's unreliable and showing some age.  I dont think Coleman is even the 2nd best player in this 3 back RBBC.  So, yes... opportunity appears to be there but he will get injured or not perform and won't have a spot on this roster. Ty Johnson just looks like a better player and Michael Carter should start seeing more and more touches, which I think will come at the expense of Coleman.

He’s basically free. The #1 in a committee and probably the GL back. Throw a dart and see how the offense shakes out if you have the space. Stranger things have happened.

For example, I drafted J Taylor last season and it partly wrecked my season because he never got going until it was too late for my team to do anything. I won my league's consolation bracket thanks to him, boo yeah.  He is far more talented than Carter but rookies find it hard to break in immediately for the most part.

But you might say James Robinson showed that a RB can have an immediate impact. Yes, but he further validates my point - very few players drafted him last year (one of my opponents did, sigh) but he was the starting RB on an NFL team - one that also was bad offensively and had a similarly undewhelming O line to the Jets.

I'm not saying he's a world beater, just that the game of football almost demands we draft him higher than he's going.
the general feeling is that Coleman isn’t very good and he will almost surely get injured.  

owning Coleman might look good in week 1 or 2, but most ships are won in weeks 15-17….

Tevin Coleman is listed as the RB1 on the Jets Week 1 depth chart. 

Coleman's familiarity with the team's new offense proved insurmountable for Ty Johnson and rookie Michael Carter, leaving Coleman as the default RB1 headed into New York's Week 1 matchup against Carolina. ESPN's Rich Cimini said in June that Coleman has the most straightaway speed" of any New York back, appearing to be "shot out of cannon" once he's made his cut in the famed Shanahan rushing attack. No one's idea of an exciting fantasy option, Coleman should be considered in some deeper fantasy formats against the Panthers. Ty Johnson would likely be next in the pecking order if Carter's concerning preseason usage is any indication. NBC Sports Edge's John Daigle recommended Johnson and Coleman as waiver wire adds this week. 

RELATED: 

Ty Johnson

, Michael Carter

SOURCE: NewYorkJets.com 

Sep 7, 2021, 11:26 AM ET

He may start but it will be at least a 3 RB committee and at this point he’ll likely be the least effective commitee member which means maybe he isn’t starting for too long.

On top of the HB Wesco will likely be getting some of the “RB catches”. 

Tevin Coleman rushed nine times for 24 yards in the Jets' Week 1 loss to the Panthers.

Coleman managed just 2.7 YPC and wasn't targeted on the day. Ty Johnson mixed in for 4-15 as a rusher and 3-1-11 as a receiver. Michael Carter rushed 4-6 and 2-1-14 as a receiver. Overall the Jets' rushing attack was hard to watch and looks to be a true three-way committee. Although with Johnson and Carter looking far more dynamic than Coleman, that may eventually change. No Jets running back can't be trusted in Week 2's matchup with the Patriots.

Tevin Coleman (non-COVID illness) has been ruled out for Week 3 against the Broncos.

Coleman's snap share fell to 10% in Week 2, so it's not clear he could have had much of a role even if healthy. Ty Johnson and Michael Carter can be expected to split the workload this week. Coleman can be safely dropped in all redraft leagues.

Sep 24, 2021, 4:59 PM ET

Any word on this guy's Concussion? Getting desperate for RBs to even play. I dropped him thinking Carter will be back next week and it's the Saints. I need bodies though. 

I'll let someone else bid on him.

why? shouldn't he be in high demand?

Don’t need him for this week. Not enough upside to warrant a stash.

Guess if you can land with a low FAAB bid or no priority waiver it’s fine. I’ve never been a fan; Sunday was his first 15 point game since 2019. Last time he had two B2B was 2019.

In his favor he was the only other SF RB to receive a touch, so he might be next man up for a few weeks.

I'll let someone else bid on him.

why? shouldn't he be in high demand?
He reverts back to the practice squad Monday. He can easily get 1 carry or get a 1/3rd of the snaps range of outcomes on this RB room let alone Tevin Coleman is all over the place. I feel this really proves it is the system in SF. That being said rationale coaching would say he is the hottest hand. Fine for a stash but savvy to not get carried away, he went thru waivers in my league I might drop Damian Williams for him.

An update no one asked for* Deciding factor is I saw Williams (ATL) is up against Tevin (SF) this week. And also Tevin used to be on Falcons so revenge game?! :). I can't imagine SF lets a returning Williams do much if anything and sounded like the ribs are still an issue.

Last edited:

The Athletic's Matt Barrows believes Tevin Coleman could play a big role in the 49ers backfield with Elijah Mitchell out.​

"Never underestimate Shanahan’s fondness for veteran Tevin Coleman" is the direct quote. Coleman had a 8/23/1 rushing line and a 3/44/1 receiving line in Week 5 against the Panthers and could be elevated off the practice squad. Jordan Mason took backup snaps on Sunday in part because Coleman wasn't elevated and Tyrion Davis-Price was a healthy scratch. It's possible that the 49ers only bring up one of those players for Week 13 -- it's also possible both have a role if Christian McCaffrey's knee discomfort is more than it seems. Coleman is worth a waiver wire claim in deeper leagues.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Nov 29, 2022, 1:51 PM ET

I'm bypassing Mason and Davis-Price, and gonna take a flier on the veteran Coleman. Hopefully, CMac will be fine.....but if he ends up missing some time to get him right for the playoffs, I could see Shanny pivoting to the trusted commodity.

49ers elevated RB Tevin Coleman from the practice squad for Sunday against the Eagles.​

The elevation paints an ominous picture for the game-day status of running back Elijah Mitchell, the latter of whom missed practice all three days this week leading up to the NFC Conference Championship showdown with the Eagles. That could spell a likely increase to lead back Christian McCaffrey's expected usage, who saw more than five additional opportunities per game in contests Mitchell missed this season.
Jan 28, 2023, 4:29 PM ET

49ers elevated RB Tevin Coleman from the practice squad for Sunday against the Eagles.​

The elevation paints an ominous picture for the game-day status of running back Elijah Mitchell, the latter of whom missed practice all three days this week leading up to the NFC Conference Championship showdown with the Eagles. That could spell a likely increase to lead back Christian McCaffrey's expected usage, who saw more than five additional opportunities per game in contests Mitchell missed this season.
Jan 28, 2023, 4:29 PM ET
Mitchell inactive. It's The NFL.
Coleman will score twice.

Users who are viewing this thread