What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Rhamondre Stevenson, NE (2 Viewers)

I think it’d be a mistake to think of the NE RB situation in fantasy as being similar to the Tom Brady days. Those days are over. This is still going to be a bottom of the league passing attack that makes its bread running the ball. Defense and winning the time of possession battle is how the Patriots are trying to win. The fantasy RB8 in 2021 and RB13 in 2022 has come from New England. Expect more of the same in 2023. By all means drop Stevenson a round if you truly believe Zeke is a threat to his numbers, but anything beyond that is overthinking it.

Also, there is one other thing many are not accounting for which caused a ton of fantasy headaches...and it applies to both Stevenson and Zeke which is a little odd...in the past the primary Patriot RBs were either runners or receivers...it was very rare that they did both...Burkhead is one that comes to mind, but I really don't consider him one of their primary RBs...he was more of a role player...right now both Stevenson and Zeke can do both which is a huge boost for their fantasy value since it appears this is gonna be a two-man show...IMO the biggest threat to Stevenson was Strong having a role because there was a good chance it was going to eat into his receptions...so right now the x-factor is do they bring in another RB that can fill that role (or does Montgomery miraculously become productive)...with all the other holes they have I can't picture being anything of substance if they do...so, unless Zeke regains some of his form from a few years ago I think Stevenson is in as good of a fantasy spot as any Patriot RB since Dillon.
You nailed it on the head. Past RBBC which had “big backs” like Maroney, Green-Ellis, Ridley, and Blount, those were guys who didn’t factor at all as pass catchers. So there had to be a guy like Faulk, Woodhead, Vereen, or White around for that role. Montgomery was slated to be that guy but it’s not a lock that he even makes the team and he’s just not good. Strong was the most upside possibility as you mentioned and he’s gone. That leaves Kevin Harris and J.J. Taylor, both who provide nothing as pass catchers and aren’t a threat to Stevenson or Zeke’s carries. How much of the pie those two get individually is anyone’s guess but it’s fair to say those two combined are eating almost the whole pie, leaving only crumbs for the rest of the RB room. Stevenson is a set it and forget it RB1/2 in fantasy easily.

I think it’d be a mistake to think of the NE RB situation in fantasy as being similar to the Tom Brady days. Those days are over. This is still going to be a bottom of the league passing attack that makes its bread running the ball. Defense and winning the time of possession battle is how the Patriots are trying to win. The fantasy RB8 in 2021 and RB13 in 2022 has come from New England. Expect more of the same in 2023. By all means drop Stevenson a round if you truly believe Zeke is a threat to his numbers, but anything beyond that is overthinking it.

Also, there is one other thing many are not accounting for which caused a ton of fantasy headaches...and it applies to both Stevenson and Zeke which is a little odd...in the past the primary Patriot RBs were either runners or receivers...it was very rare that they did both...Burkhead is one that comes to mind, but I really don't consider him one of their primary RBs...he was more of a role player...right now both Stevenson and Zeke can do both which is a huge boost for their fantasy value since it appears this is gonna be a two-man show...IMO the biggest threat to Stevenson was Strong having a role because there was a good chance it was going to eat into his receptions...so right now the x-factor is do they bring in another RB that can fill that role (or does Montgomery miraculously become productive)...with all the other holes they have I can't picture being anything of substance if they do...so, unless Zeke regains some of his form from a few years ago I think Stevenson is in as good of a fantasy spot as any Patriot RB since Dillon.
You nailed it on the head. Past RBBC which had “big backs” like Maroney, Green-Ellis, Ridley, and Blount, those were guys who didn’t factor at all as pass catchers. So there had to be a guy like Faulk, Woodhead, Vereen, or White around for that role. Montgomery was slated to be that guy but it’s not a lock that he even makes the team and he’s just not good. Strong was the most upside possibility as you mentioned and he’s gone. That leaves Kevin Harris and J.J. Taylor, both who provide nothing as pass catchers and aren’t a threat to Stevenson or Zeke’s carries. How much of the pie those two get individually is anyone’s guess but it’s fair to say those two combined are eating almost the whole pie, leaving only crumbs for the rest of the RB room. Stevenson is a set it and forget it RB1/2 in fantasy easily.

And you have a QB that has no relevance in the running game...it just can't be this easy with a Patriot RB...somethings gotta give.

Just curious . . . given the state of their OL, the toughness of their schedule, the QBs they have to face, the history of BOB in terms of play calling (55% pass / 45% run over 10 years), how likely are the Pats going to be in a position to run the football? If the Pats want to rely on run on first down, run on second down, and hope Jones can convert on third down, it will be a very long season. As already discussed, BOB up until now really hasn't integrated RB into the passing game all that much.

Maybe this matters, maybe it doesn't . . . each team's best fantasy RB in years with BOB calling offense or as HC:

2009 - Maroney RB36
2010 - BJGE RB19
2011 - BJGE RB28
2014 - Foster RB5
2015 - Blue RB47
2016 - Miller RB19
2017 - Miller RB16
2018 - Miller RB23
2019 - Hyde RB28
2020 - Johnson RB21

Yeah, I get it, different years, different teams, different situations, RS the best skilled position player on the Pats. But BOB as the OC would not excite me as a Stevenson owner. (On a side note, NE rushing attempts were very low last year . . . down about 100 attempts from the year's when they were winning a lot with Brady.) So yes, it's a whole new world in NE these days without Brady, and up until now that has resulted in a reduced workload for the RB group as a whole.

While Harris did well in 2021 and Stevenson did well in 2022, they did well due to the absence of the other. In games when they both played, the workload was split almost 50/50 and their individual totals were nowhere near the same as when both backs played. IMO, if Elliott is playing, that will limit the opportunities of Stevenson more than some people think. Harris ranked so high due to a crazy high TD total, while Stevenson ranked so high due to a very high reception total. There may not be a ton of rushing TD opportunities and personally, I think RS will see fewer receptions. But that's why they play the games.

Man I can't wait to revisit this thread in a month or two. While I think he hits, my second most desired outcome is he clearly busts. I don't think I can survive another 10 pages of the same exact posts over and over again lol.

Rivaling the Charbonnet and Brett Rypein thread as the worst threads on the board. And I'm not even sure that's how you spell Rypien because that's what a non-entity that ****ing guy is.

Rivaling the Charbonnet and Brett Rypein thread as the worst threads on the board. And I'm not even sure that's how you spell Rypien because that's what a non-entity that ****ing guy is.
So bad that adding clarity would've obviously been easy, but you chose to say this instead...

So bad that adding clarity would've obviously been easy, but you chose to say this instead...

There is no clarity until the season starts and we see how Belichick chooses to deploy them. See, you thinking you can predict with clarity or add clarity to the situation is the exact reason why this thread sucks. You've just got two differing opinions, and those are like you-know-whats. Everyone has one, and they're all foul.

The premise you've posited is wrong. Nobody knows or can know. All you can do is point to talent or historical trends, and both aren't enough evidence to do jack squat.

Well, after reading this thread all off-season I have decided to keep Joe Mixon over RS this year. Too much opportunity and too little competition for touches in that Cinci offense. Just thought you guys might want to know! ;)

Sad day. No chance he makes it back to me in the third

Last edited:
Zeke WILL vulture more TDs than Stevenson owners care to believe.
I believe Zeke will surely take some, and maybe all, goal-line work, but none of us really know. It’s not like Stevenson isn’t built for it. I’ve seen mixed reports about his effectiveness in short yardage - but one season worth of data doesn’t really mean much anyway. There’s so many things that go into each short yardage attempt- sometimes the RB gets swamped at the handoff.

Zeke is still very good at it though - that’s known.

I have Stevenson in one dynasty - I’m not worried about him even after Zeke’s acquisition- but of course I liked his outlook a lot better before Zeke. He went from a strong RB2 with RB1 upside to a mid to low end RB2 - with his ceiling capped by Zeke’s health but still some scenarios which give him RB1 upside.

Do we know this or are we guessing here?
Nobody knows. But it's a reasonable educated guess. The one think Zeke is still good at is goal line. The corpse of Zeke was third in the league in GL success last year. They're going to use him somewhere. That is where.
I know. Of course I know. I know for an absolute, irrefutable fact exactly how many TDs the Patriot RBs will score this year. I know with 100% certainty how many TDs Rhamondre and Zeke will score.

I am shocked other people don't know this valuable information.

For those who don't know, I am happy to provide that information to anyone who would like to join my 100% Mortal Lock Magic Football Club for a modest monthly payment of $5.99 (ad supported content) or $19.99 (ad free)*

*In club bonus content not included.

I'll tell ya what; my biggest concern for Rhamondre ATM is WTH is going on with the Patriots in general?

ATM they have decided to go with no backup for Mac Jones (Zappe & McSorley both cut). Hard to have confidence in the long term plans of this coaching staff if they feel a street free agent, or no backup at all, is a good plan forward for 2023.

I might be out on all Patriots at this point.

Nobody knows. But it's a reasonable educated guess. The one think Zeke is still good at is goal line. The corpse of Zeke was third in the league in GL success last year. They're going to use him somewhere. That is where.
I know. Of course I know. I know for an absolute, irrefutable fact exactly how many TDs the Patriot RBs will score this year. I know with 100% certainty how many TDs Rhamondre and Zeke will score.

For those who don't know, I am happy to provide that information to anyone who would like to join my 100% Mortal Lock Magic Football Club for a modest monthly payment of $5.99 (ad supported content) or $19.99 (ad free)*

Somebody will pay for that

I'll tell ya what; my biggest concern for Rhamondre ATM is WTH is going on with the Patriots in general?

ATM they have decided to go with no backup for Mac Jones (Zappe & McSorley both cut). Hard to have confidence in the long term plans of this coaching staff if they feel a street free agent, or no backup at all, is a good plan forward for 2023.

People clearly don’t get what is going on. Every player the Pats cut today stands little chance of being signed by another team. The QBs and RBs could (and likely will) end up on their practice squad. They are short offensive lineman due to injuries, so they have no choice but to keep more of them. They also want to keep depth at other positions (WR, DB, etc.) They more than likely will have the same player options as they did yesterday, just not all of them will be on the 53-man roster. Just like in past years they didn’t have a PK on the roster until right before the season started. They wanted to keep players at other positions.

Somebody will pay for that
Only if they want to know the truth.

People clearly don’t get what is going on. Every player the Pats cut today stands little chance of being signed by another team. The QBs and RBs could (and likely will) end up on their practice squad. They are short offensive lineman due to injuries, so they have no choice but to keep more of them. They also want to keep depth at other positions (WR, DB, etc.) They more than likely will have the same player options as they did yesterday, just not all of them will be on the 53-man roster. Just like in past years they didn’t have a PK on the roster until right before the season started. They wanted to keep players at other positions.
I fully understand what they are trying to do (don't you know how much I know? You need to sign up for my service).

But if the plan is to have a backup QB that will clear waivers (will Zappe?) then I think we should all question everything that preceded that decision.

Might be time to abandon ship.

I fully understand what they are trying to do (don't you know how much I know? You need to sign up for my service).

But if the plan is to have a backup QB that will clear waivers (will Zappe?) then I think we should all question everything that preceded that decision.

Why should I pay for your service when your best stuff is here on FBG?

Why should I pay for your service when your best stuff is here on FBG?
That's just the free taste.

And Harris vultured TDs last year, and Stevenson still ended up as a solid RB2. If you drafted him to be an RB1, you may (or may not) be disappointed. If not, you will most likely be happy with his production with similar numbers as last year.

And Harris vultured TDs last year, and Stevenson still ended up as a solid RB2. If you drafted him to be an RB1, you may (or may not) be disappointed. If not, you will most likely be happy with his production with similar numbers as last year.
I'm honestly surprised of the fear of Zeke here.

While there have been glowing reports from camp, there was also glowing reports the last two summers on the likes of Ty Montgomery.

There's a non zero chance Zeke is also cooked.

I'm gladly drafting Rhamandre if he's sitting there in the 3rd.

I'm honestly surprised of the fear of Zeke here.

While there have been glowing reports from camp, there was also glowing reports the last two summers on the likes of Ty Montgomery.

There's a non zero chance Zeke is also cooked.

I'm gladly drafting Rhamandre if he's sitting there in the 3rd.
A decent amount of my drafts have gone #1WR/Pollard/RS/Waller/Lockett and they all feel like the best ones by far (tend to be picking mid to late in all my leagues for whatever reason). The only real deviation has been when Hurts falls to the third round he's been an auto-pick over RS for me, in which case I just stack up mid tier RBs in the middle rounds.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Zeke finish in the top 5 rushing TDs.
Does this mean you have the confidence to start Zeke every week?
Not at all. Unless Stevenson is injured or benched, Zeke will have under 50 yards every week. If he doesn't score, he's useless.
In 0 PPR leagues, Stevenson has scored 6 or fewer fantasy points in 12 of the 29 games he's played in. Zeke scored 6 points or less in 9 of the 32 games he played in the past two seasons. Sure, Elliott is TD dependent, but he's scored 24 times the past two seasons compared to 11 for Stevenson. Maybe that is completely irrelevant, but even a less gas in the tank Elliott scored more than twice as many TD than RS did those seasons.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Zeke finish in the top 5 rushing TDs.
Does this mean you have the confidence to start Zeke every week?
Not at all. Unless Stevenson is injured or benched, Zeke will have under 50 yards every week. If he doesn't score, he's useless.
In 0 PPR leagues, Stevenson has scored 6 or fewer fantasy points in 12 of the 29 games he's played in. Zeke scored 6 points or less in 9 of the 32 games he played in the past two seasons. Sure, Elliott is TD dependent, but he's scored 24 times the past two seasons compared to 11 for Stevenson. Maybe that is completely irrelevant, but even a less gas in the tank Elliott scored more than twice as many TD than RS did those seasons.
It's not completely irrelevant. It's the central argument against Stevenson. Zeke is going to score the bulk of the TDs, capping Stevenson's upside and frustrating his owners. In PPR. Stevenson will produce enough to be startable, but is unlikely to win much for you. In non-PPR, let's just say the rest of your team better be loaded. In any format, as long as both are active, this is a committee I would rather avoid.

I was pretty high on him even ten days ago but looking at this offense now has me dropping him down my rankings. Honestly, Zeke is the least of my concern.
I feel the same - Zeke was never going to be an issue for Mondre. These latest cuts were very odd. That division is loaded this year. There is a pretty easy scenario to picture here where they really struggle with Philly/Miami/NYJ/Dallas out of the gate, Mac starts being a b**** again and that team sours. All 4 of those teams have defenses that will likely make for an ugly 0-4 start.

Rhamondre Stevenson rushed 12 times for 25 yards in the Patriots’ Week 1 loss against the Eagles, adding six receptions for an additional 64 yards.

The Eagles were able to bottle up Stevenson for most of the game especially on the ground. He later got things going in the receiving game as the Patriots attempted a comeback. Stevenson may find more luck on the ground against the Dolphins’ who gave up more than 100 rushing yards to Austin Ekeler.

- Rotoworld

looked lioke he wasnt 100% to me - plus game script wasnt good for him - maybe a buy low window!
He had a stomach bug this week. He didn't do much running the ball (and when he did the Pats got called for penalties). On the plus side for Stevenson, he played 58 snaps to Elliott's 28. Hard to conclude much about NE's plan at RB given they fell behind early and were playing catch up all game.

I sort of disagree with the game script part. Stevenson benefitted from NE having to pass the entire 4th quarter and earned 5 of his 6 receptions for 59 yards very late in the game. Without that, his day would have been a fantasy disaster. RS should be healthier next week and will average more than 2 yards a carry.

looked lioke he wasnt 100% to me - plus game script wasnt good for him - maybe a buy low window!
He had a stomach bug this week. He didn't do much running the ball (and when he did the Pats got called for penalties). On the plus side for Stevenson, he played 58 snaps to Elliott's 28. Hard to conclude much about NE's plan at RB given they fell behind early and were playing catch up all game.

I sort of disagree with the game script part. Stevenson benefitted from NE having to pass the entire 4th quarter and earned 5 of his 6 receptions for 59 yards very late in the game. Without that, his day would have been a fantasy disaster. RS should be healthier next week and will average more than 2 yards a carry.

Only watched on RZ, but what I did see was Mac had him open a LOT on check-downs, never even looked his way (until 4Q), then through into double coverage. Hopefully they pick up on that during film review this week. Probably should have had another 4 receptions.

Rapaport is reporting 'starter reps' for Elliott this week against Dallas. How concerned should we be? I don't think I'm concerned enough to play Kelley or Warren over Stevenson.

Rapaport is reporting 'starter reps' for Elliott this week against Dallas. How concerned should we be? I don't think I'm concerned enough to play Kelley or Warren over Stevenson.
Debating Jakobi Meyers. If LV weren’t starting a backup QB in his first ever game it would be a much easier decision

Users who are viewing this thread