What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Joe Mixon, HOU (1 Viewer)

ProFootballDoc

There was no traumatic injury obvious by video on Thursday night, but Mixon entered and exited the game several times.

This likely means something that comes and goes in his knee.

The two most likely culprits are a meniscus tear that flips around or a loose body (floating chip of bone).

Think of it like a pebble in your shoe. When it’s between the toes, it doesn't bother you. But when the small rock moves to the ball of your foot, it causes pain.

I have not examined Mixon nor seen his MRI, but this would be the main potential causes for his intermittent symptoms.

The good news is it can be cured with a scope.

The better news is, barring anything else being discovered, a simple meniscus trim or removal of a loose body leads to the quickest of recoveries.

If he has the scope soon, with the Thursday game, he could be back and effective after missing only one game (or maybe two) and should quickly return to near 100 percent.

Surgery is never good news. In this case, however, it is not all bad.

ProFootballDoc

There was no traumatic injury obvious by video on Thursday night, but Mixon entered and exited the game several times.

This likely means something that comes and goes in his knee.

The two most likely culprits are a meniscus tear that flips around or a loose body (floating chip of bone).

Think of it like a pebble in your shoe. When it’s between the toes, it doesn't bother you. But when the small rock moves to the ball of your foot, it causes pain.

I have not examined Mixon nor seen his MRI, but this would be the main potential causes for his intermittent symptoms.

The good news is it can be cured with a scope.

The better news is, barring anything else being discovered, a simple meniscus trim or removal of a loose body leads to the quickest of recoveries.

If he has the scope soon, with the Thursday game, he could be back and effective after missing only one game (or maybe two) and should quickly return to near 100 percent.

Surgery is never good news. In this case, however, it is not all bad.
I just posted the same link right after you did but I think I deleted it.

This is great info and people should read this who want the best scoop on Mixon. Don't assume his situation is same as Michel.

I have an incredible knack this season of dropping guys just before the gold rush -- Gio dropped from my squad this last week to address WR depth with Baldwin being out.

smh

I was only able to get Gio on half my Mixon teams, I could not touch Gio in round 10 the times I lost out.

I love Mixon but honestly would have to say Gio without Mixon is to me at least just as good for PPR fantasy production as Mixon is with  Gio eating into his passing game work.

In other words if you are a Mixon owner sitting on Gio I don't think you'll miss him. Worst case his first game back you are unsure of roles, unsure if he's full go, otherwise I see this as nothing to worry about on Mixon/Gio teams.

Giovani Bernard last year when Mixon was injured, weeks 13-17:

Week     Snap %     Carries     Recs     Yds     TDS      PPR RB Finish

13          66.70%      13            2           96        0           25

14          86.40%      11            6           130      0           14

15          79.20%      14            5           43       1            19

16          73.20%      23            7           168     1            3

17          50%           10           6            70       0            21

Giovani Bernard last year when Mixon was injured, weeks 13-17:

Week     Snap %     Carries     Recs     Yds     TDS      PPR RB Finish

13          66.70%      13            2           96        0           25

14          86.40%      11            6           130      0           14

15          79.20%      14            5           43       1            19

16          73.20%      23            7           168     1            3

17          50%           10           6            70       0            21
Not bad plus Mixon averaged 11 touches a game between weeks 13, 16-17 so was not just the Gio show those weeks. Week 14 and 15 were only two weeks it was all Gio and in week 16 Mixon only played 7 snaps(5 touches). In other words weeks 14-16 are best guide for what Gio sans Mixon can do and why I said earlier despite my love for Mixon I don't think it's a fantasy loss if you got Gio. Not if you just need a few weeks out of Gio.

Sounds like it’s simply arthroscopy d/t pain from a floater(s). Which is great for Mixon owners because there are literally no lasting effects outside of the acute window and should not affect his play at all in 2ish weeks. Not sure if it’s even worth putting a bid on Gio - I’ll prob put a small one out on my RB needy teams. 

you cant count on one hand the number of games that Mixon will start this season. Gio is just better. Mixon is a bust 

he's not quite Trent Richardson-bad but he's well on his way. at some point Cincy will come to the realization that Gio is the better RB.

Gio is the pickup of week 3 and Mixon is trade bait to the guy who thinks he's being 'smart' by trading for him , now, while he's down...i.e., you're going to see the buy low offers for him , ones that you should jump on because this truly is a case of sell-high on a player. it would appear that the Mixon ship has sailed.

you cant count on one hand the number of games that Mixon will start this season. Gio is just better. Mixon is a bust 

he's not quite Trent Richardson-bad but he's well on his way. at some point Cincy will come to the realization that Gio is the better RB.

Gio is the pickup of week 3 and Mixon is trade bait to the guy who thinks he's being 'smart' by trading for him , now, while he's down...i.e., you're going to see the buy low offers for him , ones that you should jump on because this truly is a case of sell-high on a player. it would appear that the Mixon ship has sailed.
What?

Newsflash: RBs get hurt.

This doesn't sound as bad as it could've been. Hopefully just a few weeks.

If you own Mixon, a lot. If you're in dire need of help at RB, a moderate amount. If neither, not a lot. 
I think it's optimistic for any Gio owners to count on more than 2 weeks of him starting, but what do you project Gio to do in those two starts?

I think it's optimistic for any Gio owners to count on more than 2 weeks of him starting, but what do you project Gio to do in those two starts?
The match-ups aren't great (@CAR, @ATL) but he will be match-up proof in PPR. My guess is he'll be projected/ranked as a mid to high-end RB2 (PPR) for those match-ups. 

...And then tore the ACL in that weakened knee during the game, so maybe not the best example.
A decent example may be Trent Richardson, who I referred to in the Michel thread since his situation sounded somewhat similar at the time.

During Richardson's rookie year he underwent a clean-up procedure on August 9th and was back to running in late August and ready for the season opener on September 9th. I don't remember it being a problem for him during the season.

The match-ups aren't great (@CAR, @ATL) but he will be match-up proof in PPR. My guess is he'll be projected/ranked as a mid to high-end RB2 (PPR) for those match-ups. 
ATL just lost their two best defensive players Deion Jones and Keanu Neal for the season so massive downgrade there.

SameSongNDance said:
A decent example may be Trent Richardson, who I referred to in the Michel thread since his situation sounded somewhat similar at the time.

During Richardson's rookie year he underwent a clean-up procedure on August 9th and was back to running in late August and ready for the season opener on September 9th. I don't remember it being a problem for him during the season.
OK, so that’s 4 weeks.  Has Mixon had the surgery yet?  If he hasn’t, 4 weeks would putt the Pittsburgh game as a target?

Wait......are you saying he’s going to turn into Trent Richardson!!!!!?????? :shock:

David J. Chao, MD @ProFootballDoc

For reference, #PhilipRivers played 6 days after a knee scope in 2008 #AFCChampionshipGame. Hard to compare QB to RB but why I say #JoeMixon back after missing one game is possible.
...And then tore the ACL in that weakened knee during the game, so maybe not the best example.
If you are saying Rivers tore his ACL in that championship game, that is not accurate. He tore his MCL and ACL in the previous game, then had surgery to clean out cartilage the next day, then played the following weekend in the championship game.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you believe in the 2-4 week thing, good luck, more power to ya..when has that flimsy prediction ever held up with ANY NFL player? Bengals have a bye in week 9.6 weeks from now.check the schedule, they play defenses ranked 28+ vs. the run in those weeks. methinks they sit Mixon till week 10 let Gio run it up till then, bring in a fresh JM for the final 6 weeks - i.e., playoff push time.

Gio is more than capable of carrying the torch for 6 weeks. not gonna see Mixon till week 10, IMO..just dont see it happening.

Last edited by a moderator:

This is one of the most perplexing takes I've seen on this board. This same coaching staff has tried to replace Gio twice now with Hill and then Mixon and now you think they are going to decide he's the guy.

This doesn't even mention that Mixon has looked head and shoulders better than Gio this year

if you believe in the 2-4 week thing, good luck, more power to ya..when has that flimsy prediction ever held up with ANY NFL player? Bengals have a bye in week 9.6 weeks from now.check the schedule, they play defenses ranked 28+ vs. the run in those weeks. methinks they sit Mixon till week 10 let Gio run it up till then, bring in a fresh JM for the final 6 weeks - i.e., playoff push time.

Gio is more than capable of carrying the torch for 6 weeks. not gonna see Mixon till week 10, IMO..just dont see it happening.
Can I get some of what you are smoking?

This reeks of someone who is gonna push himself too hard post surgery.  Mixon isnt the sharpest tool in the shed and has been banged up a lot already. Take your 2 weeks off and see how you feel in the 3rd week.

This reeks of someone who is gonna push himself too hard post surgery.  Mixon isnt the sharpest tool in the shed and has been banged up a lot already. Take your 2 weeks off and see how you feel in the 3rd week.
Don't worry, it's a team medical decision, not his.

But everyone heals differently, and people's pain tolerance also varies greatly. The fact that he was able to steel himself twice last week to re-enter the game and run hard for 90 yards on a freshly torn meniscus tells you everything you need to know about how tough this man is.

Not really. Because he played Thursday, missing 1 game was always a very real possibility. I'm guessing he'll be a gtd next week but it won't surprise me if he plays. The week after that he'll definitely be back. 

what do you mean by this? 

what could he push too hard?

If his knee isnt swollen, there may be minimal, if any, weakness. if that's the case then there is no risk for playing.

he doesn't need anything to heal but his skin from the incisions. 

the biggest risk is if it is swollen and the quads are inhibited, then he will be performing suboptimally 

Let me guess.. Poster of Bernard in your room and President of the Bernard Fan club? 

Users who are viewing this thread