What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jaleel McLaughlin, DEN (2 Viewers)

Seems to always find a crease and get positive yardage and has a bit more burst than Javonte/Perine. It will be interesting to see how much Payton ends up using him on Sunday. Definitely worth a look.

McLaughlin “is going to get significant carries” in week 1 per @MaseDenver
Ah. Gotta love the internet and its fabricated click bait sound bites. The so-called "quote" is edited and conveniently omits the word "potentially."

It is lifted from a Cecil Lammey podcast on Friday. It is pure speculation and not based on any specific insider info of intended RB usage.

Mason: (paraphrased): If a 90% healthy Javonte is roughly equal to a 100% Perine...then why not balance it (50/50) between the two, and then have a "dash" of Jaleel McLaughlin in there?

Mason: (quote) And yes, I'm going to call my shot. Jaleel McLaughlin is going to get some carries. And he's going to get some, potentially, signficant carries. He's not gonna have a huge number but I think they're gonna be in situations that matter.

Lammey (quote): Yes. High value touches...touches that matter...I think that's what you're gonna see...you're not gonna see a series rotation...but you might...again, we could totally be off here.

Actual podcast...interpret to your heart's desire

Ah. Gotta love the internet and its fabricated click bait sound bites. The so-called "quote" is edited and conveniently omits the word "potentially."

It is lifted from a Cecil Lammey podcast on Friday. It is pure speculation and not based on any specific insider info of intended RB usage.

Mason: (paraphrased): If a 90% healthy Javonte is roughly equal to a 100% Perine...then why not balance it (50/50) between the two, and then have a "dash" of Jaleel McLaughlin in there?

Mason: (quote) And yes, I'm going to call my shot. Jaleel McLaughlin is going to get some carries. And he's going to get some, potentially, signficant carries. He's not gonna have a huge number but I think they're gonna be in situations that matter.

Lammey (quote): Yes. High value touches...touches that matter...I think that's what you're gonna see...you're not gonna see a series rotation...but you might...again, we could totally be off here.

Man, THIS type of post is exactly why FBGs adds more to my fantasy toolkit than random Twitter stuff. Much appreciated.

Man, THIS type of post is exactly why FBGs adds more to my fantasy toolkit than random Twitter stuff. Much appreciated.
Yea appreciate it

Part of me wants to start him this week, particularly with Javonte getting back up to speed.

You watch how the kid plays, how Payton talks about him, and how his teammates respond to him, it's really hard to imagine Payton not putting the ball in his hands regularly in high value situations.

10 touches (including 4-5 receptions) and a TD seems very much in play. With upside for more if he gets rolling.
And then reality hits us. Seemingly zero carries and only 1 reception (behind the LOS). Really thought he would get a few carries at least. :(

Part of me wants to start him this week, particularly with Javonte getting back up to speed.

You watch how the kid plays, how Payton talks about him, and how his teammates respond to him, it's really hard to imagine Payton not putting the ball in his hands regularly in high value situations.

10 touches (including 4-5 receptions) and a TD seems very much in play. With upside for more if he gets rolling.
And then reality hits us. Seemingly zero carries and only 1 reception (behind the LOS). Really thought he would get a few carries at least. :(
It was actually one carry and two recpts for three touches total (but only one official). All on one drive in the first half.

Holding penalty on the run and facemask when he was tackled on the other recpt did not go into the box score.

Last edited:

It was actually one carry and two recpts for three touches total. All on one drive in the first half.

Holding penalty on the run and facemask when he was tackled on the other recpt did not go into the box score.
And he lost yards on both of those non-touches.

Probably going to be a popular waiver addition this week.
I dropped him last week even though I wanted to hold him due to his story. I don't often do it, but I am going to make a play for him again and again more so because I like his story than that I like him more so than I think/believe he will upgrade my roster. There is a sliver of a chance that he could seize the Denver backfield and if this kid makes a big enough splash, watching him do it on my squad will just add to my enjoyment of watching this kid get it done.

Another UDFA dynasty find by Payton.

If Achane is undersized but is producing, I think this guy can do the same.

This season is probably the last season that I consider "ideal size" to be the end all be all for fantasy players. The smaller players with speed and shiftiness are needed to beat ridiculous edge rushers over shaky o-lines. They don't get blasted as much anymore.

180-190 lbs for RB and 160-170 lbs for WR's are my new minimum threshold for today's league. This is for truly valuable fantasy assets.

Good coaches will not get their smaller guys crushed by DT's or LB's going downhill or going uphill into them. They will scheme and get them in space as much as possible.

So much for the Perine experiment...but isn't Jaleel a bit undersized?
He is, teensie-tiny catch radius, so timing, placement & being left open are essential. Can't anchor in PP, so it's a cut-block. Often, even when well-executed the defender's momentum is only somewhat impeded & the RB, now on the ground. But his height to weight ratio is excellent. He's not just low, he's disproportionately low! Very shifty, possesses that twitchy suddenness & even up to speed difference-making start/stop ability. Not a guy that's going to power thru contact, how he handles that will determine a lot.

he does look good

as for size

Warrick Dunn 5'9" 180#
Jaleel 5'7" 187#

Darren Sproles 5'6' 190#

Very fantasy-relevant during his three season with Payton's Saints (2011-13). 232 receptions, 3,048 yards from scrimmage, and 21 TDs over that span.

No Drew Brees in the building, but still. Sean Payton loves him some satellite backs.

he does look good

as for size

Warrick Dunn 5'9" 180#
Jaleel 5'7" 187#

Darren Sproles 5'6' 190#

Very fantasy-relevant during his three season with Payton's Saints (2011-13). 232 receptions, 3,048 yards from scrimmage, and 21 TDs over that span.

No Drew Brees in the building, but still. Sean Payton loves him some satellite backs.
Bingo. If he becomes Payton's satellite back, there's a lot of value even if Williams isn't out.

Bid on him in a couple of deep leagues, got him in one where I lack depth at RB (only have Stevenson, Cook, Achane, McKinnon). Barring injury, he seems like a reasonably priced gamble ($12) that I can wait a few weeks to see how things play out, or maybe someone better will come along. In the other league, he went for $27, more than I wanted to bid given the low probability he will amount to much. Of course, that makes 2 long-shot Broncos I have hanging out on that roster (Mims). Who else picked him up and what are your expectations?

He looks incredible. He seems like Peytons new sproles and I expect around 10 touches a game regardless of javonte. I thought i overbid for him and someone bid 40% of their budget for him beating me out.

Bid on him in a couple of deep leagues, got him in one where I lack depth at RB (only have Stevenson, Cook, Achane, McKinnon). Barring injury, he seems like a reasonably priced gamble ($12) that I can wait a few weeks to see how things play out, or maybe someone better will come along. In the other league, he went for $27, more than I wanted to bid given the low probability he will amount to much. Of course, that makes 2 long-shot Broncos I have hanging out on that roster (Mims). Who else picked him up and what are your expectations?
I am intrigued considering the RBs in the offense are basically a wasteland but the offense is moving the ball. Payton clearly likes to throw to his RB's.

Size seems to not matter as much anymore. I think he can legit be a RB2 if the receiving floor is 2-4 receptions a game.

As a disgruntled Perine owner waiting patiently for Williams to sit out a game or two...this kid looked great while in the game. Seems like if the Broncos ever make it to the goal line that Perine would be the guy while Williams is out, but essentially McLaughlin would kill Perine's value the most when all backs are healthy no? Perine was brought in as that 3rd down back if Im not mistaken.

Seems like if the Broncos ever make it to the goal line that Perine would be the guy while Williams is out,
I mentioned above that Jaleel's first career TD was a GL vulture in the Commanders game with both Williams and Perine healthy.

Not saying you're wrong, just that Payton feels comfortable using him anywhere on the field. As he does with all three RB's.

JM also scored multiple times in the preseason inside the 10.

JM 5yd TD run Week 2

I picked him up for 26%. Maybe an over-bit; the only other offer was for 4%. He has extra value to me as a Javonte owner (and Bronco homer). I cut Perine to make room for McLaughlin.

After watching the Bears game, a couple of things became clear:
  1. If (when?) Javonte goes down, McLaughlin is the true handcuff. Perines role is set as the passing down back. Better pass blocker, better receiver. But McLaughlin is the guy Payton wants to get the ball to in open space. He is Perine's role will be the same rest of the season - a handful of carries and receptions per game, an occasional touchdown. Basically, a 6-8 PPR guy with limited upside. In other words, WW fodder.
  2. McLaughlin can produce if given the opportunity. He was electric, making guys miss. Good vision, good cuts, good open field running. The tape on Sunday matched what I saw in pre-season and matched what the kid did in college.

I'm on board! FAAB for my winning bid was 21/100 and the next closest bid was 7/100. Sigmund likes him in the article https://www.footballguys.com/article/2023-upgrades-downgrades-waiver-wire-wonders-week05. Great opportunity for a flex and more if Javonte turns out to be needing a week or 2 off. If you are win now mode then you need to bid for these speculative backs that pop earlier in the season for the biggest chance at long lasting impact, not to mention bye weeks are starting.

Also @daylight mentioned him in the the lotto thread https://forums.footballguys.com/threads/2023-rb-lotto-ticket-rankings.809667/page-4.

Was shocked to be able to acquire him last night in both my leagues with utter stink bids. Peeps were sleepin after what Achane has done in Miami and what his clone did in Denver last weekend. 😳

Would be hilarious if I start rolling out an Achane-McGlaughlin backfield in coming weeks.

Ben Cummins
Javonte Williams could miss multiple weeks with a hip injury.

Jaleel McLaughlin is a priority waiver pickup. He could run away with this backfield. He has THE NCAA ALL-TIME RECORD 8,166 rushing yards. Plus 79 rushing touchdowns. Kid can absolutely play.

First I’m hearing Javonte may miss a few weeks? Last they said he may not miss much at all?
Good point. Ben Cummins gets called out for that in a reply to that tweet as the status update on JW is still unknown:

Mum on Javonte Williams, Sean Payton praises Jaleel McLaughlin

Users who are viewing this thread