What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB D’Andre Swift, CHI (2 Viewers)

So, can we put the Penny talk to rest?

To be fair with this group of backs I think they all will get an opportunity to shine at some point in a long season but it's clear where Penny is in the pecking order.
I think it was pretty telling that they had Swift back in to finish the game.

Penny had a pretty bad hold that got a TD called back but yes Gainwell, Scott will still vulture some points that will frustrate owners
to be fair, not expecting Swift to be RB1, but if he's getting 15 touches a game when the entire band is able to play, given his explosiveness and vision, he's worth a low-end RB2, high end flex at worst

pulled him out 5 mins before kick-off because some idiot on twitter said he wasn't warming up with the 1's pre-game.....I swear....but, now we know. If Philly coaches keep a healthy Swift to rot on the bench especially at a home game, we can assume they will be gunned down in the parking lot.....so they won't want that.
Damn man should have checked this thread. @menobrown told you he was with the 1s warming up :/
I was on the golf course, walking off #4 to the 5th tee 3 mins to kick-off.....some jag off from the local ABC sports in Philly tweeted it out about 20 mins before kickoff and I panic'd.
Fair just saying get your last minute stuff here in the future.

Will be interesting to see how the touches go when Gainwell is back. What was the most impressive thing about Swift was he basically got 5+ yards every single carry it seemed even between the tackles when they fed him like 5 carries in a row. I don't recall a single game like this in Detroit in his career where he carried the rock over and over and over on a drive like that.
Was certainly fun after the pain well all felt after Swift did what he did last week not getting any chances.
We will see how this plays out

Will be interesting to see how the touches go when Gainwell is back. What was the most impressive thing about Swift was he basically got 5+ yards every single carry it seemed even between the tackles when they fed him like 5 carries in a row. I don't recall a single game like this in Detroit in his career where he carried the rock over and over and over on a drive like that.
Was certainly fun after the pain well all felt after Swift did what he did last week not getting any chances.
We will see how this plays out
I see what you did there but did you mean Painwell or Gainwell.....

So, can we put the Penny talk to rest?

To be fair with this group of backs I think they all will get an opportunity to shine at some point in a long season but it's clear where Penny is in the pecking order.

Penny looked slow and lacked elusiveness. I think injuries have caught up to him. I don't see any scenario where Penny will get carries. There will always be one of Swift, Gainwell and Scott ahead of him eating the bulk of the touches.

Maybe this is simply what a motivated Swift can do. There’s no denying his raw talent.

Gainwell can’t hold his jock, but that doesn’t necessarily mean Swift will be the bell cow. Coaches can get REALLY stubborn with the RBBC stuff.

What’s interesting is he hasn’t been incorporated into the passing game yet. Swift could be a league winner if he can become their feature back.

He just seized the RB1 role on one of the best rushing offenses in the league.
How do you know this? Gainwell was good last week and should be back soon.

I’m glad he went off, on my bench of course, I just don’t really know how to look at this going forward.

Swift owners have to be tickled pink after last night, but I can't see them giving him that kind of workload each week given his injury history. Then again, he doesn't need that kind of workload to be a high quality fantasy asset.

As for Penny, it's clear where he stands in the pecking order. Seemed like he was not even going to make the final roster out of training camp, and that time might be coming if both Gainwell and Scott are healthy.

I’m glad he went off, on my bench of course, I just don’t really know how to look at this going forward.
Gainwell got a lot of touches last week. I don't think he was that good with them. Of course it was NE which is infinitely better on defense than Minnesota.

Owning Swift last year was so frustrating after I took him in the 2nd round. I thought it was him, but I guess now it was more his situation in Detroit? He's obviously got the talent, could never understand his usage last year and for that reason I he was on my DND list.

Having said that, I picked up Gainwell prior to week 1 after he was dropped and it looked like I struck gold seeing as Swift got 2 touches. Then of course he gets hurt and Swift absolutely smashes last night. The owner in my league dropped him after week 1....I only have $35 of my FAAB left after getting Puka and Allgeier. Should I go all in and try and get Swift? I know he won't be getting 30 touches again when Gainwell returns, but at least this way I'll have both backs to sit back and evaluate? Anyone think Swift can keep this up? I feel like if I go all in and get him, he'll get hurt in 2 games.

I’ve been saying it all off season, Gainwell is just a guy. He looked mediocre last week, Swift looked dynamic last night. I’ve been talking Swift up based on his receiving skills more than anything else but he looked CLEARLY like the best runner on this team last night. When the receptions start to come (and this offense figures out what the hell they are doing) he’s going to be a monster.

I don't have own any shares of the Philly backfield, but I felt it was more of the O-line dominating more than anything. Even Scott was gashing MN for chunk yardage. I'd like to see Swift in a game where yardage isn't easy to come by. Will he lower his shoulder and take the three yards or bounce to the outside? Will he be able to pass protect? Etc.

I don't have own any shares of the Philly backfield, but I felt it was more of the O-line dominating more than anything. Even Scott was gashing MN for chunk yardage. I'd like to see Swift in a game where yardage isn't easy to come by. Will he lower his shoulder and take the three yards or bounce to the outside? Will he be able to pass protect? Etc.
I didn't watch the second half, but this is what I saw of Swift in the first. If anything, I thought Swift tended to go down too easily. Perhaps the second half he looked more dynamic.

I didn't watch the second half, but this is what I saw of Swift in the first. If anything, I thought Swift tended to go down too easily. Perhaps the second half he looked more dynamic.

he can go down easy after his 5 plus yards. thats good enough for me

Swift will break if they run him like regularly … we know Penny will break plus he didnt look good and injuries may have caught up

They might end up with Hunt or Fournette by the end of the season lol 😂

Owning Swift last year was so frustrating after I took him in the 2nd round. I thought it was him, but I guess now it was more his situation in Detroit? He's obviously got the talent, could never understand his usage last year and for that reason I he was on my DND list.

Having said that, I picked up Gainwell prior to week 1 after he was dropped and it looked like I struck gold seeing as Swift got 2 touches. Then of course he gets hurt and Swift absolutely smashes last night. The owner in my league dropped him after week 1....I only have $35 of my FAAB left after getting Puka and Allgeier. Should I go all in and try and get Swift? I know he won't be getting 30 touches again when Gainwell returns, but at least this way I'll have both backs to sit back and evaluate? Anyone think Swift can keep this up? I feel like if I go all in and get him, he'll get hurt in 2 games.
Go all in.

All credit to the o-line for consistently opening big running lanes. They were dominant AF. They won't control the LoS like that every week but it is a top 5 unit across the board and they'll win more times than they lose.

But players still get hit when they have good running lanes. First contact was usually multiple players and Swift lowered his shoulders and fell forward pretty much every play. Except the blatant missed tripping call my a Minny d-lineman. I was shocked that one wasn't called.

He looked great, obviously. Always liked him, think he’s been underused and got a bit of a bad rap with being called some version of soft.

That said, last night wasn’t just big holes. They were gaping lanes. And not only that but the contact at the end of runs was as gentle as I can recall. The whole game seemed at 75% physicality across the board and think it’s a product of being a Thursday early in the season.

As for his prospects moving forward, it’s his job…for now. Extremely likely won’t have that kind of run/pass ratio again this season and even if they do, he’s not the kind of back to stand up to that workload when it gets back to full physicality. That’s not a knock; very few backs can handle that amount of action for an extended period of time without getting nicked up or worn down.

So if you have him, awesome, he was likely fairly cheap to acquire, but I wouldn’t go nuts trying to acquire him. I’ve been saying we’re going to see a rotation based on who’s healthy and who’s not at various points this year. Gainwell had his moment. Swift will likely have a runway here as the lead dog for however long he can stand up to it. And I still fully expect Penny to have his day in the sun at some point, too.

If you have all three I think you’re golden. If you have only Swift, I would *aggressively* try to acquire the other two. If you have none, I’d be looking to buy Gainwell and Penny. If you have only Penny or Gainwell, I’d just sit tight and be patient unless the Swift owner wants to give you something of real value.

Last night’s defense was as paper mache as I can recall. Felt like they could have just run the goal line Hurts play literally every play and they never would have been stopped. Again, no knock on Swift. He was awesome.

Scott picked up the chuck of his yardage at the end of the 1st half when he was put in the game and Minnesota was playing prevent D to stop the passing downfield to prevent a score before half. They were not playing the run.

The O-line was playing well but Swift was making cuts after those holes closed and looked pretty shifty out there. I thought he looked very good and was getting additional yards after contact and those holes closed

All gainwell proved is that he's a third down back last week. Dude got hurt the very first time he tried to be the main back. He also looked very mediocre.

The coach gave this guy 3 touches last week? For a 3rd down back?

Lmfao
I think one of the biggest mistakes coaches make is that they get overly enamored with players who do what they are told, are where they are supposed to be, know the system,etc,etc, etc.

Obviously these are good things but sometimes to much emphasis is put on it, especially when someone is new to the job and does not want a player making them look bad.

Just my personal opinion but I think that's why Gainwell was the primary RB last week and probably would have continued that way for awhile until he just got Wally Pipped.

As for Penny, it's clear where he stands in the pecking order. Seemed like he was not even going to make the final roster out of training camp, and that time might be coming if both Gainwell and Scott are healthy.
I don't understand? All the RB's were healthy exiting camp.

I don't understand? All the RB's were healthy exiting camp.
Gainwell now and Scott being evaluated for a concussion last night (although doesn't seem to be an issue).

Wow, I was so wrong. Swift looked phenomenal last night. While I wouldn't expect 20+ carries, but he should be the lead back. Gainwell has always been better suited for a COP guy.

I'm happy owning Swift and Gainwell going forward. Might suck to have to choose who to start each week, but I'll just ask Chaka. :hifive:

So, we are all in on Swift? Check.

I can't wait to continue to follow this carousel throughout the year. If you can get a decent trade for Swift - I would sell high, because once Gainwell is back... it'll all get more murky.

Yeah what a great night. It wasn't just the volume, which obviously was nice. He was gashing and looked really good. And most of it was all up the gut. Very few outside run plays called IIRC.
Yeah this surprised me. Never expected that. I'd have thought, without Gainwell, he's going to grab 5-8 carries -- half of them will be +/- 1 yard, and half he'll bounce outside for 17 yards -- but he'll also grab 5 receptions for 50. But no, not only does he get 28 carries, he also looks like a bruiser (no, no, not the usual bruiser he is -- the kind that bruises the other guy). I saw one carry that went for about 0 toward the end of the game, but I can't specifically recall any others for less than 3.

Have Swift in a distance scoring/yardage league so drafted him for his ability to bomb one in from 30+. Loved the points last night, but I personally don't want to see him have another almost 30 carry night. I'd be fine with Gainwell or whoever moving the pile and scratching out tough yards and let Swift get chunk plays. Swift still needs more than a handful a carries though. Not sold on the Philly OC at all after 2 games.

But also, how many games are the Eagles going to have 48 rushing attempts? Likely never (ever?).

Last year:

vs. Jacksonville they had 50 rush attempts.
vs. Green Bay they had 49 rush attempts.
vs. NYG (playoffs) they had 44 rush attempts.
vs. SF (playoffs) they had 44 rush attempts.

They are usually around 33-35 attempts.
I stand corrected! Getting tired of standing corrected all the time. Going to have a seat.

Users who are viewing this thread