What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ranking Led Zeppelin Songs - Request To Participate (1 Viewer)

This is why I'm waiting until right before the deadline.
Right, Friday was a perfect night to sip some bourbon and listen to the Zep catalog. I jotted down some instant reactions, those notes increasingly sloppy as the night progressed. But that was just the first round through. I want to do at least 2 more spins through before thinking about submitting **OFFICIAL** rankings.

Oh.  I'm in!  😀

It'll take me a bit, but I'll get it in by New Years (holidays, moving my dad into assisted living, starting a new job on January 4th ... and in my league's playoffs, btw :p)

But here's a teaser:  Communication Breakdown will be in my top five, probably my favorite.

PS - My wife may curse all of you.  She's more of a Fleetwood Mac fan.  (Not that there is anything wrong with Fleetwood Mac!)

wildwombat said:
Oh.  I'm in!  😀

It'll take me a bit, but I'll get it in by New Years (holidays, moving my dad into assisted living, starting a new job on January 4th ... and in my league's playoffs, btw :p)

But here's a teaser:  Communication Breakdown will be in my top five, probably my favorite.

PS - My wife may curse all of you.  She's more of a Fleetwood Mac fan.  (Not that there is anything wrong with Fleetwood Mac!)
The Blues version or the Pop version?

List sent.  I can't take it any longer.

Final tally:
Physical Graffiti:  5
I:  4
II:  3
IV:  3
Houses of the Holy:  3
III: 2
In Through The Out Door:  2
Presence:  2
B sides:  1

Coda: :lmao:

I too enjoy these videos, but don't believe for a second it's the first time they're hearing the song.

You're a better person than me, I absolutely loathe those videos.  In fact, I think these reaction videos are about as believable as North Korean propaganda. . . of course I'm exaggerating. . .North Korean propaganda is way more credible.

I may have to include some tracks from Coda on my list. You guys are giving that album a self-esteem complex.
Yeah I mentioned I had one song from Coda earlier but realized after it was actually from Presence (another Zeppelin record that doesn't get a ton of respect).

Last edited by a moderator:
I too enjoy these videos, but don't believe for a second it's the first time they're hearing the song.
Jamel's pretty open about already knowing the song before he plays it. He might say he hasn't heard it in a while, that he's never seen the video, or that he wants to see a live performance.

Some of the others, though....... it's pretty obvious they are performing, whether they've heard the song before or not.

Revised List sent:

I - 4

II - 4

III - 4

IV - 3

Houses of the Holy - 3

Presence - 2

Physical Graffiti - 5

Final Answer

I may have to include some tracks from Coda on my list. You guys are giving that album a self-esteem complex.
I didn't think I gave it a fair shot on spin #1 as I was on several bourbons deep when i finally got to it, so I decided to start there tonight on this bottle of red. And it's still just as terrible as I remember it.

No Coda.

So, being in my mid 40s, Zeppelin isn't something I would have otherwise grown up with but my older sister had some of their albums and so I heard it when I was much younger (like age 6-8 until she moved out). Liked it.

I started listening again in HS and my friend and I would listen to them in the car on cassettes all the time. Back then, though, we didn't have the lyrics to the songs. And we would spend so much time trying to figure out wtf Plant was saying/screaming.

In particular, in Since I've Been Loving You, we would rewind it over and over to try and figure it out.

As a result, for years, I could never understand why he wanted to know "Don't you hear it? Don't you hear the phone? Don't you hear it? Don't you hear the Phooooone?"

The only Coda song that should even be sniffing the top 60 is Wearing and Tearing.  But top 25?  No f'ing way.

Coda is a drink coaster. That album stinks. 
People are aware that Coda isn't really a traditional LZ album per say, right? It was a bunch of leftover tracks that weren't good enough to make other albums, and the record label thought it would be a good idea to throw them together and make a few bucks after John Bonham died. They did a little better job with the extended deluxe edition released in 2008, but it's still not an album the band sat down and wrote and recorded new songs for. It's basically a bunch of castaways from the Island of Misfit Toys. They would have been better suited for adding them to a career retrospective or a box set than an actual album release.

People are aware that Coda isn't really a traditional LZ album per say, right? It was a bunch of leftover tracks that weren't good enough to make other albums, and the record label thought it would be a good idea to throw them together and make a few bucks after John Bonham died. They did a little better job with the extended deluxe edition released in 2008, but it's still not an album the band sat down and wrote and recorded new songs for. It's basically a bunch of castaways from the Island of Misfit Toys. They would have been better suited for adding them to a career retrospective or a box set than an actual album release.
Very aware......they sounded like leftovers. That is why nothing off that album would even make my top 50.

In other music news, Springsteen sold the rights to his songs for $500 million. My question is, at this late date, how on earth does Sony plan to make money off of these catalog purchase deals? Sure, I guess companies will pay to use them in some commercials, but I can’t imagine back catalog sales are that huge. $500 mil is a big chunk of change. 

In other music news, Springsteen sold the rights to his songs for $500 million. My question is, at this late date, how on earth does Sony plan to make money off of these catalog purchase deals? Sure, I guess companies will pay to use them in some commercials, but I can’t imagine back catalog sales are that huge. $500 mil is a big chunk of change. 
There's also the streaming rights from Apple Music, Amazon, Spotify etc. that Sony will benefit from. Although admittedly I'm not sure what they can make from that.

I don't understand it when artists who already have more money than God do this. 

Yes, but fair or not my expectations are more in line with what Pearl Jam for example released with Lost Dogs. Nothing cohesive to it whatsoever, but with a few gems mixed in. Coda was just bad music. Although while I didn't realize it until later last night I actually do have one under consideration - it is on the deluxe version though.

There is a "Pop" version of Communication Breakdown?  Please post a link!

I am talking about the version on their first album.  If that's pop music then I will have to rethink a great deal of my musical prejudices!
Sorry, meant which version of Fleetwood Mac. They were a blues band before they were a pop band. 

Anarchy99 said:
People are aware that Coda isn't really a traditional LZ album per say, right? It was a bunch of leftover tracks that weren't good enough to make other albums

I imagine most of us are aware of this.  I probably don't think I've ever listened to the whole thing all the way through.  It wasn't until I did my rankings that I realized how bad it is collectively.

I imagine most of us are aware of this.  I probably don't think I've ever listened to the whole thing all the way through.  It wasn't until I did my rankings that I realized how bad it is collectively.
Certainly, there are plenty of old timers that submitted lists . . . wasn't sure how many young whippersnappers there might be lurking that weren't even born when Coda came out. 

Not on mine, but was probably in the last 10 to get cut.  It's a great song.  
I don't have any from In Through the Out Door and none were under consideration.  Not a fan

Edit to say that In The Evening is decent but don't like anything else on the album

ConstruxBoy said:
Sorry, meant which version of Fleetwood Mac. They were a blues band before they were a pop band. 
Ah.  Pop meaning post Peter Green then.

The "White Album" (aka Fleetwood Mac 1975) and Rumours would definitely be my wife's favorites.  So, pop.  Back in the day I guess she would have been a Top-40 fan and now she is "just" retro, lol.  Whereas I would have been quickly changing the station if Prince came on (hoping for AC/DC perhaps?) she would have sung along to Purple Rain.

Now, I do admit that Prince was an immensely talented artist.  I was amazed when we watched some of the tributes to him which featured him on guitar, ... just not my thing.

.Anyway, back to driving her crazy as I work on my top 25 Led Zeppelin songs!

Users who are viewing this thread