What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ranking Led Zeppelin Songs - Request To Participate (1 Viewer)

This will end up being a fascinating project if we can get a lot of participants. One song was left off the first few lists all together and then a couple people ranked it 25th. I thought that spelled doom for that song. Nope. Then 3 lists came in and that song was in their Top 5. The song jumped from not in the Top 50 to now in the Top 15. You crazy kids with your rock and roll music.

Early balloting has involved 50 different songs and only 4 songs have made it on each list. This thing is going to be WIDE OPEN. Total shotgun blast for results so far (which I pretty much expected).

I did the same 1-25 system for Krista's Beatles thread.  35 people listed 143 different songs. 

I have one song that is probably high on a lot of people’s lists that is not on mine at all. And in fact may be in my bottom 25. I’ve just never liked it. I’m sure people will throw e-poop at me when it’s revealed.

I have one song that is probably high on a lot of people’s lists that is not on mine at all. And in fact may be in my bottom 25. I’ve just never liked it. I’m sure people will throw e-poop at me when it’s revealed.
By the end of this, there will be a lot of people covered in who knows what like we are all a bunch of orangutans. There are already several people with songs in their Top 5 that other people left off entirely. 

Depends how many folks want to participate, but I was planning on giving people a month to make their lists.
That's about how long it would take me.  I would love to see the results of this little exercise.  And I would love to make my own list but golly....  so many songs that I love.  It'll be hard to split hairs and order them 1-25.  

That's about how long it would take me.  I would love to see the results of this little exercise.  And I would love to make my own list but golly....  so many songs that I love.  It'll be hard to split hairs and order them 1-25.  
If people keep sending in lists and / or ask for a reasonable amount of additional time I will push things out a little further.

Im confident in my 25, it wasn't too hard for me. I had about 3 other songs that I could have slotted in there but didn't find it too difficult overall to rank them.

We have now passed 60 total songs. And so far, there are 25 songs that at least one person had in their Top 5 that at least one person left out entirely.

:boxing:   :rant:   :shock:   :stirspot:   :headbang:   :pokey:   :banned:   :devil:
Don’t get this sort of nonsense with U2 fans.

It’s a well known fact that U2 fans are smarter, more attractive, younger and better lovers than their Led Zeppelin counterparts. 

Don’t get this sort of nonsense with U2 fans.

It’s a well known fact that U2 fans are smarter, more attractive, younger and better lovers than their Led Zeppelin counterparts. 
Yeah, I would have to pass on any woman that's been to a Led Zeppelin concert that featured the original 4 guys. Their last gig was 41 years ago. There may be some sexy seniors out there, but I'll let someone else chase the GILFs.

Yeah, I would have to pass on any woman that's been to a Led Zeppelin concert that featured the original 4 guys. Their last gig was 41 years ago. There may be some sexy seniors out there, but I'll let someone else chase the GILFs.
Given rumors i have heard about at least 2 members of Zep, they might only be 53-55. 

timschochet said:
Kashmir has to be one of the two songs. It was nearly as overplayed over the years as Stairway, but somehow nobody ever gets sick of it. (I never do.) 

The other one is a mystery. I will guess “Whole Lotta Love” but I’m not sure. 

Stairway >>>>>>> Kashmir

I'm sure it's because I'm old or not paying attention to these things, so I'm sorry if this is Honda but since my Amazon Music was borked the other day, I was on the youtubez and, again, pardon my ignorance but I did not realize that Led Zeppelin had their own channel.  It's actually extremely cool.  The Ocean live at Madison Square Arena for example.  A brief little history of the Led Zeppelin IV album.  and another thing they've done which is pretty neat (to me) in that they've made little music videos out of old still photos they've edited together.  I really like these a lot. Black Dog music video for example.

Anarchy99 said:
Depends how many folks want to participate, but I was planning on giving people a month to make their lists.
Awesome - I want in then. Not sure I'll etch out any time to give this much thought before the 20th, but my free time SHOULD suddenly change that day.

gianmarco said:
I think it might be either "Babe I'm Going To Leave You" or "In My Time of Dying", leaning the latter. Won't ever be considered greatest songs but just so good that hard to imagine not making the cut.
I like that my exposure to Zep has been almost exclusively controlled by me. Our classic rock station growing up played more hair metal than anything, so I didn't listen to it too often. Thinking back I wonder if I could have named any songs beyond Whole Lottla Love, Rock N Roll, and Black Dog as Zep songs. I'm sure others entered my headspace, but not frequently enough for them to stick. Hell, I'm fairly sure the first time I heard Stairway was while high as a kite winter 2000 aged 17 at a friend of a friend of a friend's house when we were all too preoccupied finding someone to administer a jibber of some variety to really absorb the music. So I appreciate the over played knee jerks from my elders, but I can't relate to any of it. My Zep catalog is almost exclusively driven by what I've sought on my own.

And I can't sit here and say how high those 2 songs will be when I put pen to paper, but I'd be shocked if those 2 are not in my top 5 and that Kashmir + Whole Lotta Love make my top 25 at all. It isn't a hip/contrarian thing either. Neither of those latter 2 songs ever grabbed my attention in any sorta way for completely different reasons whereas I find myself seeking those former 2 out with some level of frequency. And it isn't any more complicated than that.

This should be fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anarchy99 said:
:shrug:

I tend to think the opposite. If it were any other band, they probably wouldn't have 25 songs better than Stairway. But it's LZ, and they don't have many clunkers. Like others have already mentioned, there are probably 50-60+ songs that many people could rank in the Top 25. Most bands don't have a catalogue that good.

Speaking just for me, I have an expansive LZ collection to work with. I can tell straight out I like a lot of songs more than Stairway. To me, it will end up on the fringe. As a live song, I think it was usually just ok. There are some solid live performances, but even the band itself grew exhausted of playing it (and as the years went on, they got sick of it). I think they played it to please the masses but put forth more effort on other songs. The price of fame, I guess.
I get that their catalog is deep and I get everyone has different musical taste (I'm sure my No. 2 song isn't on many lists), it's just hard to believe Stairway isn't in the Top 25 Zepplin song - and I did not have it No. 1.

As far as live performances, I'm not sure why that matters because we are ranking the "songs" in their catalogue not the live performances of those songs.

I get that their catalog is deep and I get everyone has different musical taste (I'm sure my No. 2 song isn't on many lists), it's just hard to believe Stairway isn't in the Top 25 Zepplin song - and I did not have it No. 1.

As far as live performances, I'm not sure why that matters because we are ranking the "songs" in their catalogue not the live performances of those songs.
People can rank the songs based on whatever criteria they want. Someone could rank them alphabetically, I suppose. I have reached the point for me that I have heard the regular studio versions of songs so much that I got burnt out on them. I was around for the Stairway saturation, played to death timeframe. Sure, it's a great song, but it's almost nails on the chalkboard for me at this point. If I were to rank the LZ songs TODAY that I would choose to listen to, Stairway is not high on my list. It falls in the been there, done that category.

Like some other bands, they have some blistering live versions where they either amp up the songs, improvise extensively, or take a short song and make it into a 10-, 20-, 30-minute musical extravaganza. Who knows if that makes those versions "better" . . . but they certainly are more interesting (to me at least) given that they are not the same exact thing for 40 years and 1,000 listens. If someone likes a live version of a song 10x times more than the traditional studio version, that's up to them and they can rate it however they want.

I'm obviously in.  :excited:

If you can't figure out why I don't know what to tell you.  :lol:

Great idea. Thanks for doing this.  :thumbup:

timschochet said:
Kashmir has to be one of the two songs. It was nearly as overplayed over the years as Stairway, but somehow nobody ever gets sick of it. (I never do.) 

The other one is a mystery. I will guess “Whole Lotta Love” but I’m not sure. 
I'm not voting, yet, but Kashmir would not be anywhere close to my top 25.  It bores me immensely.

My guess for the most chosen song would be Ramble On.

I'm not voting, yet, but Kashmir would not be anywhere close to my top 25.  It bores me immensely.

My guess for the most chosen song would be Ramble On.
Whole Lotta Love did not crack my Top 25 (played out to death) and yeah there are other played out to death songs on my Top 25 but Whole Lotta Love was easy to bump out for the deep nuggets that are some of my all time favorite tunes from them. 

Ramble On and Kashmir are absolutely Top 15 easy.

Just to throw this out there:

Songs were only overplayed because the listener kept listening. 
Yes which is why I am glad for Spotify/podcasts so I don't have to reach to flip the dial as soon as Aerosmith comes on, they are everywhere on the "classic" rock stations. There needs to be a survivor island of olden timey acts so we can catapult a few off the airwaves forever.

Yes which is why I am glad for Spotify/podcasts so I don't have to reach to flip the dial as soon as Aerosmith comes on, they are everywhere on the "classic" rock stations. There needs to be a survivor island of olden timey acts so we can catapult a few off the airwaves forever.
It was true even back in the 1970s. Tired of a song? Change the freaking channel.

It was true even back in the 1970s. Tired of a song? Change the freaking channel.
I played cassettes and eventually CD’s and to this day I still prefer listening to my CD’s in my car....far better sonic experience than digital MP3’s.....far better. 

Making mixed tapes and CD’s is great. 

Even XM is getting.....tired.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread