What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ranking Led Zeppelin Songs - Request To Participate (1 Viewer)

@Anarchy99 Should we post our list in here? Or simply wait for your final results then post our list.
Don’t post any lists until we are done. Would rather people take folks to the woodshed on a song by song basis. People posting lists will start discussion before we even get to the rankings. That kind of defeats the purpose of having a poll and counting down the rankings. 

So far I've been through the master list once and narrowed it down to 42. Now to cut 17 from that list is going to be tough. Stairway to Heaven is one of the 42 but I agree with @Anarchy99and I'm not sure if it's in my top 25 or not. It will probably be close. 

Current status:

10 absolute masterpieces

9 songs that are clearly in a league of their own compared to everything else

6 songs that are so damn good it would be hard to leave them out of the top 25

30 songs that are making a strong play to swap places with those previous 6.

32 good songs but not in consideration

7 songs that should never be listened to again by anyone

1 song that isn't even really a song

12 songs that shouldn't be eligible because  they're just earlier versions of other songs on the list:
Blot
Brandy & Coke
Desire
Driving Through Kashmir
Everybody Makes It Through
Four Hands
If It Keeps On Raining
Southbound Piano
The Epic
The Hook
Two Ones Are Won

1 song that I don't know what to do with, since it's two songs, one if which is already on the list:
White Summer/Black Mountain Side

Last edited by a moderator:
Current status:

12 absolute masterpieces

7 songs that are clearly in a league of their own compared to everything else

10 songs that are making a strong play to swap places with those previous 6.
This is where I am.

I could change the order of so many of these depending on the day and my mood. 

Current status:

10 absolute masterpieces

9 songs that are clearly in a league of their own compared to everything else

30 songs that are making a strong play to swap places with those previous 6.

32 good songs but not in consideration

7 songs that should never be listened to again by anyone

1 song that isn't even really a song

12 songs that shouldn't be eligible because  they're just earlier versions of other songs on the list:
Blot
Brandy & Coke
Desire
Driving Through Kashmir
Everybody Makes It Through
Four Hands
If It Keeps On Raining
Southbound Piano
The Epic
The Hook
Two Ones Are Won

1 song that I don't know what to do with, since it's two songs, one if which is already on the list:
White Summer/Black Mountain Side
You can count WS/BMS as one song. And since I didn’t specify, you can do the same thing for Heartbreaker/LLM. Call it a 2 for 1 special. 

Finally got my list in. It was actually a little easier than I thought in that I could tell pretty quickly if a song was making the cut list. Ended up with about 35 on the first run through. Looked at the bottom 10, really wanted to include one song and be at 26, but ultimately felt fine with where the line was. Still easily another 20 songs that I wouldn't argue TOO much about being in someone's top 25 because they are still all good other than that means it's bumping some really, really good songs.

In the end, I wouldn't be surprised if I had 2-3 songs that may not make any other lists but I would be surprised if I didn't end up with 15+ consensus songs on my list. I think the part that'll be fun to see is how different the rankings end up being, but the songs should mostly be there. I know the very top of my list will likely differ from most, but hopefully not THAT much.

Then again, while I don't ever really do these music drafts or lists, I've been here long enough to know some of you are ####### nuts. Reading that Stairway isn't making a top 25 list for more than one kind of confirms that, so who knows. 

Also, it'll be interesting to see which albums rank the highest based on the final rankings.

And I'm sure I'll get some heat for this, but as much as I love LZ, I'm just not a fan of Coda.

Finally got my list in. It was actually a little easier than I thought in that I could tell pretty quickly if a song was making the cut list. Ended up with about 35 on the first run through. Looked at the bottom 10, really wanted to include one song and be at 26, but ultimately felt fine with where the line was. Still easily another 20 songs that I wouldn't argue TOO much about being in someone's top 25 because they are still all good other than that means it's bumping some really, really good songs.

In the end, I wouldn't be surprised if I had 2-3 songs that may not make any other lists but I would be surprised if I didn't end up with 15+ consensus songs on my list. I think the part that'll be fun to see is how different the rankings end up being, but the songs should mostly be there. I know the very top of my list will likely differ from most, but hopefully not THAT much.

Then again, while I don't ever really do these music drafts or lists, I've been here long enough to know some of you are ####### nuts. Reading that Stairway isn't making a top 25 list for more than one kind of confirms that, so who knows. 
I’ve done or followed several of the drafts and my recollection is the issues with Stairway are: 1. Overplayed  2. Too long. 3. It’s great - they just have better songs.

I can buy in to any of those three arguments on a given day but it’s still ####### awesome and better than anything many other popular bands put out.

Also, it'll be interesting to see which albums rank the highest based on the final rankings.

And I'm sure I'll get some heat for this, but as much as I love LZ, I'm just not a fan of Coda.
As much as any other band, Zep epitomized the “album as art form” concept. And Coda was not that, it was a collection of outtakes. So of course it’s not going to have the same impact as the records released when Bonzo was alive.

I picked at least two songs from every album released in Bonzo's lifetime. Generally not on purpose, but the tiebreaker for #25 came down to "I only have one song from [redacted], and at least two from everything else, so let's give [redacted] a second song." 

WXPN, a well-known independent radio station in Philly, asked listeners to vote for the best albums of all time, and just finished revealing the list of 2,021 albums. About 4,000 people participated, including Uruk-Hai and myself. Here's where the Zep albums placed.

30. IV

46. Physical

87. I

97. II

129. Houses

157. III

976. Presence

1716. In Through

I used one of my 10 votes on Physical. 

WXPN, a well-known independent radio station in Philly, asked listeners to vote for the best albums of all time, and just finished revealing the list of 2,021 albums. About 4,000 people participated, including Uruk-Hai and myself. Here's where the Zep albums placed.

30. IV

46. Physical

87. I

97. II

129. Houses

157. III

976. Presence

1716. In Through

I used one of my 10 votes on Physical. 
Physical Graffiti is a Top 10 album for me as well.

I’ve done or followed several of the drafts and my recollection is the issues with Stairway are: 1. Overplayed  2. Too long. 3. It’s great - they just have better songs.

I can buy in to any of those three arguments on a given day but it’s still ####### awesome and better than anything many other popular bands put out.
This is a me problem, but song length criticisms will never resonate. Song length obviously doesn't make a great piece of music, but time is necessary to develop the greatest pieces of work. The successes are journeys (Zep has some) whereas the less successful seem to be repetitve (Zep has some of these too), which is where I think you're more likely to lose the listener. There is nothing repetitve about Stairway. It's just those that over consumed it know the story and have lost interest in it. 

This is a me problem, but song length criticisms will never resonate. Song length obviously doesn't make a great piece of music, but time is necessary to develop the greatest pieces of work. The successes are journeys (Zep has some) whereas the less successful seem to be repetitve (Zep has some of these too), which is where I think you're more likely to lose the listener. There is nothing repetitve about Stairway. It's just those that over consumed it know the story and have lost interest in it. 
Yep - I’ve already begun thinking about my write up and how I rank music.  I’m personally much less inclined to ding a song over length than I am for being too repetitive - Stairway is not repetitive for me but is borderline with run time - I readily admit to having an attention span problem.  

So, after getting into the list, I was driving my 9 yo around today a good bit and decided it was time to introduce her to Zeppelin.  Mind you, she mostly listens to current pop music.

Got through I, then most of II, and got started on IV.

After Rock n Roll, she goes "You know Dad, I think you're right.  They only have good songs"

:wub:

Witz said:
In!

This will coincide nicely with the new biography that recently came out. 
I wonder how sanitized it will be. What rock musicians got up to in the 70s was truly horrifying,  by any standards, let alone todays. Led Zeppelin certainly didnt do things by half measures. 

Pretty difficult, but I got it done and PM has been sent. I left off a few biggies that got overplayed and I am tired of hearing, but a couple of them I were never that crazy about in the first place. 

I went 5 deep into Led Zeppelin 4 for my top 25.  Despite it being the ultimate 8th grade slow dance song, Stairway was never really a consideration,  maybe top 30.

So, after getting into the list, I was driving my 9 yo around today a good bit and decided it was time to introduce her to Zeppelin.  Mind you, she mostly listens to current pop music.

Got through I, then most of II, and got started on IV.

After Rock n Roll, she goes "You know Dad, I think you're right.  They only have good songs"

:wub:
My kids are in their 20s and when I play anything rock related they all complain about my “old people” music. The stuff they listen to with their hipping and hopping doesn’t even really have instruments these days. Blasphemers. 

My kids are in their 20s and when I play anything rock related they all complain about my “old people” music. The stuff they listen to with their hipping and hopping doesn’t even really have instruments these days. Blasphemers. 
Yep.

She just went upstairs after finishing IV while in the car with me this morning.

"Alexa, play Led  Zeppelin"

My work is complete.

# Songs off each album:

I - 4

II - 4

III - 1

IV - 5

Houses of the Holy - 4

Physical Graffiti - 4

Presence - 2

In Through the Out Door - 1

I chose nothing off of Coda

# Songs off each album:

I - 4

II - 4

III - 1

IV - 5

Houses of the Holy - 4

Physical Graffiti - 4

Presence - 2

I chose nothing off of Coda
My breakdown was: 

I - 3

II - 5 (technically 6 since we were allowed to combine two particular songs)

III - 4

IV - 3 (neither Black Dog nor Rock and Roll made mine)

Houses of the Holy - 5 (3 of which were in my top 4)

Physical Graffiti - 2

Presence - 0

In Through the Out Door - 2

Coda - 1 (b-side from 1970)

My breakdown was: 

I - 3

II - 5 (technically 6 since we were allowed to combine two particular songs)

III - 4

IV - 3 (neither Black Dog nor Rock and Roll made mine)

Houses of the Holy - 5 (3 of which were in my top 4)

Physical Graffiti - 2

Presence - 0

In Through the Out Door - 2

Coda - 1 (b-side from 1970)
We're allowed to combine those 2 songs? 

Ive never been good at ranking things but this one, given enough time, I might try. Only song off the top of my head I know won't make the list is Hot Dog. Had both CD boxsets in college and when I eventually got the second one I remember hearing that song and thinking WTF get this out of here, it's tainting a great collection.

Physical Grafitti - 5

I - 5

Houses of the Holy - 5

IV - 3

II - 2

III - 2

Presence - 1

CODA - 1

My Breakdown:

I - 3

II - 4

III - 3

IV - 6

Houses of The Holy - 3

Presence - 2

Physical Grafitti - 4

Left off In Through The Out Door and Coda

Was really tough.....there are songs that really deserve being in there that are not...but we only can pick 25.

Fifteen lists in so far . . . and another 21 IOU's promised. Hopefully all those folks turn in lists, and maybe we can recruit a few more people.

How much trouble for us to submit a new list? Been listening more since I submitted mine and want to make a few changes...

:unsure:

How much trouble for us to submit a new list? Been listening more since I submitted mine and want to make a few changes...

:unsure:
Each change is $10 each.

I don't really care if people make changes, but preferably not 18 times. I have everything in a spreadsheet, so if you PM the new list I will just change your column of rankings.

Each change is $10 each.

I don't really care if people make changes, but preferably not 18 times. I have everything in a spreadsheet, so if you PM the new list I will just change your column of rankings.
Thanks. Will just change once and send you a new one. 

Each change is $10 each.

Good to know.....going to have a revised list as I also have been revisiting the band lately and have some changes. 

It will be a one time revision. 

As I quickly skim-listened through albums LZI through ITTOD, I started to jot down my favorite songs and when I checked my list there were exactly 25 songs on it. I badly wanted to include an extra song that wasn't on any of their albums, but I decided to go with the first 25. The hardest part was ranking from approximately #6 to #15. 

Users who are viewing this thread