What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (6 Viewers)

Coming off my distance PR I got some bad news, think I tore my meniscus again in my bad knee (this would be 3rd time). Just turned around, felt that familiar twinge and my knee just about gave out. Now I can just be walking and it buckles, hate this ####. I wasn't going to be challenging Steve for the tape but the marathon I had on the books for next Saturday is a pipe dream. Trying to get registration switched to next year.

Scheduled an appointment with an ortho, probably have to get an MRI and if it's what I think surgery then 6 weeks of light duty before it I can start back into it.
sucks. You related to Derrick Rose?

Coming off my distance PR I got some bad news, think I tore my meniscus again in my bad knee (this would be 3rd time). Just turned around, felt that familiar twinge and my knee just about gave out. Now I can just be walking and it buckles, hate this ####. I wasn't going to be challenging Steve for the tape but the marathon I had on the books for next Saturday is a pipe dream. Trying to get registration switched to next year.

Scheduled an appointment with an ortho, probably have to get an MRI and if it's what I think surgery then 6 weeks of light duty before it I can start back into it.
sucks. You related to Derrick Rose?
Not unless he has fat, slow, white blood in his line someplace.

Another stupid snow day because of our stupid county.

Seriously...maybe a half inch of snow here.

But that dusting over a little ice still left in places out in the backwoods shuts down school for the county.

The snow was gone by 10:30...not like just a little left...but gone and the roads are completely dry.

So, another stupid treadmill run. Which sucked worse because my receiver in our room with the treadmill was not picking up my directv signal.

Staring at a wall listening to ESPN radio...holy suck.

But the run went well.

Knees feeling good...HR starting to creep back down where I was last year before the ankle injury (which is still a little bit off of where I was before the hernia 2 years ago...and odd that its been 2 years).

One more run Saturday before my 40th birthday...not a bad time to start feeling good again.

It's probably because I was a lazy P.O.S. that let work get the best of me in January and I haven't done as much as I usually do, but...I'm going to miss snow running.

I'm going to do one more good one Saturday. Supposed to be 20, sunny, and very little wind, so...perfect. Going to head to one of the nastier trails in the area and see if I can do an hour twenty on them. It's supposed to get above freezing Sunday and could be 3 days of rain next week, so this may be it. Getting out of February on a high note and making sure March goes better than the first two months of the year...

Haven't been feeling great this week - stressed, not feeling well, sleeping poorly, etc. Did 7 easy on Tuesday, but really felt blah yesterday so just took it off. But I forced my fat ### out the door this morning to get something in.

Nine miles and 1,656' of elevation later, I feel much better. It helped that it was an amazing day - about 60 degrees, I was dripping sweat down my back onto my legs when I stopped at the peak for a few minutes to take in the views. I was feeling pretty good at that point so I decided to do some focused downhill work to trash my quads a bit, and hammered all the way back down the 1,500' hill. It varied from really technical, rocky, steep sections to steep fire road to groomed single track, and I just kept pushing. It was a total blast, especially having to really focus while moving quickly over the really rocky sections. I came home and downed nine Master Amino Pattern tabs to let the quad rebuilding begin.

I'm glad I got that "workout" in as while I'm always out on hilly stuff I haven't done much focused, hard downhill running this year. With a 50K coming up next weekend I would have liked to have gotten this in a day or two earlier as I do believe in the "it takes 10 days to gain the full benefits of a workout" theory, but 9 days should be close enough.

Haven't been feeling great this week - stressed, not feeling well, sleeping poorly, etc. Did 7 easy on Tuesday, but really felt blah yesterday so just took it off. But I forced my fat ### out the door this morning to get something in.

Nine miles and 1,656' of elevation later, I feel much better. It helped that it was an amazing day - about 60 degrees, I was dripping sweat down my back onto my legs when I stopped at the peak for a few minutes to take in the views. I was feeling pretty good at that point so I decided to do some focused downhill work to trash my quads a bit, and hammered all the way back down the 1,500' hill. It varied from really technical, rocky, steep sections to steep fire road to groomed single track, and I just kept pushing. It was a total blast, especially having to really focus while moving quickly over the really rocky sections. I came home and downed nine Master Amino Pattern tabs to let the quad rebuilding begin.

I'm glad I got that "workout" in as while I'm always out on hilly stuff I haven't done much focused, hard downhill running this year. With a 50K coming up next weekend I would have liked to have gotten this in a day or two earlier as I do believe in the "it takes 10 days to gain the full benefits of a workout" theory, but 9 days should be close enough.
where'd you go?

One more run Saturday before my 40th birthday...not a bad time to start feeling good again.
Soon to be a masters runner!!

beer - bummer news about the knee! :kicksrock: Tell them to operate on your heart instead of the knee ...it'll be a quicker recovery.

SFDuck - you stopped at the peak to enjoy the views ..and didn't take any pics? Your fan base is not happy about this.

--

University benefits - I went to see our trainer about my ankle. She's quite certain it's a sprained ligament on the outside of the foot (just in front/along the base of the fibula (?)) ...recommended some exercises to recover/stretch/strengthen the area. I'm hoping that I can be back in action in another few or several days for a last big training push.

where'd you go?
I live in Novato now, so my go to routes are up and down Mt. Burdell. It's a good 1,500' peak on the North end of town with trails and fire roads all up and down it, so I can mix in a few different routes and distances. It doesn't hold a candle to climbing Mt. Tam out of Mill Valley or Ross, but it works.

And while these aren't from today (sorry Tri), these capture the views and trails:

Above the fog

From the peak

Looking up

Singletrack mind

where'd you go?
I live in Novato now, so my go to routes are up and down Mt. Burdell. It's a good 1,500' peak on the North end of town with trails and fire roads all up and down it, so I can mix in a few different routes and distances. It doesn't hold a candle to climbing Mt. Tam out of Mill Valley or Ross, but it works.

And while these aren't from today (sorry Tri), these capture the views and trails:

Above the fog

From the peak

Looking up

Singletrack mind
damn.

I miss that place, sooooo much.

here's a view of the first half mile of most of my runs over the last 15 years.

Wow, tough break, Beer. :sadbanana:

It's seems so serious when I read about my own heart procedure in the thread title. :o

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: Ned
I got through the 7 mile tempo run yesterday, I couldn't run it on the track since it was snow covered so I did it on some roads that bordered a local park (aprox 0.5 loop). It went okay, I was hoping I would be a little faster at this point but I got through it.

6:35 167, 6:38 170, 6:36 171, 6:35 170, 6:34 172, 6:31 171, 6:26 173.

Ned,
In the old thread you mentioned that you swapped out the Vo2 max 4X1200 and the 3X1600 workouts in the Pfitz plan with tempo runs, how long were your tempo runs?

I usually did the 9/5, but sometimes the 8/4 when I was feeling lazy.

Dude - those HR numbers are outstanding! You're in 1:25 shape, IMO.

Thanks I will go with the 9/5 then. I have yet to run a successful half so I am not so sure about the 1:25. My last half my avg HR was 172. I am hoping that once the weather gets above 30 I will speed up.

Thanks I will go with the 9/5 then. I have yet to run a successful half so I am not so sure about the 1:25. My last half my avg HR was 172. I am hoping that once the weather gets above 30 I will speed up.
Wow, that's interesting you're LT is lower but we have a similar mHR. My HM's are always around 178, but my LT training runs are usually around that 173-175 range.

This is the official running team, yes? If so, thought I'd share that I signed up for my first 5K. Decided to stop "planning" to get more active and just start doing it. Right now I'm training on the treadmill because the snow outside is still too deep to safely get around.

One question I'm wondering - I have some soreness currently in my hips, specifically the very top of my legs in front. I assume this is because I've been kicking things up a notch, so hopefully it just goes away in time. Anything specific I might need to be concerned about?

This is the official running team, yes? If so, thought I'd share that I signed up for my first 5K. Decided to stop "planning" to get more active and just start doing it. Right now I'm training on the treadmill because the snow outside is still too deep to safely get around.

One question I'm wondering - I have some soreness currently in my hips, specifically the very top of my legs in front. I assume this is because I've been kicking things up a notch, so hopefully it just goes away in time. Anything specific I might need to be concerned about?
No, but listen to your body. When things start barking don't ignore it, that's what leads to injury. Take it easy for a few to 10 days then try pushing yourself again and see how things are feeling after.

Welcome, and stay after it!

Good to see the race commitment!

Getting in some rest days is a safe approach. On an off day, you might spend some time working on hip rotation and flexibility. That could include some yoga or simple stretches. Also, you could do some leg swings and high knee lifts as well as some squats ...just a number of different movements (front to back, and some side to side) to hopefully ease the soreness.

When is your tune-up half, pbm?
Unfortunately there isn't one scheduled, I wish there was. In the past I have run them 10 weeks out from the marathon and while I was always disappointed with my results they were a good marathon predictor.

In 2012 I ran a 1:30:49 half and I figured that a 3:12 marathon was possible with 10 additional weeks of training. However who goes for a 3:12 when a 3:10 is your BQ time. I went for a 3:10 and ended up with a 3:14.

In 2013 I ran a 1:29:22 half off of base training, so I figured after following the Pfitz plan I could run a 3:08 and ended up with a 3:08:11.

There are 3 tuneup races scheduled in the Pfitz plan and I am having a tough time finding races to run. I think I will just run tempo runs for the first two, but I really would like to run a 10k on 4/4. Before my 2013 marathon I ran a 10k at the same point in the schedule and it was a huge confidence boost as I ran it in 38:18 which is my best race since getting back into running.

Oh as to why I didn't schedule half during this training cycle, I am an idiot

Unfortunately there isn't one scheduled, I wish there was. In the past I have run them 10 weeks out from the marathon and while I was always disappointed with my results they were a good marathon predictor.

In 2012 I ran a 1:30:49 half and I figured that a 3:12 marathon was possible with 10 additional weeks of training. However who goes for a 3:12 when a 3:10 is your BQ time. I went for a 3:10 and ended up with a 3:14.

In 2013 I ran a 1:29:22 half off of base training, so I figured after following the Pfitz plan I could run a 3:08 and ended up with a 3:08:11.

There are 3 tuneup races scheduled in the Pfitz plan and I am having a tough time finding races to run. I think I will just run tempo runs for the first two, but I really would like to run a 10k on 4/4. Before my 2013 marathon I ran a 10k at the same point in the schedule and it was a huge confidence boost as I ran it in 38:18 which is my best race since getting back into running.

:lol:

I run 9/5 tempos on the scheduled races on his plan too. I'm a tempo wh0re. :wub:

:lol:

I run 9/5 tempos on the scheduled races on his plan too. I'm a tempo wh0re. :wub:
I always (well, since 2010, anyways) throw in a half marathon about a month before a marathon. Marathon training with long tempos gets you is such great half marathon shape. I always feel like I can PR the half at that point. And it's nice to have something to show for all the hard work in case things don't work out as planned during the marathon.

I always (well, since 2010, anyways) throw in a half marathon about a month before a marathon. Marathon training with long tempos gets you is such great half marathon shape. I always feel like I can PR the half at that point. And it's nice to have something to show for all the hard work in case things don't work out as planned during the marathon.
You have got me thinking about it and I see there is one 3/22 in Ned's state.

:thumbup: What state are you in?

I completely agree, Juxt. And I didn't mean to say that I don't run tune-up HM's. I always do and have always set a HM PR during a tuneup. The volume you run for the full sets you up perfectly for the HM.

pbm - the Ceasar Rodney HM? That's a challenging, but fun course. If you end up running it, I can give you a scouting report. I know all the hills up there like the back of my hand. This link has the elevation chart - http://www.halfmarathons.net/course-map-caesar-rodney-half-marathon/

I live in Montgomery County PA, suburbs of Philadelphia. Yes it would be Ceasar Rodney HM.

Quick self-serving (and motivating update):

I was getting pretty tubby over the winter (horrible personal stuff that thankfully appears to be subsiding). So at the start of February I weighed 189 - ugh. Fighting weight should be sub 175 and ultimate awesomeness would be achieved at 163. So, yeah, not good. I set goals of 180 at the end of February, 175 end March, 170 April, 165 May. On February 14th (just after Mardi Gras) - 188. Ugh.

This morning - 180.2. :pickle:

Onward and downward!

I was getting pretty tubby over the winter (horrible personal stuff that thankfully appears to be subsiding). So at the start of February I weighed 189 - ugh. Fighting weight should be sub 175 and ultimate awesomeness would be achieved at 163. So, yeah, not good. I set goals of 180 at the end of February, 175 end March, 170 April, 165 May. On February 14th (just after Mardi Gras) - 188. Ugh.

Onward and downward!
Put a little more energy into patting yourself on the back and you'd probably be below 180. Wait, did I just say that? :D Good to hear you're getting some mojo back! I truly enjoy not fully understanding your bike and swim successes.

Onward and downward!
WTG tubby :hifive:

I can't weight to see what I balloon up to with this knee. Already about 10 to heavy at 195, figure if i keep it under 210 I'm doing good.

Onward and downward!
:thumbup:

Had planned a 2 hour ride this morning but my 10 year old collided with my 4 year old last night. 4 yo has a black eye, 10 yo lost half a front tooth. Took him to the dentist last night but they couldn't get him seen until 11pm (it's a Day and Night dentist, seems pretty popular around here) so we scheduled an appointment for 8 this morning instead. He'll probably get a root canal and crown. He needs braces badly anyway so maybe this will expedite things.

Frankly I don't feel motivated this morning, and the Higdon program calls for a rest day so I'll be resting instead.

February closes with 246 miles. 5 swim, 6 hike, 101 run, 134 bike (indoor trainer), total of 28 hours with a almost perfectly consistent 7 hours per week.

For the year, total 575 miles; 262 run. 301 bike. I'll be getting back in the pool more after March.

Onward and downward!
Congrats on being only 20 lbs overweight. :thumbup:

Any of you running the Phoenix marathon? My in laws and wonderful wife are the ones with the ridiculously annoying cowbells. :hot:

New to the thread. Started running about a year ago, and have been training on the treadmill in the winter. Typically do 8 miles @ 8min/mi 3 times a week. I was asked to do a half marathon with people from work, so I'm taking the plunge in early April. I took a look at the calculators in the OP, and it has me at about a 1:48 for 13.1. Is it all in my head, or is this possible based upon where I am right now? I guess I'm asking strategy, because I'd assume to go another 5.1 miles, I'm pushing my pace up into the 9 minute mile arena, and gauging how I feel. Going to do some outside runs coming up in March with the weather in SE PA getting (hopefully) a little better and test this out. Do you guys find if you can consistently run X pace for Y miles, ticking the pace up Z will get you within the range of a target time for a race? I think that's where I'm struggling with the online calculators.

Thanks in advance, and I'm glad I finally have a reason to pop into this thread.

New to the thread. Started running about a year ago, and have been training on the treadmill in the winter. Typically do 8 miles @ 8min/mi 3 times a week. I was asked to do a half marathon with people from work, so I'm taking the plunge in early April. I took a look at the calculators in the OP, and it has me at about a 1:48 for 13.1. Is it all in my head, or is this possible based upon where I am right now? I guess I'm asking strategy, because I'd assume to go another 5.1 miles, I'm pushing my pace up into the 9 minute mile arena, and gauging how I feel. Going to do some outside runs coming up in March with the weather in SE PA getting (hopefully) a little better and test this out. Do you guys find if you can consistently run X pace for Y miles, ticking the pace up Z will get you within the range of a target time for a race? I think that's where I'm struggling with the online calculators.

Thanks in advance, and I'm glad I finally have a reason to pop into this thread.
Welcome!

How do you feel after those 8 milers at 8:00 pace? Assuming you're handling those reasonably comfortably, I think 1:48 is certainly obtainable. In fact, holding that 8:00 pace the whole way shouldn't be out of the question. You'll be psyched on race day and able to push yourself to do things you might not be able to do on a routine training run.

Agreed, if you're running 8min pace for 8 miles in training runs then you can likely run close to that pace in a race. Keep hanging out here and the guys who know stuff will help you out along the way.

Done with my 16 mile long run, treadmill again. Just too damn cold this morning and I had to get it done early. 9:50 pace over the first 10, 9:30 over the last six. Felt great overall but hunger was an issue throughout, took 5 GUs to get through it despite eating a banana and an English muffin w peanut butter 2 hrs before the run.

40 miles for the week, day off tomorrow and on to week 13.

Don't worry too much about the race goal until you get outside for some runs. The first ones might seem sluggish vs. the treadmill. But I agree that if you're holding 8's for 8, you have a good shot at extending that out to 13.1. Remember that you won't be able to improve much over the two weeks prior to the race, so get outside as soon as you can!

Hey dudes I've gained 20lbs since the Chicago Marathon in Oct. I hate winter running and treadmills. Cannot wait to get back outside and back into this thread.

Rest day turned into 90 minute rock climbing with my 12yo. My grip is weak
Did a high ropes course with my 9 year old about 2 months ago. I went up to make sure he was safe. Yeah, right. Kid was 2 obstacles ahead of me at all times and constantly asking why I was so slow. He thoroughly trounced me.

:bag:

Best run since October. 9 snow covered hilly trail miles. No climbs were more than 250 feet, but there were more than a half dozen of them and one was so steep I had to army crawl up the top embankment. I got about 3/4 of the way up and started slipping on the ice, after the third failed attempt I just fell then rolled over and crawled the rest of the way. Glad no one was around to see that! All told, took me an hour twenty and I was able to get three miles under 7:30 despite the conditions and single digit temps. Beautiful sunny windless morning, very happy I made the thirty minute trek to this area for this run.

For something totally different tomorrow I'm going to high step my way for 3-4 miles on the unshoveled sidewalks in the neighborhood as we get blanketed by another half foot of snow. But for now, vino.

Guess I can't complain about tomorrow's forecast. 7am 29 degrees and freezing drizzle. It will get into the 40s again but should rain most of the day.

Nice 5 miles for my last run before 40.

And on the birthday note...will be getting a new watch soon. My 305 hasn't been able to keep any more than 40-50 minutes charge...now lately it has had trouble even taking a charge at all.

Think I am ready for a change...but looking around, trying to figure out if any options allow for 4 data fields on one screen like the 305 can?

I like having total time, total mileage, lap time and HR all one the screen.

I could probably do without if I needed to...but that is one thing I really like.

Had been thinking about waiting for the VivoActive...but looking at it, Im not sure its what is best for me (and the way it sets out the data looks odd to me too).

Is it all just something you get used to no matter what? I may be able to get by with only 3 data fields I guess...another thing to get used to thouh.

Just wondering.

I know there are several that like the TomTom

Nice 5 miles for my last run before 40.

And on the birthday note...will be getting a new watch soon. My 305 hasn't been able to keep any more than 40-50 minutes charge...now lately it has had trouble even taking a charge at all.

Think I am ready for a change...but looking around, trying to figure out if any options allow for 4 data fields on one screen like the 305 can?

I like having total time, total mileage, lap time and HR all one the screen.

I could probably do without if I needed to...but that is one thing I really like.

Had been thinking about waiting for the VivoActive...but looking at it, Im not sure its what is best for me (and the way it sets out the data looks odd to me too).

Is it all just something you get used to no matter what? I may be able to get by with only 3 data fields I guess...another thing to get used to thouh.

Just wondering.

I know there are several that like the TomTom
What is your price limit? The Tom Tom is only $100 and may get you what you want. The polar M400 does 4 data fields (and a nice return to start feature). The 310XT also does (and does lots of other stuff, but is a bit bulkier than some). I'm sure the running Garmins (620, etc.) will do what you want, but $$$.

Or maybe a refurbished 610 for $120?

Lots of choices out there.

Sho nuff - happy birthday!

I like Tom but it depends what you want. I'm perfectly happy to only see HR and time for most of my runs. If you want more, it might not work as well for you.

If anyone is interested in joining a long running dynasty league, I'm taking over one of my favorites as co-commissioner this year (last commish is still around but is getting too busy so two of us took over together). http://www2.myfantasyleague.com/2015/home/20654#0 We have one open for sure and are waiting for 6 replies; in a 32 team league we've had some turnover but it's a good group. 14 years and running. Figured I'd ask here first before the "looking for leagues" forum as I'd rather get people I know (and have obvious commitment) involved than random strangers.

Users who are viewing this thread