What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (6 Viewers)

Thats funny, I wish I did the opposite. Walked off the varsity soccer team as a freshman and started running cross country instead. I sucked at XC :lol:
:hey:

XC for 2 years, swam 4, track 1, tennis 1. Junior and senior years I swam year round but still wasn't very good. Was lucky to get below 60 seconds in 100y free a couple times, never won anything more than an event in a minor meet or two.

College - wasn't fast enough to even try out for the swim team but water polo was a metric ####-ton of fun.

I battled this many times thru my 20s. I'd always expect to be back into my high school shape and get pissed off when I wasn't or getting injured because I was too fat to run the paces I was trying to run. Now I'm running the marathon at my old HS 5K pace and I think its 100% due to staying active in this thread.
See here's an advantage I have over many of you, at least mentally - I have no fast days to look back on or compare myself to. And I was fatter at 22 than I am at 42.
Me too. No youth to compare to. I started at 44 and while I am skinner now than at 22 I won't be if I don't get back to training soon. I still eat like a college freshman (and drink like a college senior).
Me 3. I never started running until my mid 30s. The only running time I remember was a mile senior year in high school for that national physical fitness test which I've since bested. I guess there are advantages and disadvantages of a running past, though. In retrospect, I wish I would have joined the cross country team instead of playing soccer.
Thats funny, I wish I did the opposite. Walked off the varsity soccer team as a freshman and started running cross country instead. I sucked at XC :lol:
Varsity team as a freshman? Wow, for my school that was unheard of. We had one freshman that made the sophomore team.

I battled this many times thru my 20s. I'd always expect to be back into my high school shape and get pissed off when I wasn't or getting injured because I was too fat to run the paces I was trying to run. Now I'm running the marathon at my old HS 5K pace and I think its 100% due to staying active in this thread.
See here's an advantage I have over many of you, at least mentally - I have no fast days to look back on or compare myself to. And I was fatter at 22 than I am at 42.
Me too. No youth to compare to. I started at 44 and while I am skinner now than at 22 I won't be if I don't get back to training soon. I still eat like a college freshman (and drink like a college senior).
Me 3. I never started running until my mid 30s. The only running time I remember was a mile senior year in high school for that national physical fitness test which I've since bested. I guess there are advantages and disadvantages of a running past, though. In retrospect, I wish I would have joined the cross country team instead of playing soccer.
Varsity team as a freshman? Wow, for my school that was unheard of. We had one freshman that made the sophomore team.
I was 4 year varsity soccer (and all-state) in HS and 4 year varsity at top 20 Div 1 college- so running was never an issue for me, but I never had reason to try to go super fast for mileage (outside of needing to do the Cooper run- 2miles under 12:00).

When I started doing the tris, something about a shorter stride/higher cadence got me running a lot faster over distance. probably didn't hurt that I was also putting in lot more miles of pure running (versus soccery type sprint, run, walk, zig-zag, etc).

It's fun to reminisce.

We were a div 1 school in Delaware, which doesn't mean much; the competition wasn't all that for soccer. I made up for my mediocre technical skills with speed. I won plenty races in regular H2H meets, but I wasn't very good at the state level. My Uncle Rico claim to fame is being 6th in the state for the 200m @ 22.9. I scored the team 1pt with that effort :lol: :flex:

We had an amazing mid distance runner on our team that dominated the 800. He routinely ran low 1:50s - nobody could hold a candle to him. Anyone that could break 2:00 was in the top flight. Low 1:50s is sick.

It makes me feel old to think this was all before they kept results online. I'd love to page through the archives and see old meet results. :kicksrock:

The only running I did was for other sports (a ran to shed weight for wrestling) and during my time in the Army. I started running to improve my health and fitness at age 43.

BTW, I hit 100 miles for the year with my 4 mile run today. Not a lot compared to a lot of you, but I am pretty excited about my progress (did about 250 miles last year).

SFBayDuck said:
FUBAR said:
Just got the email saying my request to drop IM CHOO was accepted.

just told the wife I'm signing up for the pinhoti 100. She thinks I'm nuts.

Duck / others, advise please. What should I expect? Training time vs ironman, mental, etc.

It's November 7-8
NICE!! A point-to-point 100, love it.

I obviously can't compare to IM training time, but I would think it would be comparable or maybe even less. But it all depends. I'm relatively low volume at 45-55 miles per week training for my 100 miler, while others are busting out 70-100 per week. Pinhoti isn't mountainous, but with 16K' of vert it's not flat, either. How technical is the course? I don't know a lot about this one.

Random thoughts:

• It's all about specificity, and as you're going to be spending some time power hiking (especially mile 35-40 and mile 73) be sure you mix that in to your training. I just include it in my hilly long runs, but I also go out and do some specific hiking as well, especially on tired legs. If this course is technical, try to get out and train on that kind of terrain.
  • 16,500' of elevation loss = train your quads on downhills. Long downhills, downhill repeats, pushing the downs hard on rolling terrain. I did this a lot and still had quad/IT issues in my race, so I need to do it even more. Of course strength training like <tri-man>lunges<\tri-man> would help as well.
  • Practice running at night, with the light system you're going to use. I like a combo of a headlamp and a handheld as it evens out the shadows and improves depth perception.
You've done IMs, so you're used to being uncomfortable I'd assume. That'll come in very handy.

Obviously I've only done one of these so far, so I still have a ton to learn as well.

Looking forward to following your training!
Some comments here:

1. Awesome - I hope you get to do it!

2. I know a guy who has done Pinhoti a couple of times. I can ask him whatever you'd like or put you in touch. He's a super cool guy, so he'd be happy to help.

3. I offered to BnB to pace him on a section. That offer stands for you. I enjoy pain (in smaller doses).

Ok, gents. #### has gotten real.

My calendar is now overflowing. I just signed up for a 7 day cycling tour in the Highlands of Scotland. This was a wonderful confluence of events as I had a conference the week before, so very convenient to stay over. And it was the one that lit my eyes up, as a huge bonus. The ride sports:

340 miles in a week

31,000 feet of climbing

1 Cat 1, 4 Cat 2, and like 8 Cat 3 climbs

The final climb is the Bealach-na-Ba. Climb, Top.

This is on top of a number of centuries including Cheaha Ultra (13k climbing) and Blood, Sweat , and Gears. My legs hurt already.

And I need to drop weight, fatty.

My calendar is now overflowing. I just signed up for a 7 day cycling tour in the Highlands of Scotland. This was a wonderful confluence of events as I had a conference the week before, so very convenient to stay over. And it was the one that lit my eyes up, as a huge bonus. The ride sports:

340 miles in a week

31,000 feet of climbing

This is on top of a number of centuries including Cheaha Ultra (13k climbing) and Blood, Sweat , and Gears. My legs hurt already.

Man, that's gonna be cool. Keep us posted with pics and such.

340 miles in a week

31,000 feet of climbing

You have a GoPro, right?

My 2015 running has flat out sucked. Frankly, I've been pretty demotivated from running between work being insane, the weather, kids indoor soccer, and working really hard on my archery game.

It's a balmy 37 degrees today, so I decided to do an 8/4 LT run for the hell of it. I just needed to know where my fitness is at. Granted this is just barely under MP, but I was thrilled to be able to do this and not pass out at mile 6. 6:58/176.

Man it felt great to feel some pain.

Anyone still thinking about a RoadID? I believe you can use this code they sent me for $5 off on $10 or more:

Use Coupon Code: UB8TXP4MJU (Expires 02/28/2015)http://enews.roadid.com/public/?q=u...02gQ..AgA0qg.b..s.AeOB.n.VO430A.VO5Y9Q.SktA9A

Ned, I picture this as your uncle, of course:

http://courtneybeckblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/SS_NapoleonDynamite.jpg

El Floppo, since we're reminiscing, you should use Throwback Thursday and give (re-post?) a Lake Placid Ironman race report from back in the day.

Sand - geez, dude. You're just a little bit insane. I can't wait for that race report!!

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Posting from the recovery room now. Procedure went well with no apparent complications. They found the bad node and ablated. Hopefully I'll be back and better than ever sooner rather than later! :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Posting from the recovery room now. Procedure went will with no apparent complications. They found the bad node and ablated. Hopefully I'll be back and better than ever sooner rather than later! :thumbup:
Great news. Thanks for the update. Pics of the hot nurse would be appreciated.

TIA

Posting from the recovery room now. Procedure went will with no apparent complications. They found the bad node and ablated. Hopefully I'll be back and better than ever sooner rather than later! :thumbup:
Hell, yeah! What's the recovery effort/time look like?

It's not bad from what I've read but I haven't talked to my doctor yet. I've read one week off of running mainly just from the groin entry point of the catheters. After that I've heard mixed things from a month with nothing intense to being ready to roll.

You have a GoPro, right?
Garmin VIRB, but essentially yes. The VIRB will mesh with my computer for overlays and all kinds of other stuff.

I will be taking my good camera, but fully expect most of my pictures will be with this.

Sand - geez, dude. You're just a little bit insane. I can't wait for that race report!!
Oh, I'm not even in the top 5 in this thread on the insanity scale...

But it should be an epic ride.

Posting from the recovery room now. Procedure went well with no apparent complications. They found the bad node and ablated. Hopefully I'll be back and better than ever sooner rather than later! :thumbup:
Excellent, great to have that over with, hopefully it takes.

We're you completely under or local anesthesia? I've heard of it done either way, local would freak me out. How long it take?

Excellent, great to have that over with, hopefully it takes. We're you completely under or local anesthesia? I've heard of it done either way, local would freak me out. How long it take?
I was under the impression that I was going to much more sedated than I was. I was comfortable but I was talking to the doctor and the nurses most the time. seemed like the set up took longer than the actual procedure. All together I think it took 2-1/2 hours. It wasn't bad at all. Now I'm just recovering lying still for 4 hours to let my legs clot and then I can go home.

Excellent, great to have that over with, hopefully it takes.We're you completely under or local anesthesia? I've heard of it done either way, local would freak me out. How long it take?
I was under the impression that I was going to much more sedated than I was. I was comfortable but I was talking to the doctor and the nurses most the time. seemed like the set up took longer than the actual procedure. All together I think it took 2-1/2 hours. It wasn't bad at all. Now I'm just recovering lying still for 4 hours to let my legs clot and then I can go home.
Whoa - you were awake with them working on your heart??? :shock:

Excellent, great to have that over with, hopefully it takes.We're you completely under or local anesthesia? I've heard of it done either way, local would freak me out. How long it take?
Definitely sounds scarier than it was...might had something to do with the drugs. ;)

I could definitely feel the burn when he caratized the bad sections. Didn't hurt. Just uncomfortable.

I'm really glad it went well!!!

Definitely sounds scarier than it was...might had something to do with the drugs. ;)

I could definitely feel the burn when he caratized the bad sections. Didn't hurt. Just uncomfortable.
Modern medicine is amazing. Glad you're all good.

You guys are freakin' crazy. I will never have this level of commitment to running....ever! Chomping at the bit to get going again though. How do you guys tell when you are sufficiently hydrated?

Definitely sounds scarier than it was...might had something to do with the drugs. ;) I could definitely feel the burn when he caratized the bad sections. Didn't hurt. Just uncomfortable.
Modern medicine is amazing. Glad you're all good.
It really is amazing. The fact they can go through your legs all the way to your heart and manipulate these little wires with such precision is crazy. Burn the wrong spot and I would need a pacemaker for the rest of my life but burn the right spot and I'm cured. Unreal.

You guys are freakin' crazy. I will never have this level of commitment to running....ever! Chomping at the bit to get going again though. How do you guys tell when you are sufficiently hydrated?
Yeah, most of us said that once. :lol:

For me, I'm usually drinking water most of the day anyway, so I never really worry about hydration.

When I start to pee really yellow is when I worry about it.

4 years of XC for this guy and sometimes I feel like I'm only trying to chase some of the high (runner's proverbial) that I was getting back then.

Enjoyed the break in bad weather with intervals this afternoon.

Schedule called for 5x800s but I modified it slightly to 11 x 3:15, first warm up, then then alternate hard/easy with the goal being to hit just over a half mile on each of the hard, recover well during the easy.

Mission accomplished. the hard were all over .51 (6:05 pace) on the recovery intervals I'd get below 140bpm within the first minute walking, then jog the rest.

Hope the road isn't too icy tomorrow but we already have a late work call so I'll probably ride in the morning.

FUBAR said:
Just got the email saying my request to drop IM CHOO was accepted.

just told the wife I'm signing up for the pinhoti 100. She thinks I'm nuts.

Duck / others, advise please. What should I expect? Training time vs ironman, mental, etc.

It's November 7-8
Pinhoti is the real deal bud, it's a ball buster. Know a few that have run it, Brass N Brew may have even run it or maybe he wanted to...

Awesome man, glad to hear :thumbup:

You guys kicked me out of the original thread.
You forgot the beer - what do you expect?
Never forget the beer :D

Ned thanks for the hat tip :bowtie: :suds:

Yeah, most of us said that once. :lol:

For me, I'm usually drinking water most of the day anyway, so I never really worry about hydration.

When I start to pee really yellow is when I worry about it.
Guilty.

Another great day today. 4.34 Miles, HM pace. 168 HR. 8:53 pace.

Was at 9:05 Saturday with a 172 HR for about the same distance. Weather has been a little warmer this week, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

But I'm getting excited about this HR training now.

Doctor said yesterday after a week and my incisions heal, there are no restrictions. :thumbup:

Was interesting when they said I could get dressed and head home...was having a hell of a time putting my pants, socks and shoes on as sore as I was. I walked about 15 feet and noticed that I sprung a leak...my jeans were soaked in blood. Had to go lay down for another 2 hours. So yeah, I probably won't push the 1 week time table on returning to running.

Very happy with my treadmill 5K this morning. After two mile warm-up, I set it to 10.1 mph which is 5:56 pace. Surprisingly, after an uncertain first 1.5 miles I suddenly felt like I settled in like one would on a hard tempo run. I knew I had it at that point and cruised the rest of the way on much less than 100% effort. That works out to 18:26 which is better than my outside PR of 18:41.

Doctor said yesterday after a week and my incisions heal, there are no restrictions. :thumbup:

Was interesting when they said I could get dressed and head home...was having a hell of a time putting my pants, socks and shoes on as sore as I was. I walked about 15 feet and noticed that I sprung a leak...my jeans were soaked in blood. Had to go lay down for another 2 hours. So yeah, I probably won't push the 1 week time table on returning to running.
I expect great things out of you this summer and fall. :thumbup:

Very happy with my treadmill 5K this morning. After two mile warm-up, I set it to 10.1 mph which is 5:56 pace. Surprisingly, after an uncertain first 1.5 miles I suddenly felt like I settled in like one would on a hard tempo run. I knew I had it at that point and cruised the rest of the way on much less than 100% effort. That works out to 18:26 which is better than my outside PR of 18:41.
Can't wait to see what you can do in a real 5K soon. These treadmill 5K's you've been doing are incredible. :thumbup:

Had what I guess I'd consider a breakthrough run this morning in that I was dreading it, expecting it to be extremely tough but eded up feeling great. Felt like I could have added a 3rd 5k repeat.

1m w/u 9:45

5k 24:05

1 min rest

5k 23:37

1m c/d 9:33

Treadmill w 1% incline

With an easy 3 tomorrow and 16 (will finally get outside for this one) on Sat I'll complete my first ever 40 mile week.

In a great place now, as soon as I finish a run I can't wait for the next.

Had what I guess I'd consider a breakthrough run this morning in that I was dreading it, expecting it to be extremely tough but eded up feeling great. Felt like I could have added a 3rd 5k repeat.

1 min rest

Treadmill w 1% incline

With an easy 3 tomorrow and 16 (will finally get outside for this one) on Sat I'll complete my first ever 40 mile week.

Sounds like a pretty good training cycle. That has to feel incredible.

1 min rest

Treadmill w 1% incline

Nice job! I'm curious about the one minute rest. That's almost no time at all! Was that pre-planned or did you just feel ready to go again?

1 min rest

Treadmill w 1% incline

Nice job! I'm curious about the one minute rest. That's almost no time at all! Was that pre-planned or did you just feel ready to go again?
It was preplanned, what the guy who put the plan together that I'm following prescribed. I had a gu, a drink, a quick calf and quad stretch then fired it up again. Good question though, not sure why it wasn't just a 10k tempo.

Coming off my distance PR I got some bad news, think I tore my meniscus again in my bad knee (this would be 3rd time). Just turned around, felt that familiar twinge and my knee just about gave out. Now I can just be walking and it buckles, hate this ####. I wasn't going to be challenging Steve for the tape but the marathon I had on the books for next Saturday is a pipe dream. Trying to get registration switched to next year.

Scheduled an appointment with an ortho, probably have to get an MRI and if it's what I think surgery then 6 weeks of light duty before it I can start back into it.

Coming off my distance PR I got some bad news, think I tore my meniscus again in my bad knee (this would be 3rd time). Just turned around, felt that familiar twinge and my knee just about gave out. Now I can just be walking and it buckles, hate this ####. I wasn't going to be challenging Steve for the tape but the marathon I had on the books for next Saturday is a pipe dream. Trying to get registration switched to next year.

Scheduled an appointment with an ortho, probably have to get an MRI and if it's what I think surgery then 6 weeks of light duty before it I can start back into it.
Oh man, what a bummer. :( Really sorry to hear this.

Hope you can get back to healthy again soon.

Oh man, what a bummer. :( Really sorry to hear this.

Hope you can get back to healthy again soon.
Ooof, sucks. Here's to a quick recovery :banned:

:sadbanana: :sadbanana:

Users who are viewing this thread