What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (3 Viewers)

Sounds like we're in a similar boat, running-wise. I'm getting nervous about Ice Age.
If it helps, our new place has a private rooftop deck with a hot tub and a 60" outdoor TV. And a LOT of cold beer for after the race. :)
:finger: :)
And that is what gets me the finger. Not the 6-foot blonde Polish girl with legs for days. ;)

P.S. Come up and do the South Shore half with me, and you can see the place!

Last edited by a moderator:
gruecd said:
tri-man 47 said:
gruecd said:
Ned said:
Sounds like we're in a similar boat, running-wise. I'm getting nervous about Ice Age.
If it helps, our new place has a private rooftop deck with a hot tub and a 60" outdoor TV. And a LOT of cold beer for after the race. :)
And that is what gets me the finger. Not the 6-foot blonde Polish girl with legs for days. ;)

What would a guy tri-man's age do with a young 6 foot blonde with legs for days?

Better get him one of those blue pills.

gruecd said:
tri-man 47 said:
gruecd said:
Ned said:

What would a guy tri-man's age do with a young 6 foot blonde with legs for days?

Better get him one of those blue pills.
Ah, forget the pill. I could earn a dot in about 10 minutes, then spend the rest of those days enjoying the deck and TV.

grue, I've got a HM scheduled here on that same date ...which presumes my injured foot/ankle will have healed and I can actually start running again. But thanks for the invite. Getting better after a week and a half, but still too tender to run.

Quick question:

My higdon plan calls for 8x800 today at 10K pace. Ned laid out a nice HR chart for me, so I know what HR I need to be at for my 5k paces and my HM race pace.

For 10K pace, should I be shooting for a HR in the half marathon pace range, the 5K pace, or somewhere in between? I'm guessing somewhere in between?

This is one of those workouts where you can up clip the leash and get after it. I wouldn't worry too much about 10k pace. Just make sure you're above HM effort and you'll be fine. The focus is on speed.

Just don't be a ####### and try to sprint them!

Quick question:

My higdon plan calls for 8x800 today at 10K pace. Ned laid out a nice HR chart for me, so I know what HR I need to be at for my 5k paces and my HM race pace.

For 10K pace, should I be shooting for a HR in the half marathon pace range, the 5K pace, or somewhere in between? I'm guessing somewhere in between?
Closer to 5k. Guys - when you do these intervals do you do them at best case scenario pace or most likely pace? Or best pace you can complete the workout in?

Today was 4x1600 for me, went at uncomfortable but not killer pace. Half mile warm up, 1600 HM pace, 800 easy, repeat.

A surprisingly consistent 6:56-6:58. Think I can do better but considering I'm still sore from yesterday's workout, I'll take it.

yesterday was trail 3 minute intervals, start by doing 25 air squats, run, 15 uphill walking lunges, run 3 minutes, 25 air squats, run 3 minutes, 15 uphill lunges... 12 running intervals, squats on both ends for 175 air squats, 90 lunges, 4.5 miles.

Quick question:

Closer to 5k. Guys - when you do these intervals do you do them at best case scenario pace or most likely pace? Or best pace you can complete the workout in?

Today was 4x1600 for me, went at uncomfortable but not killer pace. Half mile warm up, 1600 HM pace, 800 easy, repeat.

A surprisingly consistent 6:56-6:58. Think I can do better but considering I'm still sore from yesterday's workout, I'll take it.

yesterday was trail 3 minute intervals, start by doing 25 air squats, run, 15 uphill walking lunges, run 3 minutes, 25 air squats, run 3 minutes, 15 uphill lunges... 12 running intervals, squats on both ends for 175 air squats, 90 lunges, 4.5 miles.
I let'em rip and hope for the best. I treat it similar to a shorter race. Sand it and hold on for the puke, but I will back it off if my HR breaks into low 190s (which is rare). It always takes me 2 or 3 intervals before my HR will get into that 185+ range. ####, now I want to run intervals. :wub:

ETA: what was the purpose of doing intervals at HM pace? Why not just run a regular tempo run if you're going to go that easy?

ETA: what was the purpose of doing intervals at HM pace? Why not just run a regular tempo run if you're going to go that easy?
:shrug: ask hal. http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51133/Half-Marathon-Advanced-Training-Program

Pace: A lot of runners look at my training schedules and ask, "What do you mean by 'pace?'" I mean "race pace," the pace at which you expect to run the half marathon. Some workouts are designed as pace runs to get you used to running the pace you will run in the race. In Week 10, for example, I ask you to do "5 m pace." Hopefully that is self-explanatory. You might want to do a short warm-up before starting each of these pace runs.

Frankly, it will probably be my easiest workout this week.

:shrug: ask hal. http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51133/Half-Marathon-Advanced-Training-ProgramPace: A lot of runners look at my training schedules and ask, "What do you mean by 'pace?'" I mean "race pace," the pace at which you expect to run the half marathon. Some workouts are designed as pace runs to get you used to running the pace you will run in the race. In Week 10, for example, I ask you to do "5 m pace." Hopefully that is self-explanatory. You might want to do a short warm-up before starting each of these pace runs.
He means pace runs here, not intervals. I can't imagine you're gaining much by intervals at a tempo pace. Too slow for speed work, too short for a stamina workout.If you can manage, I recommend shooting for the McMillan workout times based on your race goal.

:shrug: ask hal. http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51133/Half-Marathon-Advanced-Training-ProgramPace: A lot of runners look at my training schedules and ask, "What do you mean by 'pace?'" I mean "race pace," the pace at which you expect to run the half marathon. Some workouts are designed as pace runs to get you used to running the pace you will run in the race. In Week 10, for example, I ask you to do "5 m pace." Hopefully that is self-explanatory. You might want to do a short warm-up before starting each of these pace runs.
He means pace runs here, not intervals. I can't imagine you're gaining much by intervals at a tempo pace. Too slow for speed work, too short for a stamina workout.If you can manage, I recommend shooting for the McMillan workout times based on your race goal.
He needs to be a hell of a lot clearer then. "4 x 1600 race pace"I'm less than 20 days from the first half. Don't think switching programs makes sense.

Quick question:

Closer to 5k.Guys - when you do these intervals do you do them at best case scenario pace or most likely pace? Or best pace you can complete the workout in?

I tend to go with 'best pace' for completing the workout. For just 4 repeats, I'd expect they'd be quite uncomfortable from the get-go.

Chief, hopefully your 800s were a hard, productive effort.

He needs to be a hell of a lot clearer then. "4 x 1600 race pace"I'm less than 20 days from the first half. Don't think switching programs makes sense.
You're right, looking at the chart he does want you to do those at race pace. Odd. Are you trying for a sub 1:30? McMillan would have you run 1600s between 6:14 and 6:25.
I probably would have run that pace if not for the cold rain. I have been pushing slightly harder than he calls for.

So pushed up to 2.5 miles today but couldn't maintain the 10 per pace. Ended up at about 10:25 per. Still, have to continue to push my fat ###.
It'll come! Good that you pushed your limit.

Commish - be patient ...we all have our ebbs and flows.
Yeah, I just wasn't comfortable. My heart rate (by the treadmill) was lower than before, but I'd get winded pretty quick and my legs felt "tired". I asked before about leg workouts, and after this last week, there's no question I need to keep doing them. I was on the right path, so that makes me feel good about where I'm headed.
Mission Accomplished #####es!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got through the plan...doing it one more time on Friday then moving on with the program. :thumbup:

Ran 5 miles yesterday for the first time since my surgery. It was definitely a struggle at times but I got it done. My groin was a little more tender than I realized (stop laughing) and I'm definitely glad I didn't attempt to run before yesterday. I tried to not worry about my heart rate too much and just run at my buddy's pace and that ended up being an 8:42 pace (157 bpm). Definitely much higher than before my surgery but there weren't any dramatic spikes and I guess I should have expected that. Anyway, it was good to get back out there at least.

Finally getting warm here. A little chilly today, but 50's for the weekend and creeping into the 70's next week. Nirvana.

Been a good week so far. No regressions from last week on HR, so everything looking great so far.

another hill day (this one after doing squats yesterday).

About 4 inches of snow overnight.

So sledding it is again today...and maybe a treadmill run later.

Glad to hear you're back on the pavement Hang. You'll be fully mended before you know it.

Yesterday was my first speed session since probably last September or October: 7 miles with 4 at LT. I did the LT portion on the TM at 7:30/mi and it felt pretty easy. I wouldn't have had any problem going longer. That said, I strongly prefer doing these runs outdoors rather than on a mill; pushing to hold a constant pace is part of the workout, and the TM robs me of that a little. It's supposed to warm up dramatically next week -- time to get outside more.

Hopefully the last true snow run of the year. Six snow covered hilly trail miles in the warmest ten degree temps I've ever encountered. I sure hope I'm not getting used to this ####.

Bring on the above freezing temps this weekend!

Hopefully the last true snow run of the year. Six snow covered hilly trail miles in the warmest ten degree temps I've ever encountered. I sure hope I'm not getting used to this ####.

Bring on the above freezing temps this weekend!
I helped build a sweet ramp on the sledding hill with another parent so we could try and paralyze ourselves and our children.

Third straight Way Too Cool 50K tomorrow. I ran it in 6:24 in 2013 and 6:11 last year, and I'm planning on continuing the trend and crossing that finish line with a "5" as the first digit tomorrow. It's going to be a warm day, in the 70s by the end of the race, but overall should be good conditions.

Heart rate guys, what would a heart rate training plan look like if I was running 4 to 5 days a week? I think my max is around 196-200.

I was thinking of the maffetone method...or something like it.

ETA: Obviously I'm trying to ease back into training and I figure now would be a good time to train at lower heart rates.

ETA: Obviously I'm trying to ease back into training and I figure now would be a good time to train at lower heart rates.
I don't consider myself a "heart rate guy", but maybe just start out by running easy for a few weeks and looking at the data after that point.

I don't consider myself a "heart rate guy", but maybe just start out by running easy for a few weeks and looking at the data after that point.
I hear ya but I was thinking I might need a little more structure that would keep me pushing too hard too soon.

If you don't have a specific race, I'd highly recommend maf. Are you cross training or would you commit totally to maf for a few months?

If you don't have a specific race, I'd highly recommend maf. Are you cross training or would you commit totally to maf for a few months?
Definitely want to do 2 to 3 days worth of weights and calisthenics.

I hear ya but I was thinking I might need a little more structure that would keep me pushing too hard too soon.
Since you have a high max, how about staying under 145.

6 miles in today...last run with my 305 (was hoping to have the new toy here...but thinking the stupid snow delayed it a bit.

305 only lasted about 4.5 miles of it.

Since you have a high max, how about staying under 145.
Exactly what I was going to post. Although, I'm wondering if your max is different after the surgery?I agree with Juxt's other point - just run super easy and collect the data. You'll know soon enough.

Absolutely fantastic day in Chicago today for running. Got out and did 3 miles still on the easing back into things path, but gradually pushing it. Totally nerdy, but about 2 miles into it, ran about 200 yards at an almost sprint - just felt great to be out there.

Calf is still not normal, but a different kind of pain than last year which gives me a little hope. As with last year, the running itself is virtually pain free, it's the post-run where things can go off the rails. As I learned last year, it's tough to know how to push it when you don't get real time feedback from the body.

Finally got outside today! My son had two hockey games on the south shore in Rockland, 9am and 2pm. Left him w another dad between games and drove to the family summer house in Humarock and ran there. A little windy but roads were in decent shape and the place is deserted this time of year so little traffic.

12 mile run, goal was to do it at MGP. Averaged 8:45s (a little faster than planned) 139 ave HR. Felt great during and after.

Heart rate guys, what would a heart rate training plan look like if I was running 4 to 5 days a week? I think my max is around 196-200.
You know - 220, 221 whatever it takes.

-----

In other news a nice, hard 55 mile ride today. That makes 120 miles on the week. Hope to pile it in tomorrow as the forecast has us down for 7 straight days of rain. Bleh.

decided to use the old 205, still works.

Today's Higdon called for 2 hours 3/1 (first 75% easy, 25% harder)

No HRM to use so went at PE6 for the first 90 minutes, ended up being 8:30 pace

then 25 minutes PE8, 7:28 pace

5 minutes cooldown, 10 minute pace jog.

Wife goes out of town next weekend and I'll have the kids so probably won't run over the weekend, trainer will suffice though maybe I'll escape for 30 minutes or so before they wake up. 12 yo can handle things for a short time.

Congrats on the big PR, Duck!

---------------------------------------------------

Not the best week for me. I started the week nursing a Achilles/heel situation and then caught what might have been the flu. I didn't run Wednesday through Friday. The body aches and chills and fever are gone but I'm still stuck with a cough and running nose. The weather finally turned so I ran outside the last few days. Mainly just easy running although I ran one fast mile (5:48) today because it's been 10 days since I last ran fast and I needed a reminder on what it feels like. (It's hard.)

Weather for my first 5K of the season this Saturday looks decent: 39 degrees at race time, 24% chance of rain, 7 mph winds. I'm not sure what to do this week for training. Mentally I feel like I need to run fast one more time.

Not the best week for me. I started the week nursing a Achilles/heel situation and then caught what might have been the flu. I didn't run Wednesday through Friday. The body aches and chills and fever are gone but I'm still stuck with a cough and running nose. The weather finally turned so I ran outside the last few days. Mainly just easy running although I ran one fast mile (5:48) today because it's been 10 days since I last ran fast and I needed a reminder on what it feels like. (It's hard.)

Weather for my first 5K of the season this Saturday looks decent: 39 degrees at race time, 24% chance of rain, 7 mph winds. I'm not sure what to do this week for training. Mentally I feel like I need to run fast one more time.
Ugh, that sucks. But hey, at least it happened this week and not next week. I'm all for the mental side of things. If it's going to give you the confidence you need, go for a some sort of Fartlek run on Tuesday.

Ugh, that sucks. But hey, at least it happened this week and not next week.I'm all for the mental side of things. If it's going to give you the confidence you need, go for a some sort of Fartlek run on Tuesday.
Yes, better last week than this one.

A fartlek sounds like a good idea. It's supposed to be in the 50s Tuesday evening.

I am starting to see some progress with my training this week, particularly with the tempo run on Sat. Three more weeks of real training and then starts the taper. The marathon pace run next week and the half in two weeks should give me a good idea of what is possible on marathon day.

M 5 X 600s (9 miles total), this was kind of disappointing as I expected this to be easier and faster but perhaps I wasn't fully recovered from the 22 miler two days earlier. The track was snow covered so I did these on the road.
Paces 5:53, 5:58, 6:00, 5:57, 6:00.

T 14 miles 8:17 138

W 6 mile recovery 8:15 139. There are many benefits in running in a group, but one of the downsides is sometimes you get pulled along faster than you'd like. If I was running this one on my own I would have ran this slower.

T 5 miles easy on treadmill.

F OFF.

Sat The schedule calls out a tuneup race, but I ran a 6 mile tempo run instead. My best tempo run of the training cycle. 6:29 166, 6:25 168, 6:22 170, 6:27 169, 6:26 169, and 6:16 170.

Sun 18 miles 8:14 139

61 miles total

Ugh, that sucks. But hey, at least it happened this week and not next week.I'm all for the mental side of things. If it's going to give you the confidence you need, go for a some sort of Fartlek run on Tuesday.

A fartlek sounds like a good idea. It's supposed to be in the 50s Tuesday evening.
This makes sense to me. How did the heel/achilles feel during the 5:48 mile?

I am starting to see some progress with my training this week, particularly with the tempo run on Sat. Three more weeks of real training and then starts the taper. The marathon pace run next week and the half in two weeks should give me a good idea of what is possible on marathon day.

M 5 X 600s (9 miles total), this was kind of disappointing as I expected this to be easier and faster but perhaps I wasn't fully recovered from the 22 miler two days earlier. The track was snow covered so I did these on the road.

W 6 mile recovery 8:15 139. There are many benefits in running in a group, but one of the downsides is sometimes you get pulled along faster than you'd like. If I was running this one on my own I would have ran this slower.

F OFF.

Sat The schedule calls out a tuneup race, but I ran a 6 mile tempo run instead. My best tempo run of the training cycle. 6:29 166, 6:25 168, 6:22 170, 6:27 169, 6:26 169, and 6:16 170.

61 miles total
1:25

F OFF.

61 miles total
1:25
If I run a 1:25 and run the marathon pace miles under 6:52 with an avg hr under 163, sub 3 will be attempted. I think both are unlikely, but I have been thinking about it.

This makes sense to me. How did the heel/achilles feel during the 5:48 mile?
It hasn't hurt after warm up recently and I didn't feel it at all during that mile. There's some pain every morning and first use after I've been sitting for a while. It's tender now. It's not too bad though. I think I'll be fine for some light to medium training this week and the race.

Users who are viewing this thread