What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Raiders reportedly set to fire Kiffin today or tomorrow (1 Viewer)

livetogo4sub4

Footballguy
Everyone saw it coming, I know. Guess the win this week didn't help...

No one wanted the job before so who is going to take it now? Rob Ryan?

It's just so bizarre that the Raider wait through the entire off-season to fire their dis-empowered coach two week into the season.

Raider fan has become a sad, mangy, beat down ol' pit bull for which I no longer feel hate or fear but now merely pity.

Good luck guys.

What about Marvin Lewis?
Now that he is in his final year, Lewis could finally go.The problem was that the Bengals are so stingy they were not going to pay 2 head coaches.He should have gone 2 years ago when he lost control of the team.

It's just so bizarre that the Raider wait through the entire off-season to fire their dis-empowered coach two week into the season.Raider fan has become a sad, mangy, beat down ol' pit bull for which I no longer feel hate or fear but now merely pity.Good luck guys.
They wanted Kiffin to resign so Al wouldnt have to cut Lane a check.Lane did the right things. He exposed the Raiders, maintains his status and looks to an easy hire for another team, and may get released and paid by the Raiders. Had Kiffin become unsufferable then he may have hurt his future - and if he quit he hurt his income. To state what everyone already knew (the crap ### defensive coordinator) was him just discussing the obvious.

It's just so bizarre that the Raider wait through the entire off-season to fire their dis-empowered coach two week into the season.Raider fan has become a sad, mangy, beat down ol' pit bull for which I no longer feel hate or fear but now merely pity.Good luck guys.
Pretty sure it had to do with Al not wanting to "buyout" Kiffins contract. All sent Kiffin a letter of resignation and asked him to sign it. Kiffin refused.

the search for the new head coach should be a reality show. They could calle it "Shallow Al".

Pretty sure it had to do with Al not wanting to "buyout" Kiffins contract. All sent Kiffin a letter of resignation and asked him to sign it. Kiffin refused.
Which, as I said before, is a downright embarrassing reason not to fire a coach with whom you're clearly not getting along.

It's just so bizarre that the Raider wait through the entire off-season to fire their dis-empowered coach two week into the season.

Raider fan has become a sad, mangy, beat down ol' pit bull for which I no longer feel hate or fear but now merely pity.

Good luck guys.
All that just makes it more bizarre.The organization gets in bidding wars with themselves by way overpaying for FAs, but when a coach clearly isn't working out, right or wrong, then they become penny-pinchers and won't fire him so they can save a few bucks regardless if it sends the organization into disarray and ####### the growth of their #1 QB pick for another year?

Just bizarre.

Edit to add: Language filter won't let me type R-E-T-A-R-D-S

(rĭ-tärd') verb

To cause to move or proceed slowly; delay or impede.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for Kiffin holding out and getting his $$. Working for Al Davis is a step back, not forward in a coaching career, but no doubt there wil be someone else who will take the job.

Good for Kiffin holding out and getting his $$. Working for Al Davis is a step back, not forward in a coaching career, but no doubt there wil be someone else who will take the job.
It was doubly smart, because not only did Kiffin get his money, he controls his own destiny by being able to sign on with whoever he wants right away rather than having to arrange for some sort of a buy-out.

Davis is a danger to his team and himself. Seriously, someone, anyone, should intervene. Dude is clearly demented.

Which, as I said before, is a downright embarrassing reason not to fire a coach with whom you're clearly not getting along.
Agreed, what a mess Oakland is right now. McFadden is fun to watch though.

If you think becoming the Raiders head coach has actually hurt Kiffin's career, you're an idiot. No one knew who Lane Kiffin was before Al hired him. Not even most USC fans.

It was doubly smart, because not only did Kiffin get his money, he controls his own destiny by being able to sign on with whoever he wants right away rather than having to arrange for some sort of a buy-out.
Both the college (based on Kiffin's previous experience) and NFL season's are fully underway. Where would Kiffin go and what kind of position? I'd think it would be pretty hard to land an OC job right now. QB coach?

History diagrees with you.
During past history Al had all of his faculties and was a bastion of football. Recent history, not so much.
Recent history is even MORE kind to former Raider coaches.Look at what the guy said: Working for Al is a step back.

Really? Seems to me like Al is a bit of kingmaker, and every young, unknown coach he hires winds up with a high profile, and a great job.

Both the college (based on Kiffin's previous experience) and NFL season's are fully underway. Where would Kiffin go and what kind of position? I'd think it would be pretty hard to land an OC job right now. QB coach?
I agree that he'd be unlikely to end up on staff during the season, but there are plenty of "consulting" positions he could get. If Kiffin wants to look like anything other than an unbelievably unqualified opportunist, he needs to get back to work ASAP, so this is an important consideration.

If you think becoming the Raiders head coach has actually hurt Kiffin's career, you're an idiot. No one knew who Lane Kiffin was before Al hired him. Not even most USC fans.
And he's played the situation perfectly.

This could be a new record--two posts in two different threads within 5 minutes of each other declaring somebody to be an idiot. Now that's excellent posting.

And he's played the situation perfectly.
:confused:

He doesn't need to do anything this season.

During past history Al had all of his faculties and was a bastion of football. Recent history, not so much.
Recent history is even MORE kind to former Raider coaches.
9 Art Shell†[c] 1989–1994 92 54 38 0 .587 5 2 3 10 Mike White† 1995–1996 32 15 17 0 .469 – – – [18]

11 Joe Bugel 1997 16 4 12 0 .250 – – – [19]

12 Jon Gruden 1998–2001 64 38 26 0 .594 4 2 2 [20]

13 Bill Callahan† 2002–2003 32 15 17 0 .469 3 2 1 [5]

14 Norv Turner 2004–2005 32 9 23 0 .281 – – – [21]

Art Shell†[c] 2006 16 2 14 0 .125 – – – [17]

15 Lane Kiffin† 2007–present 16 4 12

:goodposting:

Al Davis >>>>>> Ford Sr.

Lions fan here. I'll take Al Davis over Ford Sr.

A dead Al Davis would make better decisions then Ford Sr and Millen.

Al Davis >>>>>> Ford Sr.Lions fan here. I'll take Al Davis over Ford Sr. A dead Al Davis would make better decisions then Ford Sr and Millen.
That's like saying you'd prefer to be eaten alive rather than burned alive. Let's just agree that both are miserable options.

lol at anyone who thinks Davis will pay the remainder of Kiffin's contract. He'll find some way to state that Kiffin breached his contract, fire him, not pay him and let Kiffin sue him for any monies. Has Shanahan ever received his money for Al yet?

9 Art Shell†[c] 1989–1994 92 54 38 0 .587 5 2 3 10 Mike White† 1995–1996 32 15 17 0 .469 – – – [18]

:shrug:
while not all these coaches went on to land great jobs, gruden, callahan and turner all walked into big jobs following their raider stint. there's no reason to discuss gruden. turner did take a year as sf o-coordinator but his work with the raiders (lamont jordan) was one of the reasons he fit in sd. and at the time of his raider hiring, he hadn't been a head coach for several years. callahan was able to parlay experience as raiders head coach into the head coaching job with one of the most prestigious football programs in the country. he really failed as the raiders head coach but having held that title was the main reason he got the job. sure, that's not every coach but three of six (three in a row until shell and everyone knew shell wouldn't be a head coach anywhere else after his time with the raiders) suggests it's good experience viewed favorably by other employers

i expect kiffin will land somewhere else soon. he may not get a head coaching gig but he'll get interviewed and probably be on a few teams short lists next offseason... and someone may take a flier on him. i think they should.

I am a loyal fan, always the optimist. I'm also an incredibly nice guy with an undying spirit, and I have no need for your pity.But way to generalize. :shrug:

:goodposting:
I was taking issue with the notion that it was a step back in a coaching career. When, in fact, some very low profile guys have become high-profile guys by becoming Raider coaches, and have used it as a springboard to top jobs.Lane Kiffin will come out of this with a better job that co-offensive coordinator at USC. making his Raider tenure a step up. Jon Gruden. Mike Shanahan. When young coaches go to the Raiders, they tend to move on to bigger and better things. Their record as Raider coaches is about as irrelevant as it gets.

The Bay Area football teams have fallen a long ways. I'm a Niners fan but here's hoping Oakland gets better sooner rather than later.

Good for Kiffin holding out and getting his $. Working for Al Davis is a step back, not forward in a coaching career, but no doubt there wil be someone else who will take the job.

:coffee:
I was taking issue with the notion that it was a step back in a coaching career. When, in fact, some very low profile guys have become high-profile guys by becoming Raider coaches, and have used it as a springboard to top jobs.Lane Kiffin will come out of this with a better job that co-offensive coordinator at USC. making his Raider tenure a step up. Jon Gruden. Mike Shanahan. When young coaches go to the Raiders, they tend to move on to bigger and better things. Their record as Raider coaches is about as irrelevant as it gets.
I would not be surprised if Shanahan hired him if Al fires him.

Life long Raider fan here.

I like Kiffen and want him to run this team his way. The criptkeeper won't let that happen of course and I think he is bound to haunt us for years if he stays in the NFL.

Silver and Black Report

As first reported on SBReport earlier today, the Oakland Raiders will promote defensive coordinator Rob Ryan to head coach after severing ties with Lane Kiffin.

Ryan, 45, becomes the 17th head coach in Silver & Black history, and the sixth head coach since the decade began. The fiery coordinator interviewed for the job in 2007, after the firing of Art Shell, but Oakland went with the young assistant from USC, telling Ryan in the process that he would make a good coach in the league in the near future.
Give up over 40 points, win a head coaching job.edit: I don't know if that's a reliable website or not

I love my RAIDERS as much as any hardcore fan loves there respective teams(i went so far as to have a raiders tat inked on my arm)but its starting to feel like a marriage thats gone bad...at this point i love what the raiders WERE as opposed to what they ARE NOW...which is disfunctional to the point of outrageous...Al Davis is more concerned with what HE wants than he is about whats best for the team and the fans...its a disgrace :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread