What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Philip Rivers Bandwagon (1 Viewer)

bumpman

Footballguy
I admit, I am a Rivers owner and I think the kid will be just fine next year, and great in the next several years.

Bring on the season! :boxing:

Rivers lands lead role in soap opera

Some opposing coaches feel Chargers made right decision

By Kevin Acee

UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

March 15, 2006

The defensive coordinator of a team the Chargers will play next season inquired at the Senior Bowl in January what the Chargers intended to do with Drew Brees and Philip Rivers.

Then, with a slight smile, he offered this: “I hope they keep Brees.”

After a pause, he explained why he thought such a move would be in his team's interest.

“He's a fine quarterback in the system they have, but he doesn't make the players around him better,” the coordinator said. “The other guy, I think he's going to be great.”

Other defensive assistants, all of whom spoke on the condition of anonymity, were less effusive in their praise of Rivers. But while no one disparaged Brees, they were unanimous in their assessment he was fortunate to direct an offense that had Antonio Gates and LaDainian Tomlinson as options.

It turns out, while he isn't saying it, Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith has similar thoughts.

Though Smith denounced the common belief that he prefers Rivers, his offer to Brees said loud and clear he is willing to go forward without him.

And now he will. Brees agreed yesterday to a six-year, $60 million deal with the New Orleans Saints.

Brees said he wanted to be a Charger, but not without a financial commitment from the team that signaled he was the starting quarterback.

“I think it's pretty obvious by the one offer they gave me and their reluctance to move beyond that point,” Brees said last weekend. “Maybe I'd have the opportunity to stay there and win my job back once again. But since I kind of know where everybody stands in the organization and the people who are making the decisions, I don't think so.”

No one can say for certain what type of NFL quarterback Rivers is. He has thrown just 30 passes in two years.

What has much of San Diego fretting is why Smith made a switch at this point.

Even with Brees recovering from shoulder surgery – for labrum and rotator cuff tears, the extent of which were a concern for the Chargers – the fact is he played in a Pro Bowl after the 2004 season, would have played in one last month if he weren't hurt and has been among the top five quarterbacks in the league over the past two seasons.

Rivers has yet to throw a meaningful pass as a professional.

With a team widely considered to be a Super Bowl contender, Smith is at the very least risking a temporary backward slide. Few dispute Rivers' potential, but even fewer think he won't at least endure a period of adjustment.

Unlike with Brees, who has proved he is a capable leader and has the unflagging respect of those he plays with, there is only uncertainty with Rivers.

Even Smith says, “How would anyone know? You can only look at what he did in college. He hasn't played in the NFL.”

But, while so many fans express their dismay and disgust with such a move, Smith is ready to assume the risk.

“I really like Philip Rivers,” he said recently. “The thing I always remind myself of, that I think the difference-maker is, (it's) not just the talent. But once I know someone has talent, and I focus on the character, work ethic, leadership abilities and production – what have they done and what kind of person are they? The two years that Philip has been in our program, I think if he was ever given an opportunity whenever that comes, I believe that he'll be very, very successful. We're not going to know that until he's under way.”

It isn't that Smith doesn't like Brees. It's just that he has something the Saints don't have: Rivers.

While Smith said that if Brees had signed with the Chargers he would expect Brees to be “penciled in as the starter” in 2006, that was a very large “if.”

Sure, the Chargers tried to sign Brees to a long-term contract.

The reality was that Smith tried to sign Brees at terms that suited the Chargers.

The terms offered – a $2 million guarantee plus incentives based on playing time for the first season and an option for another five years – indicate Brees was more an insurance policy than a potential starter.

Brees, who has led the Chargers to back-to-back winning seasons and put up numbers that rank among the best passers in the NFL, considers himself a starter and wanted starter money.

Certainly, this could have turned out better for the Chargers.

Brees could not have gotten hurt in the 2005 season's final game. Eventually, the Chargers could have traded one of their two quarterbacks – make no mistake, one of them eventually had to go – and perhaps everyone would have been happy.

But once Brees got hurt – and the Chargers got indications from medical experts that the injury could prevent him from playing until well into the season – Smith decided to bring the future into focus.

Whether he is correct about Rivers remains to be seen.

But the debate has permeated the locker room.

Brees is roundly considered the offense's leader. Rivers is an unknown.

There has been talk Rivers has struggled in practice. It must be pointed out he was running the scout team against the first-team defense, working not only with less-talented players but running plays the defense knows are coming.

Some players believe Rivers is going to develop into a top quarterback, some saying he can be better than Brees and others mentioning him as already superior to Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Once offseason workouts begin, Rivers will have the support of his teammates. But the fact is, he will have to prove himself to them as well.

And that learning curve, well, it had better progress quickly.

“Philip has got to earn our trust, to show he can work as hard as Drew,” said one player. “You're drafted fourth overall, yeah, he better throw 20 touchdowns and less than 10 picks. He's not going to have the luxury of making mistakes. He's going to be under the microscope.”

Smith knows the perception is the Chargers are a Super Bowl-caliber team and people are asking, “How could you possibly entrust this team to this inexperienced guy?”

He says simply that time will tell.

Said Smith: “Maybe two years down the road somebody might say, 'Boy, this Philip Rivers is a talented guy.' Or they might say the opposite.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kevin Acee: (619) 293-1857; kevin.acee@uniontrib.com

You will be the only on the bandwagon , the kid is simply not talented enough to play in the NFL.
Fine! No seat for you then! :D ______________________

“Philip was the second-string quarterback when he arrived, but after one day (Head Coach) Chuck Amato and we decided to name him the starter because he was going to win the job anyway,” said former NC State and current Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow. “He came in and commanded the respect of his teammates and quickly became a leader. Look at the success the program had because of that.”

Rivers led N.C. State to an 8-4 record during his freshman campaign, including a victory over Minnesota in the MicronPC.com Bowl. While Rivers’ opportunity didn’t come as quickly as it did in college, Chow believes he is poised to experience similar success in his first year as a professional starter.

“There’s no doubt in my mind he’s going to do well,” Chow said. “He’s got all of the intangibles. He’s a great kid and can really throw the football. I hope he wins 15 games next fall, the one exception being when (the Titans) play in San Diego.”

http://www.chargers.com/news/headline_deta...m?news_key=2575

You will be the only on the bandwagon , the kid is simply not talented enough to play in the NFL.
Fine! No seat for you then! :D ______________________

“Philip was the second-string quarterback when he arrived, but after one day (Head Coach) Chuck Amato and we decided to name him the starter because he was going to win the job anyway,” said former NC State and current Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow. “He came in and commanded the respect of his teammates and quickly became a leader. Look at the success the program had because of that.”

Rivers led N.C. State to an 8-4 record during his freshman campaign, including a victory over Minnesota in the MicronPC.com Bowl. While Rivers’ opportunity didn’t come as quickly as it did in college, Chow believes he is poised to experience similar success in his first year as a professional starter.

“There’s no doubt in my mind he’s going to do well,” Chow said. “He’s got all of the intangibles. He’s a great kid and can really throw the football. I hope he wins 15 games next fall, the one exception being when (the Titans) play in San Diego.”

http://www.chargers.com/news/headline_deta...m?news_key=2575
:popcorn:

Put me on the bandwagon. Brees is a good QB, but he is not great. Will Rivers be as good? I think he will be. Perhaps he will need a few games under his belt, but he has much more upside than Brees. In my opinion, I think Brees is overrated and people will see that once he gets to NO. Also, I think his shoulder surgery will limit him more than most people think. He didn't have great zip before, but now it will be even less.

Can't wait for the season to start!!!

:banned:

I think he will be a great NFL quarterback, but he will go through some growing pains as all first year quarterbacks do. I loved watching him play for NC State. I'll always be a Panther fan, but I will pull for the Chargers now too (unless they are playing Carolina) since I really want to see Philip do well.

Ticket Please! I want on board.

I actually have no idea if he can make it but I traded Eric Shelton for Rivers about 2 months ago in a dynasty league. Here is to hoping he works out. I feel he has a great chance. That team is built to run first and has Gates. I see some similarities to the situation Rothlisberger stepped into where he will not have to be the savior just play smart and take care of the football. I think he will do just fine. :yes:

he definately has the potential to be ben roethlisberger with LT in the backfield and gates to bail him out. it worked for brees

Here is some more gas for this wagon . . .

Will history repeat itself?

UNION-TRIBUNE

March 15, 2006

For those who've already written off the 2006 season for the Chargers, well, hold on to your season tickets a little longer. Recent history says the team will be better this year with untested Philip Rivers at quarterback than it was last season with former Pro Bowler Drew Brees, who signed with the New Orleans Saints yesterday after five seasons with San Diego. Since 2000, there have been at least five instances in which a largely untested QB replaced a popular or established starter at the beginning of a season, and in four of those cases the team improved its record from the previous year. On the other occasion, the club matched its previous record. Here are the five examples:

2004 Cincinnati Bengals

The setup: In 2003, Jon Kitna led the Bengals to their first nonlosing season (8-8) in seven years and established career highs for completions (324), passing yards (3,591), touchdown passes (26), completion percentage (62.3) and passer rating (87.4).

The switch: In the offseason, coach Marvin Lewis announced he was handing the starting job to Carson Palmer, the top pick in the 2003 draft. Palmer had no career pass attempts.

The outcome: Palmer threw for 18 TDs while leading Cincinnati to an 8-8 record in his first season as the full-time starter. Last year, he threw for 32 scores, earned a Pro Bowl spot and led the Bengals to their first postseason appearance since 1990.

2003 St. Louis Rams

The setup: Kurt Warner was a living football legend in St. Louis after winning two NFL MVP awards and leading the Rams to one Super Bowl win in two appearances.

The switch: A struggling Warner was replaced as the full-time starter by Marc Bulger in the second game of the season. Bulger had just seven career starts to that point.

The outcome: Bulger threw for 22 TDs and helped the Rams to a 12-4 record, division title and trip to the playoffs – one season after the Rams went 7-9 and failed to reach the postseason. He also earned his first spot in the Pro Bowl, where he was named MVP after throwing four TD passes. Warner was released in the offseason.

2002 Atlanta Falcons

The setup: Chris Chandler was considered a solid journeyman, and in four of his five seasons with the Falcons he threw more touchdown passes than interceptions. In 2001, he helped Atlanta win seven games, its highest total in three years.

The switch: Chandler was released in the offseason to make room for Michael Vick, the top pick of the 2001 draft.

The outcome: Vick showed unusual composure while throwing twice as many TD passes (16) as INTs (8) and helping the Falcons to a 9-6-1 record and playoff win. He also earned a spot in the Pro Bowl.

2001 New England Patriots

The setup: QB Drew Bledsoe was one of the region's more popular athletes, a former No. 1 draft choice with a strong arm and a Super Bowl appearance on his résumé.

The switch: In the second game of the season, Bledsoe sustained a serious sternum injury and was replaced by a second-year pro who had only three career pass attempts. Guy named Tom Brady.

The outcome: Brady played so well in Bledsoe's absence that Bledsoe was left on the sideline even after recovering from his injury. The Patriots, 5-11 in 2000, went on to the first of three Super Bowl championships in four years, all with Brady at the helm.

2000 Minnesota Vikings

The setup: Veterans Jeff George and Randall Cunningham played well enough in 1999 that the Vikings finished 10-6 and won a playoff game.

The switch: In the offseason, Minnesota allowed both players to leave and handed the starting reins to Daunte Culpepper, who had no career pass attempts after being taken in the first round of the 1999 draft.

The outcome: Culpepper started all 16 games, threw for 33 touchdowns and led the Vikings to an 11-5 record, a division title and an appearance in the NFC Championship Game. He also made the first of his two Pro Bowl appearances.

–JIM TROTTER

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/charg...z1s15brees.html

I'm on. He should be rounding into shape nicely when I'm ready to move McNabb out of the starting slot in my main dynasty. Until then, he'll be a nice backup.

Your completely wrong. I'll be on the bandwagon if an owner trades me Rivers since my other 2 starting QBs just got released..... :bag:

Last edited by a moderator:
Have jersey, will travel.
Any chance marty schottenheimer will make sure rivers will fail just to prove General manager AJ Smith wrong???
Marty's fate as the HC of the Chargers is now tied to the success of Rivers. Why in the world would he even consider undermining Rivers? Pride? I don't see it. Marty has been around too long and is too conservative.

I'm on. I'm a Rivers owner in a keeper league and I'm hoping that it pays off.

I just haven't seen anything from him that would convince me he will be near as good as Big Ben, or Eli - or Brees.

I just haven't seen anything from him that would convince me he will be near as good as Big Ben, or Eli - or Brees.
:confused: He played in about half a game when Brees went down. How can you say you've seen enough out of him at this level to convince you one way or another? If you look at college, Rivers was every bit as good as those guys.

Any chance marty schottenheimer will make sure rivers will fail just to prove General manager AJ Smith wrong???
Marty's fate as the HC of the Chargers is now tied to the success of Rivers. Why in the world would he even consider undermining Rivers? Pride? I don't see it. Marty has been around too long and is too conservative.
Marty was the one who wanted him in first place when he coached the Senior Bowl.

The only plus for Rivers over Brees in 2006 is Brees will be playing in a tougher D division - he'll face the Falcons, Bucs and Panthers D twice every year. Plus, I don't think Marty is a great at evaluating talent at QB. He's the guy who stubbornly let Gannon go over Grbac. He also thought Steve Bono can lead the Chiefs to Super Bowl. He's lucky he got LT2.

The only plus for Rivers over Brees in 2006 is Brees will be playing in a tougher D division - he'll face the Falcons, Bucs and Panthers D twice every year. Plus, I don't think Marty is a great at evaluating talent at QB. He's the guy who stubbornly let Gannon go over Grbac. He also thought Steve Bono can lead the Chiefs to Super Bowl. He's lucky he got LT2.
Only one plus? Um. I think the fact that Rivers isn't recovering from a torn labrum and partially torn rotator cuff this offseason constitutes another advantage.How about the fact that Rivers has been with the Chargers system for two years while Brees is learning a new system?

How about the fact that NO is a city in flux with a unstable stadium situation?

In any event, the earlier poster was simply stating that Marty liked Rivers in response to the concern that Marty's very public preference for Brees and conflict with AJ Smith on the topic would somehow cause Marty to sabotage Rivers. Marty's evaluation of talent regarding Rivers is irrelevant. AJ Smith chose Rivers. If anything, your point is that Marty's preference for Brees over Rivers earlier was the wrong choice. On that point, I agree. :pics:

The only plus for Rivers over Brees in 2006 is Brees will be playing in a tougher D division - he'll face the Falcons, Bucs and Panthers D twice every year.  Plus, I don't think Marty is a great at evaluating talent at QB.  He's the guy who stubbornly let Gannon go over Grbac.  He also thought Steve Bono can lead the Chiefs to Super Bowl.  He's lucky he got LT2.
Only one plus? Um. I think the fact that Rivers isn't recovering from a torn labrum and partially torn rotator cuff this offseason constitutes another advantage.How about the fact that Rivers has been with the Chargers system for two years while Brees is learning a new system?

In any event, the earlier poster was simply stating that Marty liked Rivers in response to the concern that Marty's very public preference for Brees and conflict with AJ Smith on the topic would somehow cause Marty to sabotage Rivers. Marty's evaluation of talent regarding Rivers is irrelevant. AJ Smith chose Rivers. If anything, your point is that Marty's preference for Brees over Rivers earlier was the wrong choice. On that point, I agree. :pics:
In my opinion, when a player cannot beat the other player outright in training camp or whatever, he's not necessarily better.

:confused: He played in about half a game when Brees went down. How can you say you've seen enough out of him at this level to convince you one way or another? If you look at college, Rivers was every bit as good as those guys.
From what I have had the chance to watch, I don't see it. What can I say. Personally, I think his system and receivers plus the college game contributed to his success there and I certainly didnt see anything in his brief time in the pros either.

Now, I havent seen something that tells me he will suck - but I havent seen anythign to suggest he will be great... i personally have doubts from the little I have seen. Just dont see it.

This is a valid question in a round-about way. If Marty is less comfortable with Rivers will he allow Rivers to throw as much freedom as he allowed Brees?I was often surprised that SD offense wasn't more conservative given the legend of "Marty-ball" but if the coaching staff isn't as comfortable with Rivers behind center it does make one pause and wonder if they lean even more heavily on LT. A worst case scenario would be the one Boller has had to endure in BAL when it seemed the offense was run up the middle on 1st-10, run off tackle on 2nd down, pass on third and long. That's a bad situation to put any QB in. In the one half of football Rivers played they didn't seem any more conservative on offense but maybe they realized it was a good opportunity to see what they had and gave him more opportunities to air it out than he'll have this year. Based on the throws I've seen Rivers make I think he has a chance to lend a whole nother dimension to the SD offense if they just protect him long enough for him to show what he can do.

Obviously by Marty I mean both Marty and Cameron when calling plays. Cameron may call the plays but he and Marty have to be on the same page.

Have you seen anything from M.Leinart that leads you to believe he'll be better than Ryan Leaf?

From what I have had the chance to watch, I don't see it. What can I say. Personally, I think his system and receivers plus the college game contributed to his success there and I certainly didnt see anything in his brief time in the pros either.

Now, I havent seen something that tells me he will suck - but I havent seen anythign to suggest he will be great... i personally have doubts from the little I have seen. Just dont see it.
"From what you have had the chance to watch" is essentially 30 minutes of football against a top 5 defense, in the rain, in an emergency, in week 17, in a meaningless game, when Rivers hasn't taken a snap in over 12 months.That sample size is enough to draw a conclusion against someone who was picked fourth overall, and ranks as the greatest QB in the history of ACC football?

Wow.

It's funny that someone mentioned choosing between Culpepper and Rivers. Having picked up Culpepper as a rookie, I remember the same things being said about him and the Vikings that people are saying now about Rivers. The uncertainty about an unproven QB will alway create doubts. It's funny how everybody forgets that the next time the situation comes up.

"Let’s review the Vikings’ first offseason of the new millennium: They have parted ways with Pro Bowl OLs Jeff Christy and Randall McDaniel; made P Mitch Berger their centerpiece re-signing (yes, the "P" stands for "punter"); and all but brushed off QB Jeff George, who led them to an 8-2 regular-season surge at the end of ’99, not to mention a first-round playoff victory.

Those are not the kind of moves you make if you consider yourself a championship contender. Nor was Green’s insistence, before the Marino story broke, that young QB Daunte Culpepper could become Minnesota’s starter in 2000. Culpepper, whose next pro pass will be his first, could start for the Minnesota Golden Gophers, to be sure. But the Minnesota Vikings? C’mon, Denny."

http://archive.profootballweekly.com/conte...aily_030600.asp

"Minnesota Vikings

Their fall began a bit last season, but they still made the playoffs. This season is when I think the real pain begins. Quite simply, I don’t know what Dennis Green has been thinking. As a head coach, I give him high marks, but as the guy making personnel decisions, I find the direction he is taking the team to be baffling. Last year’s two first-round draft picks made no sense, and his preoccupation with wanting to get Daunte Culpepper into the starting lineup sooner than he is ready makes even less sense. The Vikings need to get Jeff George signed. Even if they sign George, I still think they’ll slip quite a bit because of free-agent losses on the offensive line and a loss of depth at the offensive skill positions. If George goes elsewhere, the wheels will completely fall off."

http://archive.profootballweekly.com/conte...aily_032400.asp

“We cannot have Randall Cunningham at his salary,” Head Coach Dennis Green said a couple of weeks ago.

The Vikings asked Cunningham to accept a $1 million base salary in 2000, in line with a veteran backup, and forego $3.25 million of his scheduled income. Cunningham declined.

Green responded, “We would not have asked him to take a pay cut unless we had no other choice. But Randall said no, and we’re not going to ask him again.”

But there’s always George who is coming off the best season of his career. Think again. George is an unrestricted free agent and the Vikings say all they can afford is “backup quarterback money” which translates into the same sum that Cunningham turned down.

Who’s the starting quarterback in the Vikings’ plans? Daunte Culpepper, the Vikings’ first round pick in the ’99 draft, the 11th player selected.

Green says, “Daunte thinks he’s ready to start, and we’re going to give Daunte a chance to go out and see if he is, indeed, the best quarterback we have. When we drafted Daunte – picking him that high – we thought he was gong to be a very talented quarterback, whether that means he starts in the year 2000 or the year 2001. But there’s no way we’re looking at Daunte to play way down the road.”

How’s that for rationalizing by a coach? The salary cap has respected football men doing con jobs on themselves.

http://clarionherald.org/20000302/buddyd.htm

Deja vu!

Not a far-fetched comparison between Culpepper becoming the start and Phillip Rivers becoming the starter.

It is worth mentioning Denny Green's offense had a proven record prior to Culpepper becoming the starting quarterback; Rich Gannon, Sean Salisbury, Jim McMahon, Warren Moon, Brad Johnson, Randall Cunningham and Jeff George. That is 7 different quarterbacks varying from the 'Very old and washed up' category to the 'Very young and inexperienced' category.

I think a far more compelling question would be to ask, "What quarterbacks would not have thrived in the Denny Green offense?" Last I checked, Warner has even regained some of his old pro-bowl form in the Denny Green system.

In my opinion, when a player cannot beat the other player outright in training camp or whatever, he's not necessarily better.
Or, another way to look at it, is that with a couple years learning the system Rivers appears to the Front Office to be so much better than Brees that he chased him out of town ...

I really think this was a great move by the Chargers to let Brees go and hand the offense over to Rivers. He's no Big Ben ( :towelwave: ) but he will be the 2nd best QB out of that draft.

UNION-TRIBUNE

March 15, 2006

For those who've already written off the 2006 season for the Chargers, well, hold on to your season tickets a little longer. Recent history says the team will be better this year with untested Philip Rivers at quarterback than it was last season with former Pro Bowler Drew Brees, who signed with the New Orleans Saints yesterday after five seasons with San Diego. Since 2000, there have been at least five instances in which a largely untested QB replaced a popular or established starter at the beginning of a season, and in four of those cases the team improved its record from the previous year. On the other occasion, the club matched its previous record. Here are the five examples:

2004 Cincinnati Bengals

The setup: In 2003, Jon Kitna led the Bengals to their first nonlosing season (8-8) in seven years and established career highs for completions (324), passing yards (3,591), touchdown passes (26), completion percentage (62.3) and passer rating (87.4).

The switch: In the offseason, coach Marvin Lewis announced he was handing the starting job to Carson Palmer, the top pick in the 2003 draft. Palmer had no career pass attempts.

The outcome: Palmer threw for 18 TDs while leading Cincinnati to an 8-8 record in his first season as the full-time starter. Last year, he threw for 32 scores, earned a Pro Bowl spot and led the Bengals to their first postseason appearance since 1990.

2003 St. Louis Rams

The setup: Kurt Warner was a living football legend in St. Louis after winning two NFL MVP awards and leading the Rams to one Super Bowl win in two appearances.

The switch: A struggling Warner was replaced as the full-time starter by Marc Bulger in the second game of the season. Bulger had just seven career starts to that point.

The outcome: Bulger threw for 22 TDs and helped the Rams to a 12-4 record, division title and trip to the playoffs – one season after the Rams went 7-9 and failed to reach the postseason. He also earned his first spot in the Pro Bowl, where he was named MVP after throwing four TD passes. Warner was released in the offseason.

2002 Atlanta Falcons

The setup: Chris Chandler was considered a solid journeyman, and in four of his five seasons with the Falcons he threw more touchdown passes than interceptions. In 2001, he helped Atlanta win seven games, its highest total in three years.

The switch: Chandler was released in the offseason to make room for Michael Vick, the top pick of the 2001 draft.

The outcome: Vick showed unusual composure while throwing twice as many TD passes (16) as INTs (8) and helping the Falcons to a 9-6-1 record and playoff win. He also earned a spot in the Pro Bowl.

The setup: QB Drew Bledsoe was one of the region's more popular athletes, a former No. 1 draft choice with a strong arm and a Super Bowl appearance on his résumé.

The switch: In the second game of the season, Bledsoe sustained a serious sternum injury and was replaced by a second-year pro who had only three career pass attempts. Guy named Tom Brady.

The outcome: Brady played so well in Bledsoe's absence that Bledsoe was left on the sideline even after recovering from his injury. The Patriots, 5-11 in 2000, went on to the first of three Super Bowl championships in four years, all with Brady at the helm.

2000 Minnesota Vikings

The setup: Veterans Jeff George and Randall Cunningham played well enough in 1999 that the Vikings finished 10-6 and won a playoff game.

The switch: In the offseason, Minnesota allowed both players to leave and handed the starting reins to Daunte Culpepper, who had no career pass attempts after being taken in the first round of the 1999 draft.

The outcome: Culpepper started all 16 games, threw for 33 touchdowns and led the Vikings to an 11-5 record, a division title and an appearance in the NFC Championship Game. He also made the first of his two Pro Bowl appearances.

–JIM TROTTER

:rolleyes: holy cow, we're talking about improving on Kitna's numbers ( Palmer) and Chris Chandelier?!?!?! dude, find some better info to support your claims on Phil Rivers..

first, Kitna was replaced by a Heismann Trophy winning QB. Palmer..

Chandler was replaced by the most hyped QB in the NFL draft, the most athletic guy to ever play the position.

Cunningham was as old as dirt and Jeff George was , well, Jeff George ( there's a reason why was on 5 differerent teams in 11 years)...

Both Kurt Warner and Bledsoe sustained serious injuries that led to the them being replaced..Warner's thumb made him ineffective, and frankly,he's never been quite the same..Bledsoe's stats were waning before he was replaced , as evidenced by the 5-11 season that he had orchestrated in 2000...

this isn't a case where we're replacing Dan Marino circa 1984 with Sage Rosenfels , for Pete's sake!

if kitna was so good,why did Cincy take Palmer in the draft?!?

c'mon now! find another set of reasons to love Rivers, these aren't working...

Last edited by a moderator:

UNION-TRIBUNE

March 15, 2006

2004 Cincinnati Bengals

2003 St. Louis Rams

2002 Atlanta Falcons

2000 Minnesota Vikings

–JIM TROTTER

You might want to add Chad Pennington in 2002 to the list:
Code:
| 2002 nyj |  15 |   276   399  69.2  3120   7.8  22   6 |    29    49   2 |

holy cow, we're talking about improving on Kitna's numbers ( Palmer) and Chris Chandelier?!?!?! dude, find some better info to support your claims on Phil Rivers..

first, Kitna was replaced by a Heismann Trophy winning QB. Palmer..

Chandler was replaced by the most hyped QB in the NFL draft, the most athletic guy to ever play the position.

Cunningham was as old as dirt and Jeff George was , well, Jeff George ( there's a reason why was on 5 differerent teams in 11 years)...

Both Kurt Warner and Bledsoe sustained serious injuries that led to the them being replaced..Warner's thumb made him ineffective, and frankly,he's never been quite the same..Bledsoe's stats were waning before he was replaced , as evidenced by the 5-11 season that he had orchestrated in 2000...

this isn't a case where we're replacing Dan Marino circa 1984 with Sage Rosenfels , for Pete's sake!

if kitna was so good,why did Cincy take Palmer in the draft?!?

c'mon now! find another set of reasons to love Rivers, these aren't working...
I would try to respond, but I am not even sure what your point is. You seem to be saying that none of these other situations are comparable because:a) the predecessor was good, but got injured;

b) the later guy was a great college player; or

c) the predecessor's numbers were not that great to begin with.

How does that distinguish those situations from the current one when Brees, coming off a serious injury to his throwing shoulder and an ok season in which SD missed the playoffs, is replaced by the #4 pick in the 2004 draft and the second leading passer in NCAA history? :confused:

2004 - Rivers missed part of training camp, Brees went on to a Pro Bowl season2005 - Brees was franchised - a conservative coach like Marty isn't going to bench his established QB.

In other words, Rivers never had a chance.

"Let’s review the Vikings’ first offseason of the new millennium: They have parted ways with Pro Bowl OLs Jeff Christy and Randall McDaniel; made P Mitch Berger their centerpiece re-signing (yes, the "P" stands for "punter"); and all but brushed off QB Jeff George, who led them to an 8-2 regular-season surge at the end of ’99, not to mention a first-round playoff victory.Those are not the kind of moves you make if you consider yourself a championship contender. Nor was Green’s insistence, before the Marino story broke, that young QB Daunte Culpepper could become Minnesota’s starter in 2000. Culpepper, whose next pro pass will be his first, could start for the Minnesota Golden Gophers, to be sure. But the Minnesota Vikings? C’mon, Denny."
Very similar to the things being said about the Chargers right now - letting the established QB go, starting an unproven QB, and not making many FA moves (McCree).Hope the season turns out the same as the Vikings - well, except for the blowout loss in the Championship game...

Users who are viewing this thread