What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Next NFL City in North America (1 Viewer)

There will be a team in Europe before there's an expansion team in the USA.
maybe but is this something the nfl is still trying to do since nfl europe failed? I guess one could look at the nfl playing games over seas as trying to get enough support to start a team(s) over there but I think you could also just look at it as them going over there to earm some extra cash.

of course there are/were those rumors/speculation that the jags ho to london or has that all died down now?

If I'm doing this right the the wealthist cities without an nfl team are

Riverside, CA
San Deigo, CA
St. Louis, MO

Orlando, FL
San Antonio, TX
Portland, OR
Sacremento, CA
Austin, TX

I'd think they'd put a team there before Mexico City or maybe Toronto but someone said a lot of Canadians go to Bills games so that might tank some of thier fan base?

how involved (if they are at all) is the NFL in a move to a new city? Like if the Saints wanted to move into a bigger market could the nfl be like "well we want you to move to San Antonio and become the San Antonio Saints" or is it just owners discretion?

St Louis had two teams, so they are probably out. I would look at a new market like Sac. Portland, or Salt Lake City.
They also had 2 jackass owners. Seems to me like they supported the team pretty well. It’s bigger than those 3 cities (though the Sacramento media market is a little bigger), so I don’t see why it wouldn’t at least be considered.

Sadly they are in love with Europe and now south America. They won't expand in the US any time soon

Why would you? What on earth does the NFL gain parking a team in an after-thought city in the US vs putting one in a major global city like London, Mexico City or Frankfurt? It has a stranglehold on the USA already. What it doesn't have is the global stage. This has been telegraphed by the NFL for years now.

I'm really not sure which would happen first between Mexico City and London. There are obvious and not so obvious challenges unique to both.

I remember when the Timberwolves were supposed to play the Spurs there in a regular season game 10 years ago. The game was ultimately cancelled due to smoke from a generator fire that couldn't be adequately suppressed in time. Anecdotal, and certainly doesn't mean U.S. pro sports couldn't work there, but a misfortune that somewhat underlies what would give a multi-billion dollar behemoth like the NFL some pause about establishing a permanent franchise.

I think you see a timeshare first. Jaguars split time between Jax and London and Cards split time between Phoenix and Mexico City. Neither fan base is "established". These are transient cities full of folks from other parts of the US and not full of families that have owned season tickets for generations, passing them down in wills.

St Louis had two teams, so they are probably out. I would look at a new market like Sac. Portland, or Salt Lake City.
They also had 2 jackass owners. Seems to me like they supported the team pretty well. It’s bigger than those 3 cities (though the Sacramento media market is a little bigger), so I don’t see why it wouldn’t at least be considered.

It's a dying city. The NFL isn't moving back to cities in its rearview mirror.

I'd think they'd put a team there before Mexico City or maybe Toronto but someone said a lot of Canadians go to Bills games so that might tank some of thier fan base?

Some good information earlier in the thread on the Canadian markets. I've seen 2015 comments from Bills ownership of 22% of all receipts coming from Ontario and 18-20% of the crowd at Bills games coming in from Ontario, with a comparable portion coming in from Rochester. Worth noting that some portion of the 20-22% coming from Ontario would be coming from communities closer to Buffalo than Toronto.

Regardless, It's clear that someone would have to write a very big check to Bills ownership to get a team into Toronto. Not ideal timing to lose a significant portion of your Toronto honeypot just as new stadium pricing goes live. It also sounds like the CFL would have its hand out based on prior agreements. Not sure how binding those agreements are, but I think a deal could probably get done that would satisfy both parties given the potential value of a franchise, variations of gridiron football, different venues, and portions of the season that wouldn't overlap. However, considering the Rogers Center doesn't exactly have the makings of a prized permanent NFL stadium, a Toronto NFL team gets awfully expensive. Maybe more than it's actually worth given the collateral damage and goodwill. However, if a Toronto NFL team is significantly more lucrative that the alternatives, palms get greased and a deal gets done.

I really think the loss of the Cards and Rams factors in about as much as two failed Washington Senators teams for the MLB when they decided to come back to DC. It's not an afterthought, and you really want to make sure a quality ownership group is going in if you're coming back. If there are specific reasons for the previous departures that would still apply to the next team, then sure. Fan support is not an issue in STL. Overall, they have a pretty excellent track record of coming out to support their teams if ownership isn't in complete disrepair.

I'm really not sure which would happen first between Mexico City and London. There are obvious and not so obvious challenges unique to both.

I remember when the Timberwolves were supposed to play the Spurs there in a regular season game 10 years ago. The game was ultimately cancelled due to smoke from a generator fire that couldn't be adequately suppressed in time. Anecdotal, and certainly doesn't mean U.S. pro sports couldn't work there, but a misfortune that somewhat underlies what would give a multi-billion dollar behemoth like the NFL some pause about establishing a permanent franchise.

I think you see a timeshare first. Jaguars split time between Jax and London and Cards split time between Phoenix and Mexico City. Neither fan base is "established". These are transient cities full of folks from other parts of the US and not full of families that have owned season tickets for generations, passing them down in wills.

It wasn't an even timeshare, but that's pretty much what the Jags did for a number of years. It seemed to get the message through to the taxpayers. I think their $1.4B stadium overhaul is close to a done deal if it isn't already.

Sadly they are in love with Europe and now south America. They won't expand in the US any time soon

Why would you? What on earth does the NFL gain parking a team in an after-thought city in the US vs putting one in a major global city like London, Mexico City or Frankfurt? It has a stranglehold on the USA already. What it doesn't have is the global stage. This has been telegraphed by the NFL for years now.

They are building a global audience. They might actually have more success continuing down their current path for some time, rather than dropping a team off in London with all the problems that come with it, saying "That's your squad, now, London. Enjoy! Drop your season ticket deposit in the slot by Friday." Hope your franchise doesn't suddenly suck for six consecutive seasons, you won't be getting any premier matchups of other teams to entertain you anymore. Hope you have no issues attracting and retaining free agents. Don't forget to build your US team headquarters in addition to your UK team headquarters.

I think London eventually will be the destination. But at least in the case of the Jags, we can say London turned out to be the hammer, not the destination. It might stay that way for a while.

It's a dying city. The NFL isn't moving back to cities in its rearview mirror.

Sure it would. NFL will gladly overlook a little population decline if there's a nice slice of public subsidy for a new stadium. No chance without that.

There are plenty of successful NFL teams that are in markets dealing with declining population rates and other other less than desirable statistics. Like Balitmore and Cleveland, St. Louis isn't a sexy market for the NFL, but large enough to hold its own in a 32-team league. There's an actual hole of NFL fans here that are no more, as evidenced by the number of people turning their attention to the new home team in the UFL.

Hampton Roads could absolutely support a team, but the individual cities would never work together on a stadium and none of them could afford to build one on their own. The model is shameful though....the NFL/franchise billionaires should be footing the majority of the stadium build costs anyway. Folks getting 10+ million a year to play a game? And then the industry claiming it can't afford to build it's own venues? Makes no snes why we let that happen to start with

My favorite course in h.s. was a sports and entertainment marketing class in which we founded a team and basically played fantasy football.

Still very proud of the Norfolk based Virginia Admirals and their championship run led by Fred Taylor and second-year QB Peyton Manning. One of the assignments required us to write to an NFL team requesting various marketing information and promotional material. For whatever reason, I chose the Carolina Panthers. I suppose proximity and its recent expansion status. They sent me a pack of trading cards featuring their mascot, "Kool Kat". An important lesson was learned that day. Writing letters is 20th century bulls**t.

Hampton Roads has the population and is on enough of an island from the NFL footprint that it could carve out a following as Virginia's team, maybe even poaching a few disenfranchised fans further up north that had enough of Snyder and the rebrand. On the downside, the population is somewhat transient with its military presence.
The Tides used to be the Tidewater Tides, but when it came time for a new stadium, the cities bickered. Norfolk eventually went in it alone and now they're the Norfolk Tides with a beautiful stadium on the river. Of course a AAA baseball park, even one of the nicer ones around, is 1/10th the cost of a modern NFL stadium

Hampton Roads could absolutely support a team, but the individual cities would never work together on a stadium and none of them could afford to build one on their own. The model is shameful though....the NFL/franchise billionaires should be footing the majority of the stadium build costs anyway. Folks getting 10+ million a year to play a game? And then the industry claiming it can't afford to build it's own venues? Makes no snes why we let that happen to start with

My favorite course in h.s. was a sports and entertainment marketing class in which we founded a team and basically played fantasy football.

Still very proud of the Norfolk based Virginia Admirals and their championship run led by Fred Taylor and second-year QB Peyton Manning. One of the assignments required us to write to an NFL team requesting various marketing information and promotional material. For whatever reason, I chose the Carolina Panthers. I suppose proximity and its recent expansion status. They sent me a pack of trading cards featuring their mascot, "Kool Kat". An important lesson was learned that day. Writing letters is 20th century bulls**t.

Hampton Roads has the population and is on enough of an island from the NFL footprint that it could carve out a following as Virginia's team, maybe even poaching a few disenfranchised fans further up north that had enough of Snyder and the rebrand. On the downside, the population is somewhat transient with its military presence.
The Tides used to be the Tidewater Tides, but when it came time for a new stadium, the cities bickered. Norfolk eventually went in it alone and now they're the Norfolk Tides with a beautiful stadium on the river. Of course a AAA baseball park, even one of the nicer ones around, is 1/10th the cost of a modern NFL stadium

A Virginia branded team based in Richmond might be another way to go.

Setting up shop two hours south of DC would have been a nice way to stick in to Snyder. Probably a bit too close with new ownership. The ABA Virginia Squires coudn't figure out which city to permanently call home either.

Users who are viewing this thread