What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Patriots & Saints to swap 1st round picks? (1 Viewer)

SayWhat?

Footballguy
Local sports talk is saying that Schefter is reporting that the Saints and Patriots are "very close" to agreeing to a deal that would result in swapping 1st round picks. If true, are the Saints assuming that Ellis is available at #7?

Has to be a draft day trade.
That's exactly what I thought. But they did state something to the effect that this could be agreed upon as soon as today. That just doesn't make sense IMO.
That would make little sense unless they have several guys ranked equally. :unsure:Maybe it's a ploy to get the Rams to accept less for the #2. "If you don't lower your demands, we're going to trade with New England."

Last edited by a moderator:
There is some speculation that the Pats would then take ILB Jerod Mayo from Tennessee.
NNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
It sounds like they like Mayo over Rivers and are content to look for a CB later on. I don't think that they are in love with Ellis, so I don't see anyone that jumps out at them at 7. I suggested long ago the Pats would trade with the Saints but would opt for Harvey instead.

That's exactly what I thought. But they did state something to the effect that this could be agreed upon as soon as today. That just doesn't make sense IMO.
That would make little sense unless they have several guys ranked equally. :rant:Maybe it's a ploy to get the Rams to accept less for the #2. "If you don't lower your demands, we're going to trade with New England."
Longshot thought:Perhaps the Rams are willing to move, but won't drop that far. If the Saints can get the Pats to move down for a reasonable price, maybe they can then offer the Rams a move down, and still a reasonable shot at Ellis.Getting a team to agree to a move before the draft, makes me wonder if the Saints wouldn't be looking to jump up again. And maybe not just with the Rams!

That would make little sense unless they have several guys ranked equally. :rant:Maybe it's a ploy to get the Rams to accept less for the #2. "If you don't lower your demands, we're going to trade with New England."
Longshot thought:Perhaps the Rams are willing to move, but won't drop that far. If the Saints can get the Pats to move down for a reasonable price, maybe they can then offer the Rams a move down, and still a reasonable shot at Ellis.Getting a team to agree to a move before the draft, makes me wonder if the Saints wouldn't be looking to jump up again. And maybe not just with the Rams!
That is another idea. Is the difference between Dorsey and Ellis worth Jamaal Brown?

Local sports talk is saying that Schefter is reporting that the Saints and Patriots are "very close" to agreeing to a deal that would result in swapping 1st round picks. If true, are the Saints assuming that Ellis is available at #7?
What would the Pats be due to get for the swap? A 4th rounder? A 3rd?

fwiw, saints don't have a 4th round pick in this draft.

There is some speculation that the Pats would then take ILB Jerod Mayo from Tennessee.
NNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
It sounds like they like Mayo over Rivers and are content to look for a CB later on. I don't think that they are in love with Ellis, so I don't see anyone that jumps out at them at 7. I suggested long ago the Pats would trade with the Saints but would opt for Harvey instead.
Mayo (and his brother) went to my old HS. I'd hate to see him go to the "dark side". :confused:

I would think the Pats would do it for another 3rd. That would give them 3 third round picks and the opportunity to use one or more of them possibly along with there own second to move up in the 2nd round. while I would agree that this would make most sense as a draft day trade but possibly they would make the trade for a little less if they do it early.

As a Pats fan, I'm hoping for a flip flop of 2009 1st rounders,

along with the exchange of 2008 1st rounders.

;)

I have been hearing the same rumor (i.e. they like Mayo)...which means it can't be true. It's never that easy with the Pats.Hopefully this is true. Trading down to 10 lessens the contract, gets them another pick and addresses their LB position. They accomplish three big things in one move.

This makes sense, in that the Saints are moving up to get closer to what St. Louis will accept for the #2. The #7 pick and Jammal Brown would allow St. Louis to get the LT help they need at #7 and get an already developed RT.

From what I've heard from multiple sources (I don't remember the articles, but they have been around), trades need to be essentially agreed upon prior to draft day.
People are saying that because of the new time limits on picks making it much harder to swing a deal in time on draft day. There are no rules against draft day trades.

From what I've heard from multiple sources (I don't remember the articles, but they have been around), trades need to be essentially agreed upon prior to draft day.
People are saying that because of the new time limits on picks making it much harder to swing a deal in time on draft day. There are no rules against draft day trades.
yep, lots of trades work like that. agree to something before hand but wait to pull the trigger until the pick is on the clock and that player is still on the board.

This makes sense, in that the Saints are moving up to get closer to what St. Louis will accept for the #2. The #7 pick and Jammal Brown would allow St. Louis to get the LT help they need at #7 and get an already developed RT.
With what they'll be paying Brown, he'll be playing LT.

If Jenkins is the pick for the Pats in round 1 then it makes perfect sense for them. Perhaps the Pats get one of NOs underachieving WRs in return.

I have been hearing the same rumor (i.e. they like Mayo)...which means it can't be true. It's never that easy with the Pats.
I disagree. When they drafted Ty Warren a few years ago, I started hearing his name connected to the Pats about a day or two before the draft. This is around the time that decisions get made and things start to leak out.

The Saints would be giving up a pro bowl LT, a top ten pick and whatever it takes to swap with the pats. I don't have a real problem involving Brown in some sort of package, but that would be way too much to give up. If Brown is involved we should not give up the #10.I'd much rather just swap with the Pats and hope for Ellis.

I have been hearing the same rumor (i.e. they like Mayo)...which means it can't be true. It's never that easy with the Pats.
I disagree. When they drafted Ty Warren a few years ago, I started hearing his name connected to the Pats about a day or two before the draft. This is around the time that decisions get made and things start to leak out.
And also Vince Wilfork the year after. Was him on want... and an OL? on need if I recall.

I am starting to get that not-so-fresh feeling about this rumor.

no confirmation yet than anyone else heard this from Schefter?

yep, lots of trades work like that. agree to something before hand but wait to pull the trigger until the pick is on the clock and that player is still on the board.
This would seem to make sense, especially now that the first 2 rounds are limited to 10 minutes/pick. Not a lot of time to haggle.

Most things involving the Pats don't get leaked out on their end. If there's a rumor my guess it's coming from the Saints-side. The Patriots treat info like the CIA and most rumors involving them usually end up false (and I hope this one is true by the way). In the Warren draft the rumor involving the Pats was they were dealing up for Robertson which thankfully proved false.

And also Vince Wilfork the year after. Was him on want... and an OL? on need if I recall.
Te Pats never brought Wilfork in for a visit and he was never linked to them because no one thought he would be available at #21.

Sounds like both of these teams are lining up multiple trade partners. NO to move up. NE to move down. The Pats are trying to put themselves in a position to get the best deal they can between probably 2 or 3 teams. Id imagine that theyve also talked to Cinci and Carolina. Moving down to 17 in a deal with KC is a possibility considering how many picks the Chiefs are now sitting on. KC could grab their Dend or lineman with that 5th pick, and Albert at 7 if they see him as that much more valuable than the other Olinemen on the board. And NE could zero in on Antoine Cason, Keith Rivers, possibly Mike Jenkins or even Albert if he ends up falling that far.

In the Warren draft the rumor involving the Pats was they were dealing up for Robertson which thankfully proved false.
The Robertson rumor came out a week or two before the draft. That one was clearly a smokescreen -- they were trying to drive up the price that the Jets paid in trade.The Warren rumors were much closer to the draft. He appeared on two or three mocks in the last two days before the draft, when he was never linked to the Pats before then.

Sounds like both of these teams are lining up multiple trade partners. NO to move up. NE to move down. The Pats are trying to put themselves in a position to get the best deal they can between probably 2 or 3 teams. Id imagine that theyve also talked to Cinci and Carolina. Moving down to 17 in a deal with KC is a possibility considering how many picks the Chiefs are now sitting on. KC could grab their Dend or lineman with that 5th pick, and Albert at 7 if they see him as that much more valuable than the other Olinemen on the board. And NE could zero in on Antoine Cason, Keith Rivers, possibly Mike Jenkins or even Albert if he ends up falling that far.
I've been thinking KC as a trade partner makes a lot of sense for NE, especially if Ryan slides past ATL. KC has shown some interest, and might be looking to jump in ahead of BAL to grab him. If Ryan is on the board at 7, I can see this happening.

I've been thinking KC as a trade partner makes a lot of sense for NE, especially if Ryan slides past ATL. KC has shown some interest, and might be looking to jump in ahead of BAL to grab him. If Ryan is on the board at 7, I can see this happening.
I don't see KC using two top 10 picks.Too much cash.

From what I understand an intern in the Patriot's organization overheard Belichick tell Pat Kirwin he ordered a Turkey sub with mayo for lunch and understood that to be code for Jerod Mayo in the draft.

KC could also very well end up with both Chris Long and Sedric Ellis if theyre looking to upgrade their Dline all at once. I doubt it, but possible. Or as you say, they could end up with either Chris Long or Gholston AND Matty Ryan. And then take advantage of their collection of picks and the draft's depth to upgrade their Oline in the ncxt couple of rounds. Although the word out is that theyre apparently not interested in adding Ryan to their team with so little Oline help around him.

From what I understand an intern in the Patriot's organization overheard Belichick tell Pat Kirwin he ordered a Turkey sub with mayo for lunch and understood that to be code for Jerod Mayo in the draft.
was it a footLONG?? with some CHRISpy chips? and did he make a MOVE for the 7-UP or a an ice-cold Fresca?

KC could also very well end up with both Chris Long and Sedric Ellis if theyre looking to upgrade their Dline all at once. I doubt it, but possible. Or as you say, they could end up with either Chris Long or Gholston AND Matty Ryan. And then take advantage of their collection of picks and the draft's depth to upgrade their Oline in the ncxt couple of rounds. Although the word out is that theyre apparently not interested in adding Ryan to their team with so little Oline help around him.
I would like to see KC grab Ryan and trade down their other pickto stockpile some depth.Brodie Croyle will not take the Chiefs to the promised land.Hopefully Peterson figures this out by the time they are on the clock.

I am starting to get that not-so-fresh feeling about this rumor.no confirmation yet than anyone else heard this from Schefter?
FWIW this was brought up on a Pats board earlier today; some guy claimed to hear it on the radio. No one believed him though. I'd say this thread corroborates his story.Makes a lot of sense to me for both sides, and agree while Pats are hush-hush things tend to get leaked this close to the draft are more likely to be true than stuff that comes out weeks before.

I am starting to get that not-so-fresh feeling about this rumor.

no confirmation yet than anyone else heard this from Schefter?
FWIW this was brought up on a Pats board earlier today; some guy claimed to hear it on the radio. No one believed him though. I'd say this thread corroborates his story.
Nah, I'd say whoever started this thread may have read that one.Schefter notes tend to get confirmed within minutes. Especially on this board, where it seems like Shark Pool posters are monitoring every media outlet this side of al-jazeera. This one? No such luck. I am not complaining about the thread being started, but if no one else has come in here and said they heard the same thing, then I think this may have been conjured on another board.

In the Warren draft the rumor involving the Pats was they were dealing up for Robertson which thankfully proved false.
The Robertson rumor came out a week or two before the draft. That one was clearly a smokescreen -- they were trying to drive up the price that the Jets paid in trade.The Warren rumors were much closer to the draft. He appeared on two or three mocks in the last two days before the draft, when he was never linked to the Pats before then.
You maybe correct but I just don't remember that. Since everyone was projecting them to go with a big guy a link to Warren would be realistic. The guys I remember them being linked to right before the draft were Robertson and Jonathan Sullivan who turned out to be a monumental bust. Sullivan was getting a lot of play with the Pats as some media types were comparing him to Seymour due to the Georgia connection.

Users who are viewing this thread