What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis diet fad of the month thread - Potato mania!!1 (1 Viewer)

bigbottom said:
Oats: You're planning to last a month on this?
No way do I do a strict atkins for a month. I'm thinking kickstart with strict ultra low carb for a couple weeks, then just stay low carb after that. But not lunatic strict.
why don't you just make a lifestyle change and improve your diet and not eat certain foods over the long term? It's a lot easier to make consistent changes to your lifestyle instead of these stop/start, quick fix gimmicks.
Partly because I'm curious, partly because what's the harm in a jumpstart?
How many times have you tried to jump start over the past 5 or 6 years?

Mrs. SLB made me a meatball sandwich for dinner. Homemade sauce, homemade meatballs, on garlic cheese bread. Pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had dinner.

Chicken breast and green beans in a spicy Alfredo sauce, with a side of fake mashed potatoes--cauliflower, cream cheese, and butter.

DEEEEE--LISH!

glock said:
southeastjerome said:
I think a Paleo diet is a better lifestyle than Atkins by a good margin. Atkins isn't really sustainable in my experience.
Late to the discussion, but I agree with this. A lot of people want to lose weight, but who wants to go through life not being able to eat carbs? It is a good way to drop a few pounds quickly, but in my experience they come back once you start eating carbs again. I just don't want to go through life not being able to eat pizza or ice cream. The best way to lose weight imo is old fashioned excersice and eat relatively healthy. I still eat crap, just not every night. I get excersize and I'm down from 215 to 195.
Of course the weight comes back on once you resume crappy eating habits. The Atkins Diet has nothing to do with you putting weight back on once you resume eating cheap, empty carbs like processed breads and foods. Do that with any diet and you may as well not...
I eat crap, not in excees, but I do eat pizza and junk food. I just work out, the weight doesn't come on, I've lost weight and feel good. My point is the Atkins diet isn't really sustainable unless you want to never eat carbs again.

Holy crap. Just realized that there are only 9g of carbs in one of these. I figured I had about 5g worth of asparagus, and maybe that much in the cheese I ate today (probably less). So, theoretically, I could have one of these delicious beers. Just one, but still, one....

bigbottom said:
Oats: You're planning to last a month on this?
No way do I do a strict atkins for a month. I'm thinking kickstart with strict ultra low carb for a couple weeks, then just stay low carb after that. But not lunatic strict.
why don't you just make a lifestyle change and improve your diet and not eat certain foods over the long term? It's a lot easier to make consistent changes to your lifestyle instead of these stop/start, quick fix gimmicks.
Partly because I'm curious, partly because what's the harm in a jumpstart?
How many times have you tried to jump start over the past 5 or 6 years?
A few probably. Actually made progress last year with MyFitnessPal. From about January to March I lost about 20-25 lbs. That was mostly just counting calories. Oh and skipping lunch...

I can't think of one drawback to taking in massive amounts of saturated fat over a long period of time.
When I went low-carb back in like '06, I had bloodwork done right before I started and then again 6 months later. Talked to the doc after the first test and he scolded me pretty harshly about my cholesterol levels being so high for a guy my age. And then after 6 months of "massive amounts of saturated fat" I talked to him after the bloodwork came in. "Holy sh## how did you get your cholesterol down so fast?"

I had dropped over 40 lbs and literally every aspect of my bloodwork was significantly improved.

So far today I had a big plate of eggs with some cheese sprinkled in and bacon, two cups of coffee;a cheese stick around lunch; ground chicken and asparagus for dinner and a crapton of water all day. Ill figure out some kind of healthy uber low carb snack for tonight to go with a couple scotches on the rocks.

So far it's been delicious. :shrug:
So you're around 1,000 calories before the scotch? You probably want to up that some, maybe throw in some nuts.

I can't think of one drawback to taking in massive amounts of saturated fat over a long period of time.
When I went low-carb back in like '06, I had bloodwork done right before I started and then again 6 months later. Talked to the doc after the first test and he scolded me pretty harshly about my cholesterol levels being so high for a guy my age. And then after 6 months of "massive amounts of saturated fat" I talked to him after the bloodwork came in. "Holy sh## how did you get your cholesterol down so fast?"

I had dropped over 40 lbs and literally every aspect of my bloodwork was significantly improved.
Shhh. Some people in here think that if you eat a BigMac it's the same thing as taking a cheeseburger intravenously.

So far today I had a big plate of eggs with some cheese sprinkled in and bacon, two cups of coffee;a cheese stick around lunch; ground chicken and asparagus for dinner and a crapton of water all day. Ill figure out some kind of healthy uber low carb snack for tonight to go with a couple scotches on the rocks.

So you're around 1,000 calories before the scotch? You probably want to up that some, maybe throw in some nuts.
Has to be a little more than that. I had extra servings of bacon and extra servings of ground chicken at dinner.

As you can see, I'm not making a science of this. We're ballparking here.

Nuts sound delicious, but I think they're pretty carb heavy. I'm thinking about some beef jerky/cheese stick to go with the scotch.

Same exact experience here.

All my levels went down very significantly. I'll dig up the numbers tomorrow.

[icon] said:
Statcruncher said:
[icon] said:
Statcruncher said:
Cheeseburgers with no bun

Fajitas with bell peppers/onions

Bacon cups

Spinach salad with bell peppers/ham/hard boiled eggs/cheese

Taco salad (no chips/tortillas)

Salmon with broccoli/cauliflower

Tuna with baked potato/sour cream/butter/cheese
Oof why do you hate your heart? :unsure:
You're on the old fat is bad for you bandwagon still?
I question the quality of your protein sources. Lot of ground beef, bacon, and cheese in there.... I'd love to see your dietary cholesterol intake for this week. Have you run the numbers?
Dietary cholesterol doesn't necessarily = blood cholesterol
Nevermind. Covered.
Can't be said enough, there is a lot of ignorance out there and in here

Interesting. How often do you guys get bloodwork done?

Has to be a little more than that. I had extra servings of bacon and extra servings of ground chicken at dinner.

Nuts sound delicious, but I think they're pretty carb heavy. I'm thinking about some beef jerky/cheese stick to go with the scotch.
Peanuts and almonds are perfectly fine for a snack.

Cashews are right out, though.

Not on Atkins phase 1 though (nor is the amount of cheese described or any alcohol).

Interesting. How often do you guys get bloodwork done?
I got it done before I started the keto diet and then every 6 months since.

Since it was so high in foods with lots of cholesterol, I wanted to make sure I wasn't killing myself by losing weight.

I found my reports.

Total Cholesterol in 2011: 201

Total Cholesterol in 2013: 139

Triglycerides in 2011: 144

Triglycerides in 2013: 39

That's as of October of last year

Since it was so high in foods with lots of cholesterol, I wanted to make sure I wasn't killing myself by losing weight.

I found my reports.

If you don't mind, GB... what was your weight at those 2011 numbers and the 2013 numbers? If you're not comfortable with that, a simple LBs lost would do the trick too...

I have no doubt that morbidly obese individuals losing a ton of weight are going to see significant cholesterol/triglyceride improvements that would likely mask any slower-moving damage done by an unhealthy diet.

I found my reports.

If you don't mind, GB... what was your weight at those 2011 numbers and the 2013 numbers? If you're not comfortable with that, a simple LBs lost would do the trick too...
PM sent with my milestone photos(and weights)

325...285...225...185 is the last of em. About 18 months

(PS - I know, I invented the Rude backwards hat look)

I found my reports.

PM sent with my photo(and weights)325...285...225...185 is the last of em. About 18 months
Wow, that's awesome. Congrats.

I found my reports.

Outstanding!

Not on Atkins phase 1 though (nor is the amount of cheese described or any alcohol).
I didn't eat much cheese. And cheese has very little carbs. Maybe I've had a few grams worth, tops?

:lol: at the implication that a diet featuring 1100mg of cholesterol daily will have zero long term adverse health effects.

I do love the FFA :popcorn:
Feel free to keep believing in the myth that eating foods with cholesterol causes heart disease if you want. The information is out there for those who would prefer not to remain ignorant.

:lol: at the implication that a diet featuring 1100mg of cholesterol daily will have zero long term adverse health effects.

Do a little reading, GB. Sounds like you're going with the "common knowledge" approach that is, in this case, completely wrong.
With headlines like “Saturated Fat is Not Your Heart’s Enemy,” and “NOT GUILTY: The Long-Standing Vilification of Saturated Fat Finally Turning to Vindication,”(23,24) some of the media and blog coverage of these studies would have you believe that scientists had given a green light to eating bacon, butter, and cheese. But that’s an oversimplified and erroneous interpretation. Read the study and subsequent studies more closely, and the message is more nuanced: Cutting back on saturated fat can be good for health if people replace saturated fat with good fats, especially, polyunsaturated fats. (16,25) Eating good fats in place of saturated fat lowers the “bad” LDL cholesterol, and it improves the ratio of total cholesterol to “good” HDL cholesterol, lowering the risk of heart disease. Eating good fats in place of saturated fat can also help prevent insulin resistance, a precursor to diabetes. (26)

Cutting back on saturated fat will likely have no benefit, however, if people replace saturated fat with refined carbohydrates—white bread, white rice, mashed potatoes, sugary drinks, and the like. Eating refined carbs in place of saturated fat does lower “bad” LDL cholesterol—but it also lowers the “good” HDL cholesterol and increases triglycerides. The net effect is as bad for the heart as eating too much saturated fat—and perhaps even worse for people who have insulin resistance because they are overweight or inactive. (17,25)

(source: some dummies at harvard)

I found my reports.

:hifive: attaboy!

I didn't eat much cheese. And cheese has very little carbs. Maybe I've had a few grams worth, tops?
You're right, the limit Atkins gives is higher than I thought (4oz)

Feel free to keep believing in the myth that eating foods with cholesterol causes heart disease if you want. The information is out there for those who would prefer not to remain ignorant.
So again... you're on record that 1100mg of cholesterol daily has no impact on health...

For the record I'm well aware that normal cholesterol intake increases over what is was previously considered acceptable won't be bad... and that the connection between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol levels is much looser than originally thought. However, I'm going to need a link that says consuming over 1000mg of cholesterol daily as part of a diet high is saturated fats is going to have no longer term adverse effects. I'll gladly admit I was wrong :popcorn: :thumbup:

I found my reports.

That's fantastic, congrats!

Otis....if you focus your attention to losing weight insteàd of focusing on being an attention whore here you just may lose weight.

So again... you're on record that 1100mg of cholesterol daily has no impact on health...

For the record I'm well aware that normal cholesterol intake increases over what is was previously considered acceptable won't be bad... and that the connection between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol levels is much looser than originally thought. However, I'm going to need a link that says consuming over 1000mg of cholesterol daily as part of a diet high is saturated fats is going to have no longer term adverse effects. I'll gladly admit I was wrong :popcorn: :thumbup:
Link

:thumbup:

Do a little reading, GB. Sounds like you're going with the "common knowledge" approach that is, in this case, completely wrong.
With headlines like “Saturated Fat is Not Your Heart’s Enemy,” and “NOT GUILTY: The Long-Standing Vilification of Saturated Fat Finally Turning to Vindication,”(23,24) some of the media and blog coverage of these studies would have you believe that scientists had given a green light to eating bacon, butter, and cheese. But that’s an oversimplified and erroneous interpretation. Read the study and subsequent studies more closely, and the message is more nuanced: Cutting back on saturated fat can be good for health if people replace saturated fat with good fats, especially, polyunsaturated fats. (16,25) Eating good fats in place of saturated fat lowers the “bad” LDL cholesterol, and it improves the ratio of total cholesterol to “good” HDL cholesterol, lowering the risk of heart disease. Eating good fats in place of saturated fat can also help prevent insulin resistance, a precursor to diabetes. (26)

Cutting back on saturated fat will likely have no benefit, however, if people replace saturated fat with refined carbohydrates—white bread, white rice, mashed potatoes, sugary drinks, and the like. Eating refined carbs in place of saturated fat does lower “bad” LDL cholesterol—but it also lowers the “good” HDL cholesterol and increases triglycerides. The net effect is as bad for the heart as eating too much saturated fat—and perhaps even worse for people who have insulin resistance because they are overweight or inactive. (17,25)

(source: some dummies at harvard)
The passage you quoted says zero about dietary cholesterol, so I don't see how it supports any link between dietary cholesterol and health effects. Can you explain your reason for quoting it?

Link

:thumbup:
So if I time myself running a 40yd dash with a 40lb backpack... then a 40yd dash substituting the backpack for a red baseball hat, it's logical to assume the red hat makes me faster, right?

The passage you quoted says zero about dietary cholesterol, so I don't see how it supports any link between dietary cholesterol and health effects. Can you explain your reasoning?
My comment was never meant to be strictly tied to cholesterol. he posted what I perceived to be a pretty rough meal plan, I never once stated my only concern was with the cholesterol... I ASKED what the consumption level of cholesterol was, but never implied that was the sole issue I had with the meal plan.

His diet loaded with ground beef, steak, cheese, bacon, raised concerns with sat fat, cholesterol, sodium, etc... the implication that my concern was tied exclusively to dietary cholesterol was drawn by several, incorrectly. Please see subsequent posts.

I found my reports.

Holy crap. Some questions, how much different is your life at your current weight than at your heaviest. How's your skin? Did you incorporate weight training during your loss? How tall are you?

Great job! You've likely extended your life by several decades.

You do realize that was what my post was about that you responded to, yes?

Okay... I quoted the wrong post. :lmao: jesus dude...

Now... please provide me a link stating that a diet consisting of 1000+mg cholesterol daily and high in saturated fat has no health consequences. Please. I'm actually looking for someone to change my mind on this. I'd love to be able to eat hamburgers and steak cooked in butter every night without concern for it shortening my life.

Now... please provide me a link stating that a diet consisting of 1000+mg cholesterol daily and high in saturated fat has no health consequences. Please. I'm actually looking for someone to change my mind on this. I'd love to be able to eat hamburgers and steak cooked in butter every night without concern for it shortening my life.
Do it without carbs and you'll be fine. :thumbup:

Do it without carbs and you'll be fine. :thumbup:
link plz? :(

Referring to long term application of said diet, not just when the effects are masked by those of massive weight loss.

You can start here, although scoobygang already explained things up thread: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cholesterol/

I found my reports.

PM sent with my milestone photos(and weights)325...285...225...185 is the last of em. About 18 months

Holy crap. Some questions, how much different is your life at your current weight than at your heaviest. How's your skin? Did you incorporate weight training during your loss? How tall are you?

Great job! You've likely extended your life by several decades.
I get laid more often at my current weight :shrug: I was a wrestler from the age of 6 through 19. I had 7% body fat when I got to college. After making weight for the last 14 years was over, I went nuts. Had a lot of psychological issues thanks to having parents and going to schools that were known for their wrestling programs. For 7 months a year my entire childhood, I ate probably 900 calories a day and worked out for 4-5 hours a day to make weight just so I could wrestle at a lower weight class. My parents paid for me to go to a school that had a good wrestling program just because where we lived had a crappy one. So...I never dealt with those psychological issues when you get to college and can eat whatever you want and I ballooned up like an jerkoff. Add in a divorce to the mix and it's a recipe for dying at the age of 40.

Life now is good. I feel good every morning. I have tons of energy, have no desire to take naps, etc.

My skin? Funny you asked. One of my favorite side effects. My dry cracked feet, completely cleared up. Body acne, gone. Smooth and oily. Has been for years. Honestly, one of the best side effects is my skin clearing up.

I'm 5'10"

I lift weights 3 times a week (circuit training legs and upper body and 50 push-ups and sit ups) and do heavy cardio 3 days a week (jog/walk 5-6 miles) . Sundays, I rest (walk my dog 4 miles)

:lol:

ICON: General comment about diet sucking, asking secondary question about cholesterol
FFA: OMG CHOLESTEROL ISN'T BAD
ICON: Uh.. I was talking about the overall components of a diet loaded with ground beef, cheese, and bacon
FFA: YOU ASKED ABOUT CHOLESTEROL, CHOLESTEROL ISN'T BAD
ICON: It was a 2 part post
FFA: BUT...CHOLESTEROL!

ICON: Yes but I'm asking about the overall components of the diet, including cholesterol as part of the equation
FFA: SEE! YOU SAID CHOLESTEROL!!!

ICON: How about a link addressing the overall diet of ground beef, cheese, and bacon , high is sat fat, cholestoerol, and sodium
FFA: LINK TO CHOLESTEROL

:lol:

GB this place.

Users who are viewing this thread