What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis diet fad of the month thread - Potato mania!!1 (2 Viewers)

It's not the diet's fault, people- It's YOU (me). My wife's experience was similar.
If actual humans consistently are incapable of sticking to the diet, that's a design flaw in my opinion.
Please show me a diet humans are consistently capable of sticking to.
Weight Watchers. Because its not a diet; it's a lifestyle change.I haven't been able to stick with it because I'm weak. But I will. You just gotta be patient. Be content to lose half a pound to a pound every week. That's the only way to keep the weight off.
How did your wife do with her lapband?
It wasn't lap band, it was gastric bypass. And so far so good. She's lost over 100 pounds and continues to lose. Hopefully she'll keep it off- her eating habits are better than mine.I need to lose 30-40, so I'm not in her situation. But it's not easy for me. My main issue is portion size control.

But WW is for me. I tried Atkins, lost 20 pounds in 3 weeks, then I felt sick. Within another month I gained it all back. There is no easy fix here. You gotta eat healthier and less. That's all.
That's terrific news on your wife.

I was curious about his cholesterol levels. Maybe a few more ellipses would have made it clear that they were two different statements. :lol:

I thought it was pretty obvious that my primary challenge by what was written was with the quality of protien. If the fajitas are chicken breasts, then it's a little better... if those fajitas are skirt steak then IMO he's got too much in the way of crappy protein sources.

Cheeseburgers with no bun (Ground Beef / Cheese / Sodium)

Fajitas with bell peppers/onions *Red Meat / sodium)

Bacon cups (Crappy Protein (bacon).. not sure what's in them? / Sodium)

Spinach salad with bell peppers/ham/hard boiled eggs/cheese (Cheese)

Taco salad (no chips/tortillas) (Ground Beef / Cheese / Sodium)

Salmon with broccoli/cauliflower

Tuna with baked potato/sour cream/butter/cheese (Butter / Cheese)

By themselves none of those choices are bad. But that menu as an average weekly diet, is no bueno. IMO. Can agree to disagree.
Looked through my nutrition database at lunch, for the past month or so my cholesterol intake varies from 500mg to 1900mg and averages about 1100mg per day. And yes, the fajitas are skirt steak as I don't like or eat chicken.

You started with the cholesterol thing now you're calling it poor protein, too much sodium, and too much of it? Why do you consider ground beef and bacon a crappy protein? There are many studies show that salt intake is pretty much a non-issue. Why in your opinion is that menu is not good? Not trying to be snotty, I'm just trying to get a feel for your viewpoints.
I personally prefer my protein sources to be a little leaner than a steady diet of ground beef / bacon / cheese but to each his/her own. :thumbup: It was nice to see salmon / tuna in there but of course you'll get the folks who will argue that not all salmon is good either.

Which is why I'll leave the slapfighting to the food nerds at this point. Glll peas :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never dieted in my life. The key is high protein, low carb. Be consistent. Not balls-to-the-wall dieting one week, then pig out the next. Things like tuna, eggs, and chicken breasts are the staples of my nutrition. Typical day is cereal and coffee for breakfast, tuna and protein drink post workout (around 8:00 am), a lean cuisine-type entrée for lunch, chicken breast for dinner, scrambled eggs (6 eggs, 2 yolks) around 9:00. Every once in a while I'll allow cheat meals. Like Wednesday night, my daughter and I are going out for wings. Allowing cheat meals helps you maintain the lifestyle. It's not a chore and you're not denying yourself some tasty meals.

I was curious about his cholesterol levels. Maybe a few more ellipses would have made it clear that they were two different statements. :lol:

I thought it was pretty obvious that my primary challenge by what was written was with the quality of protien. If the fajitas are chicken breasts, then it's a little better... if those fajitas are skirt steak then IMO he's got too much in the way of crappy protein sources.

By themselves none of those choices are bad. But that menu as an average weekly diet, is no bueno. IMO. Can agree to disagree.
Looked through my nutrition database at lunch, for the past month or so my cholesterol intake varies from 500mg to 1900mg and averages about 1100mg per day. And yes, the fajitas are skirt steak as I don't like or eat chicken.

You started with the cholesterol thing now you're calling it poor protein, too much sodium, and too much of it? Why do you consider ground beef and bacon a crappy protein? There are many studies show that salt intake is pretty much a non-issue. Why in your opinion is that menu is not good? Not trying to be snotty, I'm just trying to get a feel for your viewpoints.
I personally prefer my protein sources to be a little leaner than a steady diet of ground beef / bacon / cheese but to each his/her own. :thumbup: It was nice to see salmon / tuna in there but of course you'll get the folks who will argue that not all salmon is good either.

Which is why I'll leave the slapfighting to the food nerds at this point. Glll peas :)
Are you at your ideal weight right now? Before you defriended me on FB, I seem to recall you being a husky guy with size....not FAT....but a bigger dude who probably wouldn't do well on a top bunk made out of balsa wood.

I've never dieted in my life. The key is high protein, low carb. Be consistent. Not balls-to-the-wall dieting one week, then pig out the next. Things like tuna, eggs, and chicken breasts are the staples of my nutrition. Typical day is cereal and coffee for breakfast, tuna and protein drink post workout (around 8:00 am), a lean cuisine-type entrée for lunch, chicken breast for dinner, scrambled eggs (6 eggs, 2 yolks) around 9:00. Every once in a while I'll allow cheat meals. Like Wednesday night, my daughter and I are going out for wings. Allowing cheat meals helps you maintain the lifestyle. It's not a chore and you're not denying yourself some tasty meals.
This sounds easy enough and even enjoyable....

But my biggest concern is that ALL these high protein diets you guys are discussing essentially eliminate fruits and vegetables, or at the very least, encourage you to limit them severely. This flies in the face of EVERYTHING we've EVER been taught about nutrition and what is 'good' for us. I love fruit and veggies, but after reading this thread I feel like I should avoid anything that I can't kill first. Maybe that's the recipe for weight loss, but I find it unfathomable that a diet absent fruits and veggies will lead to long term overall health.

This could become the next 5 Guys vs In and Out thread if we try hard enough.
Atkins invented fad diets in 1948 in a little place outside of Topeka.
BULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In & Out was writing diet manuals back in 1934 outside of Tumecula. In fact, if you order it "Holocaust Style" today, they give you an empty bag that somebody has farted in with a glass of hair.

But my biggest concern is that ALL these high protein diets you guys are discussing essentially eliminate fruits and vegetables, or at the very least, encourage you to limit them severely. This flies in the face of EVERYTHING we've EVER been taught about nutrition and what is 'good' for us. I love fruit and veggies, but after reading this thread I feel like I should avoid anything that I can't kill first. Maybe that's the recipe for weight loss, but I find it unfathomable that a diet absent fruits and veggies will lead to long term overall health.
Which LCD diets say no to fruits and veggies? List them for me.

Okay, how about you read the post above mine and tell me when he's eating fruits and veggies.

Are you at your ideal weight right now? Before you defriended me on FB, I seem to recall you being a husky guy with size....not FAT....but a bigger dude who probably wouldn't do well on a top bunk made out of balsa wood.
Yep that was my pretty much peak weight period... have dropped about 40-45lbs since then via the boring traditional "healthy"diet (cutting portion size, eating less crap) and exercise (took up running, continued with softball/kickball).... and kept the majority of it off (short from a 10lb lazyiness bump over the holidays).

Okay, how about you read the post above mine and tell me when he's eating fruits and veggies.
I'm responding to your post. Specifically "But my biggest concern is that ALL these high protein diets you guys are discussing essentially eliminate fruits and vegetables"

I don't think primal eliminates those at all. Nor does Atkins really. Even under Atkins, you're encouraged to replace starches with green vegetables.

Atkins is maybe a bit insane over fresh fruit, but I think most people who have done it would tell you that an orange or apple a day is fine. Even Atkins would only restrict it during induction, and that's a corrective diet and not meant to be sustained.

What paleo/primal does dispute is whether green leafy vegetables are nutritional superfoods. Nobody thinks kale is bad for you, but as a nutrient delivery device, it's not as good for you as oysters or liver.

Gotcha now, if you prefer lean cuts I can see where that menu looks crappy to you.

That's why I think these "fad" diets like Atkins and such are not for me, personally.

I love fruit and eat berries/apples/etc almost daily. I also eat several servings of various veggies on a daily basis. Continuing to eat those has not harmed my health/success at all.

I'm responding to your post. Specifically "But my biggest concern is that ALL these high protein diets you guys are discussing essentially eliminate fruits and vegetables"
Scoob answered my query, so I'm all good now. Obviously, I'll need to avoid hyperbole in this thread going forward, though I'm still pretty sure the post I quoted was absent any fruits or veggies.

Make it easy on yourselves everyone and go Paleo. Now go get your fat ###es off the Internet and take a lap around Tim's wife!

That's why I think these "fad" diets like Atkins and such are not for me, personally.

I love fruit and eat berries/apples/etc almost daily. I also eat several servings of various veggies on a daily basis. Continuing to eat those has not harmed my health/success at all.
Yeah, I'm just going to go back to the 5:2 and eat an apple for breakfast, a pear for lunch and some sort of small portion animal for dinner. Maybe I'll start sucking c0ck for a snack.

General Malaise said:
[icon] said:
General Malaise said:
JuniorNB said:

Yeah, I'm just going to go back to the 5:2 and eat an apple for breakfast, a pear for lunch and some sort of small portion animal for dinner. Maybe I'll start sucking c0ck for a snack.
PM sent!

General Malaise said:
Thanks to Tanner, Bender, and some other previously fat dudes, gonna give this a shot starting today. I understand Homer is about a week in, and GM may be taking the plunge too. Anyone else in?

Who's coming with me? /JerryMaguire

What is the easiest way to figure out what to eat on this thing/tips for good and easy snacks that work? Anyone have a reference or site they like?

TIA

ETA: Weighed in at 239 on the dot this morning. My goal is 210; I would love to hit or even break 200, but one thing at a time.
I'm going to give the 5:2 diet another go. Atkins sounds like too much work. 5:2 is ridiculously easy (just stay under 600 calories 2 days a week). There's a good thread about this diet in the FFA. I did it last year and lost 15 pounds without much exercise. But once I abandoned it, I gained it right back. Again, beer is my major problem in life. I drink way too much of it. Going to peg my hopes on vodka and weed for a while.

Signed up for a half marathon in May. Hoping that motivates me to exercise/run routinely. Haven't run one since 2011 and to say I 'ran' it is being generous. I was 7 minutes over 2 hours, which is slow. Would like to break the 2 hour mark in May. That's attainable, as is getting down under 200. Small goals, but this fat, lazy guy needs to set them and stay on 'em.

Good luck, Otis.
I'll take the over. By a wide margin.

I swear, people will argue over anything. Oat is trying to lose weight using a very popular diet. Why are folks in here running the thread into the ground discussing the physiological aspects of each different diet method? Any diet that sheds pounds off of his fat-as* will likely help his blood chemistry and overall health.

I'm probably one of the biggest fitness/diet nerds in here, and as long as someone is actively trying something to lose fat, I'll support them. IDGAF how they do it.

General Malaise said:
Thanks to Tanner, Bender, and some other previously fat dudes, gonna give this a shot starting today. I understand Homer is about a week in, and GM may be taking the plunge too. Anyone else in?

What is the easiest way to figure out what to eat on this thing/tips for good and easy snacks that work? Anyone have a reference or site they like?

TIA

ETA: Weighed in at 239 on the dot this morning. My goal is 210; I would love to hit or even break 200, but one thing at a time.
I'm going to give the 5:2 diet another go. Atkins sounds like too much work. 5:2 is ridiculously easy (just stay under 600 calories 2 days a week). There's a good thread about this diet in the FFA. I did it last year and lost 15 pounds without much exercise. But once I abandoned it, I gained it right back. Again, beer is my major problem in life. I drink way too much of it. Going to peg my hopes on vodka and weed for a while.

Signed up for a half marathon in May. Hoping that motivates me to exercise/run routinely. Haven't run one since 2011 and to say I 'ran' it is being generous. I was 7 minutes over 2 hours, which is slow. Would like to break the 2 hour mark in May. That's attainable, as is getting down under 200. Small goals, but this fat, lazy guy needs to set them and stay on 'em.

Good luck, Otis.
Hey, after all these years, still a ####.

Let's make it interesting. $100?

I swear, people will argue over anything. Oat is trying to lose weight using a very popular diet. Why are folks in here running the thread into the ground discussing the physiological aspects of each different diet method? Any diet that sheds pounds off of his fat-as* will likely help his blood chemistry and overall health.

I'm probably one of the biggest fitness/diet nerds in here, and as long as someone is actively trying something to lose fat, I'll support them. IDGAF how they do it.
I would think that people discussing their various dietary habits and the reasoning behind them would be beneficial as no one diet fits every person. Sorry for cluttering this thread up.

I've managed to lose about 25 pounds since August using a combination of exercise, smaller food portions and largely cutting out junk foods. The exercise portion sucked at first but now I really miss it if I miss a couple of days.

The food part was easier because I didn't want to bust my ### working out and throw it away eating chips on a late night binge. My wife and kids don't need to be on a diet and there is no way we are cooking 2 sets of meals. So, my "diet" consists of buying healthier foods and eating less of it.

My progress would be much better if I didn't like booze, especially a good beer...

eta: myfitnesspal is pretty sweet for keeping track of calories. I don't do so well with it on home cooked meals though because its a pain to add in a bunch of ingredients to see what the calories from a recipe are..

eta: myfitnesspal is pretty sweet for keeping track of calories. I don't do so well with it on home cooked meals though because its a pain to add in a bunch of ingredients to see what the calories from a recipe are..
Start using recipes from the 'Net. A lot of the time someone else has done the hard work on myfitnesspal.

General Malaise said:

TIA

Good luck, Otis.
Hey, after all these years, still a ####.

Let's make it interesting. $100?
lolz - gl gb. I'll be rooting for you.

New to the annual Blotis threads?

Let me give you a preview of coming attractions. Otis will obtain great success in the first few days posting scale updates and deriding the diet nerds. Sometime in week 2, the updates will slow or stop completely. Around week 4, Otis will reveal that he fell off the wagon in week 2 and is larger than ever.

At some point, DrJ will start arguing that all diets are stupid.

Enjoy.

Isn't the trick just eat less? I found MYP so easy it was ridiculous. I lost 35 in 4 months, and have maintained this weight for nearly the last year, and I splurge on weekend dinners A LOT. Probably helps that I very rarely drink any calories at all, and run about 10 miles a week.

Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
There's no "eat all the chocolate ice cream and cheetos you want" diet.
Sure there is. That's the diet researchers use to rapidly induce obesity in rats. ;)

One thing we do know about dieting is it probably makes it harder for you to withstand those chocolate ice cream and cheetos binges. Dieting tends to affect your metabolism.
Yes. The physiological mechanisms underlying this phenomenon are explained well in this video. The video is boring in style, but the content is a terrific summary of current research on why diets are so hard to achieve long-term success with.

The Atkins diet works very well in the short term. For one thing, it induces rapid loss of water weight (by using up muscle and liver glycogen), and the rapid weight loss helps motivate people to stick with the diet. Also, by cutting out foods with added sugars, it cuts out most junk foods -- candies, cakes, etc. These foods are huge obstacles for weight loss (though not for the reason Atkins thought -- it's not because of their carb content), and eliminating them is quite helpful. Finally, the Atkins diet is a bit monotonous (because the variety of foods in the diet are limited -- the guy who ate meatballs everyday isn't alone), and the monotony itself can cause spontaneous reduction of caloric consumption.

But in the long term, as with most diets, most people can stick to Atkins only by using willpower, and that's nearly always a recipe for eventual failure. Willpower is exhaustible while hunger is not. In fact, Otis, I suspect that doing Atkins for a month before transitioning to a permanent, healthy diet will generally decrease your chances of sticking to the permanent healthy diet. During the time that you're doing Atkins, you'll drop bodyfat, causing your circulating leptin levels to decrease; and you'll also be exhausting some amount of willpower. The former will cause you to be hungry, and the latter will inhibit your ability to withstand hunger. A few binges and you'll be back to where you started, except more discouraged. Although it will take longer to see results, you might be better off in the long run by skipping the Atkins phase and going straight to whatever permanent healthy eating phase you have planned -- though that would make this thread less interesting.

Isn't the trick just eat less?
Yes, the trick is to just eat less (or exercise more), just like the trick to winning football games is to score more points (or cause your opponents to score fewer points). In both cases, the advice is perfectly accurate -- and perfectly useless.

If there are two teams of equally talented football players, and the first team is told to "just score more points" while the second team is taught how to block and tackle, the second team will kick the first team's butt.

Similarly, if you take two groups of overweight people and tell the first group to "just eat less," while teaching the second group how to get their leptin sensitivity and other hormonal and physiological systems in order so as to prevent an overactive appetite, the second group will have a lot more success than the first. (Unfortunately, we don't really know any surefire ways to master blocking and tackling when it comes to diet -- but we're almost certainly better off looking for marginally better solutions in that area than we are just telling everyone to score more points.)

bigbottom said:
Oats: You're planning to last a month on this?
No way do I do a strict atkins for a month. I'm thinking kickstart with strict ultra low carb for a couple weeks, then just stay low carb after that. But not lunatic strict.

bigbottom said:
No way do I do a strict atkins for a month. I'm thinking kickstart with strict ultra low carb for a couple weeks, then just stay low carb after that. But not lunatic strict.
why don't you just make a lifestyle change and improve your diet and not eat certain foods over the long term? It's a lot easier to make consistent changes to your lifestyle instead of these stop/start, quick fix gimmicks.

General Malaise said:

TIA

Good luck, Otis.
Thanks GB, and same to you.

General Malaise said:
[icon] said:
General Malaise said:
JuniorNB said:

That's why I think these "fad" diets like Atkins and such are not for me, personally. I love fruit and eat berries/apples/etc almost daily. I also eat several servings of various veggies on a daily basis. Continuing to eat those has not harmed my health/success at all.
PM sent!
:lmao:

This thread is going swimmingly. I surely can't claim surprise.

General Malaise said:

TIA

Good luck, Otis.
Thanks GB, and same to you.
I've only had an apple, black coffee and 2 ounces of sliced turkey. I'm about to eat my hand. Maybe another glass of water will satiate me.

Going for a run tonight. No boozes. Going to bed early. This is fun.

HEY KIDS, DON'T GET FAT!

bigbottom said:
why don't you just make a lifestyle change and improve your diet and not eat certain foods over the long term? It's a lot easier to make consistent changes to your lifestyle instead of these stop/start, quick fix gimmicks.
Partly because I'm curious, partly because what's the harm in a jumpstart?

So far today I had a big plate of eggs with some cheese sprinkled in and bacon, two cups of coffee;a cheese stick around lunch; ground chicken and asparagus for dinner and a crapton of water all day. Ill figure out some kind of healthy uber low carb snack for tonight to go with a couple scotches on the rocks.

So far it's been delicious. :shrug:

[icon] said:
Statcruncher said:
[icon] said:
Statcruncher said:
Cheeseburgers with no bun

Fajitas with bell peppers/onions

Bacon cups

Spinach salad with bell peppers/ham/hard boiled eggs/cheese

Taco salad (no chips/tortillas)

Tuna with baked potato/sour cream/butter/cheese
Oof why do you hate your heart? :unsure:
You're on the old fat is bad for you bandwagon still?
I question the quality of your protein sources. Lot of ground beef, bacon, and cheese in there.... I'd love to see your dietary cholesterol intake for this week. Have you run the numbers?
Dietary cholesterol doesn't necessarily = blood cholesterol

[icon] said:
Statcruncher said:
[icon] said:
Statcruncher said:
Cheeseburgers with no bun

Fajitas with bell peppers/onions

Bacon cups

Spinach salad with bell peppers/ham/hard boiled eggs/cheese

Taco salad (no chips/tortillas)

Tuna with baked potato/sour cream/butter/cheese
Oof why do you hate your heart? :unsure:
You're on the old fat is bad for you bandwagon still?
I question the quality of your protein sources. Lot of ground beef, bacon, and cheese in there.... I'd love to see your dietary cholesterol intake for this week. Have you run the numbers?
Dietary cholesterol doesn't necessarily = blood cholesterol
Nevermind. Covered.

So far today I had a big plate of eggs with some cheese sprinkled in and bacon, two cups of coffee;a cheese stick around lunch; ground chicken and asparagus for dinner and a crapton of water all day. Ill figure out some kind of healthy uber low carb snack for tonight to go with a couple scotches on the rocks.

So far it's been delicious. :shrug:
I think I've had eggs and bacon for breakfast once. Pretty good.

GL. I know you don't care but the small sample size of people I know who did the Atkins, who followed it, all lost weight. One guy dropped 50 some lb's really fast, looked like a diff person. That was quite a few years ago.

Fast forward to today. They all are bigger, to much bigger, now than before the diet started.
It seems like people can stay with it for while, but when they fall off, look out hey hey hey he comes the pounds in double time

Users who are viewing this thread