What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis diet fad of the month thread - Potato mania!!1 (2 Viewers)

GL. I know you don't care but the small sample size of people I know who did the Atkins, who followed it, all lost weight. One guy dropped 50 some lb's really fast, looked like a diff person. That was quite a few years ago.

Fast forward to today. They all are bigger, to much bigger, now than before the diet started.
thats what happened to me

GL. I know you don't care but the small sample size of people I know who did the Atkins, who followed it, all lost weight. One guy dropped 50 some lb's really fast, looked like a diff person. That was quite a few years ago.

Fast forward to today. They all are bigger, to much bigger, now than before the diet started.
This is the case with pretty much every Atkins dieter I've met. Actually I can't think of a single one who's been successful long term, but I'm sure there's one freak who stuck to it for life.

I think a Paleo diet is a better lifestyle than Atkins by a good margin. Atkins isn't really sustainable in my experience.
I'm fine with making this a short-ish term thing, if only to get a jump start on weight loss and, more importantly, to kick the cravings. Everyone who does this says that after a couple weeks you really have no desire to eat the processed food or crap anymore, and you feel great. Seems worth a stab. Besides, who doesn't like bacon and eggs?
The problem with Atkins is that you will crave bread something fierce 2-3 weeks into it and, when you fall off the wagon, you fall off it hard as you gain all your weight back eating the carbs you deprived yourself of.
I'll take the under based on history.

thats what happened to me
The guy who lost the most weight was a friend who I was working closely with during his diet. He was fanatical, the type who wouldn't eat an apple. He'd eat the same foods almost every day. His lunch was a big bowl of meatballs everyday for like 4 months. He's also mix in jog and pickup basketball game couple times of week.

That guy all of a sudden hit a spot and weight just came off so it can work. I'm sure the weight loss is an overall positive for the other weird things you are doing to your body.

He is now probably 30 lbs more than when he started but this is about 7 years later.

Jesus

A bowl of meatballs everyday?

Yeah... I could see how one might get bored or not sustain eating that everyday. I have red meat 2 times a week.

Tons of fish and vegetables.

I'd say I do fish 4 times a week.

Arctic Char or Shrimp Salad or Whole Snapper. With a side of steamed bok Choy or a tomato/feta salad, etc etc.

It's not as "unhealthy" as some would make it seem. My cholesterol dipped significantly (and I mean significantly) over the 2 years on the plan.

Jesus

Yeah... I could see how one might get bored or not sustain eating that everyday. I have red meat 2 times a week.

Arctic Char or Shrimp Salad or Whole Snapper. With a side of steamed bok Choy or a tomato/feta salad, etc etc.

It's not as "unhealthy" as some would make it seem. My cholesterol dipped significantly (and I mean significantly) over the 2 years on the plan.
Who would think eating fish and veggies is unhealthy?

Jesus

There are those who take the entirely wrong approach with keto, which is why a lot of others are correctly putting down the dieting method.

Someone mentioned the craving comes from the insulin spikes. I have done Atkins and lost about 30 pounds about 4 years ago. Too much measurement and hard to sustain long term. My dr. advised to consider South Beach as a better alternative to Atkins. I know you are looking for short term results. Consider South Beach diet for long term - no cravings and you don't have to measure/count everything. Cuts almost all the sugar. We have been on it for about two months and it is great. It is similar to Atkins but you can have some complex carbs but limit the "bad" fats, including butter and hydrogenated oils. Beer is also looked down upon. After you get past the "induction" phase the first couple weeks you can have any bread/cereal/pasta which is 100% whole wheat. Can have awine but try to have it with dinner or shortly after, which will delay the alcohol absorption.

Consider canadian bacon instead of bacon.
Mrs. O is a big fan of this, and we'll likely move to something like that shortly.

Bender has the right idea... :thumbup:

I can't tell you how many morons I've seen take this up "DUDE I CAN EAT ALL THE BACON AND CHEESE I WANT! BEST DIET EVER!"

No... no you can't. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jesus

Well, I think the perception is, the diet is all Meatballs, Bacon Cheeseburgers, and 42 ounce steaks. That's really all I meant by that.

I'm not trying to proselytize in here, just providing some honest feedback from my experience after years of doing this.

I started Atkins last Thursday. Down 7 lb as of this morning (4 days). Mostly water weight I'm sure.

I'm not in this long term... just a way to lose before spring break (April 18th). I've done Atkins a few times before and it's been successful short term for quick weight loss. Hopefully I can do this, and then after spring break, go back to my "healthy eating" approach from last year. I've put on ~20 lbs since October of last year... lots of distractions/issues derailed me from eating well and exercising regularly.

I'm also doing the 7 Minute Workout at least 4 times per week

Well, I think the perception is, the diet is all Meatballs, Bacon Cheeseburgers, and 42 ounce steaks. That's really all I meant by that.

I'm not trying to proselytize in here, just providing some honest feedback from my experience after years of doing this.
The meatball/burger/steak introduction to the diet is a lot less painful than other diets, granted. You really need to convert to actual healthy options for long-term success imo.

I can't tell you how many morons I've seen take this up "DUDE I CAN EAT ALL THE BACON AND CHEESE I WANT! BEST DIET EVER!"

I agree with this and that's my plan. I'm not a COMPLETE moron.

FYI... here's my typical menu from yesterday:

Breakfast: Ham, Cheese and Egg Scramble

Lunch: Romaine, Spinach, Kale, Tomato, Cucumber, Red Pepper Salad

Dinner: 2 Baked Chicken Breasts, Steamed Green Beans.

Snacks: Handful of Almonds, Tuna on Celery, Chicken Lunch Meat rolled around a Dill Pickle slice.

Water... 100+ oz per day.

I started Atkins last Thursday. Down 7 lb as of this morning (4 days). Mostly water weight I'm sure.

I'm not in this long term... just a way to lose before spring break (April 18th). I've done Atkins a few times before and it's been successful short term for quick weight loss. Hopefully I can do this, and then after spring break, go back to my "healthy eating" approach from last year. I've put on ~20 lbs since October of last year... lots of distractions/issues derailed me from eating well and exercising regularly.

I'm also doing the 7 Minute Workout at least 4 times per week
:thumbup:

Good luck GB. I'm doing pretty much the exact same - I discovered the 7 min workout from Tanner and love it. Great for a very quick full body workout, and does just enough to the big muscles in your legs to get testosterone going. I'm also going to be working in Total Gym workouts on top of that for a little more upper body work.

And my plan is the same -- just to use Atkins to get past the cravings/withdrawal stage, and then level out with just regular old healthy eating. Even Apples.

I've lost 15 lbs in the past 3 months by simply cutting out cereal at breakfast (ham and eggs instead) and switching from sandwiches at lunch to salads. Maybe I'll have to cut down on carbs a lot more to continue losing weight (I still haven't given up ice cream), but for now, something seems to be working.

Jesus

Well, I think the perception is, the diet is all Meatballs, Bacon Cheeseburgers, and 42 ounce steaks. That's really all I meant by that. I'm not trying to proselytize in here, just providing some honest feedback from my experience after years of doing this.
Your diet just sounds "normal" to me. Anything after 2 years is now just a good lifestyle. I was just throwing out what I had seen with Atkins and really don't know anything else other than anecdotal stuff. I wish luck to anyone dieting, it sucks.

Your lifestyle path is what I know works for sure.

I've lost 15 lbs in the past 3 months by simply cutting out cereal at breakfast (ham and eggs instead) and switching from sandwiches at lunch to salads. Maybe I'll have to cut down on carbs a lot more to continue losing weight (I still haven't given up ice cream), but for now, something seems to be working.
Dreyers does a Carb Smart ice cream. The chocolate is pretty decent. Works for me if I'm in a real pinch and want something sweet.

(4 grams of carbs per serving - you don't count sugar alcohols or fiber against the overall carb count - just the sugar).

This is a once every 6 months thing for me because it does have HFCS

My meals today:

Breakfast:

2 Scoops Whey Protein (PB&Chocolate) flavor in Almond milk from Optimum Nutrition

Special K Sausage & Egg Flatbread Sandwich.

Midmorning Snack:

Apple

Lunch:

Leftover Ground Turkey taco meat on Tumaro's "Low carb" tortilla

Mid Afternoon Stack:

KRoger brand Apple Cinnamon Mini Rice Cakes

Kind brand fruit & nut bar

Dinner:

Two Chicken Breasts "Parmesean-style" (unbreaded w kirkland marinara and part skim mozz / parmesan cheese blend)

Mashed potatoes

Oven broiled asparagus with a balsamic reduction.

Not low carb. Still results in significant weight loss.
While watching my carb intake I was very surprised to discover how many carbs are in tomato sauce.

My meals today:

Breakfast:

2 Scoops Whey Protein (PB&Chocolate) flavor in Almond milk from Optimum Nutrition

Midmorning Snack:

Apple

Lunch:

Mid Afternoon Stack:

Dinner:

Two Chicken Breasts "Parmesean-style" (unbreaded w kirkland marinara and part skim mozz / parmesan cheese blend)

Mashed potatoes

While watching my carb intake I was very surprised to discover how many carbs are in tomato sauce.
Raos Homemade uses no added sugar. 3 grams of countable carbs per half cup. That's my go to if I've run out of the homemade stuff.

My meals today:

Breakfast:

Midmorning Snack:

Apple

Lunch:

Mid Afternoon Stack:

Dinner:

Mashed potatoes

Raos Homemade uses no added sugar. 3 grams of countable carbs per half cup. That's my go to if I've run out of the homemade stuff.
That's not bad. The Mezzetta brand I have is 11

US News and World Report had a panel of health experts ranking all diets, and Atkins came in at #29.

http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/best-overall-diets?page=3

Many of our experts found the popular low-carb Atkins diet leaves much to be desired, at least as an all-purpose diet. Although our expert panel concluded that it could outperform nearly all of its competitors in short-term weight loss, unfavorable marks in other measures—including long-term weight loss, nutrition, safety, and heart health—yanked down Atkins in the standings.

I agree with this and that's my plan. I'm not a COMPLETE moron.
:thumbup: I hear ya GB, you know I'm Just goofin.

My meals today:
Yep... Key is finding a brand that has no added sugar. Kirkland marinara is awesome in this regard...Extremely tasty too, IMO.

Ingredients: tomatoes, water, tomato concentrate, onions, garlic, basil, sea salt, extra virgin olive oil, oregano, citric acid.Another substitute I use is cans of diced tomatoes (which have very few calories and are CHEAP) in a 50/50 mix with a no-sugar added marinara. Get the flavor of the marinara while cutting caloric content back a good bit with the diced tomatoes.

Otis...

If you go to the Atkins web site and enter your info they will send you a free kit that includes free snack/meal replacement bars and more importantly a free carb counter book. The book has most food and drinks in it, and is very handy when counting carbs.

Otis...

If you go to the Atkins web site and enter your info they will send you a free kit that includes free snack/meal replacement bars and more importantly a free carb counter book. The book has most food and drinks in it, and is very handy when counting carbs.
Woah. Sweet. Thanks.

You can eat almost anything (assuming it's portioned) and still lose weight if you exercise. That's why these fad diets are as dumb as the people that do them. Burn more than you take in. It's simple.

Hop on a treadmill fatty.
Its not that simple.
Unless a person has a medical issue that prevents them from losing weight or a physical one that prevents them from exercising, please tell me how it's not that simple.
"When glycogen stores are not available in the cells, fat (triacylglycerol) is cleaved to provide 3 fatty acidchains and 1 glycerol molecule in a process known as lipolysis. Most of the body is able to use fatty acids as an alternative source of energy in a process called beta-oxidation. One of the products of beta-oxidation is acetyl-CoA, which can be further used in the citric acid cycle. During prolonged fasting or starvation, or as the intentional result of a ketogenic diet, acetyl-CoA in the liver is used to produceketone bodies instead, leading to a state of ketosis.

During starvation or a long physical training session, the body starts using fatty acids instead of glucose. The brain cannot use long-chain fatty acids for energy because they are completely albumin-bound and cannot cross the blood–brain barrier. Not all medium-chain fatty acids are bound to albumin. The unbound medium-chain fatty acids are soluble in the blood and can cross the blood–brain barrier. The ketone bodies produced in the liver can also cross the blood–brain barrier. In the brain, these ketone bodies are then incorporated into acetyl-CoA and used in the citric acid cycle."
Sounds like an excuse.
I was going to stay out of this but Ill chime in. Maybe you can figure it out since you seem to be the expert.

I have trouble with my weight. Pretty sure its my mothers genes. I used to be able to lose it quick but I put it on quick as well. I have gained close to 30 pounds since October.

In the past, as recently as 2 years ago, I would be able to eat around 13-1400 calories a day while burning between 3-500 a day (4-5 days a week). I have used Lose it and My Fitness Pal and have succeeded with both. I lost 40 pounds doing this.

However, this time it is not working. I am doing the same exact things as I have done before, yet no weight loss outside of initial 7 pounds almost a month and a half ago. My body has seemed to stall at all attempts to lose the weight despite eating less and exercising. I have not gained any, so that is good. But it is not simple for some of us. Glad it works for you though

You're allowed apples on Atkins, just not during Induction. :shrug:

They are certainly not unhealthy, but fruit is nature's candy bar. So in the initial stages when attempting to get cravings under control, they aren't allowed.

:lmao: @ replace with butter tho
OK Flanders.

One of my cousins went from 295 to 190 in under two years with Atkins and became one of their poster boys. He still works it pretty hard and the weight loss enabled him to get involved in fitness pursuits that he never would have done prior. Because of his work schedule the programs in his nearby gym were mostly oriented towards women, but he dove in. He currently leads one of these classes and is surrounded by MILFs every day. :o

My own experience: I went from 185 to 150 (too low, but sooo easy...) in a few months. Cutting the carbs from bread was the hardest part and the major reason I am back up to 180. And the beer. It's not the diet's fault, people- It's YOU (me). My wife's experience was similar.

The weight loss part is pretty much unrivaled. Once you get where you want to be, it's up to you. Since I did the diet they have adjusted the "maintenance" phase to be more user friendly. I'll be kick starting this again and doing that DDP Yoga program...

Atkins is fine, those that are in the MFP group would probably say I am "On Atkins" or something. My macros are 50%F/35%P/15%C that's roughly the Atkins blueprint for their ending phases. I also do 2-3hrs of cardio a week. I prefer to call my diet Primal, but whatever.

Keep in mind that this is a well studied diet. There are studies about why people fail on it, why people succeed, and comparisons to other diets. All that data is out there. tl;dr

-Why it works - Beverage substitution. Virtually all weight loss users get is from removing calories from drinks.

-Why it fails - Atrophy, can lead to muscle loss and metabolic reductions if not done in line with decent resistance training.

-Why it fails 2 - People are not used to Ketosis. It feels like the flu for 3-4 days and is what forces most people off the diet.

I would still challenge you to post your food log on MFP. I look at, most everyone's data that they post on there and sometimes comment on it to them. I usually track my stuff 6 weeks on and 6 weeks off.

If you do look at the MFP group we have, I would call to your attention Bentley. His diet is 180 degrees different than mine and he is having success.

At the end of the day you can't escape the laws of thermodynamics.

If you do look at the MFP group we have, I would call to your attention Bentley. His diet is 180 degrees different than mine and he is having success.

Finally getting back to posting on MFP. Had taken a 6-7mo hiatus and did great until the holidays. :lol:

Was religious about it before and the combo of using the app + positive/negative social reenforcement seems to work very very well. I've never seen anyone on there who didn't have good success as long as they stuck with it.

Finally getting back to posting on MFP. Had taken a 6-7mo hiatus and did great until the holidays. :lol:

Was religious about it before and the combo of using the app + positive/negative social reenforcement seems to work very very well. I've never seen anyone on there who didn't have good success as long as they stuck with it.
True. As with many approaches, no?

It's not the diet's fault, people- It's YOU (me). My wife's experience was similar.
If actual humans consistently are incapable of sticking to the diet, that's a design flaw in my opinion.
Is there anything you think a person should be responsible for in their diet?
Sure, people should try to eat healthily. I just think the statement "it's not the diet's fault, it's YOUR fault" is dumb if in fact most people that try this diet ultimately do not lose weight (I don't know whether that's necessarily true, but that seems to be the anecdotal evidence folks are posting). A diet needs to be judged by how humans actually interact with it.

" post="16564316" timestamp="1393251654"]
You can eat almost anything (assuming it's portioned) and still lose weight if you exercise. That's why these fad diets are as dumb as the people that do them. Burn more than you take in. It's simple.

Its not that simple.
Unless a person has a medical issue that prevents them from losing weight or a physical one that prevents them from exercising, please tell me how it's not that simple.
"When glycogen stores are not available in the cells, fat (triacylglycerol) is cleaved to provide 3 fatty acidchains and 1 glycerol molecule in a process known as lipolysis. Most of the body is able to use fatty acids as an alternative source of energy in a process called beta-oxidation. One of the products of beta-oxidation is acetyl-CoA, which can be further used in the citric acid cycle. During prolonged fasting or starvation, or as the intentional result of a ketogenic diet, acetyl-CoA in the liver is used to produceketone bodies instead, leading to a state of ketosis.

During starvation or a long physical training session, the body starts using fatty acids instead of glucose. The brain cannot use long-chain fatty acids for energy because they are completely albumin-bound and cannot cross the blood–brain barrier. Not all medium-chain fatty acids are bound to albumin. The unbound medium-chain fatty acids are soluble in the blood and can cross the blood–brain barrier. The ketone bodies produced in the liver can also cross the blood–brain barrier. In the brain, these ketone bodies are then incorporated into acetyl-CoA and used in the citric acid cycle."
Sounds like an excuse.
I was going to stay out of this but Ill chime in. Maybe you can figure it out since you seem to be the expert.I have trouble with my weight. Pretty sure its my mothers genes. I used to be able to lose it quick but I put it on quick as well. I have gained close to 30 pounds since October.

In the past, as recently as 2 years ago, I would be able to eat around 13-1400 calories a day while burning between 3-500 a day (4-5 days a week). I have used Lose it and My Fitness Pal and have succeeded with both. I lost 40 pounds doing this.

However, this time it is not working. I am doing the same exact things as I have done before, yet no weight loss outside of initial 7 pounds almost a month and a half ago. My body has seemed to stall at all attempts to lose the weight despite eating less and exercising. I have not gained any, so that is good. But it is not simple for some of us. Glad it works for you though

1300-1400 calories is probably too few now. The older you get, the easier your metabolism slows down.

Also, if you're not drinking enough water you're making this much harder on yourself. Just FYI. 100-125oz a day is strongly advisable.

Its not that simple.
Icon posted some science stuff above - I don't relly understand all of the chemistry. My take is this:

your body convert different food energies (calories) into physical energy differently, and it will do so based on what is in your system already. Because sugar and carbohydrates burn more efficiently than fat, these are the ones the body will use first. it won't process the fat in your diet or belly unless the carbohydrates are not easily available.

if you want to lose the fat, you have to reduce the carbs and it probably takes a few weeks to get the carbs out of your system.

That's my rudimentary understanding, anyways. It's not about calories in vs calories out; types of calories matter. That's why it's not as simple as calories in vs calories out.

:hifive:

I'm considering adding IF to my program as well. I can easily go from 8pm to noon the next day without eating.

Also, if you're not drinking enough water you're making this much harder on yourself. Just FYI. 100-125oz a day is strongly advisable.
Wow, that's a lot.

Why is it so beneficial?
What should I be drinking and how much?Water suppresses the appetite naturally and helps the body metabolize fat. Studies have shown a decrease in water intake will cause fat deposits to increase, while an increase in water intake can actually reduce fat deposits. Water retention, a notorious issue on Keto, is best combated by drinking more water. This allows the body to release the water it had previously been holding on to in case of dehydration. Water is a huge factor in weight loss and is often underestimated. Your progress will be slow if you don’t hydrate. The actual amount you need will depend on many factors, so try using a hydration calculator.

Wow, that's a lot.Why is it so beneficial?
What should I be drinking and how much?Water suppresses the appetite naturally and helps the body metabolize fat. Studies have shown a decrease in water intake will cause fat deposits to increase, while an increase in water intake can actually reduce fat deposits. Water retention, a notorious issue on Keto, is best combated by drinking more water. This allows the body to release the water it had previously been holding on to in case of dehydration. Water is a huge factor in weight loss and is often underestimated. Your progress will be slow if you dont hydrate. The actual amount you need will depend on many factors, so try using a hydration calculator.
Oh, so that's for Atkins. Not just a regular diet.

Users who are viewing this thread