What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis diet fad of the month thread - Potato mania!!1 (1 Viewer)

Also, if you're not drinking enough water you're making this much harder on yourself. Just FYI. 100-125oz a day is strongly advisable.
Wow, that's a lot.Why is it so beneficial?
What should I be drinking and how much?Water suppresses the appetite naturally and helps the body metabolize fat. Studies have shown a decrease in water intake will cause fat deposits to increase, while an increase in water intake can actually reduce fat deposits. Water retention, a notorious issue on Keto, is best combated by drinking more water. This allows the body to release the water it had previously been holding on to in case of dehydration. Water is a huge factor in weight loss and is often underestimated. Your progress will be slow if you dont hydrate. The actual amount you need will depend on many factors, so try using a hydration calculator.
Oh, so that's for Atkins. Not just a regular diet.
Well... I think H2O is beneficial for any diet in that it suppresses appetite. I would think those other benefits listed would also apply for others :shrug:

It's not the diet's fault, people- It's YOU (me). My wife's experience was similar.
If actual humans consistently are incapable of sticking to the diet, that's a design flaw in my opinion.
Is there anything you think a person should be responsible for in their diet?
Sure, people should try to eat healthily. I just think the statement "it's not the diet's fault, it's YOUR fault" is dumb if in fact most people that try this diet ultimately do not lose weight (I don't know whether that's necessarily true, but that seems to be the anecdotal evidence folks are posting). A diet needs to be judged by how humans actually interact with it.
Most people who try any diet aren't successful in the long term (defined as 5 years down the road). The numbers I've read are that between 5 and 10 percent of people who lose significant weight on any diet are able to keep it off long term.

I mostly think people talk past each other about this stuff. I'm one of the people who struggles to maintain weight loss. Is it a problem with willpower? Of course it is. I know exactly what I need to do. If I were to track my food and exercise every day and pay constant attention to what I ate, I'd be back in shape and you and scorchy could get back to mocking me for wearing tight tee shirts. But I can't do that. Eventually, I feel crappy about something and want a pizza. And then I feel crappy about more things. And eventually I've gained weight and the whole effort of having to treat my diet like a lab rat feels daunting.

But you're also right. In that if a large percentage of people can't exercise self-control, just telling them to exercise self-control isn't a solution. What diets are easiest to stick to strikes me as a very person-specific thing, but in the end we live in a food environment with a ton of access to stuff that isn't favored under ANY diet. There's no "eat all the chocolate ice cream and cheetos you want" diet.

One thing we do know about dieting is it probably makes it harder for you to withstand those chocolate ice cream and cheetos binges. Dieting tends to affect your metabolism.

Also, if you're not drinking enough water you're making this much harder on yourself. Just FYI. 100-125oz a day is strongly advisable.
Wow, that's a lot.Why is it so beneficial?
What should I be drinking and how much?Water suppresses the appetite naturally and helps the body metabolize fat. Studies have shown a decrease in water intake will cause fat deposits to increase, while an increase in water intake can actually reduce fat deposits. Water retention, a notorious issue on Keto, is best combated by drinking more water. This allows the body to release the water it had previously been holding on to in case of dehydration. Water is a huge factor in weight loss and is often underestimated. Your progress will be slow if you dont hydrate. The actual amount you need will depend on many factors, so try using a hydration calculator.
Oh, so that's for Atkins. Not just a regular diet.
I don't do Atkins and when don't get enough water I notice a substantial difference in how I feel as well having as a perceived direct impact on weight loss (not verified with actual numbers).

I keep a 32oz cup at my desk and fill it 3x a day minimum. Plus another 2-3x a day while at home with dinner and whatnot. I just love water though. when I'm at dinner, I'm the guy who needs my water glass filled several times throughout the meal.

Why is distilled liquor ok and wine/beer isn't? No residual sugar?
That's the simple explanation. Alcohol can't be stored for energy. It has to be burned. So while alcohol has more calories/gram than carbohydrates, all it can really do is delay your body from burning other fat for energy, as opposed to actually being stored as fat.

I think a Paleo diet is a better lifestyle than Atkins by a good margin. Atkins isn't really sustainable in my experience.
Late to the discussion, but I agree with this. A lot of people want to lose weight, but who wants to go through life not being able to eat carbs? It is a good way to drop a few pounds quickly, but in my experience they come back once you start eating carbs again. I just don't want to go through life not being able to eat pizza or ice cream. The best way to lose weight imo is old fashioned excersice and eat relatively healthy. I still eat crap, just not every night. I get excersize and I'm down from 215 to 195.

Why is distilled liquor ok and wine/beer isn't? No residual sugar?
That's the simple explanation. Alcohol can't be stored for energy. It has to be burned. So while alcohol has more calories/gram than carbohydrates, all it can really do is delay your body from burning other fat for energy, as opposed to actually being stored as fat.
Booze shuts down your liver to about 25% of it's fat burning capacity while it flushes alcohol. This needs to be taken into account when saying liquor is ok, and most of the keto folks have come around on this point.

A friend of mine is always riding the Atkins Roller Coaster. This guy is 6-2 and in good shape was around 215. Stopped playing ball and working out and settled in around 255-260 for 5-6 years. I don`t see him for a few months and he shows up at a golf outing weighing 210lb, lost 45lbs on the Adkins in 3 months. Looked great, flash forward 6 months and he is 260, then back down to 220 on the Atkins, then back up to 255. This went on for a couple of years.

From what he told me he would put on the weight faster than he lost it when off the Adkins, like a rebound effect. Right now he is around 230 and slowly coming down over the course of a year by cutting calories and walking an hour a night.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a Paleo diet is a better lifestyle than Atkins by a good margin. Atkins isn't really sustainable in my experience.
Late to the discussion, but I agree with this. A lot of people want to lose weight, but who wants to go through life not being able to eat carbs? It is a good way to drop a few pounds quickly, but in my experience they come back once you start eating carbs again. I just don't want to go through life not being able to eat pizza or ice cream. The best way to lose weight imo is old fashioned excersice and eat relatively healthy. I still eat crap, just not every night. I get excersize and I'm down from 215 to 195.
Of course the weight comes back on once you resume crappy eating habits. The Atkins Diet has nothing to do with you putting weight back on once you resume eating cheap, empty carbs like processed breads and foods. Do that with any diet and you may as well not...

I see alot of people are touting the greatness of water in here, but IMO it can be overated. Some of the research I've seen is pretty thin about the hunger curbing effects of water. This study shows drinking water before a meal helped older men eat less calories, but the younger people actually ate more calories.

I think each person's water requirements are dictated by genetics, food intake, and activity level. I used to never drink straight water, then went gallon + per day. To be honest I felt like crap both ways. What's currently working for me is drinking when I'm actually thirsty, which is usually about 60 - 75 oz per day of water/milk.

And much like Culdeus my macros break down to about 65% fat, 25% protein, 10% carbohydrates. I track them for a couple weeks and then ignore them for a couple weeks. My basic philosophy is eat whole foods and avoid grains/sugar.

Spent this weekend making my meals for the week:

Cheeseburgers with no bun

Fajitas with bell peppers/onions

Bacon cups

Spinach salad with bell peppers/ham/hard boiled eggs/cheese

Taco salad (no chips/tortillas)

Salmon with broccoli/cauliflower

Tuna with baked potato/sour cream/butter/cheese

On a final note, IMO the multiple meals per day is vastly overrated. I've tried it, and it didn't work for me. It actually gave me a pavlovian response to the clock. I now only eat when I'm actually hungry. Sometimes that's 3 times a day, sometimes it's only once a day. Things got much better for me when I started paying attention to how my body reacts to stuff instead of trying to force it into a plan that may have worked for someone else.

A friend of mine is always riding the Atkins Roller Coaster. This guy is 6-2 and in good shape was around 215. Stopped playing ball and working out and settled in around 255-260 for 5-6 years. I don`t see him for a few months and he shows up at a golf outing weighing 210lb, lost 45lbs on the Adkins in 3 months. Looked great, flash forward 6 months and he is 260, then back down to 220 on the Atkins, then back up to 255. This went on for a couple of years.

From what he told me he would put on the weight faster than he lost it when off the Adkins, like a rebound effect. Right now he is around 230 and slowly coming down over the course of a year by cutting calories and walking an hour a night.
Pretty standard.

You just can't cheat on this diet. There are no cheat days. Period. There are some foods that might satisfying cravings (lot of sugar free desserts out there) but once you get that first taste of carbs again your body goes nuts with cravings that are just unbearable. F up once on this thing and you wind up eating like crap for the next 4 months even worse than you did before you lost all the weight. It's pretty psychologically difficult when you decide to cheat because you're on vacation.

I spend 75% of my job entertaining folks with fancy dinners and golf outings. I get quite a few looks at a fancy restaurant when all I'm eating is a bunless burger dipped in mustard or a chopped up hot dog out of a dixie cup on the golf course.

In May, I'm headed to Russia, Denmark, Sweden and Estonia for 2 weeks. I know my options are going to be limited and already pretty screwed up in the head figuring out how I'm going to get enough nutrition that doesn't include any breads while over there. It'll be easier than I'm making it out to be I'm sure, but I could already see Fat Bender back by July for beach season.

Bacon cups

Oof why do you hate your heart? :unsure:

Curious whether you'll survive the bad breath phase of Atkins. After about 2 weeks your breath start stankin. Almost no way to stop it. I got off of it after that.

Curious whether you'll survive the bad breath phase of Atkins. After about 2 weeks your breath start stankin. Almost no way to stop it. I got off of it after that.
This is a typical complaint. It's called "Metal Breath" because it smells like rusting metal. It's a function of ketosis. I've had it. I found that Smart Mouth tend to take care of it.

This is a typical complaint. It's called "Metal Breath" because it smells like rusting metal. It's a function of ketosis. I've had it. I found that Smart Mouth tend to take care of it.
Bender says he never farts though, so it sorta evens out I guess.

Bacon cups

You're on the old fat is bad for you bandwagon still?
I question the quality of your protein sources. Lot of ground beef, bacon, and cheese in there.... I'd love to see your dietary cholesterol intake for this week. Have you run the numbers?

Bacon cups

I question the quality of your protein sources. Lot of ground beef, bacon, and cheese in there.... I'd love to see your dietary cholesterol intake for this week. Have you run the numbers?
Dietary cholesterol <> serum cholesterol

Bacon cups

Very poorly worded question.

I'm aware of that... that's why my post is a 2 part statement.
Are you making a statement, or asking a question, or both, or neither? I'm lost here.

Yeah, I don't understand why you'd want to see his dietary cholesterol intake if you actually understand the difference between dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol. I suppose there's still significant push-back against those who believe the lipid hypothesis is unfounded, but I'm not really aware of any serious researcher who thinks dietary cholesterol is significant.

Thanks to Tanner, Bender, and some other previously fat dudes, gonna give this a shot starting today. I understand Homer is about a week in, and GM may be taking the plunge too. Anyone else in?

Who's coming with me? /JerryMaguire

What is the easiest way to figure out what to eat on this thing/tips for good and easy snacks that work? Anyone have a reference or site they like?

TIA

ETA: Weighed in at 239 on the dot this morning. My goal is 210; I would love to hit or even break 200, but one thing at a time.
I'm going to give the 5:2 diet another go. Atkins sounds like too much work. 5:2 is ridiculously easy (just stay under 600 calories 2 days a week). There's a good thread about this diet in the FFA. I did it last year and lost 15 pounds without much exercise. But once I abandoned it, I gained it right back. Again, beer is my major problem in life. I drink way too much of it. Going to peg my hopes on vodka and weed for a while.

Signed up for a half marathon in May. Hoping that motivates me to exercise/run routinely. Haven't run one since 2011 and to say I 'ran' it is being generous. I was 7 minutes over 2 hours, which is slow. Would like to break the 2 hour mark in May. That's attainable, as is getting down under 200. Small goals, but this fat, lazy guy needs to set them and stay on 'em.

Good luck, Otis.

For me it was like bad onion breath all the time, even if you don't eat onions.

I'm aware of that... that's why my post is a 2 part statement.
If you're aware of that, what is the point in asking about it?

It's not the diet's fault, people- It's YOU (me). My wife's experience was similar.
If actual humans consistently are incapable of sticking to the diet, that's a design flaw in my opinion.
Please show me a diet humans are consistently capable of sticking to.
Weight Watchers. Because its not a diet; it's a lifestyle change. I haven't been able to stick with it because I'm weak. But I will. You just gotta be patient. Be content to lose half a pound to a pound every week. That's the only way to keep the weight off.

I was curious about his cholesterol levels. Maybe a few more ellipses would have made it clear that they were two different statements. :lol:

I thought it was pretty obvious that my primary challenge by what was written was with the quality of protien. If the fajitas are chicken breasts, then it's a little better... if those fajitas are skirt steak then IMO he's got too much in the way of crappy protein sources.

Cheeseburgers with no bun (Ground Beef / Cheese / Sodium)

Fajitas with bell peppers/onions *Red Meat / sodium)

Bacon cups (Crappy Protein (bacon).. not sure what's in them? / Sodium)

Spinach salad with bell peppers/ham/hard boiled eggs/cheese (Cheese)

Taco salad (no chips/tortillas) (Ground Beef / Cheese / Sodium)

Tuna with baked potato/sour cream/butter/cheese (Butter / Cheese)

By themselves none of those choices are bad. But that menu as an average weekly diet, is no bueno. IMO. Can agree to disagree.

Weight Watchers. Because its not a diet; it's a lifestyle change.I haven't been able to stick with it because I'm weak. But I will. You just gotta be patient. Be content to lose half a pound to a pound every week. That's the only way to keep the weight off.
Humans are weak. That's why the word consistently in that challenge make me the winner.

What do you all use to track the food/carbs/calories you eat.

Right now I use fitday.com, but was wondering if there is something better?

I was curious about his cholesterol levels. Maybe a few more ellipses would have made it clear that they were two different statements. :lol:

I thought it was pretty obvious that my primary challenge by what was written was with the quality of protien. If the fajitas are chicken breasts, then it's a little better... if those fajitas are skirt steak then IMO he's got too much in the way of crappy protein sources.

By themselves none of those choices are bad. But that menu as an average weekly diet, is no bueno. IMO. Can agree to disagree.
What we're tying to determine is whether you're curious about his serum cholesterol levels or his dietary cholesterol levels.

Many of us would take issue with the idea that chicken breasts are higher quality protein than skirt steak, but that's fine. We get that you're referring to saturated fat and the lipid hypothesis. But even if we grant you that, you asked for dietary cholesterol numbers. And even many defenders of the lipid hypothesis don't believe that dietary cholesterol increases serum cholesterol.

Weight Watchers. Because its not a diet; it's a lifestyle change.I haven't been able to stick with it because I'm weak. But I will. You just gotta be patient. Be content to lose half a pound to a pound every week. That's the only way to keep the weight off.
How did your wife do with her lapband?

What we're tying to determine is whether you're curious about his serum cholesterol levels or his dietary cholesterol levels.

Many of us would take issue with the idea that chicken breasts are higher quality protein than skirt steak, but that's fine. We get that you're referring to saturated fat and the lipid hypothesis. But even if we grant you that, you asked for dietary cholesterol numbers. And even many defenders of the lipid hypothesis don't believe that dietary cholesterol increases serum cholesterol.
I rank protein on this scale

Best

-Egg White

-Whey/Dairy

-Fish

-Non-Grain plant sources

-Grass fed things that don't fly

-Legumes

-Things that fly

-Corn fed things that don't fly

-Cured anything

-Grain sources

-Things that require Sodium Nitrate to extend shelf life

:lol:

Good lord some of you guys need hobbies.

Looked through my nutrition database at lunch, for the past month or so my cholesterol intake varies from 500mg to 1900mg and averages about 1100mg per day. And yes, the fajitas are skirt steak as I don't like or eat chicken.

You started with the cholesterol thing now you're calling it poor protein, too much sodium, and too much of it? Why do you consider ground beef and bacon a crappy protein? There are many studies show that salt intake is pretty much a non-issue. Why in your opinion is that menu is not good? Not trying to be snotty, I'm just trying to get a feel for your viewpoints.

:lol:

Good lord some of you guys need hobbies.
My hobby is arguing with stupid people on the internet, so thanks for contributing.

Boy this thread is fun.
:lmao: :blackdot:

About time to hop back on the Paleo/Primal bandwagon for me. Not fat but would like to lose the belly pudge before summer gets here. I find low carb/paleo the easiest method for me to lose fat, my downfall is booze. Really hard to give up wine, especially when I cook steak/fish for dinner almost every night.

How did your wife do with her lapband?
It wasn't lap band, it was gastric bypass. And so far so good. She's lost over 100 pounds and continues to lose. Hopefully she'll keep it off- her eating habits are better than mine. I need to lose 30-40, so I'm not in her situation. But it's not easy for me. My main issue is portion size control.

But WW is for me. I tried Atkins, lost 20 pounds in 3 weeks, then I felt sick. Within another month I gained it all back. There is no easy fix here. You gotta eat healthier and less. That's all.

Users who are viewing this thread