What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (2 Viewers)

Washington sends picks 40 and 78 to Philadelphia for picks 50, 53, 161.
And Philly gets the stud CB who could have helped us. I sure hope Peters knows what he's doing. Sorry for being negative but I can't really see what he's doing. Getting more picks...but will they be impactful players? I dunno
After getting the QB, I think he's trying to get the BPA regardless of position. This is how you build quality and depth all over the field. We may be shocked at some of his picks to come. I'll trust the process. I wouldn't expect him to come to my job and know more than me, anymore than I expect us to know more than him. If he had failed for a few years, then we ask questions. For now just enjoy that we are getting quality players even if many draft nerds that don't have jobs with actual teams say otherwise.
Oh come on man...us fans have a right to ***** and comment. This is a message board. Keep in mind I've been a fan since before Gibbs 1.0 and have stuck by the team all these years. Part of being a fan is caring about the team and bitching and having an opinion. I will always root for them. I don't really buy the whole "never have an opinion because you are not a GM" argument. 1. Sometimes teams do screw up and fans are right 2. NFL makes $ cuz passionate fans ***** and complain. It's not like I'll ever not root for them. But it's just an opinion just like fan opinion that we ignored offensive line last year and the fans were right!

PS just realized this may sound like I'm coming at u personally...sorry if it comes off that way...not intended. Cool?
You have your opinion. I have mine. Not sure where I said anyone couldn’t. I just think Washington fans are now programmed to hate everything. And it’s sad

We got the Heisman winning quarterback, which is in all likelyhood step up from any quarterback we’ve had in a long time. Fans are programmed to look at him as RG3. It’s a fair comparison, but they are completely different people and situations. Daniels can also read defenses. Rg3 couldn’t.

We got the number one rated defensive lineman. And he was the clear cut number one. Fans are programmed to believe Payne and Allen are great history doesn’t show that. And even if better coaching uses them more effectively, I’m not gonna knock them getting the number one defensive lineman in round two.

We got the number two rated tight end. And he was well ahead of Javtavoin Sanders as far as the rankings go on most boards.

We got the number one nickel cornerback. And since about 60% of plays in the NFL are played in Nickel or dime that seems good.

We got an offensive guard and while not as high as I would’ve liked them to get one. the guy has starter written all over him.

I mean, they didn’t trade with Philly out of number 40 if they liked any of those cornerbacks. So the answer is they didn’t think much of DeJean Cooper or kool aid McKistry. if they did, they would’ve taken them. They are flat out saying to Cooper and Mckistry you are worse than who we traded down for.

They will be right or wrong on many of these pics. But overall, I think it’s a B grade draft. Which is better than the F minuses Bruce Allen and Ron Rivera pumped out for us over the last 10 years.

none of our opinions matter. They are fun to ponder and put on a board which why we are here. But All that matters is the record that comes out of this team over the next 2 to 3 years that’s how Peters and Quinn will be judged.
If they didn't like Cooper, I'm questioning they're ability to judge these players.

They're really not going to like him when he has a pick6 against us every year for the foreseeable future.
It feels like Ron or a good portion of his scouting staff is still on payroll.

These are all things Ron would do: "☑" = all things Ron would do.

They took the Emmanuel Forbes of QBs at 2.

Signed 2 starters from the Panthers.

Drafted a second round DT to add to the collection.

Re-signed Cornelius Lucas to play LT.

Half assed middle round guard project in the mold of Saahdiq Charles and Braeden Daniels to groom as your LT.

Retread QB in Mariotta to start.

Spent more $ on defense than the offense.

Signed Wes Schweitzer I mean Nick Allegretti.

Fixed the center situation and called it a day, totally something Ron would have done he called that the most important need last offseason.

Andrew Wylie remaining at RT.

I swear the negativity is so bad from our fanbase. I guess years of AWFUL drafts have everyone stuck in the past. There are lots of "experts" who loved our draft. Maybe we try being patient and trust the staff we have now? This isn't the Vinny/Ron/Snyder show anymore. I trust our coaching staff, and if you can't see the major improvements we have made in FA and the draft so far, I don't know what to tell you. WAY more reasons to be encouraged than disappointed right now IMO.

Thinking about offensive tackle. Coleman has potential but may need some time to develop at tackle. He could probably slot in at LG more quickly. But, counting on him as starting tackle week 1 may not be prudent.

Which lead me to wonder if free agency may come back to play. I still like the idea of Peters picking up a vet free agent tackle after the draft. With all the OTs taken, there is still the possibility that a serviceable vet is dropped for cap reasons post draft. That's how we got Leno if you recall. Signing a similar level guy to an inexpensive 1-2 year deal would be something to look for IMO.

Anyone else thinking this?
Yeah. The roster after the draft is going to look quite different than the roster at the beginning of the regular season. They're going to still have 9 roster spots to fill after the draft so they'll be competing for UDFA's, and they'll constantly be watching for vets who get cut.

At least 4 of their picks have been described as quick learners (Daniels, Newton, Sainristil, and Sinnott) so there seems to be a theme there.

I swear the negativity is so bad from our fanbase. I guess years of AWFUL drafts have everyone stuck in the past. There are lots of "experts" who loved our draft. Maybe we try being patient and trust the staff we have now? This isn't the Vinny/Ron/Snyder show anymore. I trust our coaching staff, and if you can't see the major improvements we have made in FA and the draft so far, I don't know what to tell you. WAY more reasons to be encouraged than disappointed right now IMO.
I know I'm one of the questioning ones and I'm sorry if that comes off as too harsh. That said I hope you guys know I'm behind this team. Once the picks are made I am on board and cheering them on!

Anyway, "on to Cincinnati," lol

At least 4 of their picks have been described as quick learners (Daniels, Newton, Sainristil, and Sinnott) so there seems to be a theme there.
The more I look into it the more I'm warming up to Sainristil, who sounds like a baller.

I also think Luke McCaffery is gonna add a deadly dimension for us.

My big worry continues to be offensive line, which I will maintain is not simply a matter of "negative fan thinking" but an actual need. But, well see what happens this year...no games have yet been played!

I understand the concern for the o-line, that's my biggest concern as well, but I think we the FA additions we've already made we won't be nearly as bad as last year. And Peters can find talent in the last rounds, maybe we'll pick up another lineman and hopefully free agents too.

The more I look into it the more I'm warming up to Sainristil, who sounds like a baller.

My big worry continues to be offensive line, which I will maintain is not simply a matter of "negative fan thinking" but an actual need. But, well see what happens this year...no games have yet been played!
The interior OL Im ok with, it's specifically the tackles I'm concerned about. We should have drafted 2 tackles by pick 100 instead, with a top 40 pick atleast spent on left tackle. If they didnt like the tackles at pick 36 they should have secure a deal to grab one. To give Peters credit he did allegedly try to trade up. This is a historically loaded tackle draft if now than when? If you cant secure a tackle any better than a tweener G/T in the mold of a Saahdiq Charles/Braeden Daniels type I dont see how this is not a complete disaster. You spend all this draft capital on a QB, then protect him with Cornelius Lucas and Andrew Wylie.

You also got needs at EDGE and just completely whiff on addressing it in the draft after signing some bandaid level guys besides Armstrong. You're other edge is Clelin Ferrell. I just dont understand how you pass on Marshawn Kneeland there it doesnt make a whole of sense.

The interior OL Im ok with, it's specifically the tackles I'm concerned about. We should have drafted 2 tackles by pick 100 instead, with a top 40 pick atleast spent on left tackle. If they didnt like the tackles at pick 36 they should have secure a deal to grab one. To give Peters credit he did allegedly try to trade up. This is a historically loaded tackle draft if now than when? If you cant secure a tackle any better than a tweener G/T in the mold of a Saahdiq Charles/Braeden Daniels type I dont see how this is not a complete disaster. You spend all this draft capital on a QB, then protect him with Cornelius Lucas and Andrew Wylie.

You also got needs at EDGE and just completely whiff on addressing it in the draft after signing some bandaid level guys besides Armstrong. You're other edge is Clelin Ferrell. I just dont understand how you pass on Marshawn Kneeland there it doesnt make a whole of sense.
I hear you. At this point I'm just gonna hope Peters fills in with post draft FA vets. I think we can survive this year at edge as we are stout as hell in the middle and Armstrong is a legit starter. The linebacker core behind them are much better so that helps.

I'm with you on the offensive line. The middle I'm ok with. Hell Coleman may end up being Cosmi 2.0 and be a fine LG. But we need at least one more OT who we would feel comfortable signing. Praying for a Leno type signing over the next few weeks. I think I would feel a lot better if that happened.

Washington sends picks 40 and 78 to Philadelphia for picks 50, 53, 161.
And Philly gets the stud CB who could have helped us. I sure hope Peters knows what he's doing. Sorry for being negative but I can't really see what he's doing. Getting more picks...but will they be impactful players? I dunno
After getting the QB, I think he's trying to get the BPA regardless of position. This is how you build quality and depth all over the field. We may be shocked at some of his picks to come. I'll trust the process. I wouldn't expect him to come to my job and know more than me, anymore than I expect us to know more than him. If he had failed for a few years, then we ask questions. For now just enjoy that we are getting quality players even if many draft nerds that don't have jobs with actual teams say otherwise.
Oh come on man...us fans have a right to ***** and comment. This is a message board. Keep in mind I've been a fan since before Gibbs 1.0 and have stuck by the team all these years. Part of being a fan is caring about the team and bitching and having an opinion. I will always root for them. I don't really buy the whole "never have an opinion because you are not a GM" argument. 1. Sometimes teams do screw up and fans are right 2. NFL makes $ cuz passionate fans ***** and complain. It's not like I'll ever not root for them. But it's just an opinion just like fan opinion that we ignored offensive line last year and the fans were right!

PS just realized this may sound like I'm coming at u personally...sorry if it comes off that way...not intended. Cool?
You have your opinion. I have mine. Not sure where I said anyone couldn’t. I just think Washington fans are now programmed to hate everything. And it’s sad

We got the Heisman winning quarterback, which is in all likelyhood step up from any quarterback we’ve had in a long time. Fans are programmed to look at him as RG3. It’s a fair comparison, but they are completely different people and situations. Daniels can also read defenses. Rg3 couldn’t.

We got the number one rated defensive lineman. And he was the clear cut number one. Fans are programmed to believe Payne and Allen are great history doesn’t show that. And even if better coaching uses them more effectively, I’m not gonna knock them getting the number one defensive lineman in round two.

We got the number two rated tight end. And he was well ahead of Javtavoin Sanders as far as the rankings go on most boards.

We got the number one nickel cornerback. And since about 60% of plays in the NFL are played in Nickel or dime that seems good.

We got an offensive guard and while not as high as I would’ve liked them to get one. the guy has starter written all over him.

I mean, they didn’t trade with Philly out of number 40 if they liked any of those cornerbacks. So the answer is they didn’t think much of DeJean Cooper or kool aid McKistry. if they did, they would’ve taken them. They are flat out saying to Cooper and Mckistry you are worse than who we traded down for.

They will be right or wrong on many of these pics. But overall, I think it’s a B grade draft. Which is better than the F minuses Bruce Allen and Ron Rivera pumped out for us over the last 10 years.

none of our opinions matter. They are fun to ponder and put on a board which why we are here. But All that matters is the record that comes out of this team over the next 2 to 3 years that’s how Peters and Quinn will be judged.
If they didn't like Cooper, I'm questioning they're ability to judge these players.

They're really not going to like him when he has a pick6 against us every year for the foreseeable future.
It feels like Ron or a good portion of his scouting staff is still on payroll.

These are all things Ron would do: "☑" = all things Ron would do.

They took the Emmanuel Forbes of QBs at 2.

Signed 2 starters from the Panthers.

Drafted a second round DT to add to the collection.

Re-signed Cornelius Lucas to play LT.

Half assed middle round guard project in the mold of Saahdiq Charles and Braeden Daniels to groom as your LT.

Retread QB in Mariotta to start.

Spent more $ on defense than the offense.

Signed Wes Schweitzer I mean Nick Allegretti.

Fixed the center situation and called it a day, totally something Ron would have done he called that the most important need last offseason.

Andrew Wylie remaining at RT.

If you know anything about teams run by Josh Harris, they all spend multiple years being bad. He's the Gordon Gekko of sports ownership. Buy a distressed asset, tear it down and then profit.

From an outsider's perspective, I think Washington did well. Peters is flipping this roster and I'd bet that less than 10 guys who were on it pre-draft will be there in 2026.

Great reviews for Washington's draft. Here are some of the grades:

Sports Illustrated A+
CBS Sports A
Associate Press A
Pro Football Focus A
The Ringer A
Sporting News A
New York Post A
Barstool Sports A
Hogs Heaven (always bias) A
ESPN/Kiper A-
NFL.com A-
USA Today A-
Pro Football Network B+
Washington Post B-
Walter Football B-

I even love them signing former Wake/ND QB Sam Hartman. I watched that kid ball on many occasions the last few years.

I like the players they got and think they improved the roster. I'm over the CB move now and think it may be ok. Honestly, still nervous about OT but the offseason is not done yet. But, I too have heard a LOT of positive takes on the draft.

Another thing I read is that most of the guys we selected in the draft were extremely athletic and also team captains for their respective teams. Pundits are saying there is a "type" of player they are adding: aggressive, experienced, with high character/leadership qualities.

I know I have had my questions but nothing to do but let it play out now. It's often said that you can't truly "grade" a draft until 3 years after the draft, so I'll take these grades with a grain of salt. But, I will also take my own misgivings with a grain of salt. Nothing left to do but wait for the on-field results at this point!

Great reviews for Washington's draft. Here are some of the grades:

Sports Illustrated A+
CBS Sports A
Associate Press A
Pro Football Focus A
The Ringer A
Sporting News A
New York Post A
Barstool Sports A
Hogs Heaven (always bias) A
ESPN/Kiper A-
NFL.com A-
USA Today A-
Pro Football Network B+
Washington Post B-
Walter Football B-

I even love them signing former Wake/ND QB Sam Hartman. I watched that kid ball on many occasions the last few years.
Here's a link to go with that list. It fleshes out each sports site's grades: https://www.hogshaven.com/2024/4/28...s-are-high-on-the-washington-commanders-draft

Undrafted free agent signings so far:

Sam Hartman, QB, Notre Dame
Austin Jones, RB, USC
AJ Woods, DB, Pittsburgh
Norell Pollard, DT, Virginia Tech
Tyler Owens, DB, Texas Tech
Chigozie Anusiem, CB, Colorado State
Michael Wiley, RB, Arizona
Bo Bauer, LB, Notre Dame
Ben Nikkel, S, Iowa State
Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint, WR, Georgia
David Nwaogwugwu, OT, Toledo

Ben Standig
@BenStandig
Apr 27

To be clear, Peters didn't take the best-player-available approach at the expense of attacking need areas. Other than QB, literally EVERYTHING was a need area with 2025 in mind. As I've repeated often, that season is the focus. 2024 is about starting to turn the ship around.

JP Finlay
@JPFinlayNBCS
Apr 26

Jon Allen played 75 percent of snaps last year. Daron Payne was at almost 80 percent of snaps. Newton lets Washington lower those totals out immediately. Ridgway played about 30 percent of snaps and nobody else above 20 percent

I like the players they got and think they improved the roster. I'm over the CB move now and think it may be ok. Honestly, still nervous about OT but the offseason is not done yet. But, I too have heard a LOT of positive takes on the draft. Another thing I read is that most of the guys we selected in the draft were extremely athletic and also team captains for their respective teams. Pundits are saying there is a "type" of player they are adding: aggressive, experienced, with high character/leadership qualities.

I know I have had my questions but nothing to do but let it play out now. It's often said that you can't truly "grade" a draft until 3 years after the draft, so I'll take these grades with a grain of salt. But, I will also take my own misgivings with a grain of salt. Nothing left to do but wait for the on-field results at this point!
To me, rolling positive or negative just for the sake it isn't necessarily constructive. I try to get to the bottom of what's true. I'll put it out there & see what sort of response it yields. I felt you made a valid point with the CB pick. They trade back 10 spots, a run on CB occurs & that's what they draft with pick 50. Mike Sainristil is an interesting player, ballhawk with some history at WR if I have it right. But it is a move that has a boom/bust feel to it. Just seems the odds are that at least one of those players ends up having a better career than Sainristil.

Of course if Sainristil proves himself capable & Ben Sinnott a major hit, then the move back will render Adam Peters a genius. The thing that bothers me there is when they later deem Luke McCaffrey as a top 100 talent. You read into both he & Sinnott and it seems like their more similar than complement to one another. FBG Rookie Guide, NFL Draft Tracker & two print publications (Lindy's & Athlon) not one of them had him that high. It has the look of reaching for a guy whose best fit is the same as the player you took at 53. I think this pick was Peters connection to McCaffrey, the player's football IQ & ball skills.

I think the value at RB wasn't much of a consideration, I wouldn't have paid Austin Ekeler. Really high on Kimani Vidal in particular where he came off & landed, where we in fantasy can get him. Which will likely be for free. Other low-center 'backs of interest are Corum & Lloyd. As a complement to Robinson I think Tyrone Tracy would've been interesting.

Well Robinson is a very good RB who never had the carries/balance in the offense he should have last year under EB. I don't know how much Ekeler has in the tank, but I'd say between Robinson, Ekeler, and Rodriguez we are pretty set at RB.

I felt you made a valid point with the CB pick. They trade back 10 spots, a run on CB occurs & that's what they draft with pick 50. Mike Sainristil is an interesting player, ballhawk with some history at WR if I have it right. But it is a move that has a boom/bust feel to it. Just seems the odds are that at least one of those players ends up having a better career than Sainristil.
I get what you're saying and you could be right. On the other hand, if they don't drop back and draft Sainristil then they don't get Sinnott at TE. That's a position of need and what I've read on Sinnott says he's a fine TE to draft and can be used any number of ways on the field. I don't think Ertz will do much this year and that Sinnott will be on the field a lot -- as a TE, slot receiver, in the backfield. And most of what I've read from national media says Sainristil is a PITA for receivers. Local media thinks he's going to be the starting slot corner. So in that case I think they made a good move passing up one very good player for two very good players.

But time will tell.

I've thought about it for days and I think the idea that they trade back into the 1st round to draft an OT was an excellent idea. But according to what I've read they tried to do so, they considered the price too high, and so they drafted Johnny Newton in the early 2nd round. They got a DT with a 1st round grade on him, who some analysts said was the best defensive lineman in the entire draft. Why the hell would they pass up possibly the best defensive lineman in the draft to trade up, lose draft picks and/or position, and draft the 8th or 10th OT because of positional need? That's something the incompetent front office under Dan Snyder would have done.

The new front office is building a new team here. So get the best players. The time limit for building a team isn't "one season".

And I don't think drafting Newton means Allen is gone. They may switch to a 3-4, with Payne, Allen, and Newton on the line. They may play 5 offensive linemen. They may play John Allen at DE (people forget he was a DE when drafted). What they do with the defensive players will depend on what they figure out the players do best. This is best thought of as an expansion team, thrown together (including the coaching staff). We don't know what'll happen or how, we'll just root. And cheer and gripe of course, that's what fans do.

I felt you made a valid point with the CB pick. They trade back 10 spots, a run on CB occurs & that's what they draft with pick 50. Mike Sainristil is an interesting player, ballhawk with some history at WR if I have it right. But it is a move that has a boom/bust feel to it. Just seems the odds are that at least one of those players ends up having a better career than Sainristil.
I get what you're saying and you could be right. On the other hand, if they don't drop back and draft Sainristil then they don't get Sinnott at TE. That's a position of need and what I've read on Sinnott says he's a fine TE to draft and can be used any number of ways on the field. I don't think Ertz will do much this year and that Sinnott will be on the field a lot -- as a TE, slot receiver, in the backfield. And most of what I've read from national media says Sainristil is a PITA for receivers. Local media thinks he's going to be the starting slot corner. So in that case I think they made a good move passing up one very good player for two very good players.

But time will tell.
You can definitely justify 2 for 1 move since TE is such a need. I believe Sinnot will contribute right away. And, the reason I am now ok with Sainristil is that we desparately needed a slot corner...he may be able to start this year. This also allows us to move Martin back to safety. That said, we still need to think hard about need for another outside corner. I was listening to Keim pod and his take is Forbes and BSJ are still question marks. Putting a lot of eggs in the basket that new coaching staff can rehabilitate them. He's equally concerned about OT. Says Lucas can certainly start the season but he's hoping Coleman can develop in season. Again, asking a lot. So those are the two main areas, and we still have post draft Free Agency. So there are lots of positives but some needs still well.

On that note, both Keim and Standig are choosing to look at the draft as building for 2025, not as being ready to compete for playoffs in 2024. I'm willing to buy that. I just don't want Daniels to get injured because that does not "build for 2025."

We simply couldn’t fill all the holes in one offseason. LT and CB are obvious needs and they will be scouring the wire to add to both. And both positions will probably be addressed with premium picks and free agent priority heading into 2025.

I am all for a BPA approach to the draft and think we just have to trust Peters on this one. We added a lot of talent, nothing he did was a head scratcher and we are pretty universally getting praise for how things played out.

We will be much improved next and competitive next year.

"Why the hell would they pass up possibly the best defensive lineman in the draft to trade up, lose draft picks and/or position, and draft the 8th or 10th OT because of positional need?"
Well, we know that they in fact did try to work a deal to get back into the 1st rd. What Peters acknowledged was an attempt to land a "blue-chip LT". Tyler Guyton, the 7th LT taken in round 1 was the last one to come off the board with pick 29. I think a premise worth considering is whether a B+ LT is a better add than an A-grade DT? There is the matter of their young QB, how best to help him. Were they able to, Coleman & Sinnott, I think they're both solid adds. Luke McCaffrey is not the WR I thought they would've added. I've read that Christian encouraged the selection, the pick they used they got from the 'niners. Peters, at the time was on the other end of that deal. I, I just keep seeing the word kool-aid for some reason.

I'm still pretty cheesed.

Day 2 was better than Day 1, IMHO, but not without it's flaws, including what I consider to be an inexcusable and massive one.

Day 3 was meh, and I don't think we're in any position to have a 'meh' day at all. There was a lot of Day 2 talent left on the board at the end of Day 2, that would have helped this Team across multiple positions, and I can't believe they couldn't find a deal that worked that would have netted them a pick or more before 5.04/39th overall on the day.

At least a half-dozen of the 38 Players selected before 5.04 that, IMHO would have been worth giving up what's likely going to be, at most, a mid-round 2025 3rd, to add to this still-woefully bad 2024 Roster, to replace some of the dreck still clogging the projected starting lineup and primary depth.

If anyone gets a chance, hop on the Audacy website, and give a listen to Michael Lombardi's discussion with the Junkies this morning.

When I'm not so annoyed, I'll post the one question I'd pay money to ask Adam Peters directly, that's irritating me the most. I'm sure some of you already know what it is.

I have no problem with most of their choices.

I'm most stoked about Newton. My understanding is he can line up at DE if needed. I could actually see them throwing out some 3-4. Or really the old Seattle hybrid 4-3 where they employ three DTs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_4-3_hybrid_defense. My guess is Newton would be the big end, Payne the NT, and Allen the 3 technique. And with their other 3 FA signings at DL, rotate all these guys. Then let Jamin Davis move closer to the line. I'd expect a very good D, especially if they can teach Forbes or St Juste to cover anyone.

Second favorite pick is Stinnot. No offense to Ertz, but they had nothing at TE.

Least favorite pick is McCaffrey. I would have preferred them get Malik Washington later in the draft for a cheaper price.

Last edited:
We spend 25 years absolutely begging for a real GM, finally land by far the best available candidate that was highly thought of around the league, and have a total breakdown the Monday after his first draft because a few internet chads think they knew better about late round picks. Totally sane stuff.

We spend 25 years absolutely begging for a real GM, finally land by far the best available candidate that was highly thought of around the league, and have a total breakdown the Monday after his first draft because a few internet chads think they knew better about late round picks. Totally sane stuff.

Guess you'd have to say which FBGs are having the breakdown. I gave the draft a B or an A. Can't remember which. I think Peters did excellent work. And everyone knows Peters knows 100x what any of us do. I've got us pegged for an over .500 season. Which I think is awesome coming off the Snyder/Rivera/Allen years of complete ineptitude

Eric Bieniemy. ;)

Bienemy was a jackass that had been rejected by just about every team in the league and was hired to pilot for the final 500 feet of the plane crash descent. It’s not even in the same galaxy of remotely similar situations. Literally everything that happened to this team prior to January 8th, 2024 is pointless to consider in connection to this regime.

Guess you'd have to say which FBGs are having the breakdown. I gave the draft a B or an A. Can't remember which. I think Peters did excellent work. And everyone knows Peters knows 100x what any of us do.

Not you, sir. Just scroll back over the least few pages, there’s a couple. Your takes are generally super reasonable.

Guess you'd have to say which FBGs are having the breakdown. I gave the draft a B or an A. Can't remember which. I think Peters did excellent work. And everyone knows Peters knows 100x what any of us do.

Not you, sir. Just scroll back over the least few pages, there’s a couple. Your takes are generally super reasonable.
I think I have a different take. It's ok for some people to like the draft and it's ok for some people to have problems with it. We can debate the pros and cons of the Commanders trade back for instance without calling one half of the group haters and the other half foolish idealists. There is no need for us to get personal. It is honestly ok for fans to disagree about the team's moves without slamming each other personally.

And I will apologize right now to anyone who I have offended. I honestly have got a lot from this conversation but it is NOT because everyone was just saying the same thing. I like hearing different viewpoints.

Ok off my soap box now. Go Commanders!

I think I have a different take. It's ok for some people to like the draft and it's ok for some people to have problems with it. We can debate the pros and cons of the Commanders trade back for instance without calling one half of the group haters and the other half foolish idealists. There is no need for us to get personal. It is honestly ok for fans to disagree about the team's moves without slamming each other personally.

And I will apologize right now to anyone who I have offended. I honestly have got a lot from this conversation but it is NOT because everyone was just saying the same thing. I like hearing different viewpoints.

Ok off my soap box now. Go Commanders!

I’m not saying anyone can’t criticize the draft or have some different preferences on this pick or that pick…where would the fun in that be? It was the audacious tone that I was taking issue with as it was rather ridiculous. A little of it happening over on the Skins board also. The vast majority are managing to stay reasonable with their disagreements. Anyway, I spoke my piece.

I also like the Commanders draft overall and I support the new regime's approach, but if I'm to quibble just a little, I wish they had wrapped up the second round by selecting LT Kingsley Suamataia - whom the Chiefs are getting a ton of praise for drafting later in round 2 - instead of Sinnott. Suamataia is raw but has rare athletic gifts and plays a position that's tougher to fill than TE. Sinnott looks like a solid player though - the Commanders must've ranked him a bit higher than Suamataia but I'm not really sure why. I guess that's why they pay Adam Peters the big bucks and Harjiran is just a brokeass Monday morning GM. Regardless we have certainly come a long way from the days of Vinny Cerrato. I'm so happy that Snyder is finally gone and I'm excited to see where this team is headed now.

Last edited:
I clipped this part of your post to respond to because it's something I've been thinking about for a few days.

Posters in this thread have declined in number and interest year by year because of the destruction of the team we love by Dan Snyder. It has gone on so long that it's beaten us down, many times into silence. Now he's gone, not to return, but it's been over 20 years since we've had a normal team to root for. It's not unlike escaping an abusive relationship after many years. I'm not saying it's equivalent --- people enduring actual abuse are going through horrific things that wreck lives. It's not equivalent at all. I'm just saying the dynamic here is similar to finally leaving an abusive relationship after many years. We don't automatically know how to act normal any more. This is new. A new owner, new GM who seems very motivated, informed, and willing to make all changes needed, a coach players love who's dying to practice and get this team on the field, lots of cuts of old personnel, lots of free agents brought in with some thought behind the moves, a draft that seems well thought out no matter how each player ultimately works out. This is all new for us. And we're all busting with emotion at being free of the past team abuse. So of course we don't know yet how to act like normal fans of a normal NFL team.

We'll get it. There's hope now.

I am so freaking excited to be a Washington fan this season!!! It feels so good to finally be able to say that again and mean it! :pickle: We are soooooo overdue for some joy and success!!!

But time will tell.
I think it's possible, maybe even likely, that they'd have gotten Sinnott at their original pick in the 3rd. Maybe not, but only 1 other TE was drafted on day 2, so worst case scenario they could've taken Ja'Tavion Sanders with pick 100 (he went at 101).

I'd much much MUCH rather have Cooper DeJean + Ja'Tavion Sanders instead of Mike Sainristil and Ben Sinnott. It's not even close.

I stand by calling this a terrible trade that sent an absolute baller CB to a divisional rival.

I also like the Commanders draft overall and I support the new regime's approach, but if I'm to quibble just a little, I wish they had wrapped up the second round by selecting LT Kingsley Suamataia - whom the Chiefs are getting a ton of praise for drafting later in round 2 - instead of Sinnott. Suamataia is raw but has rare athletic gifts and plays a position that's tougher to fill than TE. Sinnott looks like a solid player though - the Commanders must've ranked him a bit higher than Suamataia but I'm not really sure why. ... I'm excited to see where this team is headed now.

I think some members would remind us that Adam Peters & Co. pretty much inherited all that draft capital & cap space. Sometimes, often perhaps it's pretty clear what a team's plan is. Detroit for example, they signed CB Amik Robertson, traded for Carlton Davis III & then drafted CBs in the 1st & 2nd rounds. A common approach, when a team has a weakness, it's big if they turn it into a strength in one offseason. This has probably been posted elsewhere but we now know who the Commanders were attempting to trade up for:

"The Commanders and the Patriots were both attempting to trade back up into the first round to grab Tyler Guyton..." -
Patrik [No C] Walker (Twitter)

Deduced by another source, when the team failed to get back into the 1st RD, the remaining options weren't deemed to be early 2nd RD values. Predictably, it was expected that Peters would look to trade back, which he did. No OT was selected until after the Washington picks. Obviously neither Kingsley Suamataia or Patrick Paul impressed enough. So they rolled with the CB pick & Sinnott @53. I've read that CB was deep in this class, while TE was thin. After Sinnott the next TE came off at pick 82. Tip Reiman to AZ, more so a traditional, inline TE. Could be that there was a considerable drop-off after Sinnott & they didn't want to risk him still being on the board @67. When they took Brandon Coleman early 3rd, he was only the 2nd OG taken to that point. Accordingly, OG was said to be a deep class. So, their alternate plan seems to have gone very well, aligning with where the value was.

Given that Suamataia & Sinnott both came off the board about within 10 picks of one another, your point is valid. Sure, positional needs but not all positions are equal. Which is more important, LT or TE? It's a no-brainer & Adam Peters would agree with you. But that then would suggest the choice was something else. Suamataia & Coleman came off the board within a handful of picks of one another. We can say perhaps but Peters & Co. had to have known the two were very comparable! The scouting reports below are of Suamataia & I believe was the opinion of the team. Important to note, all three really like this player. However, the first two & I've cited only the weaknesses, do not believe he would do well at LT.

What's bolded is what's consistent from both sources. Now, that 3rd source, Lindy's, they love Sua. They had him as a 1st RD talent & the 3rd best OT in this draft. What I cite from them isn't Sua's weaknesses but rather his strengths. I left out stuff like what they said were his best performances. The problem, for lack of a better word is that it's almost entirely about what he adds as a run blocker. Right or wrong, this is what I suspect was the Commanders view, that both players are going to be all-pro OGs with the chance of playing OT & more likely, RT.

"Average slide quickness forces gate to open prematurely. ... Oversetting creates inside pathways for rushers. ... Suamataia could struggle to handle NFL edge speed in pass protection, but he’s quick enough for move-blocking duties in outside zone and in space. ... The tape is more solid than spectacular, but Suamataia has the ability to become an average starting tackle on the right side." - NFL.com Draft Tracker

"... not a franchise first-round left tackle type. ... susceptible to giving up pressure when pass rushers take him upfield to the backdoor of the pocket and then work hard back to the inside. ... He’s best with leverage and in a limited area. ... I am not sold on Suamataia at either tackle position. Against today’s edge rushers in the NFL, it’s tough when a prospect lacks polish and it’s all based on raw athleticism and effort. These edge rushers know how to test and keep testing tackles until they find a way into the pocket." - Daniel Kelly (former NFL Scout)

"Freakishly athletic for his size & cruises easily through space to reach targets. Able to mirror & contain linebackers as a run blocker. Nimble & able to quickly flip his hips to seal off angles. Plays with naturally low leverage & has the pad level to play some guard if he isn't starting at tackle as a rookie. Able to gather his balance & get back into position on short notice. Has a natural feel for playing into angles & controlling the path of defenders can take in run defense. ... can reach linebackers & even some safeties as a 2nd level blocker" - Lindy's

Thanks for such a thought-provoking response @markrc99 - you make a great point about Suamataia and Coleman coming off the board roughly around the same time. So we might have landed the lineman Peters was targeting all along. Obviously we won't know how this draft went until a year or two from now, but I get so invested leading up to the draft, it's hard to handle the disappointment when "my guy" is available and the team doesn't select him. I was hoping for more help on the OL, but I guess we all need to be patient while this team is being rebuilt from the ground up. It's not going to happen as a result of a single draft, imo, outliers like Houston's turnaround aside.

Users who are viewing this thread