What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (1 Viewer)

WAS might have an interesting choice in the upcoming draft. They could easily pick top 3 if they go 1-3 the rest of the way. So if Caleb or Maye are there, what do you do?
Probably should trade it away. They are more than one player away. Maybe see what a team like the Raiders would give up for it.

WAS might have an interesting choice in the upcoming draft. They could easily pick top 3 if they go 1-3 the rest of the way. So if Caleb or Maye are there, what do you do?
Who do you think we can beat? I think we go 0-4 and we might end up with the 2nd pick in the draft, assuming the Cards and Pats can win 1 more game. Although that seems far more likely for the Cards than the Pats (Chiefs, Broncos, Bills left for Patriots)

Who do you think we can beat? I think we go 0-4 and we might end up with the 2nd pick in the draft, assuming the Cards and Pats can win 1 more game. Although that seems far more likely for the Cards than the Pats (Chiefs, Broncos, Bills left for Patriots)
I think we play the Jets. Seems like we can beat that dumpster fire.

I think we play the Jets. Seems like we can beat that dumpster fire.
Yes, on Christmas Eve. In the immortal words of Norm McDonald: “Happy Birhday, Jesus. Hope you like cr*p. “

It could somewhat mirror the CHI/OSU QB situation from last year before CAR made the horrible trade.

But when CHI had the #1 pick, obviously, there was speculation that they might take Stroud. Stroud was quite vocal that he didn't want to be drafted by CHI because that his buddy Justin Fields' team.

WAS could absolutely be in a spot where Drake Maye makes sense. Drake and Sammy were on the same 2021 team. I don't know how close they are, but when Drake scored his first TD last year, Sammy met him in the end zone celebrating like he'd just won the SB.

Although, not that I doubt Stoud's love for Fields, most any good QB prospect has always been wise to discourage CHI from drafting them.

Being drafted to take Sammy's job would suck, but I really don't want CHI to draft/ruin Drake.

After pondering it for a couple of days, I think they have to take a QB if one is there they like. Obviously Caleb and Drake are the talk now, but J Daniels could also jump up. I like Howell. He looks pretty good. But he's shown some bad tendencies, which he also had in college. He might also be on his 3rd offensive scheme in 3 years if EB leaves. There is zero proof he is the guy. Just hope that he is.

My reasoning is simple. Rarely do you get a chance at a franchise QB. If they don't take one now, they are likely drafting pick 8 or later for years. They did the same thing the year they took Chase Young. They should have gone QB then. And they should now.

I'm not sure I trade Howell either. Let them fight it out. Play whoever wins. Worst case Drake Maye or whoever is sitting the bench a year. If he wins, maybe Howell is traded. But even if Howell becomes a career backup, he's a good one and nothing was wasted since he was a 5th rounder. If Howell wins, the drafted QB is a hot commodity or insurance when Howell's contract comes up.

Yes, we need a lot other than QB. But we have $80M of cap space to sign OL, LB, CB and Edge. And 4 other draft picks in the first 3 rounds.

A chance at a star QB that can win SBs comes along one a decade. They've passed it up before. Can't pass up the chance again.

IMO

Last edited:
I saw a mock that had us trade back with Tennessee and I really liked how it worked out. Lemme find it:

I like the Cards/Raiders trade MUCH better, hoping we can end up with the 3rd pick and make this kind of trade. What a haul the Cards got in that mock!

I saw a mock that had us trade back with Tennessee and I really liked how it worked out. Lemme find it:

I like the Cards/Raiders trade MUCH better, hoping we can end up with the 3rd pick and make this kind of trade. What a haul the Cards got in that mock!
I'd love us to pick 3rd but I'm sure we'll screw it up.

What a perfect night of football for Washington. All alone for the 4th pick, and I think the 3rd is very realistic as the Cardinals are playing better with a healthy Murray. Praying we can get a major haul for a team needing a QB (Raiders, Jets, Saints, Giants) and we trade down.

It will be interesting to see which direction the new ownership / GM goes. And I don't think we will know until draft day itself.

If Caleb and Drake go #1 and #2, it's all moot. Our trade fodder becomes MHJr or a stud OT. An honestly we need the stud LT really, really bad. In that case I suspect we take Alt or Fashanu and protect Howell's backside.

If Caleb or Drake slip to #3, it gets interesting. Do you trade the pick and stick with Howell? Do you take a QB, and play Howell for 1 more year and then make a decision. There's no reason to get rd of Howell if you take a QB. Having 2 never hurts, and they would both be on rookie contracts. I would need at least an early 2nd to trade Howell. Probably more. Gosh I'd have a hard time passing up Caleb Williams. Heisman. Success at OU and USC. Success in HS. Cannon. Can scramble. Nice TD/INT ratio. I'd want a massive haul. 2 -3 first round picks, maybe a player, etc.. At this point I'm far less convinced about Drake taking a team to a SB.

Last edited:
Caleb Williams has shown indications of having headcase tendencies. I've had more than enough of that over the past few highly-drafted QB's, thank you very much.

I doubt it will matter. Caleb and Drake are going 1 and 2. CHI or ARI would trade their pick to someone moving up. NE would take a QB. The odds WAS gets to make a QB choice are slim. So it's OT or MHJr. And you gotta go OT.

Up to this point on the season I have been all in on keeping Howell with new coaches and drafting a possible stud OT at 4. That tackle could be a 10 year cornerstone on the line and extremely valuable. This has seemed like the no brainer move for a while. But Howell has not played great lately. Yes, the line, the coaching, the lack of help from the defense. I know all that. But Brissett came in and balled out with the same group of losers. You can say it was against prevent. But LA had sort of taken their foot off the gas even before that. So, now I'm wondering...do we need a QB as well.

As has been stated here, we're sort of locked on the 4th pick in a way. And if Williams and Maye are gonna go 1-2 and we stay at 4, the no brainer QBs are gone. So, if you game this out, you have several options:

1. Take best Offensive Tackle (safe move...probably you got a 10 year cornerstone on the line...but if you have no QB, you are still in offensive Hell regardless)

2. Trade up to 1 or 2 and take QB (you would then have a great prospect to work with, but you'd given up assets you need on a team with a TON of holes, meaning you have young QB with very little support).

3. Trade down for more assets (sure you are getting lots of stuff here, but at a certain point do we want truly EXCELLENT players, not just good players with position flex, the Ron Rivera method that has failed).

4. Pull the trigger on the next best QB, Jayden Daniels (this could be combined with a trade down scenario possibly. the pro here would be trying to get a QB and a lineman both by trading down and adding assets. The question is, how good is Daniels?)

As I contemplate these four scenarios, I find that a key question is "how good is Jayden Daniels?" If you think he's the real deal, then trade down, take him and get a tackle as soon as you can.

If you are not as certain, then option 1 taking a tackle at 4 is the safest move.

I'm not crazy about options 2 and 3.

So I think I'm with the take tackle at 4 crowd but Daniels is a wild card. What do you guys know about him?

I'm always in the a QB camp, and will be until one proves they are a franchise QB. Worst case you end up with 2 young QBs on rookie contracts (Howell makes $1m this year). That last part is so important, because it frees up salary cap to build an OL and D through free agency. I think WRs and RBs are best added through the draft because they are young and fast. OL is played so different at the NFL level that it's tough to evaluate in the draft, Usually there are obvious studs that go early (probably 3 this year), and after that it's a crapshoot.

Despite all Ron has done wrong, he is leaving them in an awesome situation for cap space. Which is essentially why the team is so bad this year. They left $15M on the table. And have $80M next year. Only 2 teams left more on the table (ARI and amazingly SF).

I think Caleb and Drake are gone unless we get into the top 2 picks. Which we won't. So it becomes LT, MH Jr, or Jayden Daniels. Daniels certainly has the skill set. He has the highest QBR in college by a good amount. He throws a great ball and is mobile. He's super fast on the field. I worry about guys that change teams in college. But times have changed I guess with that.

It's gonna be a tough call for the GM. Fashanu and Alt seem like excellent picks to build a line around. But it's kind of like Anthony Richardson last year. Young, Stroud, then Richardson went a few picks later. I see the same thing this year ... Caleb, Drake, then Daniles a few picks later. So if you want one of the top 3 QBs, they are gonna have to draft Daniels at 4. Not an easy decision, but I think Brissett coming in and looking smooth vs Howell looking worse than earlier in the year makes me want to take Daniels then getting a skill set or OL in round 2. I just don't see Howell taking a team to the SB with his 6' height. Daniels is 6'4". That's no small difference when looking over 6'6" guys on the line

Last edited:
I'm always in the a QB camp, and will be until one proves they are a franchise QB. Worst case you end up with 2 young QBs on rookie contracts (Howell makes $1m this year). That last part is so important, because it frees up salary cap to build an OL and D through free agency. I think WRs and RBs are best added through the draft because they are young and fast. OL is played so different at the NFL level that it's tough to evaluate in the draft, Usually there are obvious studs that go early (probably 3 this year), and after that it's a crapshoot.

Despite all Ron has done wrong, he is leaving them in an awesome situation for cap space. Which is essentially why the team is so bad this year. They left $15M on the table. And have $80M next year. Only 2 teams left more on the table (ARI and amazingly SF).

I think Caleb and Drake are gone unless we get into the top 2 picks. Which we won't. So it becomes LT, MH Jr, or Jayden Daniels. Daniels certainly has the skill set. He has the highest QBR in college by a good amount. He throws a great ball and is mobile. He's super fast on the field. I worry about guys that change teams in college. But times have changed I guess with that.

It's gonna be a tough call for the GM. Fashanu and Alt seem like excellent picks to build a line around. But it's kind of like Anthony Richardson last year. Young, Stroud, then Richardson went a few picks later. I see the same thing this year ... Caleb, Drake, then Daniles a few picks later. So if you want one of the top 3 QBs, they are gonna have to draft Daniels at 4. Not an easy decision, but I think Brissett coming in and looking smooth vs Howell looking worse than earlier in the year makes me want to take Daniels then getting a skill set or OL in round 2. I just don't see Howell taking a team to the SB with his 6' height. Daniels is 6'4". That's no small difference when looking over 6'6" guys on the line

I am kind of trending the way you are at this point...I do wonder if it's possible to trade down a few spots to get Daniels and another # 2. We could really make hay in the second round then. But then you run the risk of someone taking Daniels from you. It's risk reward. If we take Daniels 4 the entire Internet will explode that the Commanders "reached" but honestly that doesn't matter. If he's a franchise QB it would be a brilliant pick. But that's also a big if...

The next GM is gonna earn his money right away. OT is the safe move, but Daniels might be the high risk/reward move to transform the team...

I'm rambling here, but back to picking Daniels ... I think it also depends on what you think of Bo Nix, Michael Penix, and JJ McCarthy. WAS should have 3 of the top 42 picks. One of those QBs is bound to be there in the 2nd round. If one of those guys might be the real deal, then you can go LT in Round 1 and snag a QB in round 2. I've seen them all play, and don't think they are as good as the top 3 QBs. I guess if there's one that might be in that discussion it is Nix.

I know we are mostly in the game thread today ... but damn, this team is horrible. All the coaches will be gone. The GMs and personnel team are all are gone. The following players are likely to be gone for contract reasons ... Brissett, Cam Curl, Logan Thomas, Antonio Gibson. Howell will have to battle for his job with a rookie. IMO Brissett has proven Howell is not the guy. I think Josh Harris ends the Ron Rivera regime tomorrow despite his best intentions to keep him through the year. What's the point of keeping him? He's given up and proven he can't run the D in Del Rios absence. He has no value. Let's move on and get 2024-2025 started.

Never cheered as hard for the Patriots as I am right now.

If they win, our records would be the same. Would we pick ahead of the them or would they pick ahead of us?

We now have the 1.3 pick in the draft. :) And the Cardinals probably have little chance to win at Philly next week, but i would NOT count the Cards out for winning the division rivalry game vs Seattle during the last game of the season. We just might end up with the 1.2 pick!

Thanks Patriots for winning and helping our draft position.
Booooo Bears for winning and lowering the value of the pick we got for Sweat. Other than that the Bears winning is a plus.
Thanks Panthers for trying like hell and almost winning.

Even if the Cards pick ahead of us, they almost definitely take MH Jr.

The question is, take Maye (or Williams if he somehow doesn't go #1) or trade back a bit and pick a tackle and a heap of picks for moving back.

I don't think we have a Superbowl QB but we have so many holes and this class is strong, I think moving back a bit and picking up more picks is ideal.

Merry Christmas Commanders fans! Love having you all to vent my frustrations and thoughts to. Here's to a better 2024 and beyond. Cheers :towelwave:
Amen to that! I hope you other Washington fans are old enough to have at least enjoyed our 3 SB wins. Its been a long time, but those are still wonderful memories!! I LOVE the position we will be in next April. Likely a top 3 pick or yes, trade down if someone wants to be as dumb as we were when we traded up for RG3 ;)

Merry Christmas Commanders fans! Love having you all to vent my frustrations and thoughts to. Here's to a better 2024 and beyond. Cheers :towelwave:
Amen to that! I hope you other Washington fans are old enough to have at least enjoyed our 3 SB wins. Its been a long time, but those are still wonderful memories!! I LOVE the position we will be in next April. Likely a top 3 pick or yes, trade down if someone wants to be as dumb as we were when we traded up for RG3 ;)
I remember rooting for Sonny, Charley Taylor, Bobby Mitchell, etc., back in the 60s. Lots of fun -- we put points on the board -- but we didn't win often. All the SBs were sweet!

Ron is so damn stupid. Starting Brissett this weekend. Not that it should matter, 49'ers should blast us but what's the point in starting him? Why not give Sam as much experience as possible? Are they that set on moving on??

Ron is so damn stupid. Starting Brissett this weekend. Not that it should matter, 49'ers should blast us but what's the point in starting him? Why not give Sam as much experience as possible? Are they that set on moving on??
Because Sam is making it difficult for the offense to do anything.

Because Sam is making it difficult for the offense to do anything.
Did the colts bench Peyton Manning his rookie season when he threw 28 INTs, far more than Sam has I might add....He need to play through this, I just don't see the logic, at all. Probably does nothing but hurt his confidence.

Normally I'd agree with you, but at this point I think Howell is so shell-shocked he's probably not able to play a whole game. He's no longer even attempting throws he's made most of the year. When he does throw god only knows where it's going to go. Reminds me of David Carr.

They damn well better lose their last 2 games, though.

Normally I'd agree with you, but at this point I think Howell is so shell-shocked he's probably not able to play a whole game. He's no longer even attempting throws he's made most of the year. When he does throw god only knows where it's going to go. Reminds me of David Carr.

They damn well better lose their last 2 games, though.
For real!

I think it was John Keim (whose opinion I respect very much among connected 'skins beat reporters), who was speaking on Brissett being named starter for this weekend's game vs the 49'ers.

He made a couple of 'big picuture' observations about why it makes sense, that maybe aren't so obvious at face value.

1. Sam Howell has now started or seen action in 16 games. While not the 18-30-game sample size recommeded by Matt Waldman, it's still a decent-sized body of work. I don't think anyone clearly knows what Sam is/is not, but it's doubtful that 2 games vs the 49'ers and Cowboys, who are both motivated to win and have playoff agendas that will prohibit them from resting their starters, are going to teach us anything new about Howell...and given the state of our Offensive Line, and the tenacity of both of those defenses, who's strenght is destroying the opposing QB, it likely would have a detrimental effect, considering that he's already looks to me like he's playing like a shell-shocked David Carr back in the Texans early years.

2. There's everyone else on the Team to consider. Brissett, at least, can likely run the offense well enough that, even in a likely losing effort, he'll serve as a better medium to give everyone in charge a better opportunity to evaluate the rest of the personnel, and a fair shake to all of them to put out the best showing they possibly can under the circumstances, to anyone and everyone who's going to be evaluating film in the offseason, including personnel folks from other organizations.

Every single person in the organization both business and team side is in an evaluation stage right now, and putting a competent journeyman under center for the final 2 games is probably the most fair thing that can be done for everyone involved.

Hope that makes sense.

Ron knows he is 100% gone, so I‘m sure winning the game is all he cares about. Wish they would just have fired him already Since it’s a forgone conclusion.

I'm fine with Howell going to the bench. We've seen his potential. 2 more games playing scared behind this line isn't going to fix anything.

Lots of guys are playing for their career. Ron Rivera and Jacoby Brissett included. Players at the bottom hoping not to get cut. Players looking for money elsewhere (Curl). That is paramount on 75% of these guys minds. Just as it would be on ours in the same situation. Not everyone is making Payne, McLaurin, and Allen money. $1M a year sound like a lot, but not when your career will end at age 27-35. They need that 2nd or 3rd contract. And if they play well Ron might get another shot with a very desperate team ... where he will again go 5-12 every year.

Brissett is going to be a commodity on the free agent market. It's a very weak free agent market for QBs. Pretty much him and Baker Mayfield. Heck, if I was him I might want to sit at this point. He's proven he can start for teams that haven't found a QB. He's gonna get another $8M-13M contract.

Let the offseason play out. If they can draft Drake Maye or Caleb WIlliams they are going to do it. And they should. If not get the stud OL.

The team really is in a good place for next year. They will be better. They have available cap space. They simply need someone fresh and more creative at the helm, that can bring in better coaches from top to bottom. Ron has so many bad position coaches on this team that it is almost comical.

Currently have the 2nd pick: https://www.tankathon.com/nfl
That's showing Pats with #2. Not sure what changed.
They didn’t have the SOS updated when I linked it. NE has #2. And they play the Jets next week so their SOS will lower while ours will increase. And we beat NE, so need NE to win next week (which is possible).
NE was picking behind us last week though, when we had the same record.

Isn't it based on the record of every single team a team has played all season? So we don't necessarily need NE to win, we need the teams they've played to win. I think.

Currently have the 2nd pick: https://www.tankathon.com/nfl
That's showing Pats with #2. Not sure what changed.
They didn’t have the SOS updated when I linked it. NE has #2. And they play the Jets next week so their SOS will lower while ours will increase. And we beat NE, so need NE to win next week (which is possible).
NE was picking behind us last week though, when we had the same record.

Isn't it based on the record of every single team a team has played all season? So we don't necessarily need NE to win, we need the teams they've played to win. I think.
Oh, true.

Users who are viewing this thread