What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (4 Viewers)

Looks like the questionable MLS business practice of "see which USL teams are popular and then assimilate them like the borg" is still alive and well.

=========================================

Anthony
https://twitter.com/AnthonyKyaw
@AnthonyKyaw

Earlier today, Indy Eleven ownership group Keystone accused the city of backing out from $1.5 billion Eleven project, which includes a 20,000 seater stadium.

Indianapolis mayor Joe Hogsett then announced plans to bid for an MLS franchise with an undisclosed ownership group.

Mission finally accomplished!

Some of you may recall that in 2017 I made the trip to Munich to catch a Bayern match at Allianz Arena. This attempt was foiled by a burst appendix in Munich. Well, made the trip again, and was in the Süd Kurve for todays match. I have to edit say that "we" includes @Desert_Power who did enjoy the matches in 2017 and was with me today.

What an experience!

Last edited:
Messi drew the largest crowd ever for the Revs in Foxboro tonight, over 65k. And Messi was good to his word, playing all game on the dreaded field turf.

With Messi looking fully healthy, he is flying. He leads the league in goals and is tied for first in the league in assists.

He is also the first player in MLS history to have 5 straight games with multiple goal contributions.

We all know the story of Bayer finally ending Bayern's stranglehold on the Bundesliga but did you guys know something similar may be happening in the other Bundesliga?

In Austria, Red Bull have won ten straight seasons. But right now, Sturm Graz is in first by three points over RB. 4 games left in season and they play each other this weekend.

This game ended 2-2. Sturm was up 2-0, gave up 2 late goals.

Sturm Graz is up 3 points with 3 games to play.

How is this different than FFP? And if other leagues do not implement will it hurt the EPL's ability to get players?

Haven't had a chance to read the articles if it is stated.
The specific details of the cap have not yet been decided. This will happen in June.

The cap will be based on the tv revenue received by the team that receives the lowest tv revenue in the league.

In the near term, no team will be forced to spend less than they already do, so no team will immediately have to reduce wages.

This would be a nice foundation piece to build around

=========

MLS expansion club San Diego FC is in advanced talks to sign Mexico star Hirving “Chucky” Lozano from PSV, sources briefed on the situation tell The Athletic.

San Diego is expected to pay a transfer fee of around $12 million to the Dutch club if the deal gets done, sources add. Lozano would become San Diego’s marquee signing ahead of their debut MLS season in 2025.

The deal is not done yet, but sources say San Diego hopes to have it completed and announced before kickoff of this summer’s Copa América, where Lozano figures to be a key player with Mexico

=========

MLS expansion club San Diego FC is in advanced talks to sign Mexico star Hirving “Chucky” Lozano from PSV, sources briefed on the situation tell The Athletic.

San Diego is expected to pay a transfer fee of around $12 million to the Dutch club if the deal gets done, sources add. Lozano would become San Diego’s marquee signing ahead of their debut MLS season in 2025.

The deal is not done yet, but sources say San Diego hopes to have it completed and announced before kickoff of this summer’s Copa América, where Lozano figures to be a key player with Mexico
I don't know if he's injured or coming back from injury, but Tillman has been starting and playing Chucky's spot the last few games.

=========

I don't know if he's injured or coming back from injury, but Tillman has been starting and playing Chucky's spot the last few games.
he came back from a recent injury. I don't know if he is fully fit yet or not.

... He's basically CP, but without the goals.
Chucky has scored more than what you think.

Chucky has 119 goals in 413 club games (1 goal every 3.5 games)
Pulisic has 58 goals in 318 club games (1 goal every 5.5 games)

Pulisic has a better scoring rate internationally though.
He scored 30 goals in 160 games in Serie A, or around the same rate as Christian(and that includes CP's games when he was 17 and 18. Other than that he's played in Eredivisie or Liga MX. Pulisic would score 20+ goals a year in Eredivisie IMO, so it's not exactly apples to apples.

... He's basically CP, but without the goals.
Chucky has scored more than what you think.

Chucky has 119 goals in 413 club games (1 goal every 3.5 games)
Pulisic has 58 goals in 318 club games (1 goal every 5.5 games)

Pulisic has a better scoring rate internationally though.
He scored 30 goals in 160 games in Serie A, or around the same rate as Christian(and that includes CP's games when he was 17 and 18. Other than that he's played in Eredivisie or Liga MX. Pulisic would score 20+ goals a year in Eredivisie IMO, so it's not exactly apples to apples.
I specifically said this season/year, guys. I've watched a bunch of PSV... Don't think I've seen Chucky score yet, although I know he has. Seen him miss a lot.

And I'm comparing the style of play and the position. I'd only watched Chucky in fear/loathing/enemy for Mex before, so it's been interesting watching him just as the guy who combines with Dest. CP is quicker, although maybe not faster. And isn't missing as much as Chuck.

BREAKING: Howard Webb, head of Premier League referees, admits Nottingham Forest should have been awarded a penalty in their controversial game against Everton

BREAKING: Howard Webb, head of Premier League referees, admits Nottingham Forest should have been awarded a penalty in their controversial game against Everton
Just one?

Seriously though, they need to revamp the whole system. VAR is being used to ref when it should be pointing out clear and obvious errors, including on offside.
It has been so poorly handled in England, tear it down and start over.

Just one?

Seriously though, they need to revamp the whole system. VAR is being used to ref when it should be pointing out clear and obvious errors, including on offside.

I wish people would stop using the "clear and obvious" terminology as if that applies to all decisions. Fouls are subjective, but offside either is or isn't

Just one?

I wish people would stop using the "clear and obvious" terminology as if that applies to all decisions. Fouls are subjective, but offside either is or isn't
Yes, you would be correct on offside. And I am not saying clear and obvious applies to all decisions. I am saying that they need to change offside calls to meet the clear and obvious standard. The spirit of the offside law is to eliminate an offensive advantage (or cherry picking). Even used to be considered onside. No linesman can see a toe or knee past the defender, so in their view a player who was even was onside and no one complained (well meaningfully complained and the stats showed like a 98-99% correct call rate by linesman). Then City had a goal scored by a player 3 yards offside and the linesman somehow missed it, helping VAR to be instituted. Then they started looking for ways to chalk off goals, including checking to see if a toe/knee/eyelash/fro was ever so slightly ahead of the defender. There is no advantage there. No reason for it to be better for your player to wear a smaller shoe size than your opponent....

Just one?

Yes, you would be correct on offside. And I am not saying clear and obvious applies to all decisions. I am saying that they need to change offside calls to meet the clear and obvious standard. The spirit of the offside law is to eliminate an offensive advantage (or cherry picking). Even used to be considered onside. No linesman can see a toe or knee past the defender, so in their view a player who was even was onside and no one complained (well meaningfully complained and the stats showed like a 98-99% correct call rate by linesman). Then City had a goal scored by a player 3 yards offside and the linesman somehow missed it, helping VAR to be instituted. Then they started looking for ways to chalk off goals, including checking to see if a toe/knee/eyelash/fro was ever so slightly ahead of the defender. There is no advantage there. No reason for it to be better for your player to wear a smaller shoe size than your opponent....

I think the solution to the offside call is really two-fold. First - and the PL is doing this next season - adopt the UEFA/FIFA AI-assisted technology that renders a near-instant call - who ever is implementing VAR in PL should be sacked because they take too long, and really have no idea what they are doing.

The second aspect - and more to your point - the law itself needs to be changed. I have suggested one of two options - first, and less controversial - only feet can be measured for offside, not knees, heads, shoulders, etc. This still results in some tight calls based on shoe size, but is in keeping with the spirit of "even is on".

The second, and better, though more controversial, option is to change the law to require all of the attacker to be in front of (goal-side) the 2nd last defender - again, does not eliminate the close calls - but now, it will be obvious when a player has an "advantage" and not simply a long toe-nail, so fane will have fewer gripes.

Just one?

I think the solution to the offside call is really two-fold. First - and the PL is doing this next season - adopt the UEFA/FIFA AI-assisted technology that renders a near-instant call - who ever is implementing VAR in PL should be sacked because they take too long, and really have no idea what they are doing.

The second aspect - and more to your point - the law itself needs to be changed. I have suggested one of two options - first, and less controversial - only feet can be measured for offside, not knees, heads, shoulders, etc. This still results in some tight calls based on shoe size, but is in keeping with the spirit of "even is on".

The second, and better, though more controversial, option is to change the law to require all of the attacker to be in front of (goal-side) the 2nd last defender - again, does not eliminate the close calls - but now, it will be obvious when a player has an "advantage" and not simply a long toe-nail, so fane will have fewer gripes.
I have seen the talk on the AI-assisted offside calls. Not sure that will be any better than VAR now in it is still looking for the slightest offside, just doing it faster.

They are actually discussing and maybe ever trialing your third item in lower leagues. I fear it will be similar in complaints, just the opposite side complaining.

And I agree on changing the law. Not sure what the answer is, which is why I suggest moving it to the clear and obvious standard. If you look without lines at the picture, and the attacker isn't clearly ahead of the defender, he's "even" and onside. Should be quick and easy to do. And it is what you would get if a linesman was calling it as well.

EPL race for 4th
Villa 34 mp / 66pts - Chelsea, @ BHA, Liverpool, @ CP (plus Conf League)
Tott 32 mp / 60 pts - Arsenal, @ Chelsea, @ Liverpool, Burnley, City, @ SHU, @ Newcastle

EPL race for 6th
United 33 mp / 53 pts - Burnley, @ CP, Arsenal, Newcastle, @ BHA
Newcastle 33mp / 50 - SHU, @ Burnley, BHA, @ United, @ Brentford, Tottenham
West Ham 34 mp / 48 pts - Liverpool, @ Chelsea, Luton, @ City
Chelsea 32 mp / 47 pts - @ Villa, Tottenham, West Ham, @ NF, @ BHA, Bournemouth

4th: Champions League
5th: Europa League
6th: Conference League

If City wins the FA Cup:
6th: Europa League
7th: Conference League

If United wins the FA Cup they get Europa.
Well Spurs have now made it a race for 5th...

EPL race for 4th
Villa 35 mp / 67pts - @ BHA, Liverpool, @ CP
(plus Conf League)

EPL race for 5th
Tott 34 mp / 60 pts - @ Liverpool, Burnley, City, @ SHU, @ Newcastle
United 34 mp / 54 pts - @ CP, Arsenal, Newcastle, @ BHA (plus FA Cup Final)
Newcastle 34mp / 53 - BHA, @ United, @ Brentford, Tottenham
Chelsea 34 mp / 51 pts - West Ham, @ NF, @ BHA, Bournemouth
West Ham 35 mp / 49 pts - @ Chelsea, Luton, @ City

Title Race

Arsenal's final fixtures - 80
Bournemouth (home), Manchester United (away) and Everton (home).

Man City's final fixtures - 79
Wolves (home), Fulham (away), Tottenham (away) and West Ham (home).
Plus FA Cup Final

Liverpool's final fixtures - 75
Tottenham (home), Aston Villa (away) and Wolves (home).

Saw this on reddit. There is now a scenario in Germany which may force a team to lose a match on purpose to qualify for Champions League.

=========

If Dortmund finishes 5th in the league and wins the Champions League, the 6th place in the Bundesliga will get a Champions League spot as well.

But if Dortmund finishes 4th, the 6th place wont get a Champions League spot. They must finish 5th in order for that to happen. So Frankfurt (comfortably sitting in 6th place right now) must hope Dortmund (who are 5th right now) wont overtake Leipzig (4th).

Frankfurt plays Leipzig on the last matchday. If they beat Leipzig, it could lead to Dortmund overtaking Leipzig, so Frankfurt as 6th wont get a Champions League spot then.

So Frankfurt might have to lose that game if they want to qualify for Champions League next season

Since UEFA competitions were added back in the 50s, Benfica have held the record for longest unbeaten run across all comps for 59 years.

Leverkusen are now just one game away from tying that record.

Saw this on reddit. There is now a scenario in Germany which may force a team to lose a match on purpose to qualify for Champions League.

=========

If Dortmund finishes 5th in the league and wins the Champions League, the 6th place in the Bundesliga will get a Champions League spot as well.

But if Dortmund finishes 4th, the 6th place wont get a Champions League spot. They must finish 5th in order for that to happen. So Frankfurt (comfortably sitting in 6th place right now) must hope Dortmund (who are 5th right now) wont overtake Leipzig (4th).

Frankfurt plays Leipzig on the last matchday. If they beat Leipzig, it could lead to Dortmund overtaking Leipzig, so Frankfurt as 6th wont get a Champions League spot then.

So Frankfurt might have to lose that game if they want to qualify for Champions League next season

German footballers and fans still bemoan the Disgrace of Gijon game. They could never get away with this, especially with the CL final presumably still yet to play.

Just one?

Same with crossing the goal line

=========

German footballers and fans still bemoan the Disgrace of Gijon game. They could never get away with this, especially with the CL final presumably still yet to play.
But Frankfurt has no repercussions for losing that game, right? Only upside? If they lose and BvB loses the final, no big whoop, they're in the same place. But if BvB wins and Frankfurt wins, there is risk to missing out on a CL payday, right?

=========

But Frankfurt has no repercussions for losing that game, right? Only upside? If they lose and BvB loses the final, no big whoop, they're in the same place. But if BvB wins and Frankfurt wins, there is risk to missing out on a CL payday, right?
They are up 6 points on the team behind them I think, so they are not mathematically assured of at least 6th yet so there is some risk but that risk should be known by the last game.

RBL also dropped two points today, making it more likely for Dortmund to catch them.

=========

Id think there would be major repercussions with the Eintracht supporters If they tanked a game.

=========

Id think there would be major repercussions with the Eintracht supporters If they tanked a game.
There's tanking a game and then there's not putting out a top shelf lineup and the players not playing 100%. I might wager on a red card in the game tho...

Also, Benjamin Bloom's vlog on today's Ipswich game, it's a tad low on content but I can allow it given the circumstances, he's one of the best channels for Championship content if you are not already aware of him

And they are up. Remarkable what Rob and Ryan have done with them
Maybe some other teams can operate at a massive loss and get promoted someday.

There’s no chance the two of them aren’t still making tons of money and they have so many things going on with FX with the docuseriws and elsewhere that I imagine saying they are operating at a loss is just looking at the club itself.

I think the plan all along was to use their celebrity and money to get the club promoted to a level where they could at least break even - these guys genuinely seem intent to take them as high as they can and with the money at their disposal and their connections I wouldn’t put it past them.

There’s no chance the two of them aren’t still making tons of money and they have so many things going on with FX with the docuseriws and elsewhere that I imagine saying they are operating at a loss is just looking at the club itself.

I think the plan all along was to use their celebrity and money to get the club promoted to a level where they could at least break even - these guys genuinely seem intent to take them as high as they can and with the money at their disposal and their connections I wouldn’t put it past them.
I like both guys, and it's fun to follow, but it's not remarkable that two mega rich celebs can operate a club at a loss for several years.

If they did it in a normal budget, that would be remarkable. They are basically Man City on a low level.
Like I said, I like them, great guys, but many teams in lower levels could do this is they had unlimited money compared to their peers.

I like both guys, and it's fun to follow, but it's not remarkable that two mega rich celebs can operate a club at a loss for several years.

If they did it in a normal budget, that would be remarkable. They are basically Man City on a low level.
Like I said, I like them, great guys, but many teams in lower levels could do this is they had unlimited money compared to their peers.

I agree with this - my comment should have been it’s fascinating or cool to watch instead of remarkable.

Indeed. They spent £7m on wages to get themselves promoted out of the National League, not even 25% less than what Rotherham spent in the Championship

Users who are viewing this thread