What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (3 Viewers)

Misses the ball... hits the attacker with his left knee and then also clips his right foot with his right thigh... I think it's a clear penalty.

Is it a foul outside of the box? 100% of the time. Therefore it's a penalty. He gets the ball first and it's not, but he missed the toe poke. Maybe you should instead be pissed at your defender for taking such a stupid chance at that point in time.
Which PK was this a video of? Can't open at work for some reason...
The Liverpool one. Although I also thought both Chelsea ones were penalties too.

I hate the term "soft penalty". Its either a penalty or it isn't. Penalties should only be based on whether it was a foul in the box. If it was.... penalty. If it wasn't... no penalty. This whole notion of having to be an egregious enough of a foul to award a penalty is just wrong to me. A foul in the box takes away a scoring opportunity. Whether you scissor kick a guy from behind or lightly brush his foot causing him to trip is irrelevant, you've taken away his scoring chance by fouling him.
I agree with the bolded. People use "Soft Penalty" when they don't think it should be called but don't want to say so. But contact doesn't automatically make it a foul.

Although I didn't see live any of the 3 PKs given up in the last two games, I have seen a lot of analysis on each. Trying to weed out the United fans from neutrals makes it fun.
From what I have seen at least one of the Chelsea PKs and the Liverpool PK should not have been called. The other Chelsea one I am not as convinced it should or shouldn't have been.
I do know that none of them would have been given if it would have given United a PK :boxing: Ever since Klopp opened his mouth a few seasons ago, United has been last in PKs received with several egregious errors (Pellestri is a recent one).

The Championship is a madhouse. Millwall lost to two of the worst teams back to back, but knocked off top of the table Leicester today. Leeds drew. Ipswich have Watford tomorrow. Leicester have 88 points with 5 games left, Leeds 87 with 4 games left, Ipswich 87 with 5 games left.

At the other end of the table, Rotherham are relegated. Then there are 5 points separating 15-23! It's bedlam!

Misses the ball... hits the attacker with his left knee and then also clips his right foot with his right thigh... I think it's a clear penalty.

Is it a foul outside of the box? 100% of the time. Therefore it's a penalty. He gets the ball first and it's not, but he missed the toe poke. Maybe you should instead be pissed at your defender for taking such a stupid chance at that point in time.

It was a reckless and dumb challenge but all the contact is the Pool player hitting AWB. Not as egregious as what Saka did but in the same vein.

And I’m happy they called it - #ETHOUT

It was a reckless and dumb challenge but all the contact is the Pool player hitting AWB. Not as egregious as what Saka did but in the same vein.

I agree with the first. Still not ready to join the fire ETH side yet. Plenty of blame to go around: Players, ETH, Medical Staff, Glazers and the structure of the club.

He had a solid first season. This season has been marred by injuries and off field drama and yet he is still the winningest coach post SAF, is on the verge of a cup final and has scene some breakthrough performances.

-Is he beyond criticism? Heck no. A lot of questionable decisions on lineups, subs for sure.
-Have all his picks of players to bring in been good? No, definitely not.
-Has he been let down by players that seemingly have let down the 4 managers before him as well? Yes.
-Another manager let down by those above? for sure.

I would like to see him get one more year, provided the proper structure is put in above him (which is sounds like is happening). Get some players out that need to go, bring in the right players at the right price. Hopefully they can sort out the injuries, make some good moves with the youth or transfer market.

We need to get off this merry go round of firing coaches after 2 seasons. ETH has more wins in his first 2 seasons than Klopp did in his first 2.

I agree with the first. Still not ready to join the fire ETH side yet. Plenty of blame to go around: Players, ETH, Medical Staff, Glazers and the structure of the club.

He had a solid first season. This season has been marred by injuries and off field drama and yet he is still the winningest coach post SAF, is on the verge of a cup final and has scene some breakthrough performances.

-Is he beyond criticism? Heck no. A lot of questionable decisions on lineups, subs for sure.
-Have all his picks of players to bring in been good? No, definitely not.
-Has he been let down by players that seemingly have let down the 4 managers before him as well? Yes.
-Another manager let down by those above? for sure.

I would like to see him get one more year, provided the proper structure is put in above him (which is sounds like is happening). Get some players out that need to go, bring in the right players at the right price. Hopefully they can sort out the injuries, make some good moves with the youth or transfer market.

We need to get off this merry go round of firing coaches after 2 seasons. ETH has more wins in his first 2 seasons than Klopp did in his first 2.

They are just so bad at the moment and almost always disorganized. I don't disagree you need to give a guy time and constantly changing every 2 years isn't the way to go about it - I just don't think he's the guy.

They are just so bad at the moment and almost always disorganized. I don't disagree you need to give a guy time and constantly changing every 2 years isn't the way to go about it - I just don't think he's the guy.
Fair enough. And I agree, there is a lack of positional discipline and awareness and hustle back on defense. They don't press as a team, they don't stay organized. This is something that falls on ETH. But his depth is lacking and his job is on the line having to start an underperforming Rashford and a poor McT/Maguire and having AWB playing LB all can't seem to be helped.

As long as you don't think Southgate (English GGG) is the answer, then I will listen to your opinion :boxing: (or Potter either)
Would any potential top manager take the job with Bayern and Liverpool open? Other openings might include Barca, Chelsea, United. You never know if Ancelotti is done at Madrid.

Fair enough. And I agree, there is a lack of positional discipline and awareness and hustle back on defense. They don't press as a team, they don't stay organized. This is something that falls on ETH. But his depth is lacking and his job is on the line having to start an underperforming Rashford and a poor McT/Maguire and having AWB playing LB all can't seem to be helped.

As long as you don't think Southgate (English GGG) is the answer, then I will listen to your opinion :boxing: (or Potter either)
Would any potential top manager take the job with Bayern and Liverpool open? Other openings might include Barca, Chelsea, United. You never know if Ancelotti is done at Madrid.

This is where it always breaks down for me as I'm not knowledgeable enough to know who they should go after. You are right that they have other problems in the front office so maybe that should take priority. But they need somebody who can build something with the massive resources at their disposal.

And no, Southgate has done an ok job with England, but I've never been a big fan. He has so much talent at his disposal with them that just about anybody could look decent. I will say he's suprised me with some good runs and I'd like to see them win something with him in charge.

Is the winner of the series based on the total score of the 2 games? So like if PSG is leading by a goal in the next game against Barcelona, they go to extra time? And then a shootout unless Barcelona can come out a goal ahead in the extra time?

Edit: or would it depend on the exact score? Since Barcelona scored 3 away goals, does PSG just have to score 4 goals and be ahead at the end of regulation?

Last edited:
Is the winner of the series based on the total score of the 2 games? So like if PSG is leading by a goal in the next game against Barcelona, they go to extra time? And then a shootout unless Barcelona can come out a goal ahead in the extra time?

Edit: or would it depend on the exact score? Since Barcelona scored 3 away goals, does PSG just have to score 4 goals and be ahead at the end of regulation?
the old "away goals" rule was removed this year.

So it is just pure total goals now no matter where or when they are scored.

If game is level on total goals after the second game is complete, they play a 30 minute OT (not sudden death). If still level after OT, then it goes to PK's.

:thumbdown: :shock:

Bring it back!

There was no real reason to completely gut the away goals rule - but they should have tweaked it to eliminate away goals in extra time - that was too much of an advantage for the away side in the 2nd leg.

Keep it for the full 90, and then if they are still tied and have to play extra time, then it should just be most goals wins - or you head to pens.

:thumbdown: :shock:

Bring it back!

There was no real reason to completely gut the away goals rule - but they should have tweaked it to eliminate away goals in extra time - that was too much of an advantage for the away side in the 2nd leg.

Keep it for the full 90, and then if they are still tied and have to play extra time, then it should just be most goals wins - or you head to pens.
I like it. I am one of the few that likes the away goal rule and PKs so this works for me.

Big news!!

=============================================

Chris Campbell
@SoupInNYC27

The Willets Point Phase 2 Development, including the NYCFC soccer-specific stadium, has been overwhelmingly approved by NYC City Council, only 1 vote against.

NYCFC's permanent home is imminent.

As I understand it, only one step is left and that is the Mayor's vote, and he has been extremely in favor of the project. His vote is expected within the next 5 days.

Note City Football Group is spending money for extra good will to get this done. From the meeting tonight we learned:

• $3m for a community center
  • $200m to local non-profits
  • $1m endowment to CUNY for scholarships
  • $1m to high school career and college readiness programs
  • 1k tickets annually for non-profits and schools

Should be a great place to see a game. Much better than NJ, despite the RBs playing close to transit.
I'm a big fan of RB stadium. And it's pretty easy to get to. But you do have to switch from MTA toPATH.

Even though it's a good hour to get out there, will still be nice to just ride MTA 7 train out there without changing systems.

Should be a great place to see a game. Much better than NJ, despite the RBs playing close to transit.
I'm a big fan of RB stadium. And it's pretty easy to get to. But you do have to switch from MTA toPATH.

Even though it's a good hour to get out there, will still be nice to just ride MTA 7 train out there without changing systems.
I was thinking selfishly about taking the train up from BMore. Way easier to get to RB Arena than to Queens.

Assuming my math is good, if results hold Wrexham is 45 minutes from being promoted again.

And they are up. Remarkable what Rob and Ryan have done with them. So awesome to follow.

So to clarify the confirmed ups and downs so far:

Championship > League One - Rotherham
League One > League Two - Carlisle
League Two > League One - Stockport, Wrexham
National League > League Two - Chesterfield

EPL agrees to new Financial Fair Play rules

The profitability and sustainability rules (PSR) that have capped how much money clubs can spend over the last decade are set to be scrapped from the start of the 2025-26 season and replaced with a similar “squad cost control” rule to the one UEFA adopted in 2022.

The new system, which must still be fully ratified at the Premier League’s annual general meeting (AGM) in June, will work as a shadow to the existing PSR regime next season.
What is UEFA’s ‘squad cost control’ rule?
UEFA approved the squad cost ratio rule at an executive committee meeting in April 2022 as part of its new financial sustainability and club licensing regulations, which also cover ‘solvency’ and ‘stability’.

It replaced UEFA’s previous Financial Fair Play (FFP) system, which allowed clubs to make losses of up to €30m over a three-year accounting period.

The squad cost rule limits a club’s spending on player and coach wages, transfers and agent fees to 70 per cent of their revenue.

UEFA is phasing its rules in over three seasons, with clubs that play in its competitions allowed to spend 90 per cent of their turnover on their squads this season, 80 per cent next season and 70 per cent in 2025-26, which is when the new Premier League rules should come into full effect, too.

So Crystal Palace beats Pool today at +1250 odds, and while that doesn't sink their chances of winning the premiership, you have to think that puts them behind the 8 ball now as City and Arsenal will need to slip up.
However, that's not quite as big an upset as Ross County today, beating Rangers for their first time ever at +1300 or so odds. And that REALLY puts a damper on Rangers chances of knocking off Celtic, especially after a cracking 3-3 old firm match last Sunday.

Needing to rely on Arsenal for anything is not ideal at the best of times, but to stop an oil club winning trophies is a particularly unpalatable situation. Useless Liverpool

Lots of noise about dumping Allegri and Pioli.

Juve in a derby yesterday 0-0... Allegri makes zero tactical changes with his subs and was content to have his players sit deep and play for a draw. Even up a man. And with potential CL spot on the line sitting in 3rd in a slump.

Pioli had some roster rotation today, goes down 1-3 in the 2nd half and makes tactical subs, changing the formation and his team pulls back to draw 3-3.

I can't say I enjoy watching either team play. Attack and goals seems to rely more on individual play than any tactical approach, and it's usually pretty grim stuff. And normal neither guy makes any kind of formation shift to change things up... So kudos to pioli at least.

Mostly they're giving US guys time, so I'm torn about them going if they do.

So Crystal Palace beats Pool today at +1250 odds, and while that doesn't sink their chances of winning the premiership, you have to think that puts them behind the 8 ball now as City and Arsenal will need to slip up.
However, that's not quite as big an upset as Ross County today, beating Rangers for their first time ever at +1300 or so odds. And that REALLY puts a damper on Rangers chances of knocking off Celtic, especially after a cracking 3-3 old firm match last Sunday.

And they did. City's title to lose.

City have been vulnerable this season, so it ain't over until Mrs Christo belts one out.

Curtin does not get enough love :lmao:

============================

https://twitter.com/JTansey90
Joe Tansey
@JTansey90

Jim Curtin: “What does clear and obvious even mean? What’s clear and obvious to me might not be to the next human. Millions of people watch Two and a Half Men and I think it’s the dumbest show ever. It’s clear and obvious to me that it’s terrible.”

I was at the match yesterday and felt like the ref(s) had a bad day.

- Martinez should have been sent off for throwing the ball away. Ridiculous inconsistency as it's 100% a yellow, every time. The only reason he didn't send him off was because he had a yellow already.
- Philly's 2nd goal (which was a fantastic goal) shouldn't have counted IMO. Player was over the line and in play on the throw in. https://twitter.com/DougRobersonAJC/status/1779622804951826696/photo/1
- The offside goal ruled out for Philly wasn't offside, IMO - should have counted.

City have been vulnerable this season, so it ain't over until Mrs Christo belts one out.
It's true. I still expect another few twists and turns in the final 6 matches.

Man City's final six fixtures
Brighton (away), Nottingham Forest (away), Wolves (home), Fulham (away), Tottenham (away) and West Ham (home).
Plus Champions League and FA Cup

Arsenal's final six fixtures
Wolves (away), Chelsea (home), Tottenham (away), Bournemouth (home), Manchester United (away) and Everton (home).
Plus Champions League

Liverpool's final six fixtures
Fulham (away), Everton (away), West Ham (away), Tottenham (home), Aston Villa (away) and Wolves (home).
Plus Europa League

Spurs fighting for top 4 will have a lot to say about the title race.

I LOVE these!!!! Especially the first 2.

I have no idea why these are happening during the season instead of at the beginning of the season but I will take what I can get.

=======================

Ben Wright

@benwright

NEW: MLS will implement three new "competition initiatives" this weekend.

1) Off-field treatment rule. If an injured player is down for more than 15 seconds, they will have to stay off the field for a minimum of two minutes to receive treatment.

2) Timed substitutions. Subs have 10 seconds to leave the field. Failure will force the incoming sub to wait 60 seconds, during which their team will play down a man.

3) In-stadium VAR announcements. The referee will announce and explain decisions, similar to NFL referees.

I have no idea why these are happening during the season instead of at the beginning of the season but I will take what I can get.

=======================

Ben Wright
@benwright

1) Off-field treatment rule. If an injured player is down for more than 15 seconds, they will have to stay off the field for a minimum of two minutes to receive treatment.

2) Timed substitutions. Subs have 10 seconds to leave the field. Failure will force the incoming sub to wait 60 seconds, during which their team will play down a man.

3) In-stadium VAR announcements. The referee will announce and explain decisions, similar to NFL referees.
I like #2.

Have to see how #3 works but could go a long way to helping. They seem to like it in Rugby.

Not sure about #1. People don't realize how certain things can sting or hurt then subside. Would be curious to see what affect it has and if the desired outcome is the same.

=======================

Ben Wright
@benwright

#3 is badly needed. Tired of having to get on my phone to figure out what was called.

Saw a news bit today about about fifa refs looking at punishing GKs with the 6 sec rule being punished by lost possession- throw ins or corner kicks- instead of indirect free kick.

The article mentions that refs were loathe to call it because the indirect in the box created unfair advantage and bedlam.

How about they start with actually calling it first and then figure something else out. Like basketball refs ticking off the seconds when the balls in the backcourt.

And lol...I thought it was supposed to be 10 secs, not 6. So the 20-30 secs GKs actually take makes it even worse.

Saw a news bit today about about fifa refs looking at punishing GKs with the 6 sec rule being punished by lost possession- throw ins or corner kicks- instead of indirect free kick.

The article mentions that refs were loathe to call it because the indirect in the box created unfair advantage and bedlam.

How about they start with actually calling it first and then figure something else out. Like basketball refs ticking off the seconds when the balls in the backcourt.

And lol...I thought it was supposed to be 10 secs, not 6. So the 20-30 secs GKs actually take makes it even worse.
:goodposting: and :banned:

Exactly right. 6 seconds. Stop trying to change the rules to get more action time when you can actually enforce rules on the books that are there to stop time wasting.

And effing soft refs afraid to make a call? BS. They make calls that "create unfair advantage and bedlam" all the damn time. It would take all the refs calling it over one weekend and it would absolutely stop.

Damnit Flop, now I am all fired up about the stupidity of refs again. Its bad enough when they make bad calls or are just bad refs. Don't make it worse by saying something stupid!!!

"refs were loathe to call it because the indirect in the box created unfair advantage and bedlam." Absolutely asinine reason for not calling it.

:censored::wall:

My 10 year old son broke down crying after Atleti blew their lead in CL this afternoon. He said, "Atlético will never win a Champions League."

He's probably right.

Users who are viewing this thread